MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

on 6/22/2015 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have oily skin that just wont keep my makeup in tact a whole work day (8am-5pm). After reading a few dozen reviews on this powder, I bit the bullet and ordered this from online. The container is much smaller than I assumed it would be after reading the reviews, but I can tell there is a lot of product in there and it'll last a while. This product does exactly what it says it will, and I'm in love. I do disagree with other reviewers about the holes being too big/too much product being wasted. You just has to be using the right brush! Like a kabuki :)
(I've already rebought this product. One container lasts me about 4 months.)

on 6/7/2015 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Quite shocked that I haven't reviewed this as this was one of the very first products I swapped for when I started here on makeupalley. This powder is everything! I used to use it in conjunction with the MAC prep+prime primer but I never repurchased when that finished. This product lasts a long time. I think the reason why I do not reach for it all the time is my travel schedule. My pressed powders get all the love when I travel for obvious reasons. One tip of the container and I have a huge mess. Anyway, I love the finish this gives my makeup. I am MAC NW45 so pretty dark and delicious. This blends seamlessly and does not make me look ashy or give my pictures a white cast. As a matter of fact, I am of the opinion that this sets my makeup so beautifully that I always look better with this on my face than I do with the blot powder. For some reason I do not think the particles in the blot powder are as fine as the ones in this one. This noticeably reduces shine associated with my oily skin and it the perfect finish before blush and lip gloss. I will certainly repurchase, I recently got the pressed version for travel as I think I am done with blot powder once I finish my current one.

on 4/21/2015 12:01:00 AM

Does a really good job at smoothing out find lines and pores. I have repurchased. Just wish it held up longer on my oily skin. But that's a struggle I battle with all makeup. I love this!

on 3/11/2015 8:23:00 AM

I really like this setting powder. Really good for setting your foundation or concealer, makes the skin look so good and smooth. It feels amazingly soft on the skin and I have nothing to complain about regarding this product. Absolutely love it, and I would definitely buy it again.

on 3/11/2015 5:43:00 AM

Perfect powder for setting my foundation! Soft, light and velvety, applies smoothly and the overall finish doesn't cake or feel heavy. No complaints for basic everyday use :-) However... I will only use this powder for daytime wear to work, as it helps my foundation last throughout the day. For all the other times (nights out/special occasions) I avoid this product completely. Flash photography will leave you with a ghostly white flashback face :-( which is a real shame as this is actually a really good powder. Apart from this one flaw I have found, I would still recommend this product to anyone looking for a good finishing powder as it does the job and it is perfect for daytime wear! Just beware of the flash ;-) xo

on 2/27/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

So basically there are pro's and con's to this product but I really feel the pros far outweigh the cons. This powder is perfect as a day time powder. So the pro's
1. it sets your make up amazingly
2. stops any under eye creasing (mine was extreme). With this powder my under eye does not crease at all
3. matifys your skin
4. keeps make up in place, ALL DAY. it does not budge at all!
During the day there is not apparent white finish
5. Normally I have to touch up, especially under my eyes and my cheeks, with this I do not have to touch up at all

Cons
1. I would never suggest using this if you have a wedding / party etc as photos are normally taken at these events and this product under FLASH photogoraphy leaves such an apparent white mask, almost like you have chucked talc powder the areas you put the MAC product
That is the only con. don't use this if you know you will be having photos with flash taken as the white powder will be so visible.
Other than that, its the perfect day time powder and night if you aren't having photos taken

on 2/20/2015 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I wanted something to set my new Holy Grail foundation, the stuff I used to set my makeup with didn't work, as it was just a normal face powder. So I found myself here.
I chose the MAC one because I vaguely remember it having very good reviews and I needed it quickly. MAC doesn't disappoint with products like this!

Packaging- The packing of the transparent powder is a standard loose powder container, the bulk of the product is held in the 'bottom' of the contain, on top is a shelf with holes poked through so product can sit on top of it, making sure you don't get too much on your brush. Very practical!

Formula- The formula of the of the powder reminds me of talc powder.Its white, it's very silky, very smooth and feels like velvet, its also thin and goes a long way so you need much, which means you won't run out quickly.

Wear/Feel- As I said, I brought this set my very liquidy foundation which I found hard set the usual way I tend to set foundation. I apply this with a real techniques powder brush. If there is some in the lid of the product I swirl my brush around it or in the top shelf. This gets the right amount of product on the brush. It was easy to apply, simply sweet it on and add more to the places that have shine if you wish to take away shine. Loads of people have been saying that it creates a white cast, thats because they have applied to much. This does not create a white cast on me at all. I also apply my bronzer on top of this, then use setting spray after. I generally think this is meant to set FOUNDATION and not much else. But that is what I wanted. Don't put to much on and you'll be fine :) I'm not sure how well it deals with darker skin but its honestly fab on light skin.
I love using this to set my eye makeup also, just brush a small amount over eyeshadow or eyeliner and it will stay in place ALL day.
Price-20.50 which I am totally happy to pay for.

Overall- I will be repurchasing this when it runs out, its now part of my everyday makeup routine. There is also a pressed version of this which I may try also. This is great for foundation that is difficult to set!

Update- My skin at the minute seems to go crazy when ever I apply MAC to it, whether it be this or any of their foundation. The powder did break me out and made my face extremely itchy, and I have stopped using it, I have since started using BareMinerals Mineral Veil for me its better as it doesnt break out. However I am still keeping this in my makeup collection, its fab for setting foundation that just wont set with other powders or by there selves and is perfect for setting eye makeup! Please MAC remove harmful chemicals?! You will get a lot more trade if you do.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This powder does what it's supposed to - works wonderful with all foundations I've tried. My face stays matte and smooth all day, and I don't feel the need to reapply during the day. It does not show off as a white cast, something I've struggled with when it comes to other transparent powders.I prefer the pressed powder over the loose one, basically because I feel like you get more control of the amount of product. I've repurchased this twice and I'm going to keep repurchasing it.

on 2/8/2015 6:39:00 PM

MAC Prep + Prime is my #2 powder pick. It gives me perfect polish and very slightly whitens my face. I use it when I want to be fancy.

My #1 pick is RMS "Un" Powder. It's absolutely invisible with great performance (blurs imperfections, mattes shine). RMS gives me a very natural and believable look.

Powders I like less than the above:
- MUFE HD Powder goes a bit white for me and I'm very pale. It also catches on dry flakes.
- Laura Mercier Loose Translucent is more beige than white and blends into my skin pretty well but I think gives an overall dull appearance.

on 1/30/2015 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Apart from the occasion where i'm throwing a tantrum, this is my favourite finishing powder. I have tried them all, every powder in the world you can name. I like my skin to look like my skin, i tend to put this over some concealer and that will be it for my base and it makes me look flawless and MATTE. Use too much and you will have a slight white cast, but as soon as the wind blows and an hour passes, it just looks like you woke up like this.

Over any foundation, it keeps it matte, much better than Vichy or anything else talc-based which always irritates my skin and makes my face red for some reason. Even in the rain this baby holds and so you don't get an embarrassing white streaked face (if you just use plain arrowroot or cornflour, this happens).

I have really sensitive, acne prone, oily/combination skin, and this doesn't irritate (no redness or spots) and keeps me shine free pretty much all day. It's expensive, but there's a ton always being sold on ebay for less, so if you're feeling uncomfortable for forking out for something you are unfamiliar with, just get one on there and you can always pass it on!

As for the packaging, can people get over it, powder does get everywhere no matter what. I've never had a packaging for a powder that has somehow magically contained all the powder within the base. Even with the posh twisty things in some of Bourjois, Smashbox etc.

Lastly, this is very different from the pressed version for some reason. The pressed irritated me and didn't mattify as well or for as long at all... so if you're going for one or the other, i would choose this one.

Recommended for Normal Skin