Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere

4.2

This is a VERY light interpretation of the original, more suitable for the younger ones or people who don‘ t like heavy perfumes. The Chanel 5 DNA is still there, of course, but it is not as bold as the Edp or aldehydic as the Edt. The 2007-2014 juice was sparkling, champagne-like, it was sunshine in a bottle. The 2015 reformulation has lost that quality and seems kind of mute to me. Furthermore, it is so watered down, it barely lasts more than an hour. Not only on me, as I ascertained. Considering its price, it is a waste of money. Had it better longevity and sillage, I would certainly buy it again, but for this quality, no. It just bears the name of a legendary perfume and brand without being worth either.

Full disclosure: I adore No. 5 in all of its permutations. This is another "cover" of the iconic fragrance masterpiece.

If you do not know the scent of No. 5 parfum as a reference point, I urge you to try it. If you shy away because it was created in the 1920's and you feel it is old fashioned, you need to understand the elegance of timelessness. It smells like nothing else on earth. You may sense flowers, woods, animal notes, and a bit of fruit, but nothing jumps out ahead of the pack. The cause for that may be the high concentration of aldehydes, those elements that make a perfume tingly, a bit bubbly, light and refreshing like the bubbles in champagne.

If the parfum is a symphony, Eau Premiere is a solo from the woodwind section, where the dryness and zing of citrus stand out from the composition proper. There is more crispness, more subtlety, and even what I am ashamed to call a unisex element. (This is a silly term in 2016, and I use it only to make a point.) It is less creamy and floral, but still refreshing and joyful. This can go to the office with you and bring you pleasure while you fiddle with spreadsheets and monthly reports.

One more analogy: The parfum is K.D. Laing's version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. Eau Premier is Rufus Wainright's version.

To Read all 175 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this from Sephora.com (so I kno it's authentic) & I love it! It's like vanilla ice cream w 7up, sparkling, effervescent, fizzy, creamy, lemony w a bit of tart! So I kno it was said that the Fantasy/Pink Sugar/Juicy set would not like this (I have varied slightly strange taste), I find that I like both my gourmands AND once in awhile a floral! I like No.5 but I'm kind of broke so for $65 to get over an ounce was attractive, I'll buy No.5 too but I couldn't afford to get both. Great summer scent like an Arnold Palmer in an icy glass on a hot day--so refreshing! This reminds me of the KY Derby & "my old KY home" or horse shows, some enchanting evening of a rainbow sunset peppered with polite applause, a whoop & hollar when my back number is announced & the exhilaration of glory, of the victory (NOT the agony of defeat, I'll save that for a wilted day late in August), it's the perf scent for the petite equestrian, you know the charming, ambitious one who works hard soaping saddles & has perfect form in the straightness of her spine down to her glaring perfection & an easy elegance. If you are confident in your form but are always trying to improve yourself in some way or another & u work hard but play harder let me introduce you to EP! #winning

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This perfume has broken my heart.

Chanel perfumes are like a work of art, a masterpiece to behold and respect, even if you don't consider yourself a perfumista or don't like fragrances in general.

Chanel is the opera music of the perfume world, the Rembrandt painting next to the cardboard cutouts that pale in comparison. The Chanel brand puts their heart and soul into every perfume, and Eau Premiere is no exception.

But. And this is a big but, unfortunately. This perfume does not last. And for $132 a bottle, it should last more than an hour.

Still though, when I close my eyes and inhale the soft, powdery sugared lemon cookie scent of this wonderful fragrance, I think this must be what heaven smells like.

Chanel, please fix the longevity. Please, I beg you. This perfume is so beautiful it deserves its own spot right where it belongs, on center stage.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really love this fragrance. It has everything I want in a scent. I've made it my signature fragrance because it smells sophisticated and sexy and is a bit more subtle than Chanel No. 5. It's has a delicious and sexy top note and dries down to a gorgeous complex floral. I don't really know how to describe fragrances but I do know that this one is very complex and unique. I reserve it for special occasions and for times when I want to be perceived as sophisticated and sexy but in an understated way. It works perfectly with a LBD or with jeans. It's very french and smells expensive (which it is). I bought it when Sephora had it's FF deal so I did get a discount, which makes me very happy. I absolutely love this scent and wish I could afford Chanel clothing but this is the next best thing. I definitely recommend this fragrance highly. If you want to be enveloped in Chanel, it's a great choice.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I am a huge fan of the original Chanel No 5 and Eau Premiere is a nice younger sister of the original. While the former is quite sharp and strong to start with Eau Premiere is much softer, yet manages to remain clean, soapy, creamy, powdery qualities of the original No 5. It is not a very memorable fragrance and one that wouldn't offend anyone which, considering that I generally like stronger fragrances that are either loved or hated by others, I still could put up with it. One thing that I truly can't stand about Eau Premiere is its longevity or rather the lack of it. I could literally spray myself with it from top to bottom and yet after about an hour there would be hardly anything remaining. While I usually get many people ask what I'm wearing with other Chanel fragrances, no one has every complimented me on Eau Premiere either and I truly believe it is because no one can smell it. I've never had this sort of problem with other Chanel fragrances even when I used to buy the cheaper EDT in the lack of funds to purchase more expensive EDP or pure perfume.
All in all a nice fragrance but one that will quickly be forgotten and due to the issues with lack of longevity one that is most definitely not worth its price. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Clean, creamy, sweet, soapy floral that's powdery, fizzy, and completely uplifting, yet smooth, warm, inviting and comforting as it dries down. Not cold, heavy, starkly aldehydic, or impersonal like No. 5. To me this fragrance is the emotional antithesis of No 5 EDT, it's gentle, calm, pure, and quietly enigmatic in its easy, relaxed confidence. No dark angel, no femme fatale, no uptight glitterati.
The dry down smells like a baby, or maybe the 80s Cabbage Patch dolls. I was intrigued by this phenomenon. Traditional baby products in North America share many accords with No. 5, powdery, aldehydic, soapy, creamy, floral, vanillic and musky. So no wonder I'm reminded of a freshly bathed and powdered infant, (or the delicious vintage Cabbage Patch doll smell), during Eau Premiere's wonderful dry down. I have both late 2014 and mid 2015 bottles, one from France and one from the US. I detect no difference between them.

Definitely recommend testing this beauty.
I really love it. While it isn't captivating like No. 5, it is soothing, easy to wear and just gentle and beautiful, I find myself reaching for it more than any of my other fragrances. In fact it's becoming my every day choice, my desert island fragrance.

The longevity sucks, especially for an EDP. That's my only issue. Because reapplication is necessary, I bought another larger bottle to have on hand as I go through it quick.

I love this perfume. It's so soft and beautiful. The top notes are lemony and sparkling. The next phase is very well blended notes of jasmine and rose. The dry down is a very comforting vanilla. I think this perfume smells of pure class! It's Chanel.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have always heard wonderful things about this fragrance. It is a classic staple scent for a lot of women. Being a perfume junkie I was excited to test it out and potentially discover a new favorite. I went to Bon Ton today and tested this on my wrists...it is one of the most horrible perfumes I have ever had on. Whatever is in it must not mix well with my pheremones because all of Chanel's scents I tried were so bad on me, I would not wear them even if they were free and I had no other perfume to wear. It smelled like a thirty year old bottle of Avon on me (I actually know what tha smells like, my Mom has some of those collector bottles) and it is a dead ringer. I would love to smell this on someone who loves it on them. I just can not imagine this smelling good on someone, although I understand it can. This is not a fragrance I would blindly order, test it out first.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Other, Medium

I tried the Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere twice at Macy's Chanel counter. What a lovely fragrance! I'll agree with those reviewers who write that this fragrance wears off after an hour --- you are so correct!!! At $130 a bottle I'd expect a better product from Chanel.

Popular Fragrances