Biotin (All brands)

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
 Biotin (All brands)
Biotin 2 weeks growth (I take Biotin 10000mcg daily)

3.2

on 2/3/2016 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Biotin has definitely helped my hair to grow faster, and possibly thicker, though probably not softer or shinier. When I was getting my brown hair bleached regularly, the root regrowth was super crazy, way beyond any normal rate. I've been taking it for about a year now, and it definitely works, but you have to be careful and patient with it. It can cause breakouts and takes a while to work, but it's worth it if you stick with it.

I started at 1000mcg, the lowest possible dose, and started taking both a daily zinc and vitamin b complex supplement (I later increased the dosage for both, but I can't tell of any results yet), a silica supplement, and started drinking a bottle of water a day. If I had any breakouts it was no more noticeable than usual (my acne seems to be mostly hormonal, if that helps). When I ran out, I upped the dose to 3000mcg, then 5000mcg and 10,000mcg, all whilst keeping relatively clear skin (I've since found a cleansing routine that works for me).

I'm currently on a dose of 12,000mcg, but I'll be going back to the 10,000mcg once that's done as I think that gave me the best results. I don't know what would happen if I went up to 20,000mcg.

Don't start with a high dose, and don't give up after two weeks; it took about three months for me to see real results, but my hair is now far better than it was before.

on 1/14/2016 12:41:00 PM

Backstory: a few months ago I trusted someone to take me from black hair to blonde. Stupid, I know. They ended up RUINING my hair by bleaching it 3 times in one day so I had to cut my long hair to my shoulders. I first started taking fish oil but wanted to switch to biotin since fish oil is large and tastes gross. I bought the nature’s valley 5000 mcg from Walmart because the 2500 mcg bottle said to take 2 daily so I figured I would just get the 5000 mcg and just take the 1 daily. I started beauty school in September, right around when I started taking the fish oil and started having massive breakouts. My teacher said it was from getting a lot of facials and chemicals in the air, but it was bad. I’ve never had painful acne and acne on my neck, it was embarrassing and killed my self-esteem. I was also taking one a day women’s gummy vitamins which had hair and nail support in them. I switched to the biotin approximately 2 months ago and take one daily with half of a hard women’s vitamin. I haven’t noticed any growth in my nails and have noticed some growth in my hair. Fast forward to now, I haven’t taken my biotin as regular for the past few days as I was busy and was also sick. On Saturday, my face completely dried up, no joke. All of the excess oil I’ve been experiencing has disappeared and a lot of the acne and redness I had has dried up and gone. No joke. I didn’t really notice it at first on Saturday because I was busy doing mine and other’s makeup for a wedding but I haven’t worn any makeup the past few days and haven’t really washed my face (bad I know) and I’ve noticed how much clearer and dried up it is (both the excess oil and the acne) I still have some but it is nowhere near what it used to be. I’m almost 100% positive this all was caused by the biotin and fish oil I was taking. I’ve read biotin can make you break out and to drink a ton of water and I already drink a ton of water as it is. I’m going to continue not taking it to see if the rest will disappear and update. My hair has always grown pretty fast so I think I’ll just let it just grow back in naturally without any aids. Not worth the risks.

on 6/11/2015 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Warning....DO NOT take this stuff if you are already acne prone. I decided to try Biotin at 500mcg because I wanted to grow my hair out and read that it would help it grow faster. While that may be true, what they don't tell you is that if you are already acne prone it will clog every single pore with gunk from the inside out. Seriously - I ended up with cystic acne with hard white cores in them that needed to be extracted by my derm. One of them even made a tiny icepick scar. I had sebaceous filaments sticking out of my chin to the point where they were above the surface of the skin and excess sebum literally oozing out of my pores.

I am only giving this two stars because it did make my hair grow. However, who cares if you have long hair if your skin is a mess....never again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took biotin for 2 months. I would take one 1000mcg tablet 3x per day (one with each meal). I have adult hormonal acne, and biotin did not affect my skin. I didn't notice any immediate results, so I stopped taking it. About 2 1/2 - 3 months later, I noticed my fingernails were growing longer and thicker. I used to have thin nails that split/cracked easily. Now they are beautiful. I will definitely start taking the biotin again because it helps my fingernails A LOT!

on 12/30/2014 10:05:00 PM

I used several brands, thinking maybe the brand wasn't that great. I was wrong. Biotin and me just don't mix well.

First, I experienced triple the breakouts. I already have acne prone skin so you can imagine having that tripled. HORRIBLE! I decided to wait thinking it'll get better. I read online that you're supposed to drink a ton of water to not break out. I drank a ton of water, but was still breaking out. After a month or two, my breakouts were not as bad but still. As someone who already had acne, having more acne (even if its just a few) is a huge deal to me.

To make things worse, my hair, nails, and skin, did not improve. Everything was pretty much the exact same.

I'd say try it, it may work for you!

on 11/11/2014 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Biotin gave me the breakout from hell, and no change with my hair. Use with caution.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'll start off by saying I stopped taking this after 6 weeks due to an acne explosion. On my forehead, cheeks, chin, chest, and back. I don't typically break out in that quantity, especially on my forehead and back, and I've discontinued taking 5,000's + e gummies (hair skin and nails) for ~2 wks, and have noticed a huge improvement. I drink a lot of water due to a low carb diet, but that didn't seem to help.

I was taking this supplement to help with hair loss due to hypothyroid, as well as growing out my pixie. I don't think I took this long enough to see any hair improvement, but I did notice stronger and quicker growing nails. That was awesome, but not enough to make up for the skin issues.

on 7/3/2014 1:49:00 PM

Over the last year I have been wearing tight ponytails and my hair towards the front started thinning. I purchased biotin about 2 weeks ago at walgreens and religiously took a pill daily and 14 days later my problem area is full of hair. My baby hairs have grown an inch, which is a miracle in this short time period. Not to mention, I do have acne history, and this did not break me out!

on 3/21/2014 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Biotin did wonders to my hair. It made it longer, shinier, and prettier. However, it made me break out like CRAZY. I am not the only one this has happened to you can look it up It's so sad because the product is wonderful but has terrible side effects. Once I stopped taking Biotin my acne went away. Such a shame!

on 3/15/2014 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

LOVE THIS!! it makes my hair so strong and it is growing. I take 5000mcg a day anytime i feel like it and it works. the price is great wait until they are on sale !

Popular Treatments