MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

on 11/19/2018 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I've been using this since July, it's now late November, and this is my new standard light moisturizing foundation. I'd been looking since Estee Lauder d/c Double Wear Light, and reformulated it. I like this way better.

Light coverage. It won't hide the sunspots on my right cheekbone, but it does nicely blur them and somehow makes all red marks, freckles and sunspots blur into the background leaving a nice clean glowy finish that looks like my skin but radiant. No shimmer, just a dewy glowy look.

I have dry sensitive skin, oily T zone, rosacea, redness, sunspots, freckles and I'm NW15 in MAC. In Face and Body, N1 fits me perfectly.

No reactions, no pimples, no white bumps, red bumps or rashes. Just great looking skin that you can't tell I'm wearing any foundation on from morning till night.

It is sheer, but you can build a bit. If I'm really wanting to hide my sunspots on my cheekbone, or a really red spot, I dot a tiny bit of concealer on and tap it in, and set that with a kiss of finishing powder but most days I don't bother. This is my foundation for my no makeup makeup days.

I do set it very very lightly with a large fluffy brush and some translucent finishing powder if I'm using powder blush, but if I'm using Clinique's chubby stick cream blushes (Amp'd up Apple is a favourite) then I leave it dewy and it does just fine.

I love the extra moisture but for anyone with less than dry skin, you might need to set this for sure. For anyone with aging dry skin, it is wonderful. I wear it over top Jose Marans SPF 47 argan sunscreen which is also super moisturizing.

Just a suggestion, MAC will always give a nice sample to try so when you get them to figure out your shade take it home and try it in daylight. Some MAC people are better than others at matching people, others are right out to lunch and way off.

If you are NC or NW 15 or so then try the N1 first. If you are NC NW 20-25 try N2.

on 6/22/2018 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I have normal skin and wear N1 in this foundation. I prefer light coverage that allows my freckles to show, and will not tolerate heaviness from any product. This is my foundation when I require one. This can be layered without detection. Shake well. I apply it over Dr. Carver's Miracle Serum, then moisturizer (various brands from drugstore, ranging from 30spf to 50spf, depending on how I feel), using my hands in downward strokes for each product so that facial hair lays flat, applying foundation only where needed -- above brows, nose and around nostrils, nose-to-mouth lines, old acne scarring on neck (two coats). It is undetectable in northern, natural light. I forget I have it on. No powder is required. It does not settle in lines. It's still on at the end of the day. My skin has never had a reaction to it. I always require the addition of Cerave eye cream under eyes and Maybelline NY Better Skin Superstay Concealer in Light.

on 5/10/2018 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have mature, dry/combination skin and several lines and furrows. In cool weather I like to use a mineral powder foundation over some serious skincare layering, but find that doesn‘t hold up well throughout the day in summer.

This is where Mac Face and Body comes in. It gives me the light, natural-looking coverage I like and it stays put throughout the working day no matter what I have underneath it: moisturiser / oil, primer / no primer, chemical sunscreen / mineral sunscreen.

It doesn‘t settle into pores (Becca Aqua), slip around or crease (Bourjois Healthy Mix), or leave my face feeling dry (Chanel Perfection Lumière Velvet).

The colour isn’t a perfect match. Good matches for me are Mac Pro Longwear NW15, Chanel BR12, Becca Porcelain, EL Doublewear 1C1. In Mac Face and Body, N1 is the closest but veers yellow. It does even out my skin tone well, and it’s definitely good enough for light coverage in summer, but I‘d like to see a W range alongside N and C.

The consistency took me by surprise when I first tried this foundation: it sets seriously fast. These days I dot it on, spread it rapidly with fingers, and then switch to a buffing brush as soon as it goes tacky. It does buff beautifully well.

There is the niggle over the shade range, but I‘m still giving this five stars overall because at the moment I‘d be stumped to find an alternative that looks and feels so good for so long.

Pros:
- Lovely soft feel once on.
- Stays and stays: unusual bonus in a light-coverage foundation.
- Enhances radiance while still looking natural.
- Bottle is easily transportable.

Cons:
- Application has to be fast.
- No rosy tones.
- Bottle isn‘t pretty.

on 4/29/2018 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After wanting to try this for years I found a limited color selection at Nordstroms. It was a little difficult finding a color to begin with as they tended to be yellow based even in N. This foundation was such a let down. No coverage. Did not look nice to build upon. And where is the dewiness? Yes, i doubled up on moisturizer but still was just awful. Returned.

on 3/26/2018 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've become spoilt by that Mac F&B tacky/sinking in magic. You know-that point where it just melts into your skin and feels like it's become one with your face? Just a few weeks ago I finished up a bottle of the C1, and figured I'd tuck into a Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua I'd purchased earlier this winter (B10-wee light, but still doable on my nc20 skin). The Chanel is very nice, don't get me wrong. And I'll happily finish up the bottle. Especially at $50 bucks a pop. But the kicker is that, while the Aqua is pretty similar to the F&B in density, texture, and watery ease of application, I'm still waiting every morning for it to sink in like the F&B would do. And, of course, it doesn't. No offense to Chanel there, as I've never had any other liquid foundation do what F&B does.
And I miss it! Oh, and the Aqua is a bit of a lighter coverage foundation than the F&B also. Not too much, but I can still tell. So there will come a day later this year when I'll happily return to that old F&B magic!

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

Dislike. It has some good qualities because its definitely buildable, but the coverage is sheer and its sticky and requires drying time. You have to be really careful with color match. It doesnt wear well unless you use primer and fixing spray

on 8/25/2017 2:43:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I don't get it. This foundation scores really high. I understand that it's a sheer, light foundation and now know that it might be fine for those with perfect skin who don't need to cover anything.

I have dry, mature skin at 61 with some but minimal discoloration. While this didn't dry out my skin further, it covered nothing. Not redness, not Light freckles - nothing. So I guess I don't see the point. I tried to build it up to medium coverage but that didn't happen. I can't really say anything about staying power cause I took it off and put on medium coverage foundation.

Does it look natural? Totally so - for me the same as before I put it on.

Unfortunately, as it did nothing for me, it's going back.

on 3/14/2017 2:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This foundation has long been on my list to try. I heard about a dewy natural finish and that seemed great.

I am a few months shy of 60, and I have enlarged pores and some sagging. I do not have many wrinkles.

The texture is very thin and it applies very sheerly. For a few moments, the finish is tacky and sticky. This subides. The coverage is virtually non-existent, and if you have things to hide, this won't do it. The finish is not really dewy in the traditional sense, but it is extremely natural. So natural, in fact, that it looks like nothing. You may get a more even looking tone, but in my case, that effect was slight. I have had similar effects from drugstore tinted moisturizers. It is more of a sheer wash of neutral tint than a foundation. I had to layer on MSFN to get more coverage.

Maybe this is just what you are looking for. It does not do much for me, and I doubt that I will repurchase this product. I tried it because it is less money than Clarins Skin Illusion which is my HG. I should know better at my age, but I guess that hope springs eternal.

Update: Never been one to refuse to admit that I am wrong. I am wrong. I've been using this a couple of months now. While it is not Clarins, it is good. I am liking the very natural coverage more and more, and if I need more coverage I add a layer of MAC MSFN. I have gotten many compliments on my skin. I WILL be a repeat buyer.

on 1/18/2017 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ladies, this is a surprisingly perfect foundation for aging skin. I've been wearing MAC face and body foundation for a couple of months now and I can safely say it's my holy grail.

Back in my late thirties/early forties I regularly used this. Eventually, I got away from MAC cosmetics and tried several other foundations without success, nearly all accentuated fine lines and wrinkles, or just looked too "obvious" for my taste. For reference, my skin is not my best feature, a pale peaked looking youth with dark circles as turned to mature adult over exposed to the sun and suffering from dryness, lines and spots related to that over-exposure (and life!).

This time around I I decided to try it again as the "face and body" intrigued me. My neck and décolletage could used some help I figured (works great on those areas). So after at 15 or so year away from this product I tried it again. On the face, this foundation feels sheer upon application and works better applied with fingers than sponge or brushes. Blended, it dries to a dewy, natural finish and is easily buildable it you want more coverage. It simply refuses to settle into fine lines and also blurs imperfections. No drying, creasing, and it stays put all day too. Works well with MAC's loose powder for a matte finish. Does not contain SPF but for me that is a plus since my daytime moisturizers always have SPF and it seems unneeded for evening wear.

The packaging is a thin plastic which allows you to see what is left. It has a squirt top which allows you to decide how much you need rather than those pumps that decide for you. It can get slightly messy with product around the top but no biggie just wipe with a tissue and cap it.

If I were to find one complaint it would only be that the shade selection is not extensive, however in my personal opinion less options are better because who ever gets it exactly right anyway! I use the shade N3 and it's a good match for me.

on 5/27/2016 1:39:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

With mature skin, and if you don't want a "makeup-ey" look, THIS is great stuff! I consider myself to be fair-to-medium and use the N3 which is a nice, neutral, natural-looking match.

(Shake the bottle REALLY well first) and then what I do is apply several drops on back of my hand, and dot it over my face. I let it sit for about 30 seconds or so until it gets a little tacky to the touch, then use my fingers to apply. Works great that way and provides a nice, light (but decent) coverage. (A gal at Mac suggested the "wait til it's tacky" trick which I'd read somewhere else before, and it really makes this water-based foundation apply nicely.) Then wait a minute or so if you want to build up a 2nd coat, which you can easily do.

It's like that old sayin' "your skin but better". To me, that's exactly what it is! Natural, yet better than bare skin, unless your skin is pretty much perfect.

I usually apply a very light dusting of RCMA no-color powder over my very oily t-zone as well.

And FYI I just discovered the RCMA brand - well-priced (cheap!) and such a light, non-cakey powder - excellent product! I also like the Tarte Smooth Operator which is very similar (seems to be basically the same thing) to RCMA, but RCMA is about 1/4 the price. I simply got the small samples of both since they last a long time and are so easily portable. When it's time to re-purchase a setting powder, it's definitely going to be the very inexpensive RCMA brand. Great stuff.

This is a unique foundation (probably due to it being water-based. Yay!) and soooo nice looking for mature skin.