4.4

I bought my curlformers as a last resort to try and save my hair from heat styling. I have a lot of fine, baby blonde hair that easily gets damaged and breaks off with regular heat. I love having my hair curled and was using a curling wand for years. After a good haircut to get my damaged ends off (I now have collar bone length hair) and doing a lot of research I decided to get curlformers because they are completely heat-less. I bought them at Sallys because they have a 60 day return policy just in case I didn't like them, but I won't need that because ABSOLUTELY LOVE them!!! I have been using them for about a month now and I can already tell my hair is staying healthier! The curls turn out beautiful each time, and they last all day! I got the wide curlformers (the yellow and pink) because I love looser curls. Even when its humid outside, the curls turn into beautiful waves. It looks like I've blow-dried and curled my hair without the time or damage! I do have a few cowlicks in my hairline, so I use a straightener to flatten those out after I take them out or to help smooth any slight creases that may occur from the top of the curlformers as well. ( I twist my hair in the direction of the curlformer to help with any creasing problems also) I figure a little heat from a straighter is way less damaging then a whole routine of heat styling. I do use a smoothing serum to help contain any frizz and light hairspray to hold. If you're having problems with tangling, make sure that you are pinching the top of the curlformer the whole time while pulling your hair through it, I noticed that if I forgot that step my hair would tangle and knot if i didn't. I am excited that my ends are still healthy! I've already recommended them to my friends who have bought and love them as well! I have slept in them and also put them in during the morning for a couple hours while getting ready etc. The longer I leave them in the stronger the curl, but either way turns out nice. The only thing I would change is the steep price, but even with that I think they are worth the cost! My friend has had hers for over 10 years with no problems. Definitely recommend these to anyone whose looking for a heat-less and easy way to curl your hair!

yes yes yes. There is not a single product on the market as creative, that makes your hair look great,and is easy to do. No you can not sleep with these overnight. I tried it, lets say I needed a neck brace afterwards. Great for any texture hair pair with setting lotion. Mix curl sizes. A must not a lust.

on 1/23/2015 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I waited until my birthday month in order to use my b-day coupon on the Curlformers. (I got the jumbo pack with 30 formers and 2 hook-pink and orange) I have fine hair that about mid waist length. Overall it's difficult for my hair to hold a curl without TONS of hairspray.

I find there is a learning curve. Especially if you have tangle prone hair.
1. Apply to damp hair-not wet hair.
2. Make sure the hook is facing up, not down toward scalp.
3. If tangles happen, due a smaller/thinner section.

I prep hair with leave in WEN and dollop of mouse. Then apply the curl formers.
I can sleep in these "curlformer" but it's a little lumpy. Great curls the next morning. I just spritz some sea spray and scrunch, then set with hair spray. These curls last much longer then when I use hot rollers or irons to do my curls.

I personally would prefer a wand like a "topsy tail" rather than this hook to help prevent tangles.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

First, I purchased these from eBay and I am positive I do not have the "real" curlformers as mine are slightly off color from the ones that you can purchase from either the website or Sally's. With that said....I LOVE THIS HAIR STYLER! They are amazing...I have long, African American, extremely frizzy/curly/wavy/thick hair that is really long (approx 16-18 inches, and it was previously longer before cutting). I use either the extra long and wide curlers (1 inch curl), the extra long curl formers (1/2 inch curl), or a combination of the two. I have tried them both air drying and under the drier and I have to say I prefer the drier. I do not like to sleep with huge things in my hair, and I also like to separate the curls and pin curl them. To apply them, I usually use a leave in conditioner or curl cream and a bit of light oil. Sometimes, I will use a bit of gel, but I prefer a softer curl, so I usually do not include gel. After applying them to my hair, I either go to sleep, or sit under the drier. For my hair porosity, length and thickness, it usually takes about 2 hours to be dry completely. With that said, I cant sit still so I probably get up a few times. If for some reason my hair is not all the way dry before I go to bed, I will throw a few flexirods in my hair that are the same size as the curl, and take those out in the morning. To maintain for the week, I usually pin curl before bed, or throw in a flexirod or two (I do this if the curls drop a significant amount, and I want to make the curl tighter, without using heat).

I do not like applying tons of heat to my hair, mostly because I like my hair "fluffy", and I do not want to damage my natural curl pattern. Curlformers are my go-to styling tool as of late, I usually apply them a 2-3 times a month on wash day, and I will continue to use them. When my hair was longer than the 22 inch curler, I would twist my hair from the root a few inches, and then put the curl former in my hair...this works just as well. Also, sometimes I will run a warm flat iron through the roots.

Love these!

I applied these to damp hair and left until my hair dried naturally. When I removed them my hair was WOW. Volume added and curled! I brushed out the curls as I prefer a more wavy look but next time I will use thicker sections of hair to get that wavy look! Curls are tight and look great.

Add some Moroccan oil in damp hair and again once they have been removed with a touch of hair spray and you are good to go!

on 10/11/2012 10:32:00 AM

I purchased a non-brand name equivalent and spent $22 (plus $2 shipping) on 40 extra wide/long curlers (on e b a y). My daughter has very long straight hair. I watch a few tutorials on youtube before trying them on my daughter.

They key is to use a small amount of hair for each curler. When I tried to use a bigger chunk the hair got tangled. When a small amount the hair slips through the curler very easily. Also, the hair should be wet and we used styling product (lightweight mousse) to hold the curl.

I used a total of 35 curlers on her long hair. Next time I'll make ever smaller sections and use all 40.

I alternated pink and orange to give the curls a more natural look. It probably took 20-25 minutes once I got the hang of how to use them. She threaded the wand for me as I separated the next section and gave the roots a little twist. We used no heat as she slept on them over night. She did not complain about them being uncomfortable to sleep on and she just turned 14 so she tends to complain about a lot!

It only took me about 7-8 minutes to remove all the curlers this morning. If the curls come out wonky simply twist the hair around your finger in the same direction the curler was in and it reforms into a perfect spiral.

We used a bit a hairp spray to hold the curls and she was off to school. We could have done a lot more styling (clips, barrettes, etc.) but she was thrilled with the bouncy spirals!

on 4/26/2012 9:50:00 AM

I bought curlformers couple of weeks ago. Iíve been using them almost every day. I love it. I put them on before I go to sleep, and take off in the morning, then brush my hair and ready to go. Nothing else is needed. Curls are neat and shiny, doesnít matter how many times I brush through during a day time, they form back in to beautiful spiral curls. People keep approaching me and ask, if these are my real curls or how do I achieve such a natural looking curls. Firstly, I do have thin hair, so I donít need a lot of curformers for everyday basis. I use about 10 of them in total. Another story, if I go out at night and have a lot of time to spare during day time, then I use a lot more. Secondly, I donít fix them very closely to the roots. In fact, I donít need to. I only worry about dry ends, so I just fix curlformers a bit above half line starting from ends, so I have enough free space for my head to rest during night. Another thing, I donít put curformers on completely wet hair, because they stretch easier and break. I prefer to use some serum or argan oil, which not only give shine but help hair glide inside the curlformer.

on 7/11/2011 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This is my first review!

I purchased curlformers to help me transition from relaxed to natural hair. I have thick hair that looks about 3c. I really like this product. It took some getting used to and trial and error. But now it's a breeze.

Some issues I ran into...

-Hair tugging on the hook: I resolved this by working with at least damp hair. Even if it's just dampened with leave in conditioner or detangling spray. Also, it's important to section off the hair into 1 or 2 inch sections. Then twist the hair at the root. By twisting at the root the hook will grab on better and hair won't slide out of the hook as you slide the curlformer on.

-Uncomfortable to sleep in: I resolved this by keeping the curlformer about an inch AWAY from my roots. If you are at the root you will NOT be able to sleep at all. The roots never came out ugly, so I continue to keep the curlformer away from my roots. Finally, I put the formers in so that they don't touch my face. (I wear side bangs, so install the curlformer so that it lays to the side and not on your forehead. Part your hair before you start.)

-Frizzy Hair: This is more of a hair issue than a curlformer issue. The results always came out great! But then my hair would frizz up. I switched leave in conditioners and added some oil to my hair. Now my style stays :o) So it's important for your hair to be moisturized. You might also want to try a setting spray.

Now that I'm used to the curlformers it takes me about 30 minutes to put them in. The latest I've put them in was about 1:30am and by 7am they were dry. I do use a microfiber towel to get out some of the excess water if it's a shampoo day. So that probably helps with drying. I purchased the salon kit, which comes with 40 curlformers... but I didn't need that many. I probably used about 20 at the most. Also, I have the long and wide kit, that comes with 6 short and wide. My hair is about 3-4 inches shorter than shoulder length, so that makes the curlformers too long for me, but the shorter ones the kit came with are too short and only work on my bangs. Therefore, I think I will be able to get a lot of usage out of these before my hair gets too long.

I will keep using these. I haven't noticed any breakage or tension breakage either. And to me these are easier to sleep in than bantu knots.

I hope this helped :o)

on 3/7/2011 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Love these. I have naturally wavy hair that I have never been able to wet set. I have tried magnetic rollers and mesh rollers. I do not really know my hair type, but it is not course, and it is not overly wavy either. I have never been able to get close enough to the roots when I used the other methods to wet set my hair. At 8 dollars a pack(including shipping) I originally bought the magic leverag on ebay, which is the knock off of these. I bought two packs which comes with 18 rollers per pack. It had 9 short per pack and 9 long per pack. These were both to short for my hair, which is to the middle my back. They worked just like the curlformers and were worth it because out came with two hooks and used two of the curlers. But I did have enough, so I went and bought 3 packs of the extra long curlformers and was able to do my whole head. These are very easy in my opinion, but I did see how others were messing up so I made sure that did not happen to me. I would say if your hair is not long, go and get the.ebay version. you will save over 50 dollars. I did not. sleep in them, I sat under the dryer, so I can not really say if they are comfortable not. but besides that I love them.
Update:
I slept in these, and I have no clue what anyone is talking about. They are as uncomfortable as any hair rollers that you sleep in. It is okay though because I do not usually sleep in rollers. Still a great product

on 1/26/2011 1:39:00 PM

I really, really like these! I have 4A hair and I am typically challenged when it comes to styling hair. These were extremely easy to use and the curls (I use the short wide curlformers) came out smooth, shiny and bouncy. I used them on damp hair with Jane Carter's Wrap and Roll and a touch of Nourish and Shine and slept in them overnight (pretty easy to sleep in, I was aware they were there, but they did not interfere with my sleep). It probably took me 30 mins to set my entire head. The next morning my curls were completely dry and perfectly formed.

I have already ordered some more of these as I also tried them in my 4 year old and 6 year old daughters' hair and they LOVED the beautiful curls too. They also easily slept with the curlers in their hair. These are going to be a regular go to item when it is time to do hair in my house.

Side note: I transitioned to natural hair by having my hair set on flexi rods in a salon . . . a look I really like, but I never mastered the technique myself so I had to get it done at the salon if I wanted it to look decent. That said, I think actually prefer the curl I get with the curlformer. I seems to elongate my hair more and the wide curlformer gives me a looser, "wavier" curl than the flexriod.

Popular Hair Styling Tools