Hot Tools Curling Iron Spring Grip

4.1

I love this curling iron. I have 2 sizes, 1.5 inches and 2 inches. I bought them 2 years ago and they still work. Before buying them, I had a conair ceramic curling iron, and it left my hair shiny, but the curls fell out after a few hours. This curling iron does leave my hair a little dry, but the curls last until I wash them out. It has a variety of heat settings, and it's worth the price, I bought them for about $30 each.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am basing my rating on two of these 1" curling irons. My first iron's spring gave out only eight months into ownership. I sent it back to the company which sent me a new curling iron plus two additional springs. I have fine, super-straight hair and the heat I get from this iron is sufficient to give me the curl I need for some of the day. It doesn't hold unless I use an airplane glue-strength hairspray following curling.

My rating is also reflected in the fact that a year and two months following the company's replacement of my curling iron, the curling iron completely gave out. It hasn't been overheated, overused or abused in any way. It's plugged in for approximately 5 minutes before I use it and for 15 minutes during use daily. No more. These irons literally are a piece of crap.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am not surprised of the high rating here as I know that you get fantastic curls with this one BUT it burns your hair. Your hair is in direct contact with metal. A coat of ceramic lessens the damage on your hair. That is why I am opposing any gold plated or iron plates barrels as these are very damaging and should be taken out of the market. Hot Tools is a great brand but buy the ceramic coated ones not these.

The point of this review is to say: what sounds better on paper does not always perform that way. You will see numerous reviews stating that ceramic/tourmaline is the preferred material for styling tools because of the lesser risk of damage, etc. The sales assistant at Sally's actually recommended the gold curling iron over the ceramic/tourmaline one (the purple one). I was skeptical, so I went ahead and got both to see which I liked better.

The ceramic/tourmaline iron was an immediate disappointment. I do have to say that my hair is thick, fine, and very hard to curl. Whatever "curl" I got with the purple iron was a frizzy, limp one. The comparison between the ceramic/tourmaline iron and the gold iron was night and day. The gold iron is much easier to use (because it is lighter, maybe the ceramic/tourmaline material is thicker?) and gives the most fabulous, longlasting curls. I've fallen in love with the iron so much that I got it in four sizes (3/4", 1", 1-1/4", and 1-1/2") in the XL barrel length. My hair is right past bra-strap length & the longer barrel is especially beneficial for that. I will probably get it in a 2" barrel if it came in the XL length.

One piece of advice: I bought 3 of the irons from bestclippers.com (not affiliated) for a cheaper price than Sally's. These irons have a rubberized handle for a better grip, a heat resistant pad, and come with 2 replacement springs. The 3/4" one is the only one I got from Sally's. Strangely enough, the Hot Tools website does not list the 3/4" in a XL length. The Sally's version has a plastic handle, which makes it slightly less heavy than the irons with rubber handles. However, it does not come with any replacement springs. The Sally's version is still a great iron with the same build quality and features, but the differences are worth pointing out.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

In my video I demo the 1 1/2" spring barrel!

I like this iron a lot! It gets super warm (up to 430 degrees) and does the job. The large barrel gives me nice big curls and it's quick to do. Curls last multiple days (my hair is super good at holding curls). I also have one in a smaller size that I used to love! I think the smaller one is 1/2" so now that my hair is longer it's too small for me to use every day.

This curling iron is okay. Nothing more. It curls your hair pretty nicely, but the curls fall out within the hour. I have thick but fine hair, so perhaps this isn't suited to my hair type, but it just doesn't do the job for me. I used to have a CHI that worked much better than this before, but have recently fallen in LOVE with the Solano curlers - I don't even need to use hairspray and my curls will stay for days - something I have NEVER been able to say before and something I certainly cannot say for the Hot Tools iron. The handle is nice on this one, and the 1.25" barrel makes pretty curls, but I am going with the longer lasting curls instead!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I don't get the hype around the brand Hot tool. This curling iron pulls the hair. It is not smooth to use. I bought another one from Mat & Max and what a difference! I'm giving this away I hate it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is by far the best curling iron I have ever tried and have had mine now for well over 5 years. I used to use Revlon and Conair, as well as a few other brands before. I will never go back.

This thing gets the job done quick and is very reliable. This one is in the large barrel and I love the large curls it gives. It's easy to clean and looks great with the gold finish. I have saved money as well by putting out a little more on this and not having to buy new ones every year due to failure of the tool.

Super disappointed with this curling iron.
I have smooth, thick dark hair and i was just looking to get some curl/wave.
It does work, however, my hair was so dry right after i used it ,and even worse the day after.
Not sure if it's the type of barrel, but i am almost positive there are better curling irons out there. Skip this one!

Quite simply the perfect curling iron for my thick, wavy hair. The 1" barrel heats quickly and evenly and creates smooth, natural curls that last all day. It also came with extra springs, to ensure a tight clamp every time.

Popular Hair Styling Tools