Hot Tools Curling Iron Spring Grip

4.2

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

In my video I demo the 1 1/2" spring barrel!

I like this iron a lot! It gets super warm (up to 430 degrees) and does the job. The large barrel gives me nice big curls and it's quick to do. Curls last multiple days (my hair is super good at holding curls). I also have one in a smaller size that I used to love! I think the smaller one is 1/2" so now that my hair is longer it's too small for me to use every day.

The point of this review is to say: what sounds better on paper does not always perform that way. You will see numerous reviews stating that ceramic/tourmaline is the preferred material for styling tools because of the lesser risk of damage, etc. The sales assistant at Sally's actually recommended the gold curling iron over the ceramic/tourmaline one (the purple one). I was skeptical, so I went ahead and got both to see which I liked better.

The ceramic/tourmaline iron was an immediate disappointment. I do have to say that my hair is thick, fine, and very hard to curl. Whatever "curl" I got with the purple iron was a frizzy, limp one. The comparison between the ceramic/tourmaline iron and the gold iron was night and day. The gold iron is much easier to use (because it is lighter, maybe the ceramic/tourmaline material is thicker?) and gives the most fabulous, longlasting curls. I've fallen in love with the iron so much that I got it in four sizes (3/4", 1", 1-1/4", and 1-1/2") in the XL barrel length. My hair is right past bra-strap length & the longer barrel is especially beneficial for that. I will probably get it in a 2" barrel if it came in the XL length.

One piece of advice: I bought 3 of the irons from bestclippers.com (not affiliated) for a cheaper price than Sally's. These irons have a rubberized handle for a better grip, a heat resistant pad, and come with 2 replacement springs. The 3/4" one is the only one I got from Sally's. Strangely enough, the Hot Tools website does not list the 3/4" in a XL length. The Sally's version has a plastic handle, which makes it slightly less heavy than the irons with rubber handles. However, it does not come with any replacement springs. The Sally's version is still a great iron with the same build quality and features, but the differences are worth pointing out.

To Read all 51 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am not surprised of the high rating here as I know that you get fantastic curls with this one BUT it burns your hair. Your hair is in direct contact with metal. A coat of ceramic lessens the damage on your hair. That is why I am opposing any gold plated or iron plates barrels as these are very damaging and should be taken out of the market. Hot Tools is a great brand but buy the ceramic coated ones not these.

Super disappointed with this curling iron.
I have smooth, thick dark hair and i was just looking to get some curl/wave.
It does work, however, my hair was so dry right after i used it ,and even worse the day after.
Not sure if it's the type of barrel, but i am almost positive there are better curling irons out there. Skip this one!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I don't get the hype around the brand Hot tool. This curling iron pulls the hair. It is not smooth to use. I bought another one from Mat & Max and what a difference! I'm giving this away I hate it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is by far the best curling iron I have ever tried and have had mine now for well over 5 years. I used to use Revlon and Conair, as well as a few other brands before. I will never go back.

This thing gets the job done quick and is very reliable. This one is in the large barrel and I love the large curls it gives. It's easy to clean and looks great with the gold finish. I have saved money as well by putting out a little more on this and not having to buy new ones every year due to failure of the tool.

Quite simply the perfect curling iron for my thick, wavy hair. The 1" barrel heats quickly and evenly and creates smooth, natural curls that last all day. It also came with extra springs, to ensure a tight clamp every time.

This is the only curling iron that actually curls my hair, and makes my curls last all day! Wish I had this in high school.. Heats up very fast, not heavy, the cord is nice too because it swivels around makes it easier to use.

This is for the gold series large barrel curling iron. Well it does get hot but it leaves a crease in your curl. Also, I have only had this for 6 months and now the leaver that opens the barrel has become very stiff and creaky and it sticks!! This is supposed to be a 'professional' curling iron. Hardly... I remember I had a flat iron from them that a couple years ago that broke within the first year too. I would never buy a product from this company again, sorry.

I love, love, love the GOLD hot tools curling irons. At the risk of dating myself, I have used these curling irons since the late 80's (eek!) and would never use another brand. Hot Tools irons are perfect. They are lightweight, heat evenly, have a strong cord that is super long and durable and get super hot for my thick, curly red hair. They are quality, durable tools that no home or professional stylist should be without. I currently have the 1" , 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" irons and am looking into a tapered iron. One of them I have had for over 10 years!

One caveat is that I recently purchased the Hot Tools Tourmaline (purple) wands. Have to admit I was not that crazy about them and returned them almost immediately...espcially after reading how many others had issues with the purple coating peeling off after only a few uses.

So my advice is why mess with a good thing? Go for the GOLD and you can't lose!!!

Popular Hair Styling Tools