Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70

3.0

PPD: 9.1 ||| Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3.0%), Homosalate (15.0%), Octisalate (5.0%), Octocrylene (2.8%), Oxybenzone (6.0%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Styrene Acrylate Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6 Naphthalate, Beeswax, Caprylyl Methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, BHT, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Acrylates C12 22 Alkyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Trideceth 6, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disodium EDTA, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, 9.1

on 7/6/2016 11:41:00 PM

I probably wouldn't use this alone, because it is really thick, but a drop of this mixed in my hand with a drop of moisturizer (Olay Pro-x Sheer Daily)is perfect for my daily face routine. I feel both protected and moisturized without feeling weighed down.

on 6/28/2016 2:05:00 AM

I'm using the second bottle now (Indian version and spf 50). The harsh summer here aggrieves the redness on my fair tone and this product works really well for me and my mom. I like the minimal fragrance for my sensitive skin. Doesn't make my skin oily and no reactions. Overall it does the job really well. One point off only because I'm looking for good mineral sunscreens now rather than chemical based (viz this one) that may ensure long term health benefits. But until then this is best for me!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I so regret buying this product and getting myself stuck with two tubes of this horrible sunscreen. I have dry skin year around, especially after using retinol products. This sunscreen dries my face and makes dry patches even more visible. It leaves a kind of powdery finish, yet it rolls and makes it impossible to put foundation on it. The high amount of avobenzone stains white clothes and irritates my sensitive skin. Nevertheless, I find it offering satisfying protection from broad spectrum of UV rays.
In one word, I would never recommend it, nor buy it again!

on 6/6/2016 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this product. When applyed to the body it sinks in immediately. When I use it on my face after moisturizing, of course that doesn't happen. But it's still a lot less greasy than other SS and most importantly: it doesn't sting my eyes or burn on my skin.

All other SS give my sensitive skin the worst rashes and it burns after applying. Even my beloved Vichy Ideal Soleil started doing that. The neutrogena one is SOOOO gentle. It also doesn't dry out my skin which is a huge PLUS.

I will take this to a festival to really test it, but I'm already sold. Best SS I've ever tried.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I think they may have changed the formula .... I used to LOVE this sunscreen for my face, but now it doesn't rub in completely and leaves a more noticeable white cast. It does work well for beach days, working out, etc. as it has more staying power than other sunscreens. It's also very gentle on my Retin-A sensitized skin. However, I just don't think that it rubs in well enough to use as my everyday sunscreen. My search continues - I love my DermaDoctor Ain't Misbehaving SPF 30, but I use too much sunscreen everyday to keep shelling out $32 for 4 oz.

on 6/9/2015 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this sunscreen! Most sunscreens make my already oily face feel even more oily and greasy than usual, but this soaks in really well. After about ten minutes I can't even tell I'm wearing sunscreen. It does feel a little greasy the first few minutes after application, so I give it five to ten minutes to soak in before applying my primer and Revlon Colorstay foundation. I don't think it has any affect on my makeup. The only downside is that it sometimes leaves a little white residue on my neck/jawline once it dries. I just blend that in or rub it off right before applying makeup and I'm good to go!

on 9/8/2014 10:33:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I bought a pack of this stuff on sale at Costco, and I regret it. I feel obligated to use it up because it was more expensive than most drugstore sunscreens, and I got stuck with 3 tubes instead of just 1! This stuff reminds me of medicated ointment due to its smell and its thick, white texture. It leaves difficult-to-remove white residue all over my skin and everything that I touch, sit on, or brush up against (clothes, car, purse...). I also feel like it clogs my pores because after a weekend of slathering myself with this stuff, I develop painful and lingering pimple-like bumps in weird places, like behind my ears. I looked it up and sounds like cystic acne, which totally baffled me at first- I have dry skin, no history of acne, and no hormonal reason to break out. This is honestly the worst sunscreen ever, and that's including the cheapo no-name stuff that my mom used to buy when I was a kid that made my face feel like it was on fire.

on 6/5/2014 1:34:00 PM

I, like many others, was attracted to this sunscreen because of the high spf. I think that's the main selling point of this sunscreen. I got it last fall. I have since learned a little more about sunscreen and I think this sunscreen's spf is too high, for me at least. Here's what I've heard about spf: the spf number doesn't tell you how complete the protection is, only how long it will last. You take the number of minutes it would normally take you to turn pink(burn or begin to tan) normally without any sunscreen and multiply that number by the spf number. Let's say it takes me about ten minutes in the sun to start tanning/burning sans sunscreen. 10 times 70 spf equals 700. I would theoretically be able to spend seven-hundred minutes in the sun while wearing this sunscreen and not tan. Seven hundred minutes equals more than eleven hours! That may sound great, but notice I said theoretically. The truth is that I would probably sweat most of the sunscreen off in less than two hours. In the real world there is no way a sunscreen is going to last on skin for eleven hours. It needs to be reapplied every few hours regardless of spf. Furthermore, I don't know about you, but I have NEVER spent eleven consecutive hours in the sun in my life. I need a good sunscreen because I get a lot of sun walking to and from work. But I'm only out in the sun for at most 20 minutes at a time. Unless you are a life guard, a beach bum, or a laborer I'm guessing you probably don't spend more than a couple hours in sun at a time on an average day. And if you spend more than that, you absolutely need to reapply your sunscreen. Even if it's spf 70. Even if it's spf 100. So even if there isn't a huge benefit to high spf sunscreen, can it hurt? Better safe than sorry, right? Well actually, this isn't neccesarily the case. If you have sensitive or breakout prone skin, the higher the spf means the greater the risk of irritation or exacerbating acne. In my experience, higher spf sunscreens are more likely to be greasy, heavy and leave a whitish cast. The texture of this sunscreen is no different; greasy, heavy and occlusive. I think for the price it's a pretty small tube as well. Especially for a product meant to be used on the body. I've heard that a very common problem with high spf sunscreens is that people think because the spf is so high, it's ok to apply sparingly. I'm sure you know better, but the average consumer may not. And don't you think selling an all-over sunscreen in such a small amount would seem to bolster or encourage such notions? "It's pricey for such a small tube, but it's ok, a little goes a long way." Anyway, believe it or not, none of these things are the deal breaker for me. The deal breaker is the smell. The scent of this stuff represents everything I hate about "sunscreen-ey" smells, but amplified. I find it much too strong to ignore. I'm not against all fragrance in sunscreen, I just hate that typical fragrance associated with sunscreen. I'm not sure why, but a lot of sunscreens have this scent, or slight variations of it. It's as though all the huge corporations that own most DS skincare and suncare lines got together and decided how sunscreen is supposed to smell. I hope you know what I'm talking about. This fragrance is potent and cloying and clashes with all of my perfumes. Actually it totally overpowers them. Lastly, I should mention that because this product is thick and doesn't have much slip, it's not the easiest to apply, and more importantly reapply. It takes a good amount of rubbing in to get even coverage and avoid streaking. You cannot just smooth this on in a hurry or touch it up on your face without a mirror. For all these reasons I won't use this stuff. I much prefer my Trader Joe's Enrich Moisturizer, plain old spf 15. It has a light silky texture that glides on so easily, it's not greasy, and no white cast. I can pretty much just slather it on without carefully rubbing it in. I can reapply in public with no mirror. It's completely fragrance free and very gentle on my face. Best of all it's $4 for four oz. so I can use it all over my body for only a few cents per use. And the spf is adequate for the amount of sun I get on a daily basis.

on 10/6/2013 6:53:00 PM

I usually use the dry-touch SPF 30 formula, which I like a lot. I got a few little sample bottles of this SPF 70 version and threw one into my bag before heading to the coast one day.

It did protect my skin from the sun, but I wouldn't recommend this. It doesn't absorb into the skin, but sits on top in white swirls and crumbles. It's actually even sort of tough it wash off in the shower. Makes skin feel icky.

Stick to the SPF 30 version of this and you'll be happy.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This is going to be a ridiculously hard review for me to write, simply because I'm unsure if I'm just not satisfied with Neutrogena's Dry-Touch Sunblock in SPF 70 or if I'm just unsatisfied with what TYPE of product it is. You see, I haven't been in love with any of the sunscreens that I've tried thus far and this one is really no different. Maybe I just hate all sunscreens?
After reading reviews for this here on MUA, I figured that Dry-Touch might be the sunscreen for me given it's matte namesake. I thought, "Matte? Sure!", merely because all my previous sunscreens had been horrifically thick and greasy, making my skin feel like it was completely suffocating. I dreaded putting them on in the morning. Dry-Touch only made it's case stronger when I discovered that it was reasonably priced because while La Roche Posay may supposedly make an excellent sunscreen, I don't have La Roche Posay kinda money. Dry-Touch was easy to find and came in the high SPF factors that may not make much of a difference but definitely make me feel a little safer than I might otherwise. There was a bit of conflicting information on whether or not this sunscreen was photo-stable, which in a nutshell means that the product doesn't degrade in factor as it takes in sunlight. Neutrogena alludes to their Helioplex technology (that this sunscreen employs) as being photo-stable but I'm not entirely sure. At any rate, it's extremely hard to find sunscreens that are: A. Relatively cheap and easy to find, B. Doesn't irritate my skin, C. In high SPF factor AND photo-stable, AND D. Aren't greasy. Neutrogena Dry-Touch seemed to fit the bill so I was anxious to pick it up.
Initially after purchasing this, I was pretty thrilled by how matte and yet still light feeling it is when you first apply it. The matte texture does, however, come with a price. The consistency of this product is very heavy. The closest comparison that I can make to it is Elmer's glue. It's definitely not bendable and must be worked with in sections to ensure that is worked in thoroughly. Failure to blend this properly creates white streaks that make their appearance after the sunscreen has set. By the time they make themselves known, you're already out doing whatever stuff you do, maybe even walking around in public with these weird chalky lines across your face. Not that I know this from experience though...*Cough* Because of how fussy Dry-Touch is, it's hard to wear a lot of it (i.e. the recommended amount for the face/neck region) without getting streaking or tugging on your face too much to blend it out.
Another point that I'd like to address is that on me, Dry-Touch doesn't remain dry at all. After about an hour or so, it begins to make my face excessively oily- pretty much as oily as other sunscreens I've tried have been. Along with the greasy effect also comes that dreaded coated feeling. Not only does it look as though I could fry chicken on my face, it also feels like I'm coated in vegetable oil. I can't wait to get this off of me at the end of the day. My skin is combination but overall not very oily at all, so I'm really at a loss as to why this happens to me while wearing sunscreen. It's worth noting also that this drys my hands out in the worse way imaginable.
All the sunscreens that I've tried have been really difficult to remove and Dry-Touch is the same way. It's crazy to me how even though the SPF factor essentially wears off over time the horrible coated feeling subsists. It's always really hard for me to tell that I've removed every last bit of it. This may contribute to the irritation that I experience after wearing it for a few days in a row though I'm really beginning to suspect that I'm allergic to something in sunscreen in general. After a few days in a row of wearing Dry-Touch, red patches or irritation and bumps begin to appear across my forehead. They take days to subside and only worsen when I'm going out and again require more sunscreen for protection. It doesn't help matters that I tanned slightly this summer even while wearing this religiously. Ugh.
If you can't tell already, I definitely won't be repurchasing Neutrogena's Dry-Touch in SPF 70. For something that is essential to wear daily, I think you really need to be happy with whatever product you use. Maybe that's too much to ask for? I guess I'll have to keep searching to find out.