DevaCurl No Poo

3.5

Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-7, Laureth-4, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Menthol, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

I have "Botticelli" curls, medium length and super highlighted. My hair tends to go very dry ( par for the course with curls ) and I used to have to wash every day to tame. I spent years hating my curls, straightening them with an iron fist ( lol ) until I finally found a great cut and this poo.

At first its really hard to get used to the no lather, and having to super rinse, but my hair now has the most beautifully defined curls that have people actually stop me to talk about. I follow with the one conditioner, don't rinse that completely out, then scrunch towel dry with a microfiber cloth. The way this does for my unruly hair, I will NEVER switch, who would end a perfect love affair?

Side note, once a month I use the AG silver shampoo to 'shock' and tame down brassiness, though the no poo has never left me overly brassy like other curl shampoos ( cough cough Ouidad cough )

There are great 'how to' vids for this line on youtube to boot :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Ok, I waited 4 months to write this review so I could give an accurate review that I felt had some experience backing it up ;)
At first I really struggled with it. I liked it, then I hated it. I could NOT decide! Until...I figured out my hair. My hair is loose curly, not coarse, not thick. But not really fine either, just normal. Also, when I first started using it, I was not scrubbing my scalp like I needed to. That is key for me!
First I have to rinse my hair REALLY well to get most of the product out...then "wash" it with the no poo. I mean, scrub & rub it around just like I used to do with my lathering shampoo. Then, again rinse it REALLY well. Now, the second time I "wash" it, I focus more on the ends. Then rinse well again. Most of the time I don't even need the one condition because the no poo shampoo leaves my hair so soft and moisturized and I'm afraid it will weigh it down. I use the devacurl styling cream and LA Looks strong hold gel (which is silicone and sulfate free, and cheap to boot) before blowing dry. My hair looks healthy, bouncy & amazing, even though I've abused it with color & highlights for the past 10 years.
One thing I want to add that makes a big difference - I wash with Neutrogena clarifying shampoo once a month. And, I wash my hair with the no poo every 2-3 days, not every day!

Good luck!

I'm not sure what these other reviewers are talking about. This stuff ROCKS!!!! I have combination hair (curly and thinner on top/front and stick straight and thick in the back/underneath). Most shampoos screw with my hair, making part of it dry and the other just fine (this changes depending on the brand).

DevaCurl No Poo is the only one that turns my combo hair into one fine head of hair that all works together.

I just think people aren't used to shampoo that doesn't get sudsy and perhaps they aren't rinsing it out as well as they should.

I am really loving this version of No Poo. I tried the "DevaCare" version first years ago which was recommended to me for my fine very loose wavy hair and I hated it sadly. I absolutely loved it because the DevaCare products just smell to die for of creamy oranges and felt amazingly creamy etc but that No Poo had some ingredients that just really weighed down my hair and made my scalp greasy even after using it for 6 months so I know my hair was adjusted. I still have a giant liter bottle I can't use. Anyhow after that and bombing on several of their styling products I gave up on this line. I am currently using an organic shampoo and conditioner that I love but really wanted to find a Cleansing Conditioner that would work for me (have tried them all) as I just love how smooth and easy they make washing my hair which is super tangly in the shower even being fine. After checking out the ingredients for DevaCurl's version of No Poo and seeing different reviews figured I would make one last attempt and this formula does work way better for me as far as not leaving my scalp greasy or weighing me down at all. The one bittersweet thing I hate is in fact the horrid over the top rose smell of it. Yes I do find many reviews exaggerate on it being so bad that won't use the product do to the smell but for those who have fussy hair like me I don't have the luxury to pass up a product that gives me such good results lol. I usually love rose smells but this one is just unpleasant but something I will deal with. It doesn't linger in my hair by any means and my conditioner soon eases my nose. Now I am of course tempted to try the One Condition as well. If you had horrible results with the DevaCare products don't hesitate to try out the DevaCurl versions which are the quality of the line imo!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This product leaves me with mixed feelings about it. If it was less expensive or Ulta put it on sale during their liter sales I might have considered this a keeper. This is overall a good product for me (the new formula). It left my hair moisturized and clean. I liked that it is not a greasy or oily product, so I didn't have any reside and hair felt clean for many days. The smell reminds me of dove soap (not strong, but still soapy smelling) and menthol. This also left the top of my hair pretty frizz free upon drying with nothing added. Overall I enjoyed this and the performance of the cleansing aspect. This was more of a success in my eyes than the one condition, but still didn't leave me in love. While I did like this product, I needed to love it to keep it for the price. I'm going to try a few other cheaper options and see how they play out. I may return to this if I don't find something that compares.

Edit: I went back and tried it for a longer period of time and had a horrible reaction. No poo is probably not the method for me. I ended up with a scalp reaction - zits/cysts, scabs, and lots of buildup. I tried giving it a bit more time to see if it would clear up, but the issues got worse. After going back to a shampoo these issues cleared up and have not returned since. I will not be trying this cleanser again.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is the BEST! I thought with all the moisturizing that it would weigh my fine, wavy/curly (I am between s-wavy and botticelli, as they describe). I blow my hair out almost dry and then twist it to get rid of frizz, it's smooth with zero frizz and looks clean on day 2 (I only wash every 4-5 days, bless oscar blandi dry shampoo)! I was previously using more expensive products (Rahua, loved it for a while, but then build up occurred, making my hair look dry- Ojon's super moisturizing I used for ages). But this stuff is amazing and takes the cake! i think the price is great too, half the price of Rahua I love love love the no poo, you immediately notice a difference. I was looking for a product without silicone and without parabens (so my hair feels like, well hair!). I do not use the gel, but probably would use that in humid, climates and on tropical vacaitons. I am using the one conditioner.
Note: This is for the regular no poo, rather than the one with vitamin c for color treated hair. I didn't get that one because they recommended against it for me. Although I color my hair, I have some highlights (blending the grey in my brunette hair) and I am more ash (which I like), the vitamin C/color treated formula they recommended against because it can make the yellowy/ash highlights get orangey- I hate warm highlights on me.

I love this shampoo (and conditioner). It has saved my naturally brittle hair (also highlighted) from repeatedly breaking off when I sleep. I rarely blow dry or heat style my, and it would still get "crispy". I have used Pureology, Joico, Tigi, Neuma...you name it I've tried it and this has helped keep my moisture level high which make my hair softer, and shinier!!

I like this product. It is like other no-poo routines I have done. There is no lather, and your hair does not feel "clean" (read: stripped). I do find it a bit overpriced, but if you want no-poo and can't or don't want to make your own stuff, this works well as well, and it smells good.

However, you MUST give it two weeks. For a week or two, your hair will feel greasy and heavy because your scalp is overproducing sebum (oil) to compensate for the stripping action of regular shampoo. Once your scalp realizes that you aren't stripping it anymore, it will drastically reduce sebum production and your hair will feel normal and probably healthier and richer than before, but it will never feel the same as with regular shampoo.

A huge pro is that once you are accustomed to this, you can wash your hair less frequently, saving time, money and water.

I just wish they were clearer about this on the bottle. A lot of people will expect it to work like regular shampoo and thing it's a crappy product.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have sensitive skin, but I haven't had an acne problem for decades. Deva no poo has my face, scalp, and body a mess. I finally went to a doctor and was diagnosed with acne rosacea, so 'unique looking of a case' that he asked to take pictures of my face. Something in this product does not agree with me. The only other thing that has ever made me break out since adulthood is Philosophy products. I'd say be careful with this product if you have sensitive skin.
Also, I have more hair loss when I use this in combination with other Deva products. Over time, my hair actually seems dull.
The smell is great and I loved this product at first.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have used it since August/08. My hair is a mixture of coils extremely curly (3c) and afro (4a). I like this cleanser and use it alternatively with Devacare no-poo. This cleanser leaves my hair practically without knots. For me it is a keeper.