Bobbi Brown Beach

Bobbi Brown Beach

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is indeed beachy. Not in a sugary pina colada way, it’s more mature. As so many other reviewers have noted, It smells exactly like Coppertone suntan lotion in 1977. It transports me back to my southern California childhood, and summer day trips to the beach. My mom slathered us in Coppertone and sent us off to play while she read an Agatha Christie mystery under an umbrella. Beach is delicious: creamy, warm, and coconut-ty. A balmy sunset drive through the orange groves. A big plus is that this actually lasts on my skin for most of the day. But while I do like it a lot, I don’t find it particularly interesting – it lacks depth. My solution is to layer it with my all-time HG fragrance YSL Black Opium. Black Opium is a grown-up, sultry scent but on its own it feels too serious and wintery for summer. Sephora’s description of Beach calls out jasmine, but the only jasmine note is the creamy roundness of this. It doesn’t have an overtly floral smell at all. It does have a hint of powder on dry-down that I wish weren't there. But it's barely detectable. If you’re drawn to sexy/spicy Oriental fragrances, you probably won’t love this fragrance. To me, on a drizzly January day in Seattle, Beach is the next best thing to a Hawaiian getaway.

on 5/5/2016 11:19:00 AM

The main notes in this fragrance are jasmine, Mandarin orange, seawater, and sand. In my opinion, it isn't a dead ringer for Coppertone. You can smell the sunblock, but the floral and citrus notes give it a bit of elegance. You can purchase this online or at Sephora and it retails for $74 and comes in only one size, which is 1.7 fluid ounces. It also comes in a rollerball form that retails for $25. It was not on the fragrance wall when I visited Sephora, but it was on the Bobbi Brown shelf. One whiff and I was hooked.

I feel personally compelled by this scent...there was a time in my life where I lived in Virginia. My parents often took us to the beach for vacation...we would go to Delaware a lot, sometimes Maryland. We then moved to Georgia where we did manage to go to Florida plenty of times. We stopped going on trips together, so we are never whole as a family anymore. I love this scent because it reminds of those times...we would sit and talk together under an umbrella or when all of us tired kids would pile up into the SUV and my sister would fall asleep on my shoulder. It reminds me of the salty breezes we would breathe in all while trying to build a crappy sandcastle. It reminds me of the smell of my skin after a shower, but after a day at the beach. It smelled faintly of sunblock and Herbal Essences shampoo. I would then climb into bed and feel waves rock me to sleep.

I feel surges of happiness when I smell this and it takes me back in time. I have never felt as emotional with any other fragrance as I do with this one. There are a few complaints I have for it...this perfume doesn't last long enough. The scent fades to nothingness after a few hours, so I find the price point to be too high for something with little longevity. I also wish that it came in bigger sizes because I feel like I am going through this bottle quickly. This is also made with synthetic oils, but that isn't really a problem for me. It might be to others who are fond of natural oils and ingredients.

Some people think that this smells like Fire Island Bond No 9 and At the Beach 1966. Fire Island is warmer with musk, whereas At the Beach has the top note as marine. People who like this scent also like Estee Lauder's Bronze Goddess, but I am not a fan of that scent at all. Overall, I really love Bobbi Brown Beach, but if I could find something similar with staying power, I would try it out.

To Read all 257 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/6/2016 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Lots of beach time growing up in New England, and lived on the beach in FL for 16 years. I've spent so many days lazing in the sand, with nothing better to do than tan, and smell the lovely people of the beach. Sweat, salt, hot sand, hot skin, and sunscreen. It's typical in Destin to roll right from a day on the water to late afternoon cocktails at a local beach bar, still with our bathing suits under our sundresses, sand in our toes, and still reeking of sunscreen and salt, not giving a shit and just enjoying the laid back southern summer sunset.

I got Bronze Goddess blind hoping it would capture it for me. It didn't. It's too coconutty/gourmand/musky. Think Hawaiian Tropic.

I bought Beach and it is IT for me. It's fresh, salty, sun-creamy, oceanic with a spritz of jasmine.
To me it's a niche fragrance in the respect that it's not a typical 'way' people want to smell. It's not sexy, not overtly feminine, it's not dangerously avant garde and not a classic; it's a scent almost more than it is a perfume. But it is Nostalgic, with a capital N. A certain scent can be emotionally transportive and take a person back to past real life. Nothing evokes a memory like a scent. This is it, at least for me. I can almost hear laughter, seagulls, distant boomboxes, the thump of volleyballs hitting the hot sand, the lifeguard's shrill whistle, the soft crash of the waves. Have you ever noticed how all of these sounds blend together, fade out, and create the most peaceful auditory backdrop? They are the hazy sounds of life happening all around, as you relax and take a break from it.
This is quintessentially the beach. I give it a 5 solely for capturing nostalgia, which makes it more than the sum of its parts. I really enjoy it. I have a rollerball, and it'll probably last me forever. I wear it for the experience, not as a daily fragrance.
(In the spirit of objectivity, if you don't have memories associated with Coppertone, this may be nothing more than a benzoin(?), jasminey aquatic to you, possibly nothing special)

I layer it with Bronze Goddess sometimes, different but very interesting.

on 4/5/2016 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this fragrance. I think a lot of people are turned off by it because it smells exactly like sunscreen, but that's why I like it! It definitely dries down pretty fast and becomes pretty subtle, but it's such a lovely fragrance.
The best part about it is that my mother, who has severe asthma, and whom I can not usually wear perfume around, smelled this and said it smelled nice, no negative reaction at all!

on 7/18/2015 12:24:00 AM

I have this in the roller ball format. It smells just like Coppertone Sunscreen and instantly takes me to Myrtle Beach, SC. I spent every summer there, after traveling 16 hours in a car, and constantly slathered in sunscreen. When I smell this it takes me to the waves and the hot sun and the pier with the little ice cream shop. I've never had just a scent memory like this one and will most likely keep buying as long as it remains the same.

The perfect beachy, summer fragrance, with no hint of coconut like most beachy perfumes. Even if it does smell like straight copper tone to me.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Beach takes a few minutes to settle down from its chemical-perfumey, jasmine blast of an openingit reminds me a lot of Kai or Child at this pointand Im not a fan. After about fifteen minutes, I start getting some sea salt (like straight out of the ocean on a bright day kind of salt), then the suntan lotion finally kicks in and Beach finally becomes something enjoyable. Yes, very evocative of the beach. Its the really great beach scent that you cant get enough of, the salt, the sweat the suntan lotion all mixed togetherwhen it still smells amazingbefore it gets too old and turns rank. Beach is a great summer perfume, best worn from the end of June to the end of August. It smells thin and almost chemically to me, as opposed to a richer scent. It stays fairly close and its longevity is about six hours on my skin. But because Beach is so limited for me (in terms of wearing it throughout the year and its longevity), its only worthy of the rollerball, not full bottle. Monyette Paris is my favorite summertime scent and has more wearability throughout the year, luckily, these two perfumes play well together.

on 5/16/2015 11:49:00 PM

Did I get a bad bottle? Like 99% of the reviews I read said this smelled like Coppertone. Like the coconutty, yummy smell that I think about before I knew that tanning beds were bad for your health. No folks, what I got was some chemically cluster of floral, like Bobbi Brown herself stuffing a bottle of perfume with Jasmine and calling it the beach scent. Now I don't know about you, but I have never been to a beach with that wreaked of Jasmine. Ever. Please try before you buy. Please. Pretty please?

LOVE this product. Been wearing it for 6 years now and cannot find anything I like better. I'm not into heavy scents, not into powdery scents. This is light, bright, fun, cheerful and provokes excitement. Not happy that price went up last year from 50$USD to 72$USD.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought the Beach Body Oil last week at Macy's & fell totally in lurrrrvvvve! So I can't afford a normal sized bottle right now w Xmas coming up & all, but I had a $20 VIB gift card come in the mail so I did not hesitate to buy the Beach rollerball (& Nakeds basics 1 fwiw plus I used points to get a Smashbox lipgloss & a D&G delux sample for men I will give my daddy as an Xmas gift amongst many other items! & 3 samples. Sorry I don't order off sephora or go there much so it's a big deal to me when I get something off them! :) ), I just adore this fragrance, but it's financially unfeasible for me atm other than the body oil & roller ball but luckily for me u don't need to apply much. My mom called it "too strong," it -is- potent which is the way I like my perfumes to be, to proceed me in a hallway or waiting room & my scent to linger after I've walked away (probably totally weird!), I want people to smell it on me when they hug me or lift my hand to shake it & layering the oil w the EDP seems to go do that. The bottle is a regular sized rollerball bottle w a rollerball dauber I think it was ~USD$25 approx. I love fresh scents, this co mingles with sand, sea, gardenia, & the warmth of the sun, perfect for winter to use as a reminder of the promise of care free summer days lurking ahead just out of reach, but a promise is a promise luckily I would wear this year around. I can't explain how much I love this scent, it's inexplicable how much I adore it. It's sophisticated & a little boozy, evoking the image of going to a bonfire after dark at the beach, drinking cold beer, roasting hot dogs & marshmallows long into the night the sand & scent of the salty breeze, good times.

on 10/5/2014 8:45:00 PM

Tried it in Sephora. Would not buy it - don't like anything about it at all (and I'm a Bobbi fan). It isnt the fresh great scent I was hoping for - more just sunscreen and not special. I will go back to Fresh "Sugar" which is my current favorite.

Popular Fragrances