Clairol Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel

Clairol Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel
Curl Scrunching gel

3.4

Water, PVP, Laureth-23, Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Crassula Argentea Leaf Extract, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, VP/Dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate Copolymer, Triisopropanolamine, Carbomer, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is one of my to go to gels, the other is Pantene Curl something... I mix a bit of curl cream and this gel and apply it to my damp hair and let it air dry will I do my makeup or whatever. I have really long 3a type curls that are a bit on the dry side and kind of fine in texture. This gel helps my hair keep its shape with a soft non crunchy hold, gives a bit of shine without being greasy, gummy or too heavy. Also it keeps frizz away. I really love this gel and I've been buying it two at a time in case it's discontinued.

on 9/2/2016 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Apparently Walmart stopped carrying my normal curl cream (Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Curl Define & Hold Crème) so I tried two different products to get hold for my "wavy" hair. I returned them both and ordered my regular stuff from Amazon.

First of all, my hair is naturally straight and a bit frizzy. I turn my head upside down under the tub faucet after washing my hair to pull it all to the front, then rub in some product and spray some Rave hairspray to give it some hold without crunch, flip and scrunch every so often so I end up with some messy waves. When done right with the right product, I can use a spray bottle to wet my hair done for 2 more days without having to wash it and I still have some wave left.

This gel didn't hardly work at all for me. By the end of the day I had a lot of "fullness" and was pony-tailing it. I didn't even feel it had as much hold as the "cheap" gel, although this product is very reasonably priced. Still, by the end of the day I felt I hadn't really used any product at all. Not a keeper for me at all, but maybe if you had actually curly hair instead of hair that you're trying to convince to curl it might work better? For me, I returned it and moved on.

on 11/11/2014 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have type 3a curly hair which is also pretty long and i use a gel and mousse when i do my hair just to keep frizz away and keep my hair from getting too umanagable. This smells really nice and i use it with the mousse and i also use the totally twisted shampoo and conditioner. I also spray my hair with water using just a spray bottle to get it damp before i use this. I would recommend this to people with really curly hair but it might be too heavy for people with just wavy hair and not strong enough for people with kinky curls. I would buy this again but I wouldn't commit to buying this forever.

on 8/11/2014 7:49:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

i've only tried it as a next day refresher and so far so good. the wild berry scent is pleasant and not too overpowering. i scrunched this into dry hair with wet hands and got bouncy loops after a minute or two diffuser drying. some crunchiness for sure, but that can easily be broken up. will try as a full styling gel next

I have this product 2 overall lippies because I do not like this product. I wanted a gel for scrunching hair so I could have more heatless ways to do my hair so I looked up reviews online & a lot of people said this product was awesome for hair scrunching and getting waves without heat so I decided to try this. I also watched Youtube videos on how to scrunch hair.I got this product at target for $3.39 but I have also seen it at walmart. I used this about 20 minutes after a shower so my hair was damp and I squeezed some product in my hands, rubbed them together and started scrunching. Then I used a diffuser to dry my hair. I looked in the mirror and I didn't see a huge result in my hair. My hair is already somewhat wavy, straight in some areas so I thought this curling gel would make my hair super wavy and bouncy but it didn't & on top of that the gel made my hair a little crunchy. I was so disappointed! I really wanted this product to work because of what it offered, the cheap price & the smell! It smells really good.

Oh we'll, it didn't work ill just have to try something else:(

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

One day I had noticed this product had fallen behind something, so I decided to try it out because it had been awhile since I had last used it. I don't like to waste products so I thought I would just use the rest of it up. This was a product that had been originally recommended to me by a fellow curly girl. It's something that I started to use when I had decided to embrace my curls and not flat iron them which, in fact, was several years ago. Anyway long story short, I was excited to try it out again. I was, however, a bit let down by it. It seemed to have lost some of it's magic. Something that is important to note is that it didn't have any negative impacts on my hair. It just wasn't what I remembered it to be. It didn't really get rid of my uncontrollable frizz and it didn't really seem to sculpt my curls all too well. I do like the smell though, it's quite pleasant. Overall, would I try it again? Most likely not. Would I recommend it to someone else? Probably not but whose to say my opinion is right.

on 9/1/2013 4:09:00 PM

I loove this! Just put a bit on your finger and run it all through your hair when it's wet or dry and it holds all curls and it makes my wakes wavyier! I love to put this in when my hair is wet then put in in a braid at night and in the morning I have perfect beachy waves with no frizz:)

on 4/7/2013 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I have straight hair and recently bought this item thinking that it would give me some loose waves. I tried to put it in my hair, and follow the instructions, and nothing happened. But, a way that works for me is that I take a shower and night, put this in my hair, and put a messy bun in. It gives me beautiful, wavy hair and it smells amazing in the morning. :) Although it's different, I would definately buy this again.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

I find this to be a pretty good gel for my dry curly hair, it holds the curls all day without a ton of frizz. As far as for crunchiness goes, if I just lightly run my hands over my curls it breaks up the what crunchy feeling is there & makes my curls soft & manageable.

on 8/4/2012 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

* EDIT * -
They changed the packaging and the formula of this gel and the new one is terrible. First, the lovely scent is gone, and secondly, it leaves no curls. My hair looks like I clumped on the gel in a haphazard way and let it dry to a sticky mess on purpose. What a shame. I changed my overall rating to a 1 and will not be repurchasing.
* * *
After using my beloved Suave CC Whipped Cream mousse for over a year, I decided to give my hair a break from styling products containing alcohol. Enter HE Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel. First of all, the smell totally blows my mind. I wish I could bottle that fragrance and spray it on myself daily. It's clean, feminine, and I find it soothing. The product itself is clear, and less is definitely more when using this. I have very thick, armpit-length hair that tends to be on the dry side due to coloring over the years. After having my microfiber towel on for about 10-15 minutes, I detangle my hair and grab this gel. I keep this product to my ends only and use it only from the ears down. I spread a small amount in my palms, maybe 2-3 peas' worth, and rub them together then scrunch my hair upward. I have side bangs and blow those out, then take my hair dryer with diffuser on the lowest heat setting and gently dry the ends in an upward motion. (Hope that makes sense.) What I end up with are loose curls that don't look clumped together and my hair has zero stickiness or crunch that tends to come with gel products. I've repurchased and will continue to do so.

Popular Styling Products