Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

My go to cuticle oil and moisturizer for my feet when I do a pedicure. I also oil pull, cook with it, and mix it with sugar or coffee as a body scrub. But my most constant use is for my hands and feet, coconut oil will always have a place at my mani station among nail stuff.

on 11/29/2016 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

If you have acne prone skin BEWARE!! This has a codomogenic rating of 4/5 which clogs pores really badly if your skin does not like it. This was the worst for my skin, causing big cystic pimples right away within a day, I could feel the large bumps forming painfully on my face. Just don't. do. it!

A really great alternative is unrefined Shea Butter as it has a rating of 0 and has some properties that can heal acne as well.

To Read all 363 Reviews, Login or Join

Idk if this is the right place to put this, but I'd like to share my favorite use for coconut oil. I use coconut oil for everything. Makeup remover, cuticle oil, hair and skin conditioner, hot oil treatment, foot softener, sunburn relief, oil pulling, in my coffee, cooking, oil cleasing method. The list could go on...But my favorite use for it is bleaching my hair. I slather my hair with it at least 2 hours before I attack my roots, but prefer to leave it on overnight to let it fully absorb into the cortex of my hair. Then I apply hair bleach right over it. I've had olaplex used on me in the salon, but it doesn't beat the coconut oil method. The first time I tried it, I had previously bleached hair that was feeling a bit dry and rough (last coloring had used olaplex). After the root touch up was washed from my hair, my hair felt back to it's normal healthy texture. Soft, bouncy, and very shiny. I've read somewhere that using this method helps to speed up the lightening process, and I'm kind of inclined to agree with it. A single bleaching with the coconut oil gets my hair to pale yellow in 30 mins, with a 30 volume developer. I like that I can touch up my roots at home for a lot less than the salon and get better results to boot! I highly recommend you give it a shot next time you lighten your hair.

For someone with low-medium porosity, 2c/3a wavy/curly hair that has been looking dull and dry after an incredible summer and a little too much processing, coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment has worked wonders at restoring some of the softness and shine to my lack-lustre locks. I did some research and found out that Argan and the other oils promoted for use on hair really only coat the strands, their molecular structure is too large to actually penetrate the hair shaft. But coconut oil has a much smaller molecular structure which apparently can penetrate the hair and is highly recommended for low porosity hair. This is hair that has trouble absorbing moisture and takes a very long time to dry (despite it's appearance). I don't recommend this for everyone, you really have to know your hair type and it's needs. I warm the oil between the palms of my hands and work in sections, mainly from mid length to ends, avoiding the scalp although I do run my hands through the upper portion to deal with any frizziness but still trying to avoid the roots/scalp. Once my hair is thoroughly saturated, I twist my hair up into a bun and wait up to an hour before shampooing and conditioning as usual. The coconut oil washes out, does not leave a greasy film behind and my hair is in much better condition after doing this.

I have not used coconut oil as a makeup remover/balm, etc. as I am prone to acne and there are comedogenic properties in this oil. I do however also use this in cooking, it is delicious and gives a wonderful flavour to your food.

on 11/8/2016 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Where have you been all my life? I was skeptical, as oils do not usually play well with my hair texture (high density, fine width, 3/a weak curl pattern). I absolutely love this in my hair as a leave in/mask. I recently grew out my hair and did a big chop of all old hair color and was desperate to grow my hair long again and get it in good condition and this has helped TONS. I wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week, warm some oil in my hands, and apply from roots to tips and put my hair up in a bun. I wear my hair like this for a few days then repeat. If I want to wear my hair down and actually style it, I will use the oil VERY sparingly or just skip it all together.

I also love this on my body and on painful acne of the face.

Wonder product, truly.

on 11/8/2016 11:49:00 AM

I get the coconut oil from Trader Joe's, and use it to remove makeup and as an all-body moisturizer. I don't use it on my face, as it doesn't do much for me. But removing make-up is a cinch, and right after my shower I put a little all over my body and it smells good AND dries quickly. Plus, the jar lasts forever.

on 11/8/2016 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Coconut oil is amazing for dry damaged hair with lots of split ends. I apply for an hour then wash it of with shampoo it leaves my hair looking soft and shiny. Cheap and very effective.

on 9/26/2016 10:52:00 AM

Good old coconut oil. it has a million proverbial uses, it's relatively cheap, it lasts for ever, it's good for you to consume as well, no pesky chemicals/pesticides/badness especially if organic ... part of the beauty routine for life now :)

In theory, you can slather yourself with this from head to toe, use it in your hair, then eat some and get health benefits from all that. For me personally, I will occasionally use it as a hair mask, but with fine hair I do think it's too weighty to leave-in. I've also stopped using it on my face as occasionally it makes me break out.

Life-Pro Tip, though, is to keep the coconut oil in your bathroom or dressing area, apply a few drops of your favourite essential oil or blend straight to the oil, and scoop some out to use as a post-shower body moisturiser. I actually feel like I will never have to buy body lotion again now, and though you may need to let it soak in for 30 minutes then wipe off any residue, it leaves your skin smelling subtly good and special for at least a few hours afterwards. Go on the coconut.

Coconut Oil is my new holy-grail product. I have so many uses for it:

HAIR: I coat the mid-lengths to ends of my hair with coconut oil and leave on for 30 minutes before rinsing it off in the shower. I then shampoo and condition as normal once I have rinsed out the oil. After the shower, I rub a tiny amount into the ends of my hair, and then let my hair dry. It makes my hair so shiny and glossy! My hair looks extra smooth and feels so much stronger and healthier.

NAILS: I rub a small amount of oil into each cuticle before bed. It leaves my fingers feeling soft and has prevented me from getting hangnails. I used to get a lot of painful hangnails prior to doing this. It doesn't interfere with the longevity of my nail polish either, which is a huge bonus.

SKIN: I rub a small amount under my eyes twice a day. This has definitely reduced the appearance of fine lines that were starting to form. Some nights I rub coconut oil into my whole face as my night-time moisturiser. It leaves my skin feeling very soft. It has not clogged my pores or caused me to break out, but I would recommend doing a patch test before applying to the whole face, just to be safe. I also love to moisturise with this on my whole body after a shower. It takes some time to sink in, but leaves my skin super-soft and smelling of coconuts.

SHAVING: This works really well for shaving my legs. Just coat your legs in oil before shaving. Simple. It doesn't clog up my razor either.

on 9/25/2016 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I know people say it "can't clog your pores" but it did for me, leaving me with acne. However it worked amazingly for my sister. My skin is retarded honestly so I'm not surprised this didn't work for me.

Popular Cleansers