Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 8/16/2016 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

I am a south Indian and coconut oil is a holy grail to us. It is a Godsend product and here's is how we use it in the most effective ways

1- HEALTHY HAIR (most effective use of this oil)- This is the major use of the oil to us and the secret to healthy Indian hair. Most Indians use coconut oil as a deep conditioner mask before washing their hair. Apply/massage coconut oil on scalp and leave it for 2-3 hours and tie it up so the heat can help the scalp absorb the oil. Even an hour of it will do if you didn't have much time. You can apply it on the hair strands as well but the strands will not absorb as much as the scalp would but it still helps a lot with softening and split ends. After leaving it on, wash with regular shampoo. If you use a strong/clarifying shampoo wash once, if you use a moisturising gentle shampoo use twice to remove oil and use very little shampoo the second time. This method does not require hair conditioner but it is up to you. It's all about trial and error and what works best.

This is also effective because coconut oil has the ability to dissolve/loosen a few chemicals with adhesive quality such as serums, hair sprays, creams; basically anything that can stick to scalp and hair. Btw, most vegetable oils have such properties. By applying and massaging the oil to scalp and hair, the chemicals present loosens up and washes away with the oil without causing any damage to scalp and hair. This is an excellent way to get rid of build up and keep hair healthy in the long term. This is why post-wash (if washed properly) your hair feels light, manageable and fluffy.

2- DANDRUFF- The above method is your best solution for dandruff. The scalp heals by absorbing the oil and since it is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial your scalp will produce less dandruff and eventually by regular use it will eradicate it as well. This is the sort of the biggest reason Indians use this oil apart from hair growth through healthy scalp. You can see the difference just with 2 uses. You will be amazed.

TIP- You don't need too much of oil on scalp and hair. 2-3 spoons will cover scalp alone. Apply oil to scalp and hair in the evening/night 1-3 hours before shower depending upon how much time you have. Always try to wash hair in the night and make sure it dries at least 70%-90% or use hair dryer before sleeping. The heat (body heat) on the scalp and pillow will keep your frizz at bay. In the morning your hair will look really tamed.

3- LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER- Once you are done washing hair, you can try this method and see if you like. Just use a drop, only a drop, rub it in your hands and apply only to the tips on damp hair. Just above the tips will also be fine but tips, having split ends, will immediately absorb the oil and helps in healing and further splitting.

3- ECZEMA- Coconut oil is used on fairly dry wounds to speed up the process of healing so the wounded skin can dry soon and fall off on its own. It's one of the most common uses. This quality not only helps wounds but also skin problems. Use this as a moisturiser at night or day. If in day, apply coconut oil and dab the excess with a tissue. Your Eczema's best remedy is coconut oil. You can also use regular oats on damp skin to scrub the dry skin, and a cup of it in your bath. Oats and coconut oil is the best thing you'd have ever used for you Eczema.

4- SKIN- Another major use. This is an excellent moisturizer. Use it in the night on face or body on cleaned skin. In sever winters this is an excellent moisturiser for face even for day use. It helps with wrinkles and pores a lot, don't exactly know how but it does. I guess it is because of its healing powers on damaged skin.

5- WOUNDS- If your wound is getting dry, you'll know it can itch and the new skin would be sensitive. Just smear a tiny bit coconut oil on the corners of the wound where it is dry and the itching will stop. It will help the new skin gain correct colour and help keep bacteria and the nasty stuff at bay.

6- COOKING- In some parts of South India people use only coconut oil for cooking. Its health benefits are endless.

7- BATH- Just add a spoon of coconut oil in your regular bath. This helps skin absorb the oil while wet and keeps it soft.

8- UNDERARMS- This is only in winters and only for those who dont sweat much or if you dont really mind it. Massage tiny amount of the oil everyday right after shower to lighten and improve skin texture. It really works!

Always buy coconut oil from a reputed brand and good quality. Some cheap manufacturers use or mix oil extracted from dry waste coconut. It is not a good practice. The oil mustn't be very refined, that takes much of the good stuff. Make sure your oil is virgin and it comes from a good reputed brand.

It is absolutely okay to forget or be lazy about oiling hair before washing but you dont have to give up hopes on making your hair healthy. Do it as and when your time can allow, do this favor to your hair. Once you get the hang of it you'll become a regular user and enjoy it. Also do remember that you cannot expect natural products to do magic overnight. Although coconut oil, as an exemption, does show results on dandruff and keep hair manageable right from the first wash and make you happy, regular usage is absolutely necessary to keep scalp healthy in the long term. Pollution, windy days, rain, dusty air, heat, styling and humidity takes a toll our hair. Most Indian women take care of it just by oiling and washing and don't even use conditioner or any fancy hair styling stuff. Oiling-before-washing alone is what kept our hair in such good condition.

Hope you find these uses helpful. This truly is a Godsend for us. It is the most important and absolutely necessary item in Indian household. We cannot do without it so you can imagine its benefits for us to consider coconut oil so necessary

on 8/7/2016 4:58:00 PM

I don't get why more beauty youtubers and makeup artists dont use this? its amazing, I use it to remove makeup and it melts off even waterproof mascara and doublewear foundation in one wipe! Its better than any makeup remover or face wash ive purchased. I use it as an extra moisturizer, it stops my skin from breaking out, use it in my hair as a leave in conditioner, I had painful, bleeding gums a few months ago, used this to oil pull for a couple of days and it cured it... a big jar costs 6 euro and it lasts ages.

To Read all 353 Reviews, Login or Join

I have been using coconut oil for a couple of years. During this time I have tried lots of ways of using it and am happy I know where it works best for me.

Hair- I do not find this to be especially moisturing for hair. Cocoa butter, castor oil and other oil blends are much better for this ime. Coconut oil is good for tackling fly aways though- the tiniest bit rubbed into hands and then smoothed over hair when dry. Careful not to over do it, it will quickly make hair look stringy and oily.

Skin- as a body moisturiser this stuff is great. If you use too much you will be a slippery mess for a while, but it softens really well and leaves you smelling great. I like to add a couple of drops of essential oil e.g peppermint and lavender.

Face- I used to use CCO on my face with abandon. Just slather it on. IME this needs to be used with caution on the face. After a while my pores got huge and I think it gave me whiteheads. I have dryish skin, and it is great for moisturising but I strongly recommend cleansing first. Less is more, if you use too much you will look shiny all day. Saying this, If I use it sparingly (especially on my forehead) I love the healthy look it gives.

Under makeup- I love using this under make up. I have to be careful not to get it near my eyes or the mascara and liner will smudge but I find it really helps to 'sink in' my face mu. I have a powder sunscreen from Lush that looks great when worked in over a little cco. I don't know how, but by the end of the day my skin will look great. I think it helps meld things together and prevent patchiness. nb- I generally use face powder, blush and a little creamy concealer.

Face cleanser- My friend put me on to this and I love it. Massage your face using cco in circular motions. Thoroughly wet a face cloth with hot water, wring out and gently dap/ wipe the cco off. Repeat until clean. My skin feels great after this, looks really bright and is super soft.

M/U remover- This is great as make up remover, and will get rid of everything from waterproof mascara to lip stain. I recommend cleaning your face after with the hot cloth method, otherwise you can be left feeling a little oily.

Cuticles- I seriously think this stuff beats any cuticle cream. I don't know why it isn't touted as a cuticle cream more often. I massage it in then gently push them back. Then I run the excess oil over my hands and wash off with hot water if I'm feeling too greasy.

Lube- yes ladies, if you didn't already know this stuff is great for this.

Teeth- oil pulling. I am not totally sold on the benefits of oil pulling but I do it sometimes. I like how it leaves your teeth looking shiny and feels like your gums are moisturised.I slightly prefer almond or sesame oil for this because they are always in liquid form but cco is good too. Ps: When oil pulling always spit it into an old container/ tissue and put it in the bin. Not good to get it into our water systems.

Cooking- Anything but my favourite is frying potato cubes. Random? a bit. Delicous? Yes. Parboil potatoes, then heat up some cco, add garam masala, tomato paste, ginger and garlic. Throw in the potatoes, then at the last minute add chopped red chilli, spring onions, salt and pepper. Delicious.

Pet paws!- sometimes my dog will get a sore paw and lick it a lot. I don't know if this is because it is dry, or if it then becomes dry from all the licking. A couple of times now I have rubbed some cco oil and he has then stopped licking it.

It's often on sale at health shops like whole foods. I will by the organic, extra virgin, cold pressed ones. I have notice that there is a big price difference between brands. I like the Tiana ones, they are quite expensive but they're also fair trade. They also make unscented ones and a special 'for face' one. It costs a lot and it does seem to be extra moisturising/ emollient, I wouldn't repurchase though. I don't think there is such a difference between the expensive and the cheaper brands.

on 7/24/2016 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

If you have old or new stretch marks, you need to try this - apply once a day after the shower, massage in well (don't use too too much, because you'll be greasy!).
I'm absolutely covered in them from puberty - breasts, hips, arms, etc.
I've had dark as well as white marks everywhere for the last 10 years or so, and never really treated them.
I started using coconut oil and within 2 weeks, massive improvement. My red marks are fading quite a lot and even the white ones look less noticeable.

I even started using it on my face, which is prone to acne and blackheads, and it's actually better than ever. I know a lot of people have different experiences with this one, but for me it's working well - just don't overdo it.

on 6/25/2016 8:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love coconut oil! I sometimes use it as eye makeup remover when I do a heavy eye and I'll use it every now and then as a body moisturizer. It feels so nice and luxurious and really makes my skin so soft. This stuff lasts forever too. I just started trying it to condition my lashes every night and will maybe mix it with sugar as an exfoliator. Will always have a jar of it.

My HG! Use it as a hair mask, body lotion, make-up remover,.. and it does it better then all other chemical masks/lotions/.. I've tried. Will use it in my beauty routine forever.

on 6/21/2016 7:40:00 PM

I don't know why I didn't use coconut oil sooner. It's amazing! I saw a few youtube videos on coconut oil to take off stubborn makeup. I wear a lot of makeup and I like waterproof mascara which is hell to get off. I bought a small jar of coconut oil to keep in my bathroom. You only need a small amount and let it get it warm in your hands. I apply it to my eyelids and gently massage over my lashes. Then I do the rest of my face, rubbing the oil all over and then go back to my eyes. The coconut oil melts away everything. I don't wake up with god awful raccoon eyes or irritated eyes from rubbing harsh cleaners to get the damn makeup off. I think I paid $8 for the coconut oil and I've barely made a dent in it after a month of use. I still use my daily skincare after I cleanse with the coconut oil and it works well for me. I don't have any breakouts or irritation at all.

Native is one of my favorite brands and you can purchase a huge bottle at Costco which will last forever. I literally use Coconut Oil for everything! There are so many beauty benefits: hair, skin, nails. I use Coconut Oil to make hair masks and face masks once a week. The possibilities are really endless.

on 6/15/2016 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Coconut oil is a staple for my kitchen,skin, hair and nail regimen. It is my night moisturizer now that it's hard to find a great one for my combo skin. It also help re-grow my edges entire hair. The smell is sweet and it works well as sunscreen for me in summer. I alternate between coconut and shea butter as sun-screen now that am yet to find a good one.

Coconut oil and butter are not sufficient as sun-screen for a hot summer, i still see the effect of the burning sun on my skin when am out for long. Coconut oil also works well on my little one's hair

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

A wonderful pre-shampoo treatment. The longer you leave it on, the better! I definitely liked it more than olive oil. However, I don't like it on my skin because it breaks me out.