Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 2/12/2017 6:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Coconut oil is a good product to have on hand since you can do so many things (it's great for cooking & shaving too), but I wanted to pass on something else: it can get rid of lice.

Look it up if you unfortunately find yourself in an elementary school outbreak (an almost inevitable reality of kids & not a big deal). The general routine is to smear the hair and scalp with coconut oil and apply a shower cap (which helps keep it tidier). The oil barrier suffocates lice by blocking oxygen to the hair and scalp. Voila! No chemicals for an average, mild treatment.

No need to worry about extra virgin versus virgin versus regular oil. These designations only denote the pressing of the oil, extra virgin meaning the first press, and virgin being second. It doesn't affect the quality or performance of the oil at all, but in some oils, it affects flavor for cooking hence this label. (Be warned the FDA isn't given funding by Congress to monitor it, and extra virgin isn't necessarily pure, as evidenced by many tests on "extra virgin" olive oils.)

on 2/12/2017 6:21:00 AM

I am in LOVE with coconut oil, I cant live with it !!
I use it on my face usually, i've been using it for 2 years now. I used to have a very dry skin but thanks to coconut oil not anymore ! my skin is doing so much better but you need to give it some time to work.
I also use it on my hair after blow drying it, I take a little amount I rub it with my hands then comb the ends of my hair, it makes my hair look soo healthy and beautiful !

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I've tried using coconut oil for my hair, nails, and skin. My favorite use is definitely using it on my legs! They are so soft and feel so amazing after applying it daily for a few weeks or so now. I'm 100% going to keep this as part of my routine. I didn't really love it for any other use. It's been nicer than any moisturizer I've ever used on my legs.

on 1/10/2017 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I use coconut oil as body oil, as an intense moisturizer when I wake up with a really dry face in winter, and also for my feet. I don't like to use it for my hair, at least in wintertime, because it is relatively difficult to melt and leaves you with white bits in your hair if you're not careful. It also leaves little pieces on my bathroom floor. I rather stick to a liquid oil for my hair.

Pro:
- natural
- super multi use
- affordable
- smells great

Con:
- melts difficult in winter

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

My go to cuticle oil and moisturizer for my feet when I do a pedicure. I also oil pull, cook with it, and mix it with sugar or coffee as a body scrub. But my most constant use is for my hands and feet, coconut oil will always have a place at my mani station among nail stuff.

on 11/29/2016 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

If you have acne prone skin BEWARE!! This has a codomogenic rating of 4/5 which clogs pores really badly if your skin does not like it. This was the worst for my skin, causing big cystic pimples right away within a day, I could feel the large bumps forming painfully on my face. Just don't. do. it!

A really great alternative is unrefined Shea Butter as it has a rating of 0 and has some properties that can heal acne as well.

Idk if this is the right place to put this, but I'd like to share my favorite use for coconut oil. I use coconut oil for everything. Makeup remover, cuticle oil, hair and skin conditioner, hot oil treatment, foot softener, sunburn relief, oil pulling, in my coffee, cooking, oil cleasing method. The list could go on...But my favorite use for it is bleaching my hair. I slather my hair with it at least 2 hours before I attack my roots, but prefer to leave it on overnight to let it fully absorb into the cortex of my hair. Then I apply hair bleach right over it. I've had olaplex used on me in the salon, but it doesn't beat the coconut oil method. The first time I tried it, I had previously bleached hair that was feeling a bit dry and rough (last coloring had used olaplex). After the root touch up was washed from my hair, my hair felt back to it's normal healthy texture. Soft, bouncy, and very shiny. I've read somewhere that using this method helps to speed up the lightening process, and I'm kind of inclined to agree with it. A single bleaching with the coconut oil gets my hair to pale yellow in 30 mins, with a 30 volume developer. I like that I can touch up my roots at home for a lot less than the salon and get better results to boot! I highly recommend you give it a shot next time you lighten your hair.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

For someone with low-medium porosity, 2c/3a wavy/curly hair that has been looking dull and dry after an incredible summer and a little too much processing, coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment has worked wonders at restoring some of the softness and shine to my lack-lustre locks. I did some research and found out that Argan and the other oils promoted for use on hair really only coat the strands, their molecular structure is too large to actually penetrate the hair shaft. But coconut oil has a much smaller molecular structure which apparently can penetrate the hair and is highly recommended for low porosity hair. This is hair that has trouble absorbing moisture and takes a very long time to dry (despite it's appearance). I don't recommend this for everyone, you really have to know your hair type and it's needs. I warm the oil between the palms of my hands and work in sections, mainly from mid length to ends, avoiding the scalp although I do run my hands through the upper portion to deal with any frizziness but still trying to avoid the roots/scalp. Once my hair is thoroughly saturated, I twist my hair up into a bun and wait up to an hour before shampooing and conditioning as usual. The coconut oil washes out, does not leave a greasy film behind and my hair is in much better condition after doing this.

I have not used coconut oil as a makeup remover/balm, etc. as I am prone to acne and there are comedogenic properties in this oil. I do however also use this in cooking, it is delicious and gives a wonderful flavour to your food.

on 11/8/2016 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Where have you been all my life? I was skeptical, as oils do not usually play well with my hair texture (high density, fine width, 3/a weak curl pattern). I absolutely love this in my hair as a leave in/mask. I recently grew out my hair and did a big chop of all old hair color and was desperate to grow my hair long again and get it in good condition and this has helped TONS. I wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week, warm some oil in my hands, and apply from roots to tips and put my hair up in a bun. I wear my hair like this for a few days then repeat. If I want to wear my hair down and actually style it, I will use the oil VERY sparingly or just skip it all together.

I also love this on my body and on painful acne of the face.

Wonder product, truly.

on 11/8/2016 11:49:00 AM

I get the coconut oil from Trader Joe's, and use it to remove makeup and as an all-body moisturizer. I don't use it on my face, as it doesn't do much for me. But removing make-up is a cinch, and right after my shower I put a little all over my body and it smells good AND dries quickly. Plus, the jar lasts forever.