Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Extra Virgin Coconut OilExtra Virgin Coconut OilExtra Virgin Coconut OilExtra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 6/5/2017 8:31:00 AM

This review is for use on your skin, and it's a big NO from me! I was trying to make the move to more natural skincare products and after reading a good review about the coconut oil cleansing method, I decided to try it for myself. I simply applied the oil to my face and then wiped it off with a hot wash cloth. It does get full marks for removing makeup and left my skin lightly moisturised. However, after a couple of days I started to see spots appearing on my face. I stopped using it immediately and my skin cleared up. I think this oil is too much for your face and blocks pores, if you suffer from acne or oily skin I would definitely think twice before using this on your face.

on 5/11/2017 10:41:00 AM

Tried it on my face as all over makeup remover but broke me out....then i use it for eye makeup remover which is okay but takes long time to get waterproof mascara to break off.......good thing is that it doesn't burn and bother my eyes after like most eye makeup remover does....and it find it much more gentle to be rubbing this around my eyes because it's a bit cushiony.

Tried it as all over hair mask and luv it!!!!!!!!!!!! Just put this all over my hair including scalp.....leave it on for a while and then wash it off but make sure to shampoo twice.......cause first time i only shampoo once and alot of the oil stayed on my hair and i was not good the day after......when done right, my hair is noticeably more shinny and less frizzy...and okay to put heat on it without frying your hair....will continue to do the mask once or twice a week!!!

on 4/22/2017 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

If you have normal Asian hair and sensitive skin, I recommend saving the extra virgin coconut oil for desserts (for example, coconut oil plus melted chocolate on a frozen banana hardens into a chocolate shell which is delicious; and it's also good for vegan style vanilla cupcakes and as as the fat in a yogurt cake).

When I tried a small amount as a hair conditioner, my hair became a greasy mess and it took many washings to get it out. A final rinse with apple cider vinegar finally did it, but my hair was a limp lifeless mess for a few days afterwards. It's comedogenic, and I did have some irritation on my scalp -- even though I did try not to get it on the scalp. Since, I am prone to hives and milia, I didn't want to risk it near my face. While I think it's great that some people have had great results using it as a make up remover, any rich moisturizing ingredient could cause milia on or near the lashes.

Even as a body moisturizer or in place of shaving cream, I recommend doing a patch test.

on 4/10/2017 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My go-to brand is Carrington Farms Pure Cold Pressed 100% Organic Extra Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil . It's pretty cheap at WalMart (maybe $7-$8 for a 12fl oz size.) It'll take me years to go through that sized container. I've had it for around a year now and not even halfway through it.

When I'm in between moisturizers I use this as skincare.. under my eyes mostly but all over my face as needed. If you use this stuff on your skin I urge to you use organic, extra virgin, and UNREFINED coconut oil. Refined coconut oil works just fine for cooking, but if you're going to put it on your face or body it's better to go with the purest version available. Coconut oil will either work well for your skin, or your skin will hate it. It doesn't clog my pores so I love the moisture it provides and the soft feeling of my skin the day after I use it.

I've put this on my body before too and it works great. The thing I love about coconut oil is that mine is generally more solid than liquid (I don't like keeping it in the fridge because it turns rock solid, so leaving it out sometimes even in an air conditioned room it tends to get quite thinned out from the Texas summer heat.) But I like that I can usually apply it as a lotion-consistency and that it melts down into an oil when it comes into contact with body heat. Just use sparingly, and give yourself a few minutes to let it completely absorb before putting on clothes or laying on your sheets, and you should be fine.

If you are interested in oil pulling, coconut oil works best for that purpose for me. Swishing coconut oil around in my mouth for 10-20 minutes in the morning, then spitting it out in the trash and brushing my teeth as usual, really helps keep my teeth cleaner and whiter. There are supposed to be plenty of other health benefits to oil pulling as well, but I do it purely for dental hygiene purposes and am happy with the results.

There are plenty of other uses for this stuff... one of the more unorthodox that I've seen is how my boyfriend uses it. He has stretched ears and at night he takes out his plugs and moisturizes all around his ears with coconut oil. The only problem is if he gets it too far up behind his ears he starts breaking out behind them! He is one of the many people that are clog-prone when it comes to coconut oil. But if he strictly puts it on the gauged out parts of his ears only then it works really well to hydrate the area.

on 4/9/2017 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Coconut oil is the cure for everything lol, mine however - super dry skin in winter (both face and body) and preventative pregnancy stretch marks.

on 3/29/2017 3:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

OMG....VCO made my acne become worst.....i tried use it for oil cleasing. I guess Olive oil is much better than VCO. VCO can very good for my hair and body except face. So every woman with acne, be careful !

on 3/22/2017 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Coconut-oil is my savior when my skin is extremely sensitive. Can't live without it. A good replacer for Lush's "UltraBland".

on 3/8/2017 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Holy cow - nothing has made me break out like coconut oil used as an oil cleanser to remove makeup (I double cleanse but even the foaming cleanser didn't help).

It caused these huge cystic pimples. I stopped using and I stopped breaking out.

I suffered from some selective amnesia and had forgotten I had broken out and used it again and a couple of days later, I'm erupting again in pimples. I'm a 49 year old woman and my principle issues are one of dehydration and age spots, NOT pimples usually.

P.s. Smells great, dirt cheap and is so so as a body moisturizer so if you have to use that gallon size you purchased from Costco, you could pour it into your bath tub as a substitute for baby oil!

on 2/12/2017 6:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Coconut oil is a good product to have on hand since you can do so many things (it's great for cooking & shaving too), but I wanted to pass on something else: it can get rid of lice.

Look it up if you unfortunately find yourself in an elementary school outbreak (an almost inevitable reality of kids & not a big deal). The general routine is to smear the hair and scalp with coconut oil and apply a shower cap (which helps keep it tidier). The oil barrier suffocates lice by blocking oxygen to the hair and scalp. Voila! No chemicals for an average, mild treatment.

No need to worry about extra virgin versus virgin versus regular oil. These designations only denote the pressing of the oil, extra virgin meaning the first press, and virgin being second. It doesn't affect the quality or performance of the oil at all, but in some oils, it affects flavor for cooking hence this label. (Be warned the FDA isn't given funding by Congress to monitor it, and extra virgin isn't necessarily pure, as evidenced by many tests on "extra virgin" olive oils.)

on 2/12/2017 6:21:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am in LOVE with coconut oil, I cant live with it !!
I use it on my face usually, i've been using it for 2 years now. I used to have a very dry skin but thanks to coconut oil not anymore ! my skin is doing so much better but you need to give it some time to work.
I also use it on my hair after blow drying it, I take a little amount I rub it with my hands then comb the ends of my hair, it makes my hair look soo healthy and beautiful !