Serge Lutens Arabie

Serge Lutens Arabie

3.2

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I am in love with Serge Lutens. No, seriously...this man is an absolute genius!! In the past three months, I have bought eight of his fragrances. Every single one is so very different, but they all share a common "Lutens-ian" quality. Incredible art in a bottle...every scent a true masterpiece. So, on to Arabie. I have no local seller, so all of my purchases are blind. I do tons of reasearch before taking the plunge, but never know exactly what I am getting until that first spray. Arabie was an incredible surprise. Upon first spray I got tons of spice and LICORICE! After 2-3 minutes I get the indian/chinese curry note. I don't dislike that though. It is somehow comforting. After that settles, Arabie become sweeter. Kind of like the incense you smell in indian shops. But all of it comes in layers. I have no idea how perfumers can design something that smells different as time passes. After 8+ hours of wear, the curry and food like spices are gone. What is left is sweet, incense with something orangey and soft. This is such a comforting smell. Smells of cooking of baking, of clean and cozy. Very warm and friendly. It is cold where I live right now and Arabie is so very nice wafting out from my coat when I am out and about. Nothing aloof about Arabie, but it doesn't smell cheap. These are obviously high quality spices and I smell absolutely incredible. If you like something out of the ordinary, and wear scent for more than just to "smell good", then give Arabie a chance!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Don't tell Monsieur Lutens but I think this perfume smells exactly like a cross between the pineapple fried rice at my local vegan Thai restaurant and a Port that someone scored in Paso Robles for me once upon a time. Don't get me wrong, the five lipsticks above was not in error, I think this perfume is a masterpiece, truly one of Mr. Lutens' best, simply pas pour moi, merci. I think someone below called it "violent" and I would agree. It is the ultimate poetic savory soul crushing oriental gourmand. I am very fortunate to have a friend who wears it. Arabie smells lovely on her and I get to enjoy the scent from time to time, that and joining in her maniacal laughter at the desperate souls who are left whimpering in her wake.

Notes according to Luckyscent: cedar, sandalwood, candied mandarin peel, dried figs, dates, cumin, nutmeg, clove, balsamic resins, Tonka bean, Siamese benzoin, myrrh

To Read all 119 Reviews, Login or Join

Initially this fragrance can be somewhat overpowering and sweet but it dries down to a very nice spicy smell that has the tendency to recede and then suddenly reappear with a little blast of spice. I love that with scents. I like for them to remind me I am still wearing them even if it is not a constant drumbeat. I do recommend applying sparingly to begin with and I always put it on at least 1/2 to 1 hour before going out. It can take that long to dry down. It can be especially nice if you run it through your hair. I do agree that it should be sampled first and is not for everyone. It just happens to work with my chemistry.

on 11/4/2011 11:38:00 PM

Initially I get a blast of herbs, almost of a medicinal quality, and it's strong. The bay leaf, cumin and clove translates as spicey cola to my nose, but underneath you can definitely sense the sweetness. As the scent warms the spices settle a bit but the cola aspect is still there; on cloth, the spices stay, on skin, they mellow out. I'm getting lashes of myrrh and fruit at this point, but it's very aggressive. This scent definitely is lacking subtlety; there's no way you could wear this and not be noticed. This scent never seems to lose its clove gum feeling.....for candied fruit/incense/interesting I'll stick with Fille En Aiguilles.

on 10/23/2011 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is why my mom always smells like fruitcake in winter. This scent is comforting and delicious at the same time.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This stuff smells so bad that it honestly and truly makes me sick to my stomach. I get something like a ton of those dried fruits. Thank God it's only a vial, imagine what a full bottle would do!

I agree that this turns a little bitter. actually a lot bitter. to be honest, I mainly smell cumin with a little nutmeg and something sharp & bitter I can't place - maybe the benzoin? There is a little of the dried fruits peeking out, but you have to put your nose right up to it and inhale deeply to get it - if you were just walking past all someone would smell would be bitter cumin nutmeg and something medicinal (clove?) that screams out in a harsh kind of way. somehow this scent doesn't "blend" well on me. not the warm quirky spicy scent I was looking for :-(

Notes: cedar, sandal, candied mandarin, dried fig and date; nutmeg, cumin and clove; bay-leaf, Tonka, Siamese benzoina and myrrh; labdanum.

Starts pungent spicy, but mellows later to a sweet and spicy fragrance. The tonic bean and the cloves are very strong notes; the sandalwood is also but less noticeable. The dry down is slightly bitter. At first the fragrance has great silage, in its later stages it stays closer to skin. It loses power as it progresses.

on 2/13/2010 10:03:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Wow, this is a very spiced potion. As the notes have been mentioned in previous reviews, I won't go through them again. This is a very thoughtful fragrance as are most from Serge. I can't wear this. The top is pure cumin on my skin, drying down to a very strong, medicinal
cloud that just won't quit. Rather like a muscle rub. Not what I want to smell like. I must have odd body chemistry because this seems well loved by many. As with any high $$ scent, test before investing.

on 1/14/2010 10:29:00 AM

Arabie is most certainly spicy. Being a fan of spicy orientals, I thought this would be instant love for me. It is not however the case. I like it, I like it a lot. It's lasting power is also great. However, it's more aggressive than I expected; it lacks smoothness. It is for me, a masculine fragrance, and I'm not a woman who shies away from unisex perfumes. Hours after I tried it, the nutmeg runs supreme, dominating any other note. I like it, but would love it on a man.

Popular Fragrances