Bobbi Brown Chocolate Eye Palette

4.1

I was pleasantly surprised by this palette. I've had other Bobbi Brown palettes in the past and haven't been to impressed, so I had fully planned on not buying this. However, I had a difficult time resisting the beautiful neutrals. I now use this palette just as much as my Naked Basics palette. The colors are great and I appreciate that the one "glittery" shadow, really just creates a wash of superfine glitter that makes it appropriate for daytime/work.

Two quick notes:
1. 75% of the shadows (with exception of Banana and Espresso) look best as lid colours IMO and blend very well with each other.
2. I have fair to medium skin and i'm pretty sure this palette was designed for lighter, not "medium to dark" skin as the official line says.

Overall I love it. Some of the shadows I wouldn't normally pick out but now I rate Amber as one of my everyday faves.

To Read all 42 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/15/2011 8:28:00 AM

I purchased this eye palette and love it! But, then gave it away. (big mistake). I am looking for another one to swap or purchase. If anyone has one I would be willing to swap for lots of Laura Geller items or pay for it. Thank you!

on 5/2/2011 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hmmmm .... I was so excited when I finally managed to get hold of this, only to find the colours a little too ... ordinary. Bone is a good highlighter, Chocolate is a good eyeliner, but the rest of them are pretty much like any other colours in any other palette. I'm sure there are some good dupes out there somewhere, costing a fraction of the price. I expected more for my money, so in future I'll keep my purse strings firmly drawn.

on 2/17/2009 10:14:00 PM

I spent close to $80 on this palette at Holt Renfrew and I cannot say I am impressed. I have tried for a long time to make it work and love it but alas... I don't!! It makes my eyes dull and tired looking...lifeless. The hype got to me but at the end, this palette was a huge let down. At least it looks pretty amongst my MU collection...and the e/s duo-ended brush that came with it isn't shabby either.

EDIT: I have learned to use some of the colors better - esp the silver shade which makes for a beautiful smokey eye. The darker browns are still a little difficult to work with....except as a liner perhaps? Still a worthy collection but I would not repurchase.

on 4/8/2008 11:43:00 AM

This is a gorgeous palette of brown shades that I absolutely love. I wish this wasn't limited edition! I like this for a simple, daytime look for work. The matte colors are silky smooth in texture and really flatter my brown eyes. I'm not as big a fan of the shimmery colors, but admit they are nice too (I'm just not into shimmer at the moment). I also *really* like the brushes that came with this set.

If you like these colors a lot, I also recommend trying the Revlon Colorstay quad in Coffee Bean. Some shades are very similar (though the Revlon ones are slightly less warm) and the quality is fantastic for the price.

on 1/27/2008 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This was so hyped, so raved and so sold out that I had to have it. Sadly though, I'm very disappointed and really can't see what the fuss is about. The colours just don't work on my tanned (GA LSF 5.5/Becca Macademia) skin. I do have horrid eye circles which make my eyelid area look a little dark already as it is, and putting on these colours only make my eye area look darker especially cos' most of the colours are matte. They all kinda turned out looking the same on me, colour payoff-wise. Blah.
The shimmer ones (3 i think only?) are ok but not wake-me-up fantastic neutrals either.
Everything just came off looking bland, blah and flat on me, doesn't look like I'm wearing a nice workday neutral eye. Only makes me look tired and like I'm not wearing any eyeshadow at all! I probably need brighter and more dimensional neutrals than these (I find these shades in Stila!). Also, I don't find the texture of these eyeshadows great, definitely not the buttery soft my Stila is. I felt I could do more for a neutral eye with my Perfectly Gold palette even though that has just 3 shadows for a neutral eye than with the 7 colours in this.

I only like the sleek slim metal compact and the brush that came with these. Colour-wise and texture-wise, they didn't work for me at all. All the hype, but not for me. Maybe I should try the Stonewashed Nudes, the colours there seem lighter and more variation between the shades.

on 1/22/2008 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this as a gift, when it was still available. It's expensive for me to buy on my own. The dual-ended brush (one stiff and one fluffy) is good. I wish all the shades had shimmer. I tend to ignore the mattes in favor of the shimmers, which are very subtle.
I want to agree with a review of the stonewash palette. Bone is in that one and this one. It doesn't show up at all! I can't figure out what the point is. Either make is darker as another brown or make it lighter so my eye can look brighter and farther apart.
I'm getting tired of all her L.E. too. But overall, a nice palette. When the stones came out, I liked it better than this one. Now I barely use it.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Like the previous reviewer, I tried to get a Chocolate Palette for over a year. When I finally received one in a swap, I was a bit disappointed. The shades are beautiful but they very simliar to so many other Bobbi Brown shades. While I love browns/neutral eyeshadows, these colors are extremely warm; almost too warm for my complexion. If I had been able to see the palette in person, I probably would have passed on it. That said, I am still glad that I got a chance to own the Chocolate Palette. Otherwise, I would still be pining away for one!

on 12/30/2007 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

After trying for almost a year to get my hands on this I was completely underwhelmed..Not that the palette is bad mind you but, it's just painfully ordinary.The palette contains a great dual ended brush.One fluffy application side and a stiff lining side along with:Bone:Ms.Brown's standard off white base/highlighting shade,Caramel truffle shimmerwash:light golden beige,Frappe:matte sueded tan,Champagne Truffle shimmerwash:slightly peachy champagne,Cacao Shimmerwash:deep rich chocolate brown w/ shimmer(the star of the palette but easily duped with BB's own Chocolate shimmerwash),Stone:medium slightly tauped brown and Chocolate:a deep, matte chocolate brown..If you're in need of some basic,everyday browns in one conveient palette and you don't own any other neutrals or browns, then this is for you..Otherwise,Not worth the time or money to get ahold of