Yankee Candles Yankee Candles

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Coarse

that product is amazing

on 8/30/2016 7:14:00 AM

Mmmmm so soooo good. I bought 'Pain Au Raisin' the other day and it smelt like a bakery when I burnt it in my room. I don't usually detect notes, but you could smell the raisins found in a pastry! Ugh so good.

Now I don't like all the scents they offer, but the foodie ones I have purchased over the years have all been to die for.

In Australia these are pretty expensive, so it's a bit of treat to get one. When I was in the US I remember these being so much cheaper (as in three quarters of the price) and easily available in Walmart. I was literally burning tons of the large jars in my hotel rooms because they were so cheap that I just couldn't resist ^__^

Anyway I love Yankee Candles. I suppose I have an issue that they are not pure soy. Oh and the price. Apart from that, best scents I've ever come across (and I make my own candles so that is saying something lol!).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm pretty "on the fence" about Yankee Candles. Here in Canada, they're really on the pricey side so I only purchase when there's a "deal" - 50% off or buy-one/get-one but even then, they're a lot more expensive than B&BW, which also often go on sale. I also find some of their scents really off-putting, but there are others I really like (and I guess this is true of any scented product). I am not a fan of the "jar" candles (I think that's what they're called) - they don't look especially elegant, even with the labels removed. I also purchased one of their "crackle" candles (I think that's what they're called) a few years back and it was a total gimmick and disappointing. I do like the variety of scents, products and sizes they offer and I really like their car clip thingies - the ones you put on your heat/ac vents. I have a few of those in the fragrances I like and they are so much nicer than anything available in the grocery store or Canadian Tire. The stores here in Canada - or at least the one accessible to me - have a very limited range of their products/scents, which is another thing I don't like. I like to sniff before I buy and ordering online and then having to return is 100% NOT my "thing" so I'm somewhat limited in terms of choice. I guess I'm just not enough of a "candle person" to spend bigger bucks on these and prefer either deep markdown prices at B&BW or purchasing luxury soy candles made in my own home city here in Canada and packaged very much like Diptyque candles but made here and some named for places that have meaning for me.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I don't understand why or how Yankee Candle has seemingly gone downhill in recent years. I used to love them and always looked forward to their new releases. Sadly, that is not the case anymore. While these look like they will smell good while burning, there is usually a good deal of visible wax in the jars, which would lead one to believe the candle will have a strong "throw", these really have no "throw" at all, and even with my sensitive nose, I can stand right next to many of them while they are burning and not smell the scent. There are a few exceptions, I think there was one called Pumpkin Ginger Bark or something in the Fall of 2014 (or was it 2013? the years go by so fast when you get older!!), that one actually had an obscene amount of throw and gave me a headache, even when in the next room. But that is only like 1 out of maybe 20 candles I have tried in the last 3 or 4 years that had any "throw".

I appreciate that they do not do (what I I feel to be) the tween/teenage/childish pictures like some companies (cough*cough*bath*and*body*works*cough), and their jars are pleasant to hold in the hands and yes their snazzy candle rings/toppers and illuma lids that make pools of wax more easily attainable are all nice. But in the end if you can't detect the scent, then that is kind of a disappointment, to say the least. Unless of course you just want to burn candles for ambience. But for me, I will stick with the tarts. They are actually safer to use and I don't have to worry about soot in the air or dusting up my ceilings.

Hopefully they turn it around, they used to be one of my favorite companies. I will say though, they are by no means the only company to be putting out lack-luster candles in recent years. Not sure what is up with that, but again, I will stick with my tarts, they are safer and cleaner to use, to boot!! ;)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Cant begin to tell you how frustrated the british public are with the rapid decline in the quality of yankee candle products. As a retailer we have so much competition because its yankee candle uk policy to sell in every outlet possible in every town. In my town there are 30 outlets!
But what is so embarrassing is the number of complaints we get from the public that they dont smell of anything.
The tarts are the worst. Missing lables. Crumbling. Greasy. No fragrance.
Large jars which have no scent. Discolour after 2 months or have no wick!
Samplers with no wick! Or no wrapper!
Top price bottom quality...watch out yankee the brits are revolting!!

on 10/24/2015 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used to like YC but I've given up on them, I think the quality has gone way down and they're a bit of a rip-off. They may smell good in the store, and that includes the plug-ins, but at home the scent ends up being very weak. And I find the stronger scented ones to smell very artificial and chemical. I found myself returning them more often than not. I now prefer BBW, and quite honestly I've even had Glade candles that I thought performed better than YC.

on 7/10/2015 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Reminds me of being back at my Mama's house growing up. Man i miss those days, and these candles take me back. Ily mom!!!

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I really wanted to like Yankee Candles as I had seen many positive reviews about them.

However, sadly that wasn't the case. I bought some votives and wax melts first so I could try a variety of scents without it costing too much. I also bought a melt warmer. The fragrances I really liked were black coconut, midnight jasmine, vanilla lime and white gardenia.

Although they smelt fine in the shop, after they had been at home on the worktop for a few hours, the smell of them seemed really strong and gave me a bad headache. Although having a good throw even when unlit is supposed to be good, it wasn't in my case, as I had to put them all in a tin and put them away!

Eventually I decided to try a wax melt in black coconut. What smelt so nice in the shop was awful. Very synthetic, very strong, and my headache came back with a vengeance. I blew out the tea light and left the melt to cool enough to remove it. It was advised to push it on one side and it would pop out whole. However although I thought I had left it to cool enough, I hadn't, and some of the wax inside was still liquid and went everywhere! Fortunately I was doing this in the kitchen and was able to clean up ok, but there weren't any warnings about this happening. How was I supposed to know?

I was fed up by now, all the scents were too synthetic and headache inducing - I tried a votive as well and had the same problem. I contacted the store, and after a lot of discussion they agreed to refund what I hadn't opened. That was good of them, but maybe my relating the incident of the wax melt made a difference.

So I'm sorry, but I think they're overpriced, and due to the problems I had, I won't be repurchasing. I also think at this price point they could use soy wax rather than paraffin wax as there is growing concern about pollutants from burning paraffin wax candles and soy wax is supposed to be much safer.

Great products - I love the strong smelling ones they can literally make your whole house smell beautiful for hours on end :)

This review says it all really
continued >>

I have a love/hate relationship with YC, but these days I find myself making too many returns. Is it just me, or has the quality of the orginal jar candles gone down?
BEWARE: the large jars that are $30 seem to no longer have a good scent throw. DO NOT let the scent fool you in store, I literally cannot smell any of them unless I stand right next to the candle while it's burning. You are better off going to B&BW or even Walmart's Better Homes and Gardens collection has a better scent throw than these overpriced candles! The jars are a pain in the butt to burn and maintain, and they want you to purchase these illumi-lids to cover the candle so it burns properly and evenly. So, buying the lid and the candle is going to cost you over $40.

Never ever pay full price for anything at YC, always buy on sale or better yet, on sale with a coupon. The prices are a bit high for the average person just looking for a few candles for their home.

On the bright side, staff is usually very friendly and helpful in making scent recommendations. Love the tarts/wax melts, the tea light and votives seem to have a decent scent throw as well. I am a huge Boney Bunch fan, it's great to see stores that go all out for Halloween :)

Popular Candles