Chanel No. 22

Chanel No. 22
Chanel 22No. 22

3.8

on 12/12/2016 3:41:00 AM

Loooove it. It is almost like No5 so if like the previous I'm sure you like this one

This review is for the vintage EdT, c. 1990.

Top Notes: Tuberose, Lily, Neroli, Lily of the Valley, Orange Blossom, Aldehydes.

Heart Notes: Nutmeg, White Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang.

Base Notes: Iris, Vanilla, Vetiver.

For a very long time, I was afraid of No. 22. Its legendary aldehydes caused me to keep my distance. If they were not enough to make me reticent in ordering it, there was the unfortunate issue of poor performance to consider. Frankly, at Chanel prices, it did not seem worth the risk. However, I recently had the opportunity to acquire a vintage EdT, and I decided to take the plunge. I more impressed than I ever thought I would be! Wow!

No. 22 is a divine white floral. It smells very "French" and very elegant. Yes, there are aldehydes that persist throughout the wearing, but they are not the monsters I feared they would be. Some people think No. 22 is version of No. 5, but I disagree. No. 22 stands completely on her own merit, and she smells much more elegant and refined than No. 5. No. 22 is the type of fragrance I envision being worn by a very refined, very wealthy woman.

The beautiful white floral notes seem to float on the aldehydes. It smells soapy, clean, and fresh. Thus far, I do not detect the incense that so many reviewers claim to detect. To my nose, this is simply while floral perfection. I picture the woman who wears this as tall, slender, with porcelain-like skin. She wears her elegantly styled hair upswept, and she is draped in the finest silk garments.

The story goes that whence Coco Chanel was ready to launch her first fragrance, Ernest Beaux wanted her to choose No. 22, but she chose No. 5 instead. All I can say is I agree with M. Beaux. Chanel should have taken his wise counsel. The man was a genius. I cannot wait to find out how No. 22 performs in cold weather. I bet it will be stunning.

The vintage EdT has better than average, projection, sillage, and longevity, too.

on 9/10/2015 7:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is a review of modern 22 EdT. (I have numerous generously sized manufacturers samples). When I dabbed it on, I immediately thought No. 5, with more citrus/neroli and a striking but fleeting effervescence. A modern reinterpretation very recognizable and faithful to the original, but perhaps skewing to a younger demographic because it is, well, bubbly. A fragrantica review summed it up very well as a no. 5 flanker. I don't find this as sweet as Cristalle EdT, and even though I am not a fan of sweet florals, I do prefer Cristalle.

I should confess that my taste does not run to abstract aldehydic floral category; I am not a fan of the chanel treatment of aldehydes which goes soapy on my skin; and, I have grown from dislike to relatively indifference to my bottle of No. 5 vintage EdC (which I have read is supposedly more animalic and muted). I also read somewhere that Chanel famously used different formulas for EDT, EdC and parfum. In the floral aldehyde category, I would probably prefer to wear Amouage Gold, Estée Lauder Beautiful (a more literal floral), or Guerlain Chant de Aromes, or a Nina Ricci. Or Tamango, by Leonard, which is a softer aldehydic floral. Or possibly Caron extrait Montaigne that I used to wear years ago. It is somewhat presumptuous of me to dismiss this broad category - I think aldehydes are present in many more types of fragrances, but I can also intensely dislike EL white linen which some reviewers state was inspired by 22. I do prefer the softer Guerlain aldehydic dry down which many modern wearers feel is too powdery. I find that while I object to the massive amounts of powder in modern fragrances (serge Lutens fumerie Turque) but Guerlain extrait turns moistly pollinated, not too throat parchingly dry. I sadly don't get much incense in the base notes here.

If I do wear Chanel, it will be my older bottles of EDT 19 or Pour Monsieur (I am a Galbanum fan); Cristalle for summer only; or an older version of les Exclusives il de bois ( the jury is still undecided on Les exclusives Cuir de Russie). I have a sizable decant of Coromandel that I thought I would adore, but sadly I don't. EDIT: its the start of autumn, and il de Bois is a bit too sweet on me now. I am getting finder if CdR, but possibly Knize ten is a better fit. . . And, coromandel is growing on me.

For the modern woman who loves No. 5, I imagine that this would be a perfect every day scent in all but price.

I have so much perfume that I try not to buy large bottles of anything anymore. In fact, the sole reason I am testing this is that I am actively trying to use my samples.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

A gem of a perfume, the most exquisite, delicate, and feminine fragrance I've ever worn.
I was in Paris at the Galeries Lafayette a year ago with the purpose of buying Sycomore, BUT I happened to smell N°22 and things took a different course: I had to have it !
I love it because it reminds me of Chanel 5 with something smoother and more refined about it.
So I bought the 75ml bottle last summer in Paris, and ordered the 200ml one for Christmas, definitely worth it.
The big bottle is half gone now, so I try to use it sparingly to make it last as long as possible. This summer, I'm also using White Linen, another very aldehydic perfume, which is one of my favorites.
White Linen is often compared to N°22, and they are close indeed: two aldehydic and floral perfumes, but WL is starchier and fresher, the 22 is more into white florals, "plusher" and more sensual in the basenotes.

on 12/31/2014 12:34:00 AM

Beautiful! I bought samples of all of the Les Exclusifs and this one is the one that stood out to me as being the most gorgeous scent of them all. I've received several compliments on the scent. The bottle is pricey and huge! I don't know if I'll ever use the whole thing, it's so large! I wish Chanel would make it in smaller bottles and drop the price. They offer a travel size but there's no value as it's a quarter the full size but it's only about $100 less than the full sized bottle. The scent is very long lasting on me-more than 5 hours. It is strong so you only need a small amount! I'm not good at descibing scents so I found this on Fragrantica.com: "The perfect, classical, silky fragrance of this perfume is composed of gorgeous jasmine, orange blossom, fresh green note of lilac and sweet rose. Aldehydes, bergamot, neroli and peach are in the top notes, while the base is woodsy and musky with balsamic notes of tonka, benzoin and opoponax."

on 9/23/2014 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My nose must be broken. I don't understand. I get no flowers, no powder, no vanilla, nothing white at all....I get hours and hours and hours of straight frankincense and smoke. I feel like everyone is smelling something entirely different and I want to smell what they smell!! This is vintage EDT; could that be why? Maybe I am only getting the base notes?
Well, whatever is wrong I have to give it credit for longevity. Oh well. There are other Chanels I love....but tested this and loved it. This is just so different!

on 8/20/2013 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought a sealed box of the extrait. Like Arpege, this gentle aldehyde barely registers on me, I seem to require civet with my aldehydes. then I spilt a good 3 ml! On the kitchen counter!. Quickly I slathered myself with that 3 ml. After socking me in the face with neroli at that dosage, it smelt nice enough, my son could smell it from 5 feet away, and I still could barely smell it after an hour. What registers is clearly high quality—the best jasmine, the best neroli, and I say sandalwood even if no-one else does. This business of not being able to smell Chanel has been true for me in general: I am almost completely anosmic to Cuire Russie, sorry to say, and I just do not like N° 5. I'll stick to my Carons and Guerlain. Lesson learned.

on 6/20/2013 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

A wrap of dusky incense and blackwood, almost hidden by a cloud of white chiffon. Chanel No. 22 is extraordinarily pretty: creamy, sweet and sparkling. While usually I don't feel one's clothes need to 'match' the perfume of the day, there's something about No. 22 that deserves good jewellery, a proper skirt and black eyeliner. Although it came out in 1922 originally, it vividly brings to mind Capucine or Anna Karina in the early 60s.

on 5/31/2013 3:10:00 AM

Chanel No.22 is a vixen. It has a perfectly calm exterior of pastel greens - ever so proper and ladylike- hiding a thunderous nature. Leather. A chic bob, a trenchcoat and perhaps silk lingerie underneath.

It opens with clean, bright aldehydes like Dia or Rive Gauche (both of which I love) but there's something more sulphuric in the aldeyhydes of No.22. This is a pastel green note, a particular grassiness. Then the heart is some robust leather on me. It's not soft, it's not suedey, it's tough, with just a tad of powder. When the storm is over, No 22 calms down, resumes its ladylike manners and carries on with its slightly grassy, slightly sulphuric, very slightly rubbery powder. It's a tremendous olfactory experience and sometimes I crave for it; but I can't see myself wearing it regularly. Interestingly, my Cabochard fan mother doesn't get any leather from this; it's a perfectly graceful floral on her.

on 5/17/2013 4:19:00 PM

One of my absolute favorite Chanels in both the EDT and the parfum extrait.
The Les exclusifs EDT is rich and long lasting with a huge white burst of clean aldehydes. I adore aldehydes having been trained in Chanel No 5 from the age of 19 . Whereas No 5 is sweeter ,muskier and nowadays I think the aldehydes have been toned down and sadly No 5- every concentration appears to have been reformulated . So No. 22 is a great replacement for No 5 if you are loving and looking for intense aldehydes. Though in actuality No 5 and No 22 are quite different - for your money's worth No 22 is worth it.

So blindingly clean and white aldehydes - fresh before fresh meant *fruity* and then lily of the valley and white florals ,vanilla and incense in a small amount. This No 22 has personality and once you smell it, you will never forget it or mistake it for anything else.

The extrait- 15 mls is $175 USD - worth it ,my friends. It will last you a long time. If the EDT is lasting, the extrait is even more so . It's the EDT concentrated and intensified though more mellow and deeper. The aldehydes are somewhat less in this dab form or so I perceive it as such . It's a bit sweeter, more dense , darker and glorious. A few dabs in all the right places last for hours on my skin.

Popular Fragrances