Essie Sole Mate

Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

3.7

on 10/19/2014 2:04:00 PM

I'm quite disappointed, after seeing it in magazines pitched as a smokey plum, I was hoping for a smokey grey purple. Instead it was far far closer to a blackened red. In short think wine, not plum.
Therefore my hunt led me to Barry M 'vintage violet' which is really lovely a smokey violet , with quite a bit of grey. Ironically the comparison is heightened as 'sole mate' Is still streaky after 2 coats and Barry M was pretty much perfect after 1. Over all, it's ok, but don't order online as it's very misleading.

on 11/15/2013 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a gorgeous deep plum colour which is perfect for Autumn. The polish applied like a dream and was opaque in just 2 coats. It dried quickly to a super glossy finish but I added a top coat to preserve the shine.

on 11/12/2012 1:28:00 AM

I love the color. But it is a bear to apply. Like most Essie polish, 1st coat goes on streaky. I waited 5 minutes, then applies the 2nd coat and it went blotchy, so blotchy that I was not sure that even a 3rd coat would salvage it. Also, I nicked a cuticle and trying to correct it only led to 'bleeding' of the color further into the cuticle. It was horrible.

I have not seen any comments about the bleeding aspect. And I sure don't understand the comments that say it was opaque in 1 coat. It was not opaque for me, even after 2 coats.

I removed the entire paint job and settled for "Don't Sweater It" instead.
If anyone has any tips on how to get a nice paint job with this polish, I sure would appreciate it. Also, how to handle the bleeding.

on 11/8/2012 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Overall, I like the nail polish. Not a color I would rush out and re-purchase if I lost it or ran out, but I do find myself using it every once in awhile.

The application is annoying for me. I love the color the polish gives off on the frst coat, but I find it is too streaky to leave with just one coat. And after the second coat, the color becomes the dark color you see in the bottle.

To me and on my skin tone, the color looks to be a deep maroon/brown color. I will only be using this color in the fall.

on 12/9/2011 4:01:00 PM

This polish is really starting to grow on me. After my first coat of application I was convinced that me and Sole Mate were going to be arch enemies. It was so streaky for a dark color. But low and behold, everything changed with the 2nd coat. The polish was opaque. I also have Masquerade Belle in my stash which looks pretty similar bottlewise. But from what I've seen Sole Mate is much more plummy and far less of a beast to work with then Masquerade. I layered Shine of the Times with this. I am obsessed with the way that this looks. It's quite possible that this eye-catching combo is my best looking manicure yet.

on 10/8/2009 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First coat went on a little streaky, but after 2nd looks gorgeous on my toes. Great fall color. Deep, deep purple/burgundy.

on 2/12/2009 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I just got this as my free item from Ulta. I picked the color quickly, so I was excited to see all the good reviews it had here. I just painted my nails with it and YUCK! I must have gotten a bad batch, this is so gooey - like, end-of-the-bottle gooey. I am going to try to get that thinning product to fix it. I dont understand what happened, this is like 7th or so Essie polish (all very dark, vampy colors) I have purchased and this has never happened. I had to apply it so quickly because it was so streaky, it looks like a 5th grader did my nails. The color is very pretty, so I cannot be upset with the shade and I would repurchase Essie as it is one of my favs. I am going to call this one a fluke...If anyone has any suggestions, they are welcome

on 10/16/2007 7:47:00 PM

This and Wicked are the best dark colors I have found. It has great staying power and looks good on most skin tones. My only complaint is the Essie bottles--they are always getting glued shut :-)

on 1/7/2006 5:18:00 PM

I really like this shade(Cat1104 described it perfectly as "a cool-toned, blackened plum creme") but found the quality a bit disappointing. It goes on quite streaky and application is not that easy. I will probably not repurchase, I will look for a lookalike with better quality.

Popular Polishes