Neosporin Pain Relief Cream

Neosporin Pain Relief Cream

4.6

on 11/5/2014 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a great tool to keep in your arsenal. Popped zits, cuts, scratches... I use this and never end up with infection. Cheap and available anywhere.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I use this on cuts, scrapes, etc. But the one thing I love using this on are pimples that have popped on their own. You know those painful ones that eventually just erupt and ever so slowly start excreting their disgusting contents onto the surface of your skin (bleh). So I just rip up a piece of cotton, put a dab of this on the cotton, stick it on my face and go to bed. The next day all the yellow stuff is on the cotton. Please be advised, this method does nothing for developing acne that has no puncture in it. For emergencies only. If your face is covered in 5+ more of these types on pimples, please go to the dermatologist, acne sucks, but you should definitely see a doctor if it hurts.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I have tried every type of neosporin the patented technology and the pain and relive one. I have mainly only used and have experience with trying this for the face after having a pimple popping episode to avoid scaring. Now here is the thing about neosporin. A few years back neosporins original formula was the best to use in this case. I hate their new patented technology, it really does help the wound heal faster but it doesn't help prevent scaring much the old version helped with the scaring to a point were there was no absolute trace of were the scar was. It was amazing ! This new formula gives me a n itchy rash I actually feel it makes my wounds heal with more of a scar like a purple scar. I will still use it for rare occasions when I just need for something to heal quick but that's all.

on 3/27/2011 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a very effective and useful product. I use this on any cut to prevent infection. I have very dry skin and use this if my lips become too cry and painful. It both soothes the irritation caused by dryness, and helps prevent infection. I really love this when I get a minor burn in the kitchen. If I use this right away, not only is that awful pain which usually lingers for hours, even with ice, gone, but no blister after. I very rarely break out during that time of the month, but when I do I use this on the blemish too to insure no scarring either. I much prefer this to the ointment as that seems to retain heat.

on 12/13/2010 5:55:00 AM

I use this after ive popped a pimple and after it's been cleaned with benzoyl peroxide. It clears mine within 24 hours to the point it's just a small red mark that goes away very quickly. Also alleviates the pain of waxing and soothes the irritation. I do the majority of my own waxing and sometimes I do lift some skin and this stuff will clear it up in 2-3 days as opposed to 5-7 days. Works great for almost anything!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm reviewing triple strength neosporin ointment. This is great for everything...rashes, lines, pimples, cuts, burns, dry skin. I use it on my lips and chin when i feel dry...it works better than a lip balm cuz its unscented. I really favor this for dry lips and lines around the lip and chin area that only are around when i'm dehydrated or have allergeric reactions to things. It's very soothing and doesn't thin skin out like OTC cortisone ointments and creams.

on 11/9/2008 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

"You know like when you get a little zit right there and you pick, and you pick, and you pick and then it looks like #&@%$" - as Rosana Rosana Dana would say, well that is what this is for and let me tell you, it is a good thing. So good, I feel my skin healing. Just don't go overboard as overuse is not recommended.

on 4/16/2008 3:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

OMG this is such a miracle product for me! I have mild to active acne due to a lot of factors, but 2 days ago I had a big ol' zit (think it may have been a 2 in 1 zit... weird) right under one of my nostrils that looked like a tomato and it hurt so bad. It bothered me so much that I began to pick at it to try and get all the gunk out, and unfortunately by picking at it, it wouldn't stop bleeding and it hurted even more. So I decided to be experimental and used neosporin on it. I never really thought of using this for my pimples because neopsorin is oil based and I have enough oil on my face to deal with as it is. But wow, a few hours later, it no longer hurts and the swelling already went down. The next day, both my nostrils are the same size again, except the one with the pimple is still slightly pink with a slight bump.

I decided to read up on using Neosporin on acne to be on the safe side and one site suggested using this for spot treatments only because neosporin's antiseptics are very powerful and prolong usage of this can cause your skin to build resistance, meaning your skin will get use to the stuff and will no longer give effect if you use topical antibiotic treatments later. Also it kills off the resistance your skin naturally has to fight off bacteria. =(

"While the benefits of Neosporin may sound great, potential users should also take into account the warnings that Pfizer has taken the time to print on the label. Precautions such as “Do not use over large areas of the body" and “Do not use longer than 1 week unless directed by a doctor" are serious warning signs for acne sufferers. Neosporin kills a lot more than just the P. Acnes bacteria that is primarily responsible for the formation of acne pustules. It also eliminates many agents that normally help your skin resist harmful bacteria. With long-term use, there is a danger that your skin may build up an antibiotic resistance which could end up making you more susceptible to serious infection down the road." http://searchwarp.com/swa66598.htm

After reading this, I was pretty disappointed. I was hoping to find my HG acne product. In a way I did, but I would have to sacrifice my health if I were to use this daily.

For the ones who want to use Neosporin for more than one week, here's a trick I read up on: place a tiny amount and mix it in with your moisturizer. I'm no doctor but I wouldn't recommend using this method too long either. Better safe than sorry later...

4 lippies b/c it works wonders and it's the only thing that really helps kill off icky painful pimples fast, but 1 off b/c it has side effects with long term usage.

on 12/10/2007 5:12:00 PM

Face picker here! I tried neosporin and have the same results as everybody! Its great!

My only issue was that i cant wear it during the day because its so "vaseline" like and makes my face shiny loking if i apply it all over, also it brings attention to my blemish. And forget makeup!
So anyways, Neosporin is AMAZING for night use or days when you stay at the house, but for self concious people like me , TRY CORTISONE (or Hydrocortisone). I used it at a friends once and it worked as well if not better than Neosporin. I ended up buying the cream type (i'm sure neosporin also comes in a cream, i just havent looked into it...) I apply it after i wash my face as a moisturizer.

I'm no dermatologist, but my face cleared up really nicely!!!! Both products are so great for acnee recovery, and the face pickers who make blemishes out of picking! They both are antibacterial i believe so if you do go at it one day and cant stop picking, at least it wont get infected! And it helps scaring, which is crucial when you are talking about the face!

on 12/9/2007 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This review is for a Neosporin offbrand (by HomeBest) called "Triple Antibiotic Ointment." The active ingredients are the same, and it is in the same petroleum-ointment consistency.

I use this ointment as an acne spot treatment, and the stuff is absolutely amazing!! I have tried nearly every acne spot treatment -- from Proactiv and Biore masks, to strong 10% BP creams, to 2.5% salicylic acid gels. Everything worked a little bit, but the blemishes never showed significant redness or size reduction overnight. Still, I continued to use them, just because they were the only things I had around the house to use.

Then, one day on MUA, I found "Neosporin" rated one of the top rated items in the [Skincare - Treatments] section at a 4.8 overall rating. I was very surprised, but figured that it was worth a try since everyone seems to have a tube around their house somewhere and it is meant for bacterial fighting after all. So I rummaged around our medicine cabinets and found HomeBest's knockoff version called "Triple Antibacterial Ointment". The ingredients listings were the same as Neosporin's online ingredient list, so I swiped some on each of my spots and then headed off to bed.

By the next morning, the spots did show some sign of improvement (at least compared to my other masks/creams/gels that I use for spot treatment). But I still wasn't seeing the miracle results that all other Neosporin users were so excited about. I figured that it just must have been the fact that mine was an offbrand, and maybe Neosporin had a secret ingredient or something.

BUT THEN... I came back onto MUA to look at some older Neosporin reviews, just to see if there was anything I was missing. And there definately was... THE BAND-AID! I started seeing more and more reviews mentioning placing a Band-Aid over the dab of Neosporin, so that it would stay in place and work its magic without rubbing off. This made perfect sense to me, since most of the ointment seemed to be gone from my face when I woke up in the morning.

So, the next night, I dabbed the ointment as usual on my various blemishes (raw-ish and uneven due to scratching etc... pleasant I know). Then, I cut some stretchy fabric Band-Aids down to blemish-covering-size and stuck them carefully on top of my spots. And off to bed I went.

The next morning, I awoke to much improved skin! The uneven, broken-skin blemishes were much less red, and the skin was definately healing and smoothing back out! Even though it was a non-makeup Saturday, it was obvious that makeup would have gone on very smoothly over the newly-smoothed skin (whereas previously the skin would have been too broken/scabbed etc for makeup to look natural).

This stuff is my new HG skin treatment! I would've never thought to try Neosporin as a spot treatment, especially when big brands like Proactiv are out there offering $20 sulfer masks and such. But it works, so I am definately a believer! My one bit of advice for everyone is to USE A BAND-AID :) Its really the magical second step to Neosporin/Antibacterial Ointment usage.

Furthermore, despite its slightly oily ointment consistency, this stuff has never broken me out. I know that some versions have mineral oil in them, and though it is not reported to cause breakouts, I would suggest oily/acne prone skin types avoiding that type of Antibacterial formula.

All in all, this is really a true 5-star (or lippie) product! Try it... what have you got to lose?

Popular Lotions / Creams