Maybelline INTENSE XXL mascara

Maybelline INTENSE XXL mascara
Enter Title

2.9

on 3/7/2011 2:37:00 PM

I've been through 3 or 4 tubes of this mascara so far. I like it. Leaves your lashes looking long and full. The only problem I have is that I can't find it as easily as I used to!

on 7/15/2010 10:45:00 AM

This is review is for the waterproof version of Intense. I did not care for this much at all. Horrible keeping curl & does not add volume or length for me. All it accomplished for me was spidery stubby lashes. The previous reviewers mentioned that it was difficult going over the white primer with the mascara & I would absolutely agree! One thing it did do was stay put though, waterproof version is indeed waterproof!

on 5/6/2010 6:12:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

ASIAN lash review - or those with small, sparse or downward-pointing lashes.

I'm quite impressed with how much curl-power is in this mascara for my defiant Asian eyelashes. I bought this in waterproof and was happy with the results when using with or without the white primer.

I'm usually pressed for time, so I ended up using mostly the black end, which worked fine. I think the primer might actually weigh down the lashes, if you're concerned about losing the curl.

PROS:
-Holds curl for Asian lashes (after using a curler) well
-Makes my lashes look fuller and longer
-Doesn't flake much
-Formula isn't too wet or too dry
-Brush is a nice size (not too big)
-Good for natural look if you use it sparingly. However, can create a very dramatic, almost false-eyelash look if you use the primer and swipe a coat or two on.

CONS:
-Quite hard to remove. I have to use Vaseline and Q-tip to scrub it out.
-Not very buildable. You'll get a clumpy spider-leg effect. For a more natural look, just apply one, light-handed coat.
-The black part is good enough, which means I get less product for my $$.
-Brush isn't small enough to get at corner lashes (common problem for Asians)

EDIT: I found a good use for the primer part since I only use the black on its own. I used the primer before applying the non-waterproof mascaras I own that make my lashes droop (Full 'n Soft, XXL Curl, Define-a-lash) and it really, really kept the curl, almost as much as though I had used the XXL Intense waterproof.

on 6/26/2009 5:07:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

this really irritated my eyes, it flaked off and got in my eyes, this is definitely not made for those with sensitive eyes. the concept is good the formula is bad, for me anyway.

on 3/23/2009 1:34:00 PM

THE BOTTOM LINE: Drying, clumpy, ineffective. Definitely *not* recommended.

THE PRODUCT: This "double-duty" mascara provides a basecoat (white) and a topcoat (black, although they may sell other shades as well, such as dark brown). The tube has a brush at either end, one for each product. First you apply the base, then several coats of the topcoat.

THE CLAIM: (taken from the packaging)
"Up to 60% longer lashes"
"11x the volume"
"intense black, no clumps"

THE REALITY: I really tried to give this mascara a chance, because some reviewers have had good experiences with it, but it was unpleasant from the start. It was thick, had tiny chunks that got stuck on my eyelashes, and had a very drying feel. The basecoat added very little length. I also found that it flaked onto my cheeks, and when I removed it at the end of the day with makeup remover, it smudged and smeared everywhere, leaving black marks all around my eyes. I used this product for at least a month, since I hate wasting money, but I was never able to get it to look good.

THE COMPETITION:
In the past, I've used L'Oreal Double Extend Mascara (Carbon Black), which is also a double-layer mascara with a basecoat and topcoat. I recommend it head and shoulders over this product. In fact, I just finally threw away the Intense XXL and bought another tube of Double Extend. The basecoat really lengthens my lashes. The topcoat goes on smoothly and does not feel drying. If you're searching for a duo mascara, I highly recommend Double Extend instead.

on 2/20/2009 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I read the reviews here and thought I'd give it a try. I tried it when it first came out and it smudged on me. I thought I would give it a try again, perhaps they changed the formulation. No. Smudged on me after 5 hours at work. I hate it when eyeliner or mascara smudges and gives me that raccoon look. So to prevent waste I just use the primer under my Max Factor Couture.

on 2/12/2009 6:38:00 PM

I personally Have not tried this but my boyfriends daughter loves it and her lashes look amazing lately, I asked her what she was using and she showed me this. The length was crazy her lashes looked fake.. the only problem I saw was a little of white showed through but that could of just been her she is only 15..

I have now used and tried this and LOVE It. the only thing I don't care for is the packaging, I don't think I'm getting enough mascara, but other than that it's awesome. Stays on forever, doesn't flake, great black color, it's amazing. I use one sweep of the primer, and then one sweep of the mascara, and I will continue to buy this product over and over. Great mascara for drugstore.

It sits in the bottom of my train case. It is not my wow type. I use base sometimes on my lower lashes, but I use my Rimmel Eye Magnifier or Rimmel Lycra next. This just feels so heavy, hard and droops later on.

on 12/7/2008 2:44:00 AM

This worked ok the first few times I used it but now not so much...It makes my lashes droop after a while and the dramatic look I started out with disappears..prob won't buy again

on 10/19/2008 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Yet another maybelline tragedy for me. I swear that if it wasn't because of that $2.00 coupon that came attached to this, I would bring this back for a return like yesterday.
First time I wear mascaras I'm always impressed. They all seem great. Of course it takes me into day 2 or 3 to actually see it in action and how it performs. I was sooo underwhelmed by this. There brush applicator is too short to actually get up under the lashes well enough. The primer is useless. And yes, it clumps. Not the thick kind of clumping that I'm actually not bothered by,but the one that somehow manages to glump a bunch of lashes together and make them look like they are malnourished and skinny as hell. Needless to say, I got ZERO volume with this.
Back to Loreal carbon black I go.