Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat

Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat

Butyl Acetate, Toluene, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Butoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Benzophenone-1.

on 8/12/2016 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Magic to my nails! I really enjoy this top coat. It coats my nails beautifully and makes my manicure look plump at the same time as it makes it quick and easy. My nails harden within 2 minutes and gives them a nice glossy wet finish. It also makes my nails feel really strong since the polish is not too watery but not goopy. It has the perfect consistency.
Not saying they grow stronger, but they grow longer which is always a plus in my book.
I do small dishes at work every day and this makes it hold up. No chipping whatsoever.

I like my manis too look gel-like and really plump. I first use a thick ridge filler and then use 3 coats of regular nail polish for this result. SV works like a charm topping that, but I always mind my nails for dents for another 30 min after applying this since its such thick layers. After that I'm good to go! This top coat also helps to even out small streaks which I appreciate a lot.

So on to the downsides about this polish:

This topcoat makes your polish peel in big pieces. After a week or so, some comes off in big peels. I don't find that it harm my nails in any way but thought I'd mention it.

It causes shrinkage, make sure you paint all the way to the edges with your regular polish. Make sure you top it on WET polish, otherwise you're just asking for even more shrinkage. I tried to add a top coat on my 1 week old mani to see what happened, and yes...more shrinkage.

The biggest NO on this product is the warning: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.
That's hell scary! So sad to see this. There are some things in life that can trigger birth defects, but if I can make a conscious choice, I really want to find something as good as SV without the warning. It's the ingredient toulene causing the warning and I'm pretty sure other nail polishes that contain toulene, just they don't put a warning label on them. Having said that. I think it's such small amount in nail polishes that it won't effect me personally. I'd be more worried if I was exposed to it daily in a working environment. Fair play to SV actually displaying this, helping you make it an informed own choice/decision, rather than hiding it.

It's worth the 7$ but the warning and shrinkage puts me off a bit even though it's a foolproof coat. My manis always look gorgeous shiny with it. People ask me if I do shellac. At the time I would never use any other top coat than this.

I also purchased Sally hansens Insta drops, the red bottle. Will update with a comparison once tried and really hope it will work as great as SV without the mentioned downfalls.)

Dries fast
Makes my mani last more than 1 week.
Super glossy
Easy to work with
Good brush
Penetrates several layers of polish

The Warning
Shrinkage (not the biggest deal. Can only be noticed if you look closely)
Strong unpleasant smell. Doesn't stay on your nails though.

(I expect goopyness over time, but will update on that)

Why do I bother with this junk? Yes, my nails dry incredibly quick, and they look amazing in the morning.. BUT within 1 day, they peel off! Seriously. What the heck? I just did my nails 3 days ago and half of the polish on every nail is gone. I've used a few bottles and I always think, what's the point of using this crap? I am done with this inferior product. I will keep my nails natural until I find something else better.

To Read all 1757 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This product stinks to high heaven, there's no getting around it. But because it works so beautifully, I put up with its odor.

Frankly, I like the way this makes my nails look better than I do with any other top coat. It's just as shiny looking as the gel top coats that are $5 a pop at the nail salon for a single treatment.

I definitely recommend this for people who enjoy having the professional "wet" shiny look on their nails.

With that being said, I don't think that Seche Vite makes your nail polish last longer at all. I have a feeling that has more to do with how oily the nail beds are to begin with, rather than with the quality of the top coat or the polish by itself.

I love how fast it dries but after reading reviews I finally realized why my nail polish never lasted. I always wondered why I couldn't go a full week with nail polish on, and it wasn't until I read that other girls had the same issue with this top coat. I guess this top coat makes your nail polish chip quickly and I am a victim of that!

A thin, shiny, fast-drying and durable top coat. With a decent base coat and traditional polish, I usually can get a full week of chip-free wear (I am hard on my nails). I can be cheap, but this is worth the (somewhat increased) price for me. I am glad I finally took the plunge!

on 5/27/2016 9:08:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This does dry quickly and has a fair amount of shine which I like but I find it peels and chips fairly quickly and I don't like it as much as Sally Hansen Insta Dri (red bottle). Scent is quite strong too. Would not repurchase.

on 5/21/2016 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Yes this top coat dried fast, but it smelt sooooo horrible and made my nail polish worse somehow. It peels off in huge pieces and my nail polish was practically gone after putting the laundry in the washing machine. This is the worst top coat I've ever used.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I have never, ever review a nail product, never thought there would be a need. They're fingernails. Paint, touch-up, wait forever to dry and repeat 3 days later.

I was in a waiting room a couple of days ago reading a year-old magazine. One of the features of the magazine was going through the contents of a star's purse. This feature was on Stevie Nicks and she proclaimed her love for Seche Vite. I kind of dismissed it, as again its just fingernails.

Last night I did my nails before bed and, as usual, even though I used a drying light, a drying spray and a quick-dry top coat, AND slept lying flat on my back without touching a thing, I still had ridges and marks on my nails when I woke up today. A couple of nails were so damaged that the polish was matte-looking in addition to ridges and marks.

During my weekly Wal-mart run I saw Seche Vite out of the corner of my eye as I went to get polish remover so I could do this nonsense all over again tonight. I was like "wait, I recognize that brand" so I investigated further. They only had the one option, the dry quick top coat. It was a few dollars more than I'd normally spend on a top coat, but if Stevie Nicks loves it I figured it was worth a try.

Holy cow! I'm never using another top coat. I'm about to go investigate and see what else this company makes because I'm going to need one of each. I put the top coat on just to see if it made any difference on my jacked-up nails, fully prepared to go back and get a $9 refund.

My nails look like I just had a professional manicure! The ridges and lines are hidden beneath this shiny, wet-liquidy-looking finish that dried hard in just a couple of minutes. I wish I had before and after photos to show you! I'm hooked!

Okay - yes, this top coat is great. It dries unbelievably fast and sets your nails in probably less than two minutes. I also paint my nails before bed a lot and this stopped those weird lines I sometimes woke up with from my bedding. BUT I am so fed up with how this stuff becomes gloopy and thick before you're even half way done the bottle. And yes, I have bought the Seche Restore and no, it doesn't help. I can add probably 10 drops of it and get the top coat to an almost usable state, but within a few days when I go to use the top coat again, it's back to being thick and unusable. Really, really frustrating. Going to look for something that actually lasts the bottle....

on 4/5/2016 7:12:00 AM

I am new to wearing nail polish/nail designs on a regular basis. Having a small child, I will say this product is awesome. It does what it says.Although, It does not work well with nail tape. We know it shrinks while drying, so it tends to run the nail polish over the tape. It works best without nail art. I have had some luck with self adhesive stickers but it will distort any stickers close to the ends due to shrinkage. It is important to wrap the free edge off your nail with polishnand also apply over WET polish!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials

My top 5 fave beauty items, right now - Seche Vite dry fast top coat by Denim Vixen

Product Wars - Episode 13 by fionaman