Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab Dorian

No Image

A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I absolutely love Dorian, it is delicious and amazing, and I wear it quite often. To my nose, when I wear it, I get the tea and the citrus and a hint of the vanilla, but other people tell me that it smells straight-up like yummy vanilla cookies (which isn't a compliment I ever complain about.) This oil strikes the perfect balance between fresh and comforting, and when I am at a loss for which perfume to wear, it is one that I reach for often.

on 12/28/2015 5:11:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I smell roses with pale musk and leaves. Very nice, but not getting much fougere. It dries down okay, but has a suggestion of kiddy cologne somehow, with some lily of the valley paleness to it. It's okay and well blended but not going to be a favorite for me.

on 10/19/2015 2:19:00 PM

Keep in mind my bottle of Dorian is from like, 12 years ago.

I had a phase where I spent hundreds of dollars on BPAL scents -- and mind you, these were college dollars, meaning they were much more precious and hard to come by than my current situation. What can I say, I had a Livejournal.

Anyway, even though I had an obsession, if I was to be totally honest with myself and all of you lovely anonymous people, Dorian is the only BPAL scent I ever *truly* loved. Sweet-ish scents don't generally play well with my skin chemistry (nor do I favor them), but Dorian smells like spicy vanilla cookies on me, at first very strongly and with throw, then mellows into a musky skin scent on me. Not in a ghost-of-its-original-incarnation way either, more like slept-in eyeliner that looks even sexier in the morning. I do get the tea, but it's difficult to pick it out cleanly; but it cuts and mellows the sweetness and adds depth and interest.

I only need a few dabs on pulse points and it lasts all day. I'm scared to ever need a new bottle -- unsure if I got a magic formula year, or it's just so good because it's aging? Perfect snuggly sexy Autumn scent.

While I think this could work very well for men looking for a musky tea scent, but it's not for me.

Posted April 23, 2005 on BPAL.org
"Category: Tea/Vanilla
Rating: 2/5; Lovely, but too much sweet
Overall: I might have liked this blend if there wasn't so much sweetness. The lightness of the tea and musks is very pleasant and this is the only vanilla blend that has actually smelled like vanilla to me without going plasticy. I think the super-sweetness ruined the blend for me. Oh well. "

on 8/13/2014 5:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Sweet vanilla aftershave. That's what i get.
Emphasis on the sweet. i don't understand the BPAL hype! Seriously

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Oh Dorian... I love antfarm's review of this! Like every other BPAL fragrance I have tried, this stinks. It doesn't matter that it doesn't smell like a hippie head shop, it still smells cheap and thoughtlessly thrown together. It's like a lemon cupcake and irish spring had a baby. Eck.. Another fail.

on 6/22/2010 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Why did I wait so long to try Dorian? It's fantastic, one of my favorites from BPAL. Musky, lemony, vanilla, sweet yet a bit masculine. Big bottle purchase for sure. A very sexy scent.

on 4/6/2010 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Smells of too-sweet lemon when it is still wet, but quickly transforms into a generic aerosol-like spray. It reminds me of the cheap toiletry kits they give you during long international flights.

on 3/17/2010 9:31:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

Perhaps because BPAL scents are hand-blended, each bottle comes out significantly different, but on my skin this smelled like someone rubbed Brut deodorant over a lemon cookie. I like the smell of those things separately, but together it doesn't make for a very good combination. It was cloyingly sweet juxtaposed against something extremely masculine. I was really hoping for tea, but there was none to be smelled. If I were the literary character Dorian Grey I would be offended by this rendering, and go look at my own self portrait.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Dorian is magical. Some detractors and critics of BPAL say that all of their scents smell like a hippie-filled, patchouli-burning head shop right in the heart of Haight-Ashbury in SF in the sixties. To those people, I say: DORIAN. Dorian is light, delicious, beautiful, and there isn't a BO, play-doh, or resin stink to be found anywhere. Along with Snake Oil, Dorian is one of BPAL's top oils for good reason. On me, it is mostly lemon-vanilla-cream-tea, which is a freaking awesome combination.Weirdly, I don't get a lot of musk (and I usually amp musks like whoa.) I don't get any one particular note that jumps out above all the others, they just harmonize together very nicely. The lemon/tea could have the tendency to become astringent, but I think the cream and vanilla balance it and keep it from being too masculine or medicinal. That said, I would definitely classify this scent as unisex, and if my DH wore any cologne/fragrance oil I would douse him in Dorian day in and day out. On my skin, it lasts reasonably well (about on par with my other perfume oils.) I love Dorian, and it is an absolute HG.

Popular Fragrances