Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser

Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser
No Title

3.6

Not tested on animals

2015 formula:Water (Aqua), Hydrogenated Polydecene (emollient thickener), Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (mild cleansing agent), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (antioxidant plant oil/emollient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (stabilizer), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (mild cleansing agent), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Beta-Glucan (soothing agent), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate (surfactant/emulsifier), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin (preservative).Old formula:Water, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (very mild cleansing agent), Hydrogenated Polydecene (emollient), Acrylates Copolymer (suspending agent and film former), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (plant oil/emollient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickener), Polysorbate-80 (emulsifier), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (lather agent), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (anti-irritant), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum) (emollient), Beta-Glucan (skin-conditioning agent), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate (thickener), Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol (slip agents), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent), Laureth-4 (surfactant), Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin (all preservatives), Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster).

on 4/26/2018 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm a product junkie, especially for cream cleansers, for which this is an excellent example. It doesn't foam, but still rinses easily. It removes light makeup, but you may want to use it twice if you're wearing heavy makeup. It's fragrance free and doesn't upset my sensitive skin. It doesn't break me out. I simply wet my face and massage this cleanser in. I rinse with tepid water. There is no residue left behind. It makes my skin feel clean but moist.

It's a little expensive, but you get tons of product, and Paula's Choice runs deals all the time. I just ordered a 16 ounce bottle for 20% off plus free shipping, which ended up costing me around $20.00 dollars. The normal price is $18.00 dollars for a 8 ounce bottle and $26.00 dollars for a 16 ounce bottle. For comparisons sake, I also use Elizabeth Arden's Ceramide Purifying Cleanser, which costs nearly $30.00 dollars for around 4 ounces. Ounce per ounce, Paula's choice costs less than some drugstore brands.

I haven't had a lot of luck with most of Paula's Choice skincare, but the Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser is a keeper. If you like cream cleansers, I'd give this one a try.

Pros - great for sensitive skin; gentle and moderately effective cleansing; along with other PC cleansers, one of the most reasonably priced PC products (you can get a shampoo bottle size for $25).

Cons - will not remove heavy makeup and most definitely will not remove waterproof mascara

I don't like cream cleansers, so I'm a bit biased. But if you do like cream cleansers, this is a good choice at a good price - especially if you have rosacea or sensitive skin.

on 2/24/2015 4:32:00 AM

This is a very gentle, unfragranced cleanser that has been great for my sensitive skin. It won't take off eye makeup (even non-waterproof) but it removes my foundation just fine. The quantity is generous and the packaging is well-designed (the top is flat so the bottle can easily be inverted when you get to the bottom).

on 1/25/2014 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My preferred method of makeup removal is with a cleansing lotion, I hate how oily most makeup removers are. This particular one is nice, but nothing really special. Maybe I'd like it better if I had dry skin, but as a makeup remover it works very well. But I *need* to follow it up with another cleanser, which makes me question how well it removes foundation (it's good for eye makeup). It doesn't break me out in itself, but if I don't follow it up with a deeper cleanser I will break out, so hmm. It also seems to leave a film until I use another cleanser. I'll definitely use it up (I'm almost done anyway) but once I do I'll be on the search for something better.

on 10/12/2013 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

**I found out I can't use Propylene Glycol, and possibly Butylene Glycol. It took a long time to figure out but that's the reason I can't use this product**

(I have a few sample sizes of this) I sort of want to give this like a 3.2. It's average in my opinion, but doesn't break me out or cause any issues. It is most definitely a morning cleanser, and a mediocre one at that. I wouldn't even try to take makeup off with this. That said, it does feel ok on the skin, but just not quite there for me. I use an OTC cheap creamy cleanser that feels more moisturizing AND more refreshing/cleansing to me. (Keep in mind things like Cerave break me out big time, so for this to not do that is really a plus). I think some people with severely sensitive or dry skin could find use with this, as long as they don't have any allergies or reactions with the ingredients, but for me I think I will pass on purchasing this one.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is a decent cleanser which removes my makeup without drying my skin and there is no annoying fragrance.
It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes which is a big plus as well.
The amount of product is fairly generous too.

I don't think I'd re-purchase this as I have to order it online and wait about a week before it arrives (the convenience factor) and I think there are cleansers that work as well for the same price or less at the drugstore.

Still, Paula's Choice has some great skin care products, especially if you're battling acne or clogged pores.

on 7/22/2013 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I would think of this version as PC's equivalent of Cetaphil or CeraVe, not lather or foaming type. Probably would be fine just in the mornings for a gentle, but I prefer PC's more lathery versions. The reason why I wouldn't invest more in it is b/c of the mineral oil, which is an ingredient I haven't had too much luck w/ for oil cleansing.

on 2/14/2013 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

OMG this cleanser is so bad.

I have been using this for a few days, it was a little drying at first so I decided to only use before bed. I noticed my skin started getting a little flaky but not a huge deal... but soon enough my skin was really irritated. My face turned red after use and it felt like i had a bad sunburn. My lips are still burning from using it last night. How is this possibly made for people with dry skin???

Thanks for the free chemical peel but I'd like my money back please.... and my skin.

RETURNED!

on 11/24/2012 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

After trying a lot of PC products and not seeing much results in a lot of them I was about to give up hope. Thankfully I did not :) Recently I orded this cleanser since I was looking for a good cleanser for dry skin. I have dry acne prone skin, which is also quite flaky. So I was looking for something which wouldnt cause break outs and hopefully help a bit with the flakyness. Im so happy with this :) Its a very milky like texture and removes make-up very well. Its also very soft and gentle and I havent noticed any break outs since I used this. I've been using this for 2 weeks together with some samples I got from the resist toner and the AHA 8% exfolliant (BHA, only causes more break outs for me) and my skin has totally cleared up. Its no longer flaky and my break outs are now up to a minimum. I really recommend this cleanser for everybody with dry (acneprone) skin. The only thing I dislike is the smell, it smells really bad. The cleanser doesnt contain any perfume, so I have no idea what it is, but It aint nice. However who cares if it works this great anyway :P

on 9/12/2012 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have faithfully used this cleanser for 6-7 years. But I didn't used to be so consistent about washing my face, until this past year or so.
I have acne-prone skin, but I had a very dry t-zone for years, so I always considered my skin type as dry. It turns out, that I had seborrheic dermatitis, not dry skin.
This cleanser is just so mild a gentle, that it didn't irritate acne or clog pores. I've always just wanted a cleanser to just gently clean my skin and do nothing else. The texture is creamy, and it does rinse off, but it can take lots of rinsing. It leaves the skin feeling clean and lightly moisturized. I suppose some people might interpret that as a "film", but I abhor squeaky clean skin that screams for moisturizer, so I don't mind. It has nice slip and glides over the skin when used with the Clarisonic Mia. It does not foam, so please don't expect that from this wash.
I have been using Retin-A for the past 6 months, and in the summer, I decided to switch to Moisture Boost. Big mistake! It's not nearly as gentle and moisturizing.
I wear very light face make up, and I usually precleanse with avocado oil to break down my sunscreen.
Price is reasonable! I love to shop and I'm always looking at beauty products. Paula's Choice items are absolutely a value for the amount of product for price.
Since Paula's Choice had a sale, I purchased a bottle of the Resist Cleanser and I am currently using that one. I still have a bottle of Skin Recovery in the shower and use it. I like the Resist so far and will probably repurchase it, but I'll also continue to repurchase the SR cleanser because it's a good, basic and gentle face wash.