Cover Girl Professional Loose Powder

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Cover Girl Professional Loose Powder
No Title

3.6

My only long-time powder. It's been pissing me off recently though. With very oily skin, it goes on great but after awhile of wear, I'm having to take my powder brush and blotting it in the oily patches. It goes on best with bare or just having used primer. Liquid foundation and this product don't mix well, I find. It's not the product's formula, but how uncontrollable the amount you get on your brush is. Terrible packaging. The lid pulls off easily, I've spilled it a million times. And it gets everywhere. The smell is so strong, I find even after washing my powder brush thoroughly, I can still catch a whiff of the powder on it. After weighing the pros and cons, I really don't know why I keep using it.

on 8/22/2015 11:31:00 PM

This powder is interesting. Unlike other powders I've used, this one goes on the skin and changes the color of your skin to a beautiful youthful glow I don't even know how to explain it. The smell is a little strong, but after you've applied it you can't smell it anymore. I've stopped using it only for now since I'm very dark this summer, so I use this to set my under eye concealer. Love this.

on 8/22/2015 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I actually used to own this powder years ago, but I decided to buy it again at Ulta during a BOGO50% sale a few months ago, because I needed a cheap loose powder to use for "baking" under the eyes. Just as I remember from when I bought it the first time around, it has that signature Noxzema scent of Cover Girl products, and a plastic sifter that seems a bit flimsy. It also comes with a powder puff, which I immediately took out because I will never use it. Instead, I apply this powder with a foam wedge sponge for use under the eyes, and a powder brush for the rest of the face.

When used for baking concealer under the eyes, this powder works quite nicely. It sets my Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser concealer to a flawless finish. The shade Translucent Fair looks good whether I am pale or tan. It has yellow undertones, whereas Translucent Light looks more pink/peach. While I generally prefer the convenience of a pressed powder, I'd buy this again even if I were to use it only under the eyes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this powder because I wanted to replace my heavier powders with something lighter to finish up my fo9undation routine. Safe to say that at Target this was only 6.99 CAD, so I thought why not? Well, I bought the lightest color, translucent fair, which was still 2 shades too dark for my NC15 skin. I put it on and it did not really set anything, or cover anything. I still had waxy spots on my face and it also splotched orange on my cheeks. Not only that but the scent is AWFUL. It smells like cold cream, and lasts a god five minutes before you get used to it. Even with all these reasons, the real reason I hated this product was because it broke me out within an hour of application. 7 new spots, that's a new record! I gave it to my sis to try, she's 14 and perhaps her skin will react better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Smells fantastic! If you like smelling like a mixture of old people's soap and dead flowers.

Okay honestly the smell isn't the best, but I don't really care about that. For some reason, CG still thinks its an A+ marketing strategy to give all of their powders the same horrible scent. I have no idea why this is, but the scent department is really lacking in basically all of their products. (Don't get me started on the lippes. For the love of pete no one wants lips that smell like plastic and cheap perfume.)

The powder is really very good. It isn't cakey, and it leaves your skin feeling quite smooth. I have the shade translucent fair. It has some color which is what I always look for, since it really helps lighten my foundation if it is a tad too dark. The smell seems to be overpowering for some, but I don't mind it honestly. It doesn't linger, which is all I care about. It extends the wear of my foundations, which is really I wanted out of it. Some of my foundations just will not last if they are set with a pressed powder, they require a loose one. This does the job, and it's only like $6 or $7.

The packaging is awful. Luckily, I had an ELF HD powder that was almost finished, so I put this powder into that container.

If you don't mind the smell, and you can deal with the packaging, this is a very good loose powder. You can almost always find it on sale for a couple dollars cheaper, too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

For the price, I will keep purchasing this powder! It is translucent so it doesnt add or take away my foundation colour. It feels light and goes on matte. One thing I dont like about this powder is that the smell is horrible. Lastly, the staying power is ok, but my skin is oily so i dont blame it :)

on 3/6/2014 5:34:00 PM

I've been using loose powder for over 17 years. I really didn't like this one. Yet somehow I used the whole thing. I only realized how poor it was when I started using something new. This powder did not last. Within two hours of application I was shiny. I thought it was just the nature of my combination skin. I now use Revlon photoready and my shine stays away for hours.

on 9/30/2013 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Typically with trans loose powders I like to really pat a lot into my skin because I need the extra oil absorption. I can't do that with this powder; it's true to being translucent but will impart some color, possibly changing the color of your foundation. (I'm wondering if maybe I just got the wrong color, even though the online guide told me which on to pick.) I do like how light and airy it feels, though.

I bought Translucent Medium and I find it comes off a little too pinky on my olive skin. Yet on the back of my hand, it looks quite yellowish. Therefore, I typically use this very lightly as a finishing powder, and in this way I cannot say what it does for oil absorption. (I will experiment more with this and post my findings another time...)

I don't mind the packaging and think it's pretty. I've also never broken the lid (I must be lucky) and use it as a dispensing dish with each use. (It would be nice if it was a screwtop lid.) This powder does contain glittery particles in it, but they don't really show up in an annoyingly hideous way. It looks nice.

Overall, I think this is a nice translucent colored powder that, at the very least, will work great as a finishing powder, or shine reducer on glorious bare skin. It's relatively cheap and worth the try, anyway.

UPDATE.1: I upped my rating for this. I did buy this in the lightest (Trans Fair) color and it works great with my faded tan winter skin. Don't use this for extra coverage but sets my foundation wonderfully. I love this drugstore powder.

Update.2: i've used this in mostly the lighter colors and the sparkle never is obvious on my med-to-dark skin. But i recently bought Trans Honey and the sparkle seems a bit stronger. Its quite lovely if you blend enough, and could easily use it for a summer-like bronzer. I guess because its translucent it still works well, but the sparkle might definitely bother some in the darker colors. I dont mind it though, but wear it on cheeks and forehead for dimension.
I'm still a fan of this pwdr, and often wear it with just a little concealer these days,even though i still have problem skin. It almost looks like a sheer foundation on me after a few hours.

on 2/9/2013 8:57:00 AM

this is the best and only powder I will ever use. I've used from high end to drug store and always come back to this! it smells like grandma make up but I love it! it works great on my oily/acne prone skin. holds everything in place and isn't shimmery.

on 12/30/2012 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Great powder, cheap so I use it tons. Lasts forever. Never noticed any "sparkle" to it like others say. Doesn't break me out. Packaging isn't great, always spills. . One of m fav products though !