Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

4.8

on 1/28/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: carnation, peach, neroli, bergamot, rose and Brazilian rosewood
Middle notes:rosemary, carnation, gardenia, violet, orchid, cloves, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose
Base notes: spices, iris, amber, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, oak moss, vetiver and cedar
I disliked this fragrance for so long, despite wanting to like it, and repeatedly testing it, I thought it smelled shrill and headachy and then I tried the vintage.
Let me just say, that whatever yellow water they are churning out these days is not the same L'Air du Temps, the original fragrance by Nina Ricci.
What L'Air du Temps should be is a thick, rich peppery carnation scent with
a healthy dose of gardenia, and not really all that "airy" despite the name.
I also find the Lalique dove/ splash Parfum bottle a little "much", clumsy and awkward to open.
What I did come across online (and am very pleased with,) is a vintage Parfum spray tester.

that provides a big spray of the classic vintage scent without all the packaging. That
has been my experince with L'Air, If you can wrestle the original fragrance from all the subsequent branding and reformulations, it is sheer deliciousness.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

It's unfortunate that the current obsession with all things new and "young" has caused a generation of women to turn their backs on some of the greatest fragrances of all time. Fragrance expert Tania Sanchez's recent pan of this classic notwithstanding, L'Air du Temps fits in this category. It is a light, easy to wear floral that's been a hit since it was introduced in 1948. Top notes; carnation, gardenia, middle notes; Rosa Centifolia, jasmine, base notes; iris, sandalwood. LdT is also one of the few fragrances that is still made almost entirely of natural ingredients. Luca Turin says it's been reformulated. The folks at Nina Ricci deny this. French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi-Aventis bought a 30% stake in Parfums Nina Ricci in the late 80's, about the time of the alleged reformulation...hmmmm. No matter, TMN, LdT is still every bit as enchanting as it was when I first smelled it in the 60's, and many long time wearers swear that it still smells the same. Try to sample the pure perfume. It's much softer and more subtle than the EDT. On another note, who are all of these husbands and boyfriends who dislike fragrances because they supposedly smell of "old lady?" In all my years of marriage, my husband has NEVER dismissed a perfume for smelling "old." He either likes it or he doesn't! Nor did I have any old lady smelling complaints from any boyfriend I had prior to my marriage. My fellow MUAers, do we really think that a 20 year old wearing LdT is going to be perceived as smelling OLD? Conversely, do we believe that an 80 year old will smell younger simply by wearing D & G Light Blue? What about context? What about grooming, manners, clothing, your speaking voice, your smile, your complexion, your hair, your posture?? Sophia Loren would still be sexy today whether she was wearing LdT or some chocolatey bubble gum "body spray." The Olsen twins would be, well... I won't go there. Contrary to what advertisers would have us believe, it's the woman who makes the fragrance, not the other way around. And, IMO, there's little room for ageism in the world of perfume.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I love L'air du Temps. It's an interesting fragrance to me - although it has a pretty complex composition, the resulting scent is holistic, and transcends individual notes to become a complete thing in itself, a thing that resists being broken down into descriptions of componant parts. Sounds strange, but that's what I think. So I can't think of individual notes with this one - when I smell it I think of the overall effect: airy, golden, elegant, shimmery, romantic. It deserves its classic status. L'air du Temps has a soft innocence to it too, it's romantic rather than sexy - some modern perfumes are sort of the smell equivalent of leaping on someone and tearing their underwear off, but L'air du temps is more like the moment that you spend looking into someones eyes before you kiss them for the first time. And the dove bottle is perhaps one of the most beautiful ever, literally a work of art. So why haven't I given it full marks? Because I fear it's a bit too restrained for me, lol... I'm a red lipstick, black eyeliner kind of girl, and dammit, I LIKE tearing underwear off!

on 2/9/2004 2:17:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Like a creamy, delicately-scented floral soap with a hint of spice. Soft & feminine. Similar to Wind Song Cologne but much more refined