MAC Matte - Kinda Sexy

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
MAC Matte - Kinda Sexy

3.9

on 5/28/2018 8:44:00 PM

Oh, MAC. During the mid to late 2000s, they were like the most coveted brand for us baby make-up junkies. I'd scrape and save for months just to get my hands on their stuff - this was one of the first things I bought after having it on my wishlist for the longest time. Sadly a lot of their other stuff wasn't as amazing as I'd hoped, but this really was. Good matte lipsticks were difficult to find back in the day, and even mediocre ones in the drugstore were few and far between because everyone wanted glossy lips, which I really didn't suit. I loved this so much that for some time, it was the only lipstick I wore.

I am quite fair, around NW10, neutral-cool undertones. It's too dark on me to be a true nude lip color, but it is perfect as a "my lips but better" kind of shade. It is a dusky coral rose colour with wonderful payoff, goes on creamy and opaque and the colour of the bullet is the colour it appears on your lips. It's not as moisturising as the other formulas like satin and amplified cream, but isn't uncomfortable or too drying, either. It doesn't have the same sort of staying power that some matte liquid lipsticks have when eating and drinking, but it's no trouble at all to reapply, it has a thick velvety cream kind of texture and doesn't bleed or smudge so a quick swipe after eating is all you need. I also don't need to use lip liner to keep it in place, even on hot summer days when I'm even more of an oil slick than usual.

Not using a lip liner and sticking to my own natural lip line is perfect for that natural MLBB look, using a lip liner just slightly above the natural line on the cupid's bow gives a more dramatic look for the evening. I bought this for the first time in my teens and still love it now, must be one of the few items where I managed to bring back the six empty MAC cases for a free gift LOL

I'm not keen on the perfumed vanilla-y scent in this but thankfully it's not really detectable once you're wearing it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

One of my favourite lipsticks ever from MAC. Definitely worthy of a top 5 spot. Non drying, soft, yet lasts a good amount of time of my lips, with or without liner. Love this shade so much, saw it on someone online and had it on my wishlist within minutes. The colour is beautiful.

on 3/8/2018 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This lipstick is amazing! On my NC25-30 complexion, Kinda Sexy borders on a nude but not quite. It's the perfect soft vintage peach that I imagine would suit a lot of skin tones. The colour really brightens up my face, especially when I'm feeling dull and sallow - it's the perfect pick-me-up. Sometimes I want Kinda Sexy to be a true peachy nude, so to make it lighter I add on a bit of Fleshpot, blend with my finger, and I'm good to go.

This is the first Matte lipstick I've tried from MAC so I can't comment on how this particular shade fares in comparison to others of the same finish. What I do know is that it's incredibly long-lasting - of course, all lipsticks that aren't stains or matte liquid lipsticks have to be reapplied after a meal, but this holds up fine through light refreshments.

Does leave that annoying white residue at the innermost part of your lips, but I don't think that's a problem specific to this lipstick. It's also easy for this lippy to look caked on or as if it's settled into the lines of your lips, but what I do to remedy this is blend the lipstick in with my finger all over after a light application from the bullet, whether or not I've mixed it with another colour, making sure to blend the edges/liplines, too. This just makes everything look a little less harsh. Application is best this way - you can intensify the pigment layer by thin layer rather than packing on the colour all at once.

I wear Kinda Sexy pretty much every day. Love it and hope it's never discontinued.

on 1/21/2018 4:34:00 PM

One of my favorite pinky nude MAC lipsticks.. I'm NW25, very neutral, lite brown/reddish hair, brn eyes, and this is very flattering. I didn't think it would look great on me, I do prefer mauve shades in mid tone to darker colors, but stick to peachy nudes when I wear a lighter color..so this was a chance that paid off, and isn't too pink on me. I'm not big on matte lippies, but this one is comfortable enough..MAC and UD make the best non drug store lipsticks in my opinion, and I have tons of each, and will keep purchasing! Definitely recommend.

on 12/21/2017 6:49:00 PM

Kinda Sexy is one of my favourite nude MAC lipsticks. It is one I wear to work often as it adds some colour to my face and warms up my complexion while making me look put together but not over-done. Kinda Sexy is a peachy-coral nude shade, which looks particularly fantastic against many different complexions. It looks particularly nice when I have a strong suntan (bringing me from NC15 to NW20 complexion). It has a matte finish which is comfortable to wear. I don’t find it drying but it does not provide any hydration at all. It doesn’t bleed or sink into lip lines. It applies easily without needing to tug the lips. It has excellent staying power and lasts through eating and drinking - I have worn this through many 10 hours shifts! It is a reliable and nude that every neutral-warm toned person should have in their lipstick wardrobe! Definitely one of my top MAC picks!

on 10/2/2017 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I adore this color, pretty close to my natural lips, which makes it my ideal nude. I have light brown/amber eyes and medium skin tone. It feels light on the lips, the color lasts a long time for a non liquid lipstick, def a rebuy for me

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

First of all, I absolutely love this shade. It's my perfect MLBB-ish nude. That is, when it's NOT on the verge of melting. I live in a humid country in Asia and we have terribly hot and sweaty summers. This lipstick could not hold it up last summer. I tried putting it in the fridge for 10, 20 minutes like I read online, and the lipstick was restored for a couple of days I guess, and then it started melting again. And it really wouldn't have been much of an issue for me if that was the only problem. When it's in that "sweating/melting" situation, it changes color! It's almost an orangey neon pink (which is NOT flattering on me), when it's normally a peachy browney pink on me. Now that we're in the colder months it's back to being its normal shade, but I know I wouldn't purchase another MAC lipstick because of this. 75% of the year is "summer" in my country.

on 9/11/2016 6:17:00 PM

First off, the color...this is it! I have finally found my perfect nude lippie. I'm someone who can't normally pull off nudes without looking washed out, this one is not too pale, not too beige/brown, not too peachy, and has a subtle pinkness to it that makes it flattering instead of washing me out. My sister is nc30 and on her it looks great paired with smoky eyes. I'm just completely smitten by this color. Love it, love, love, love. This lipstick pairs great with 'Peachykeen' blush for a fresh and subtle, everyday look. I also tried Velvet Teddy at the same time, it was okay, but the shade is too close to my natural lip and leans is abit more brown, while Kinda Sexy leans abit more peach.

Now the bad: I hate the feeling of this on my lips! It felt okay the first hour, but it was when I touched up with a second coat that I began to feel uncomfortable. It felt thick, heavy and dry on. I'm really quite appalled as I have much cheaper lipsticks that feel more comfortable on my lips and are just as matte, plus last almost as long.
I already purchased it, so I'm going to find a way to make this work. Again, I adore this color! I do wish it came in satin finish. Not repurchasing, and once I find a dupe, I'm going to downgrade my rating to 2 lippies.
So far, I'm not fan-girling over MAC. I love their blushes, own a few, and I love the colors their lipsticks come in, but I'm not impressed with the lipstick formulas themselves, especially matte ones (I am open to trying their frosts and creme finishes though). I'm not a fan of their foundations either. I think the products are overpriced considering the very average quality.

on 5/11/2015 9:12:00 AM

This one took me a few tries to figure out, but I put in the work because the finished result, combined with a bronzy everything else, is the perfect '60s beach bunny look. I haven't been able to find a dupe of this color that I like.

Kinda Sexy is a light peachy nude, with a tiny hint of pink. It's lighter than my natural lips and it's a MAC Matte, meaning it's opaque and can be kind of difficult to work with. The lighter shades IMO can be slightly patchy and unforgiving of minor flaws on the lips. You need to prep your lips before applying, and a liner reallllly helps even everything out. It's hard to find a liner that really matches this too, I have yet to complete this quest. Application is fine, the MAC Mattes have a tendency to not drag on me and apply almost chalky-creamy, if that makes sense. I find this does NOT work with MAC Prep + Prime Lip underneath (that trial was a hot mess), but Nuxe lip balm provides a perfect base because it dries matte.

FYI I have chronically dry, naturally wrinkly lips...this makes them sound gross lol, they're not I promise. It's just that mattes have a tendency to settle into my lip lines, but this is such a gorgeous, flattering shade on my olive complexion that I don't even care. Kinda Sexy INDEED.

Wear is okay. It's not the longest lasting lippie on me, and can look weird if I don't check in on it. Again...I *really* wish this was in the MAC Satin formula, my favorite lipstick formula of all time. That would totally make my life.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

I have naturally tan skin and this was a non flattering nude. It also looked very dry. I might have as well put foundation on my lips.