MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick - Russian Red

MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick - Russian Red

4.6

on 2/10/2019 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the colour very much. The colour (described as bluish red) complements my skin tone and makes my teeth appear whiter - i am east asian with rather fair skin with neutral undertone. The colour stays on for a very long time - need to use makeup remover to remove all traces of it on my lips. The reason why i gave it a 4-star is its texture - it is not hydrating at all and i need to apply a lip balm before applying it. i tried searching for a similar colour / dupe from another brand but no luck! i tried other mac cult favourites as well - ruby woo, chili, lady danger, this one works best for me - not too orangey, not too in-your-face bright, not too dark.

Great gorgeous red color. If you love Mac lipsticks this is a staple for most skin tones. Heard about it on Spotlighthair.com and so glad it was recommended!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Oh, Russian Red, where do we begin?
Russian Red is a cult classic among MAC's endless array of lipsticks and it's not hard to imagine why. I would describe the color of Russian Red as being a cooler tone, medium-to-dark, rich red shade. I'll be totally honest- I didn't think I would like this color. MAC's Ruby Woo is my ultimate go-to and by comparison, since Russian Red is a bit darker, I assumed that it would be more subdued, if not dull. Boy, was I wrong! Russian Red actually has a depth that many reds lack. Though it is slightly darker than my beloved Ruby Woo, there isn't any discernable brown in the formula which seems kind of hard to find in reds of a more "brick" variety. It's exactly the color that I had wished NARS Cruella would have been, for instance. There's a reason why it's so popular and that boils down to the fact that Russian Red is a very versatile color that I can see being flattering on a multitude of skin tones.
On the downside, Russian Red is NOT the most low maintenance red I've ever encountered - this is coming from someone who is loyal to classic lipstick formulations and only wears red. I know that a lot of people love them and laud them for their longevity, but I'm not a fan of liquid lipsticks, so I'm not making any unfair comparisons here. Although Russian Red is a matte formula, I don't personally find it matte enough. I usually have to blot it down significantly to get rid of the extremely mobile cream texture that it imparts on the lips. Others will find that the softer, more creamy finish of Russian Red will make it more comfortable for them to wear in terms of not drying their lips out. However, I feel like this lipstick is exceptionally prone to bleeding. I could not eat or drink anything the entire time this lipstick is on me and it would still bleed. I find that it particularly wears and bleeds in the outer corners of my lips which is something that I personally can't stand. Would I purchase Russian Red again? Maybe. The color is fantastic but the wear is a little too high maintenance for me.

My first MAC lipstick. I noticed that I don't have a good red lipstick at home. Once picked up a red lipstick by Maybelline but I didn't like it that much. Went to MAC, swatched this on the back of my hand and since then I'm in love with MAC lipsticks. Purchased this, applied this at home. And I couldn't let go of this lipstick til today. Purchased a backup. Formula is good for a matte lipstick, color makes my teeth look whiter and brightens my complexion. But it's best if I wear it with a "flawless" face (foundation, concealer, some blush, mascara and eyeliner). Otherwise it'll not look complete.

on 11/1/2018 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros:
Pigmented, great color
Universally flattering red
Great consistency

Cons:
Not many. I suppose it gets on my teeth if I'm not careful, doesn't last as long as a liquid lipstick

Overall:
5* - what a classic red that wears very well

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I own quite a few different red lipsticks, drugstore and high end. I wear matte red lipstick almost everyday, red is my "nuetral" and MAC Russian Red is the one I feel is most flattering, easiest to wear and on top of that, I get complimented on it the most.
I am pale with red hair and blue eyes, but I think this color and formulation would work on almost anyone! I usually apply a clear balm, then sometimes use MAC Cherry lipliner, then Russian Red. Sometimes I apply it with a lipbrush if I want a more sheer application. I own MAC Ruby Woo as well, but I much prefer Russian Red, theres something too 'bright' about Ruby Woo that makes it look out of place on me, where as Russian Red looks very vintage and deep, but not too dark, not too bright. It looks perfect and it is my HG lipstick.

on 9/12/2018 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Such a popular color. This was a gift item and too orange-red for my complexion where blue reds work better. Not for me.

on 1/16/2018 7:39:00 PM

LOVE IT! Perfect red -- just the right amount of brightness, not too orange, or coral, a true red. The finish is matte, but it's not drying. Easy to apply, doesn't feather, wears long. It has just a tad of a cool undertone, that makes your teeth look whiter without the colour leaning towards ruby.. I truly believe it will work with any skin tone. A++

on 11/8/2017 5:43:00 PM

Non drying blue red that is very flattery. Nc20nw20 fair asian skin. Its the red i like on my skin if youre looking for a bluetone red this is def one to try out. I use this with cherry mac lipliner. Great staple red to have. Downside is that this can be drying but it has great lasting power. I wouldnt repurchase because i want to try ruby woo even tho i heard its very drying. This one is still a fav red

on 10/31/2017 4:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is an excellent product. It has that classic, old-Hollywood red lip look. I think it goes beautifully with warm undertones.

PRO's:
- long lasting
- intense colour
- does not bleed
- matte look (if you're looking for that)

CON's:
- a little pricey (roughly $17 US)

TIPS: ensure that your lips are hydrated as this can be drying.