3.9

package quality

price range

Reviews

a year ago

I like this product a lot, it has some kick to it and effectively exfoliates my sensitive-yet-tough, hyperreactive skin without causing outbreaks and with minimal stinging. I use it about once a week, purchased from Whole Foods for a reasonable $40ish dollars, it’s lasted me a few months and I’d say it’s as effective as the Drunk Elephant Babyfacial for a better price. The only ding on it is the packaging, which is just a screw-top jar that you have to dip your fingers into and also exposes the product to oxygen. Make it a pump and I’d say it was the perfect product for me.

About reviewer (11 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Other

HairBrown

3 years ago

I first used this product when I got it in a birchbox subscription one month. I love this stuff. I have sensitive skin that reacts to many products. I do fine with the sensitive skin peel product and use it 2X a week. The instructions say to avoid eye and lip areas. But, I much prefer an enzymatic exfoliator for my lips as opposed to a mechanical (sugar) scrub that are more aggressive and can leave tiny scars over time. So, I use this on my lips, but only 1X a week and I only let it sit for 3 mins, no longer. It does sting some and it makes my lips red at first, but that calms down and my lips are left feeling soft and supple. Also, I have been researching treatments for milia (I have them beneath my eyes), and started using this on my undereye area as well. Again, I only leave it on for 3 mins. It also does sting, but I am finding the milia are slowly decreasing and my undereye area is not as crepey as it once was. But, I am by no means recommending this to anyone. It's just what I do and what works for me. I also keep it on longer than the directions state, up to 15 mins. When I do this, I see an immediate difference in my skin tone - it is more even, lighter, brighter, and my acne scars are diminished. Using this weekly over time has made a huge difference in my skin and I highly recommend it especially over more aggressive exfoliators for just everyday needs. I know stronger acids will provide much deeper and more noticeable improvements. But, if you just want a basic exfoliator, this is a great one. Ingredients: Organic juices of pyrus malus (organic apple juice)*, citrus medica limonum (organic lemon juice)*, aloe barbadensis (organic aloe juice)*, glycolic acid, vegetable glycerin, hydroxypropyl starch phosphate, sodium hydroxide, caprylhydroxamic acid, xanthan gum, caprylyl glycol, vitis vinifera (grape seed extract), tocopherol (Vitamin E), retinyl palmitate (Vitamin A), ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), tetrasodium glutamate diacetate, magnesium aspartate, zinc gluconate, copper gluconate, citric acid.

About reviewer (103 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

3.0

4 years ago

First off, I got a squeeze-tube sample size of this through a subscription beauty box. I was hesitant to try this at first because my skin is very sensitive and can react badly to certain products - that said, I've been on the hunt for a good chemical peel as lately I've accumulated a lot of acne scarring, blackhead and white heads. I followed the directions as stated - generous layer for 10 minutes & rinse off. I did this after I cleansed my face in the shower. Upon application, your skin will tingle and tighten but that sensation goes away after a minute (or two). After that, the serum will dry up into a thin layer. The slight burn & tingle was fine - it was not uncomfortable, but you can definitely feel it on your skin. Post-rinse, I noticed that my face looked brighter but that there was no noticeable difference in the size of my blackheads or that my acne scars had lightened. Perhaps I need to use it a couple of times before I see a difference, but for the price you're paying you'd want something that would at least generate something after one use. However, I do notice that some light shedding of my skin / dryness the next morning so perhaps this is good for getting rid of any dead skin. Also, because some of my skin has shed, I think it will make extraction of any white heads easier. That being said, that's not the purpose of this product haha. It is definitely a at-home/spa-grade peel. While the product came in a squeeze-tube, I think a jar is unhygienic. The price is also pricey for what little it accomplishes. I won't be purchasing a full-size of this any time soon, but I will continue using what I have left and hopefully I can see a difference in my complexion.

About reviewer (136 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

4 years ago

I think this is a nice, gentle little peel. I'm not looking for my skin to need alot of repair time so this one works for me. The smell is a little strange, but it is not offensive. This has definitely helped to make the pores on my nose less visible. They are still there by all means, but gradually getting better. Quick and easy. Will definitely repurchase.

About reviewer (158 reviews)

SkinCombination, Tan, Not Sure

HairOther, Curly, Fine

1.0

5 years ago

I received a sample size of this in a recent Birchbox and I am not impressed. Perhaps I had a batch that was sub-par, or just expired (even though the tube was sealed) as the product was excessively runny and had a strange smell. Other reviews have noted that this had a fake green apple scent, but all I could smell was something slightly moldy. I applied this anyway and was underwhelmed. For reference I have dry skin on my cheeks and oily nose and chin. I have dark spots on my cheeks and forehead. This peel is supposed to help with dark spots and wrinkles, and I suppose it you use it long enough then you might see a difference because of the exfoliation. But all this did was dry out my skin and cause it to flake and become very tight. I will not be purchasing a full size of this, I think this is a little too harsh for my skin despite it being specifically for sensitive skin.

About reviewer (1232 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

EyesBlue

5 years ago

This is advertised as pregnancy safe (though yes, your doc will be more reliable than some random internet blurb). I thought it might be a bit wimpy as a result, but nope, it definitely gets a reaction from my skin. The tingle was definitely noticeable, and the glow after subtle. I use this about once a week and it's kept me clear. Any more than that is too much and usually results in a smattering of whiteheads. I like that the smell is really apple and not a lab create version of the scent. Texture is a bizarre apple sauce-jello-souffle type of deal. No pump (probably wouldn't work due to the viscosity) so just scoop out with a fresh popsicle stick, measuring spoon, or really clean hands. Nice to be able to give the retinol a rest but still not look like crap until baby arrives.

About reviewer (108 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

EyesBlack

6 years ago

I am on my 5th jar. I use it once a week after another masque from Shima skin are. In the AM my skin has that healthy glow. It doesn't always tingle, I leave it on for 10-15 mins. It's a perfect addition to my skin care regimen.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium

HairBrunette

2.0

6 years ago

This review is for the regular (not sensitive) version. At first glance, this product seemed just about perfect for me: all-natural ingredients and multiple fruit acids. Unfortunately, after using it at least 25 times, I cannot say there have been any cosmetic benefits. It definitely does turn your face red and create a warming/irritating sensation, so you know it's doing *something*. Perhaps this is the citric acid? I am not sure. Regardless, none of the benefits you would come to expect from even a glycolic solution (smoother skin, for example) seem to be happening, and I have used this product 4-5x/week for more than a month. I think they need to reformulate, reduce the amount of citric acid (or maybe get rid of it completely?), and increase the amount of the other acids (glycolic/salicylic/tartaric/malic). On a separate note, I emailed the company a week ago about their product's ingredients, got a form response confirming receipt, and then no email after that, which I didn't really like. I think there is a lot of potential/promise here, but they are letting it go to waste.

About reviewer (50 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

3.0

6 years ago

What can I say about this product? (Green Apple Full Strength) Ehhhhhhhhhhh. It's not bad, but it's not great either. (for me) My skin can handle a lot so I wasn't worried when I read about the users experiencing redness. I really liked the idea that it was organic and was hoping for some great results, but overall I felt the product was a little weak. It barely stung for 2 min and then went away. I should probably mention here, I am cystic acne prone which is the worstttt lol. I did notice it helped my surface acne to an extent. Skin does feel soft afterwards which is nice but overall, i did not notice much improvement complexion wise, however, that's probably due to the fact i keep breaking out!! lol dare I say, #CysticAcneProblems :(

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Olive, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

1.0

6 years ago

I have never been afraid to use a product again before this. I have skin that is well-trained to tolerate peels and all kinds of treatments. I applied this mask and left it on for ten minutes when I felt my face getting really hot. I though, "No big deal, I'll take a look at what is going on." I almost dropped the mirror in shock. My whole face was scarlet. SCARLET! I ran to the bathroom to wash everything off but the blotchy red marks stayed for hours afterwards. I had to apply a soothing ointment over my face for the rest of the night and pray I could go to work the next day. I think this product is too strong for the recommended time limit (ten minutes).

About reviewer (1756 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Not Sure