LUSH Ultra Bland Facial Cleanser

LUSH Ultra Bland Facial Cleanser
LUSH - Ultrabland

Almond Oil , Rose Water (Rosa centifolia), Beeswax (Cera alba), Honey, Fresh Iris Extract (Iris florentina), Glycerine, Rose Absolute (Rosa centifolia), Tincture of Benzoin (Styrax benzoin), Sodium Borate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

on 10/12/2018 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Yes, it took me FOREVER to give this a go, but I finally ran out of my usual makeup removers and decided to give this cult classic a try. Only 10 ingredients, 8 natural and 2 “safe synthetics” are a big selling feature for me. As is the fact that it’s cruelty free. I opt for cleansing balms because I like the facial massage at the end of the day when I’m removing my makeup. It took some getting used to but it’s worth the effort. What is different with this one is that it doesn’t emulsify like a typical balm or oil, likely because of the beeswax in it however; placing a steamy hot/warm flannel on my face after I massage it in for a bit and then rub away the residue, which I have come to really enjoy, it’s like a mini spa treatment every night. I do follow up with another “regular” cleanser afterward but my skin does feel great after using this product. I’m converted, this is now my makeup remover of choice.

on 10/12/2018 7:59:00 AM

I have used this cleanser for a while now and it's one of the best for my combination skin. Ultra Bland facial cleanser has become one of my favourite, easy to use, calming for the skin, I also love the scent especially when I clean my face in the evening, it's very relaxing, I always rinse with a flannel to make sure no residue is left on my face. My desert island cleanser!

on 9/10/2018 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've heard about this product for years and finally decided to try it. Ultra Bland is essentially cold cream cleanser, and that is what I wanted. Normally I use Pond's Cold Cream Cleanser, but UB sounded so decadent, I decided to take a chance. I ordered it directly from the LUSH website. It arrived quickly and in good shape.

The packaging is almost like heavy duty paper or ultra thin plastic. It reminds me of a very small cottage cheese container with a lid that happens to screw on. Evidently, this is better for the environment. If you collect five of these and take them to a LUSH store, you get something free. I don't think it's a free UB though. It's something cheaper. It's still a perk, though. UB also smells divine, as most LUSH products do. That's where the perks end, though.

UB takes forever to remove. You can't tissue it off like Ponds. It's so thick and sticky, it rips the tissue. A hot wash cloth is required. It's not a biggie, but using tissues is a nice option when you travel. Even with the hot wash cloth, it's hard to remove. The Ponds breaks down quickly taking everything with it. The UB requires a lot of massaging and several go overs with the wash cloth. When you're done there is a film left on the face, that I don't get with the Ponds. If I'm not meticulous with removal, I develop clogged pores. It's also $30.00 dollars. I can get a huge jar of Ponds for less than $10.00 dollars.

Basically, this isn't the product for me. It's okay, but I wouldn't buy it again. I suggest getting a trial size from a LUSH store first if possible. It's always good to try before you buy!

So who else is getting Younique vibes from all of the smug comments by Lush workers claiming that anyone who doesn't like this product is using it incorrectly? I've learned my lesson - never again am I trusting a product where the employees reviews claim crap like that because it just puts off all of the negative reviews from being posted, meaning a product is rated higher than it would have been otherwise. I have no doubt that people have used this product and loved it - but that's because I recognise people have different skin types and makeup performance. I'm not going to shame them for having a different experience.

I have followed every single direction and method posted here and explicitly told to me instore by Lush workers (all of whom told me very different methods but all agreed it was ideal as a makeup remover), and this product still sucked for me overall although there's some good things about it (which don't make up for its downfalls). I used this for four weeks straight as a makeup remover and facial cleanser, and then off and on as a cleanser. I noticed zero difference in my skin looking better which is really saying something because I'm allergic to coconut and I bought this because Ultra Bland didn't contain any coconut - so you'd think my skin would have looked much better since I was replacing my other cleansers and washes that contained it. I've since switched to another coconut-free makeup remover which outperforms this in every possible way (price, fast working, quantity, ease of use and skin condition) so I highly recommend Banila Co Clean It Zero instead.

As a lipstick remover - it's easily the best I've ever had. It removed my oxblood coloured matte liquid lipstick (Wicked) in literally one swipe - not even Clinique TTDO balm could do that.

As a base makeup remover - it's okay. Does the job but leaves a residue. It's not exactly difficult to find a makeup remover that does the bare minimum of removing foundation without leaving residue, which means the time this takes to work + the feeling after actually makes it below average. I usually wear mattifying primer, med/full coverage foundation, setting powder, bronzer, and setting (not fixing) spray for reference.

As a eye makeup remover - awful! I developed my first sty in over ten years because of this crap - it's useless for waterproof mascara. I wasn't even using high quality WP mascara, no I deliberately go for poor quality "waterproof" mascaras because I like them since they won't smudge, but are still easy to remove. No matter how long I massaged it in for or how much I used or how hot my wet face cloth was, it would never ever remove it cleanly. Even if I reapplied it three times. I'd get most of it off but be left with a gunky feeling in the lash line close to the roots where there were still mascara specks. Two weeks in to using this I developed a sty because of all the residue mascara goop that had stayed there. I could never rub my eyes after using this because I'd still get that nasty crunchy/sticky feeling.

As a facial cleanser - I could not discern any difference at all. If anything, my skin felt worse because it left that residue that every one else would talk about. You need to use a toner after this product, which is an extra expense that most people don't even need these days as more cleansers are within the right PH range for your skin.

I would apply and massage this stuff in, then use a face cloth in a steaming hot shower to "remove" what I could. I'd have to saturate and wring out the cloth again a few times as the cream was so thick.

This will make your face cloth stink horribly. I have several face cloths and machine wash them all at least once a week and just one single use of this stuff makes it smell of nasty milky vomit. I have never encountered that with any other face wash or makeup remover. It has no scent at all in the container, nor does it leave a smell on your face. My tub was nowhere near expiry either.

I don't regret buying it because I like how Lush believes in ethical pay and ingredients and whatnot, but I do regret wasting so much time and energy trying to make it work, and spending money on other products to try and make this better. It's a pain in the butt to use as well -cleansing balms/creams are hands down my favourite product but this is just so sub par compared to cheaper and easier to use alternatives out there. I'm only keeping this around as a lipstick remover, and I will not be repurchasing when it runs out.

If it helps, I have acne prone combination/dry sensitive skin. I have eczema and dermatitis, although this rarely affects my face. I tend to be allergic to a lot of ingredients, and while Ultra Bland did not break me out, it did not do anything to make my skin look nicer. I believe a good quality make up remover is one of the best skincare items you can invest in (on par with BHA) as finding a good quality one, like a balm, will work wonderfully as a remover and facewash in one, while leaving your skin feeling hydrated and plump and needing minimal prep before makeup.

on 9/1/2018 12:20:00 AM

3 weeks into cleansing only with Ultrabland and my combination, semi-sensitive and zit-prone skin has been clearer than it has since pre-puberty!

I’ve been using it in combination with Mario Badescu facial spray with rose/aloe and Embryolisse moisturiser and the occasional Weleda Skin Food. It might be the combination of products but I feel like it’s the Ultrabland mainly.

It must be the act of massaging the skin to cleanse, with the basic nature of the product. I remove it with a hot wash cloth, mainly in the shower.

10/10 would repurchase - if I had to pick only one Lush product forever, it would be this ultra basic Ultrabland

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

LOOOOOVE THIS PRODUCT! I have combination/acne prone skin and this product has done nothing but good for my skin. I love that the ingredients are natural and you can really tell when you're using it. This product is sooo gentle on your skin but not only that, it's also an amazing makeup remover. I've purchased 3 containers of this stuff already and I'm going to keep purchasing it. The only reason I didn't give this product 5 stars is just because it's quite expensive for a jar but at the same time the jars last quite a long time. I use this product at night because it does leave a little bit of a film on your face after because of the oils/beeswax in it but I find the film not as noticeable when you use a a damp washcloth to remove it after. Overall I would recommend this product to anyone with any skin type as it would benefit someone with dry skin, oily skin or combination skin. It's just an amazing product and if you're hesitant to buy the full jar you can always go to lush and try a free sample so you have nothing to lose!

In the beginning I loved this product. The small pot goes long, it’s very comfortable to use it. It doesn’t irritate the skin and it’s suitable for dry skin. The only thing what I don’t like is the fact that I need to make sure I have time to do double cleanse. It’s very thick and also the bee wax doesn’t go easy from your skin. So I need to make extra effort to clean and rinse this product out of my face.

on 5/15/2018 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

On my third tub of this. My skin is sensitive and was experiencing breakouts last year due to stress and hormones. Ultra Bland fixed my skin. It's very easy to use. You just rub it all over your face on its own then wipe it off with a soft warm cloth.
Seriously, give it a try. If it's not for you, fine but I've recommended it to several people who all love it.

Interesting product. Goes on like crisco, which feels surprisingly nice. Unfortunately, the physical act of removing it with a washcloth irritates my skin. It does leave a film, most likely the beeswax. It doesn't seem like you can follow up with much else, as whatever you applied to your face would now be sitting on beeswax; not absorbing into your skin. It does seem to help a lot of people, so worth a shot. Not useful enough for me.

on 3/23/2018 9:37:00 AM

It took me a long time to like this product. I definitely MUST double cleanse after ultra bland, and if I don’t...I pay for it. It’s true that it takes off all traces of makeup, doesn’t irritate the eyes, and is perfect for sensitive skin. It is quite expensive, BUT the small tub has lasted me three months, and I’m pretty sure I it will last for one more. No greasy residue is left behind after wiping, which is great. No harsh/synthetic fragrances; just great all around.