MAC Cosmetics Lip Pencil - Whirl

MAC Cosmetics Lip Pencil - Whirl

4.4

IngredientsHydrogenated Palm Kernel Glycerides, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Japan Fruit Wax, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate Lip pencils may contain: Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Red 7 Lake, Red 6, Red 28 Lake, Red 21, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake, Red 30, Red 40 Lake, May Vary.

on 1/6/2019 8:54:00 PM

I always read reviews here in order to inform my beauty purchase decisions. They are reliable and give a wide range of experiences. This will be my first ever review, and that's a shame because I feel so strongly about how crap this pencil is.

MAC has never failed me before, but this lip liner is rubbish. It's about $35, so not some bottomof the range dumpster-diving formula that you can just cut your losses on. I bought it because the shade I wanted in Too Faced wasn't there, and Whirl was a nice shade, even though the reviews here had been patchy at best on it.

In the store, Whirl liner was dry, draggy and chunky when applied. I hated it, but was loathe to walk away without anything after making the trip.

At home, it got worse. The shade wasn't the best on my light skin and has a weird orange cast rather than blue tone. It's so drying and doesn't disperse evenly.

The redeeming feature is the packaging and branding... MAC is classy but take a hard pass on this super average performer.

My cheap Australis outperforms this, and is literally 1/3 of price. Kylie Cosmetics has better lip liner formula, which is embarrassing for such a well established brand to be compared to.

I would never repurchase this.

on 1/6/2019 1:49:00 PM

This lip liner is worth ALL the hype!

Whirl is a pinky brown beautiful MLBB color with a matte finish. Looks kinda boring and dull upon initial swatch. But ever since purchasing this liner, it has been on my lips pretty much everytime I wear make up!

Despite the formula being matte, it glides so easily on the lips and looks so natural, but in this lip enhancing way. I am quite fair leaning yellow-neutral and love how non-overpowering Whirl is, it does not look too dark on me. Also it is very comfortable to wear, whether it be on its own/under a gloss/under a lipstick. The best part is, you can use it with pretty much any lipstick color, for example I like pairing my bright cool pink lipsticks with Whirl for a more pinky greige sort of color.

Highly recommend Whirl to pretty much everyone!

on 8/22/2018 3:42:00 PM

this was my favorite for so long but its a bit too dark for me in certain lighting. I am nc20 nw20 neutral skintone and this can pull very brown and too dark on me. I much prefer soar because its more pink and brighten up my face(look healthier) instead of making my lips look dull. . i think if you try this and it doesnt work out give soar or dervish a try. the range of shades by mac in the natural mlbb are great to achieve that pouty look. i am a sucker for mac lip liners but it is pricey and you cannot get back to mac with these. Nyx has mauve thats a dupe if you want to try it out before purchasing!

on 7/31/2018 12:15:00 AM

My latest favourite MAC liner. Was always hooked on Spice and now prefer this over it. Great natural colour. Also looks great all over lips with just gloss.

on 4/16/2018 3:27:00 PM

On my 2nd one! Lovely brown / mauve colour with a slight tint of purple ( in my opinion). Formula isn’t anything amazingly long lasting but it does the job! There’s supposed to be a NYX dupe so probably try that when my pencil runs out. As it is MAC I don’t think it’s worth the price you’re basically paying for the name and hype of the shade. But it’s something you need to try at least once

on 8/22/2017 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

One of my favorite lip liners!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

As many have already mentioned, this liner is often described as a 90s mauve-brown shade. I love lip pencils with beige and brown undertones and thought it looked great on the celebrities and beauty bloggers I had seen. Unfortunately, against my fair skin and on my already quite pinkly pigmented lips, this shade appears pinky-mauve and not at all brown. It's not unflattering, but definitely not the look I was going for - way too vibrant and not anything close to a neutral shade. If you're also fair, I would definitely recommend googling pictures of Whirl specifically on pale skin before purchasing.

on 8/12/2017 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Love this lip liner. The color and consistency are both fantastic. It's my new favorite!

on 5/2/2017 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Inexpensive non drug store lip liner that everyone should have in their bag if they're after a mlbb shade. I love how it appears dirty brown, pink on me and yet so natural. I love using it on my top lip and apply clear gloss or balm on top for a natural effect. I also use it for pairing with twig lipstick and the colours are so beautiful. It's not as long lasting as make up for Evers aqua liners but has a decent staying power. For reference I'm south East Asian with warm skin tone and pigmented lips.

Great colour and it lasts forever. I use this colour for basically every lip I wear, no matter the lipstick or gloss. Even when I do a red lip, I put this on first to outline my lips more naturally before going over it with a red liner. It's great with matched shades (I like MAC Modesty or Angel) but also nice to use as a matte lip when you fill in your lips completely.