AmLactin 12%

AmLactin 12%
AmLactin 12%Amlactin MeAmLactin 12%

4.3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I absolutely love this lotion, its the only thing that has made even the slightest difference to my chronic keratosis pilaris. It smooths out dry, flaky, bumpy skin and I noticed a big difference in only a week of use, since then the improvement has been slower but noticeable. It does have a slight scent but I've never been able to smell it once absorbed, in Europe it is also overpriced but that's the only negative! UPDATE: This is still wonderful for my KP, but not quite moisturizing enough in cooler weather so I either layer/alternate with Aveeno or Cetaphil and the results are still great!

on 5/3/2017 5:56:00 PM

Hair: Other, Kinky, Coarse

This product has transformed my skin completely. I have had chronic dry, scaly, flaky skin on my body with rough patches on my knees and elbows my entire life. After using this for a week, I could see the difference in my skin. After a few months of use, I felt like I had entirely new skin. I use this on my body daily after I shower, and it has moisturized my dry scaly skin. Previously I had only had partial luck with thick heavy creams, so I was skeptical about this lighter weight lotion producing results, but it works!

Pros:
Moisturizes and eliminates dry scaly skin like no other product
Improves skin texture from scaly and flaky to soft, smooth and even
Reduces body acne

Cons:
The scent is pretty awful, it dissipates but takes some time to get used to. It sometimes creates a weird earthy sour smell in combination with citrus fragrance notes.
On the driest days of winter, I still have to layer on a thicker body butter over top of this thinner lotion. I've tried the Amlactin cream formulation and it just doesn't sink in and have the same effect as using 2 separate products

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

After the first application, my hands look 5 years younger! My skin is sooo soft...not looking back...I've tried Cerave, all kinds of expensive drug store lotion and finally I've found the lotion that will moisturize, exfoliate, and make skin look younger

I have suffered from moderate psoriasis on my hands to the point where, because of the open half-inch slits at the ends of my fingers, I could barely stand to use them. The pharmacist at my doctor's office recommended this cream. I bought the generic @ Walmart pharmacy for $8.

Amazing cream. Within 30 min. of first application (and after a little bit of stinging) my hands felt so much better. I may have FINALLY found something that really works. Thank goodness!

on 2/8/2016 3:42:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is the best if you have rough skin/KP.

Pros:
- AHA exfoliates and gets rid of little bumps
- Moisturizes well, even in the winter

Cons:
- Kind of smells like glue. It does still have a subtle scent after a few hours, but only if you smell closely
- Can sting if you have little cuts or broken skin
- Can be a little sticky, but not enough to bother me throughout the day
- Packaging is simple, but hard to travel with: you have to push the pump down (losing product) and twist to lock
- Not cheap. I've only bought it at Costco, so I don't know if it goes on sale anywhere else

In the end, this is the only thing that has had an effect on my KP, other than physical exfoliation with a scrubby nylon cloth, so I will definitely repurchase (and be super upset if it's discontinued).

on 9/23/2015 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I moved to the Colorado mountains for a summer and found a bottle of this in the house I was renting. One day, in a moment of desperation, I applied it to my hands. My first thought after using it was, "Ermaghad! The old tenant filled this lotion bottle with some sort of ammonia-based cleaning fluid!," but the smell dissipated, I calmed down and read the ingredients label, and then noticed how great my hands felt.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover this product, especially after suffering many cold and dry northeastern winters as a kid. These days, I live in a warm climate and rarely use body lotion, but the Colorado air leaves my skin dry, tight, and itchy feeling, and the wimpy moisturizer I packed for my summer here just wasn't cutting it. Anyway, fast forward to three months later and I have totally used up mystery previous tenant's bottle of Amlactin. I'm not gonna lie, it smells pretty weird, but it works and I'm not a huge fan of fragrant products anyway. You're not supposed to use this on your face, but it worked so well on my body that I bought a night face cream containing lactic acid and that has done wonders for my complexion (I've discovered AHAs!) Also, I've been outdoors all summer and haven't experienced any sun sensitivity with this product, although I am an avid sunscreen user and I usually apply Amlactin at night.

I'm not going to be in the Centennial State for much longer, but if I ever find myself in a dry or cold climate again, you betcha I'll be repurchasing.

When I first bought this product I really wasn't sure I liked it, but through experimentation I have got it to work for me and will definitely be re-purchasing. I got it through Amazon in the UK for a reasonable price and bought a large pump bottle, which helps with dosage.

It's a useful combination of a dose of lactic acid to exfoliate (12%) with a proper dermatological emollient. Aimed at sufferers of KP (aka 'chicken skin' on arms and / or legs), it's also good for 'de-flaking' and smoothing skin generally, without drying it out. It's pretty fluid and not too tacky for an emollient and goes on smoothly, albeit with a strong chemical smell. It will soak in well unless you overdo it: I recommend starting with a small amount and building it up till you find the amount that works best for you.

I use it nightly as part of the following routine:

- quick shower with A-derma Exomega Emollient Shower Oil, massaging all over with Foreo Luna
- rub a few drops of Weleda Calendula Oil all over whilst still wet from the shower
- pat dry gently or air-dry
- apply Amlactin all over body as needed (I use 1 pump split between both arms, 1 pump for each leg and a smaller amount for torso, which is less dry)
- once soaked in, follow up with a thicker emollient balm on any particularly dry spots (feet, elbows).

Using it this way has helped to reduce annoying lumps and bumps on my arms and legs and keeps my sensitive skin smooth, without lots of heavy mechanical exfoliation, which I find can trigger patches of dermatitis.

WARNINGS / DOWNSIDES:

- it's a pretty strong product. I wouldn't use it on my face / neck / décolleté and some people might find it too strong for regular use or for any use at all.
- If you have lumps and bumps, remember to apply in the direction of hair growth on your arms and legs - this will stop the emollient component of the lotion from blocking hair follicles.
- The smell. No two ways about it, you will smell of ammonia after applying this! I find the smell fades to nothing after about an hour, but you definitely don't want to apply this just before a romantic encounter...

on 4/27/2015 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have atopic dermatitis (or eczema) and my dermatologist recommended this to me. I have been using this for 4 years, and I LOVE it. It helps to moisturize and remove those dark rough patches from scratching my arms and legs out. But beware, DO NOT USE THIS AFTER YOU SHAVE. It will STING. The first year of using it it stung so badly, but now I'm used to it. I just love it. Weirdly, in summer it's a bit too heavy to the point my arms and legs are sweating (which I don't do) and in winter it's just too light ( I have to use a body butter over it). But if you have normal skin, you will be okay.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Add me to the list of raving reviewers. This is one of my favorite moisturizers, and I've since turned my mother, father, and grandmother onto this product. With that said, if you absolutely can't stand slightly tacky lotions that leave a film and have a generic chemical scent, this product isn't for you. I am completely willing to overlook all of that though given AmLactin's effectiveness and price.

I have dehydrated-normal skin that responds especially well to lactic acid. AmLactin is my go-to body moisturizer when I need some all-over chemical exfoliation either due to dryness, ingrown hairs or breakouts. I also especially like it on my feet because no matter how often I go at my soles with a pumice stone and moisturize, they also look dry and cracked. However, with AmLactin they look normal, even touchable. Since I've turned my mother onto AmLactin, I can see a visible difference in her feet which were previously dry and cracked for as long as I can remember.

Overall, if you don't mind a tacky film and a somewhat unpleasant fragrance in your lotions, AmLactin is worth a look.

on 8/17/2014 4:01:00 PM

This stuff is amazing. I was a little reluctant to buy since beautypedia claims it doesn't work because of ph, but decided to try based on glowing reviews and recommendations for a friend. I have kp on my arms, and these little bumps on my legs that are a bit like kp and have just always been there (literally, I've had them for years) and literally just feel like every pore on my leg skin is clogged.

I tried this lotion and yes, as others have stated, the smell isn't the most pleasant. However, I'm not big on fragrance free products, so I'll accept the smell. It dissipates fairly soon. Also, skin feels a little sticky for a short period of time after putting the lotion on, which also dissipates. But that said, because of the stickiness, I tend to use this a night, not in the morning, just because I don't have the time in the morning to wait for the to dry.

The effect on my skin has been incredible, and so fast! Within a couple of days, the skin on my legs has been smoother than it has been in probably over 10 years. The effect compounds, so the more you use it, the smoother the skins gets. After a while, I could use it every other day to maintain. I briefly stopped using this while I was on vacation because I didn't want to carry the big bottle, and the bumps came back within a couple of days, so this lotion has definitely been fully responsible for the magic.

Popular Lotions / Creams