Chanel Gardenia

Chanel Gardenia

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I wanted to love this. White florals and Chanel are two of my favourite things when it comes to perfume, but sadly this wasn't what I'd hoped it would be.

Don't get me wrong, it's smells wonderful for the first half an hour. Then it's gone. And I don't mean that it's changed on the skin or morphed into something else. I mean, I can't smell a thing after about half an hour to an hour. I don't tend to have this issue with other fragrances, but my skin eats this perfume. I used a very generous amount of my sample and I tried spirtizing myself in store, but each and every time it fades extremely quickly.

Despite the fact that it's a lovely, elegant white floral mix (and if it did last on the skin I would adore it) it's too weak and too short-lived to warrant investing in.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This smells like happiness in a bottle! A Spring summer daytime favorite of mine. Very unobtrusive, you need to reapply several times throughout the day.

To Read all 177 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/8/2015 6:00:00 PM

Creamy sweet white floral (Jasmine, gardenia, tuberose) tinged with orange and fruit and very rich and big. Does not turn indolic on me (I have an issue with white florals and Caron Narcisse noire extrait vintage, acasciosa, Schiaperelli shocking and piguets Baghari are all somewhat problematic). Oddly it smells on my skin like a melange of white florals with orange added on top. I am a dabber, and this scent seems like it would be a bombastic powerhouse, yet it lies relatively close to the skin once applied. Although it seems to disappear, I do gets wafts of it hours later. I have the trio of extraits: Cuir de Russia, Bois de Iles and Gardenia from when they were released in the 1990s? My Gardenia is more gold In color than the green tinged liquid in the photo above.

Chanel fragrances seem dense to me; they occupy almost tangible olfactory space ( I am thinking of coromandel right now, but Gardenia does also). It is a tad throat scratching or powdery but not green pollinated. (I think of FM carnal flower as a green pollinated tuberose). Somehow I think of this as more delicate than SL a la Nuit (Jasmine plus SL warm dry down) or SL Fleurs de oranger. If you want a gardenia that is more modern or conceptual, I recommend the very different Sotto Luna Gardenia by Andy Tauer and if money is no object, there is also the blue cheese gardenia by JAR. I don't necessarily recommend SL Une Voix Noire, because to me it's not very noire and almost more about strawberries, rum and tobacco with some white floral thrown in.

Many reviewers state that this is more tuberose than gardenia. I think it's more Jasmine and orange. But, if you are in the Tuberose camp, I think Creed Tuberose Indiana ( tuberose plus honeysuckle, LOTV, tuberose, citrus plus a creed base) is worth a try as well. Also worth a try for a very reasonable price (vintage miniature bottles are all over eBay) is Guerlain Mahora.

I recall that I have a sample somewhere of vintage of Tuvache Jungle Gardenia. When I dig it out, I will update. However, I should add that white florals are not a category that I am particularly familiar with, and it's quite possible in a blind smell test, I might not be able to distinguish this from a gardenia or white floral oil from Whole Foods.

on 12/18/2013 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I used to be very down on this fragrance because it doesn't smell like gardenia, and it still doesn't, but I kind of appreciate it more for what it is - a bombastic white floral. It smells like the floral section of the original Poison minus all the fruit and spice. Sometimes I'm in the mood for loud and cheerful and this fits the bill on those occasions.

on 11/19/2013 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

'Gardenia' mixed with 'Beige' is my ultimate favs of the collection. I love Chanel perfumes to begin with but this very 'ME'. It somehow mixes so well with my body chemistry that it actually smells like I and the perfume are one (if that makes sense). I am not very good with notes plus everyone else has done a wonderful job describing them, but i will say that it is a very unique fragrance that is absolutely worth the $240 for the 200 ml bottle. I am not into 'eau de toilette' versions of fragrances but this collection is an exception. What i love even more is that it lasts about 7 hours on me which is fantastic for an eau de toilette. This is a very sophisticated, classy, luxe, warm, comforting, clean (not soapy or laundry clean), and rich fragrance. I am in total love. I wear this all year round. Definitely repurchase!
Btw i do like to wear 'Beige' on it's own but i try not to wear 'Gardenia' on its own as much because i find that it is too strong by itself.
My other favs include 1932 (which is supposed to smell like 'jewels' and I agree), La Pausa, Bel Respiro, Cuir de Russe (or something like that), and Cormandal.

on 12/4/2012 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Very pretty white floral, predominantly gardenia but not totally. Dewey, feminine; not sultry and no overtones of indoles, mushrooms, cheese, etc. The Perfumed Court lists notes of jasmine, gardenia, orange blossom, and tuberose, heart notes of clove, sage, pimiento, and base notes of musk, patchouli, sandalwood, and vetiver. I really don't get anything except white floral.

on 11/17/2012 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

LOVE IT!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It's Grasse Jasmine. The EDT is like some pathetic crap they pipe into department stores so they smell vaguely perfumey. But if you can get your hands on a vintage bottle of parfum extrait that hasn't turned, you'll smell the real thing.

on 11/18/2011 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ahhhhh Gardenia. With the exception of Jersey, I have now smelled all the Exclusifs and cannot live without two, Cuir de Russie and now Gardenia. Many have said that this does not smell like gardenia, I cannot comment never having smelled a real one. What it does smell like is an elegant, retro, refined Tuberose with delicate fruity undertones. I adore this. I actually find the lasting power quite good when sprayed on clothes at about 5 hours, but I often respritz sooner for the luscious green fruity nirvana that is Gardenia. I need a new car right now, but I may instead take out a loan for the 900 ml extrait . . . it's just that good. This review was for the EdT. Must try extrait next. Thank you Chanel for showing so much respect for your legacy and your devoted customers. Are you listening Caron?!

Gardenia is one of those perfumes that makes you want to draw a longer a deeper breath... beautiful! It reminds me of YSL's spring edition of Paris, but with seemingly higher quality ingredients. Its more expensive than general brands (retails at AED610 in Dubai, about $166 for 50ml), but remains cheaper than brands such as Tom Ford.

Also, it's usually just sold in Chanel's boutique, which makes it all the more special.

Enjoy!