Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream

Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream
All-Purpose Face Cream

4.3

Active Ingredients Mineral Oil; Water; Beeswax; Magnesium Aluminum Silicate; Sodium Borate; Fragrance; Isopropyl Myristate; DMDM Hydantoin; Red 4

on 1/15/2017 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

If you're like me and tired of companies telling you that you have to buy 15 of their products in order to have clean, flawless skin ... at least try this face cream.

Our Grandmothers and some of our Mothers got by OK with using only one facial product - cold cream. It wasn't until companies started realizing they could make a cleanser to strip your face and then tell you that you need a moisturizer, a night cream and an eye cream to make your skin supple again. Not only that, doesn't it burn you up that companies make all these products and then change them to "new formulas!!" or phase out a line completely for another one?

Now that I have that off my chest, let's talk about this face cream. Let me tell you why I am happy I bought this. I am 40 something years old. Like, when did this happen? I am still 20, right? My skin is no longer what it was then. Heck, it's no longer what it was 5 years ago. Seriously. I have another thing working against me - time and laziness. I have very little time to myself and by the time I do, I just want to fall in bed from exhaustion. This cream babies my skin and I find the rose scent comforting. When it comes to cleansing I can either slather it on before I jump in the shower and let it sit for while before using a wet washcloth to remove. I can also just use it to remove make up like any other cleanser with a wet washcloth. If I am feeling especially lazy I don't have to use any wet washcloth at all and just wipe with a tissue. EASY. Some people have complained that it leaves a oily residue. YES. This is the best part. Leave that residue on your skin and wait a couple of minutes and that will soak into your face giving you some seriously supple skin. It will no longer be oily. I love the way this stuff makes my face feel. It has also helped with my texture and redness. I also use this face cream as a make up primer and a facial moisturizer - thin layers for both. I don't need separate products. BONUS: The price. I paid less than $4 for this.

All that wonderful stuff being said, it's not a all in one product. You will still need a scrub and facial masks and toners and sunscreen if you're into those sorta things. It doesn't always remove all my mascara. Another con, the jar. This jar could be used as a weapon, it's that heavy and large! I don't keep my make up or facial products in my bathroom so lugging this jar around is a chore [see above laziness]. It also takes up a lot of room. For those people buying back up jars where the hell are you keeping your jars?!?! LOL!

PROS:
- multi-purpose product (especially for the lazy)
- formula hasn't changed in like, 200 years (could be wrong on that)
- sweet retro art on the jar (I am the redhead)
- smells like roses (this could be a con)
- grandma approved (grandmas vary)
- $4 dollar make me hollah

CONS:
- not an all-in-one product (won't clean your oven)
- big bulky heavy jar
- might not remove all your mascara
- smells like roses (this could be a pro)

I have used every pricey cream and lotion and cleanser made-I promise you-I could probably ha e bought a 2nd home for what I've spent on skin care- and I promise you I get more compliments when I use this in combination with my retin-a than I get with all other creams etc,. Give it a try-it's 4.00 at the Dollar Store or WMT -of it doesn't work out it on your feet and add some socks and you can use it all winter that way:)

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm 53 with combination skin. Someone recommended this and I read the reviews, bought it. It does a wonderful job of removing makeup and softening the skin, but it broke me out terribly.

At first I was in denial. I tried following up with Cerave hydrating cleanser, then eventually African Black Soap.

But it was not to be. White heads and cysts were springing up all over. Had to end it.

I'm back to oil cleansing, which works well. I use Garden of Wisdom cleansing oil for sensitive skin which gets off all my makeup including waterproof mascara without irritating. Was just hoping this cheap Jergens was going to be my frugal miracle, but it wasn't.

on 8/23/2016 3:22:00 PM

I got a G I A N T (15 oz) plastic jar of this at WalMart for less than $4. I double cleanse every night and normally use Pond's cold cream and Clinique Take the Day Off balm (when I'm not blowing my beauty budget elsewhere). Pond's has been irritating my eyes lately so I decided to try this since the ingredients are similar and you get SO much more product for less dollars.

A little dab'll do ya, then wipe with a damp washcloth & watch said washcloth become a wretched wraith of its former self, i.e. stamped with the flesh-stained aftermath of your daily facial armor. It takes off all my makeup very easily without any irritation. I have experienced no breakouts, though I probably would if I used this as my only cleanser.

I have been using this every night for about two weeks and I'm still trying to use up the cream stuck to the bottom of the lid FYI. This will last eons. And eons. I don't like the smell though, it's really strong and totally Eau de Nair.

EDIT: still hasn't broken me out, but the mineral oil in this clogged my pores a bunch.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My mother-in-law referred me to this, telling me that her mother-in-law had used it regularly and had basically no wrinkles even into old age. That is enough of a recommendation for me! For about a fiver you get a MASSIVE jar with just about the cutest, most deliciously 80s looking graphic on it and a pink lid. Really takes me back to the whole two years I actually lived in the 80s, haha.
Anyways, this is one of those multitasking products that many people swear by- it helps remove makeup, it's a face lotion, it's a body lotion. It has simple enough ingredients to not aggravate any skin conditions, but it's definitely moisturizing enough to use during winter or if you just have dry skin.
Honestly, there are a lot of (haughty) people who will turn their nose up at Jergens, or any other drugstore brand, but could not look you in the face and tell you this product doesn't do what it says- it moisturizes, and well. It's takes off makeup without stripping your skin. This ain't your grandmas face cream (unless you're my husband, that is). The results are in: it's just GOOD.
The scent is another aspect that I treasure: where else are you going to find a bold, unapologetic rose scent like this? Most brands will shy away from including blatant scents in their skincare products. I say, bring it on.
This will make your skin dewy and radiant. If you use this at night, you may not need any more lotions on your face until your next shower. I can't speak for the anti-wrinkle properties because right now I don't have any. Maybe this has something to do with that? I'm 27, so I'll update in ten years and let you know.
I may experiment with other face creams and lotions, and who among us doesn't?, but I will always have a big ol' jar of this sitting in my bathroom. It has achieved such cult status, there would be riots in the streets if they ever discontinued this (or changed the packaging- PLEASE Jergens, don't change the packaging!!)

on 8/14/2016 7:18:00 PM

Based on good reviews I picked this up a while back. I must say this is a great product. I use this only at night before bed. I smear some all over my face and then wipe it off with a warm washcloth. I don't even have to put on face lotion afterwards, I just leave it as is. I typically use my normal Basis or Purpose cleanser in the shower in the mornings and this Jergens cream at night. Makes my face care routine quite simple which is what I prefer these days. I personally get a kick out of the packaging too with the retro picture on it. It reminds me of the 80's which is the decade I grew up in. But it works for me so I am going to continue to use it. 5 stars!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

OMG! Why did I wait so long to try this product? Most of us Mexicans grew up with jars of this in our households. My grandma always referred to it by the logo of the three ladies on the label - crema de las tres caritas. I have oily, acne prone skin with a few dry patches from the use of prescription acne products and I like this to cleanse my skin at night. It is everything the label says - deep cleansing, moisturizing and softening. I perform a double cleanse when using this product and I do not want any sort of film on my skin to prevent the tretinoin from penetrating my skin. I scoop out from the jar the amount of a 50 cent piece (with freshly washed hands of course) and massage it onto my face, neck, around my eyes- even over my eyelids. I massage it into my skin with circular motions and I leave it to sit for about an hour. An old school Hollywood beauty secret - it will soak into the pores and really dissolve dirt, makeup, and skin oils, and the days grime. Then with a clean wash cloth - I use a fresh one everyday - I will soak the cloth in hot water, wring it out until damp and hold the hot washcloth close to my face to open my pores. I repeat this process all over my face and neck about 3 times to really open the pores. Then I wipe off the cleansing cream with the warm wash cloth, rinsing in fresh water as needed. I then rinse my skin with just barely warm water and cleanse with Philosophy's Purity cleanser or Cetaphil and either my clarisonic or the Foreo Luna to remove the emollient film left by the cleansing cream. As I previously stated I do a double cleanse to remove the film that may impede the penetration of the tretinoin I use for acne control. I have not had issues with break out or clogged pores since using the Jergens cleansing cream. There have been a few nights I have not used the tretinoin bc I wanted to see if my skin would break out from the cold cream but it has not. When you are finished cleansing your skin is left soft, smooth and glowing and no dry patches. It is great to apply to dry hands, feet, elbows, knees - anywhere dry skin is a problem. I gave a three lippie rating bc it can be difficult to remove if you apply too much and the unsanitary jar packaging but I like it though. The jar has been updated - it was previously only available in a smaller jar that was about 5 ounces with a narrow opening that made it hard to scoop out the product when you got towards the bottom of the jar. This has become one of my staple products in my beauty ritual. I will use as long as it's made and hope the formula is never changed. It's one of the few classic cold creams left that still contains borax as part of the formula.

on 5/24/2016 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product works great to unclog pores, but it's time consuming and takes quite a bit of effort to apply. That said, it gives visible, satisfying results immediately. It seems to dissolve sebaceous filaments instantly. (Sebaceous filaments look very similar to blackheads, I just learned the difference recently!)

I start by massaging the cream firmly into my skin in small circles for about 1 minute or more, focusing especially on congested areas like my forehead and cheeks. It has a thick, creamy consistency. When done, I wipe the excess cream thoroughly with a dry tissue.
The process should be repeated if you're wearing makeup - first to remove makeup, then again to cleanse and deep clean.

I usually follow up with witch hazel to further unclog pores.

I love that pores visibly look clearer right away. About 80% of my pores are instantly free of oil buildup and debris. Of course, those pesky sebaceous filaments come back the next day, but at least I get the satisfaction of clearing them away, even if it's just temporary.

Because I am slightly acne-prone, I was nervous about applying a thick cold cream containing mineral oil to my face. However, this product has never caused me any breakouts, even after months of daily use.

The bottom line is it takes a long time to apply properly. However, based on the amazing results it achieves, I will probably repurchase.

I find cold cream is as effective at clearing gunk from pores as a 10% benzoyl peroxide mask (try Neutrogena!), however BP can be harsh and very drying, whereas cold cream can be used daily without stripping the skin dry.

The packaging isn't ideal. I really disliked that the jar didn't have a safety seal, and a pump would be more sanitary than dipping your fingers directly into the tub of cream.

on 5/22/2016 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Update, 8/31/16: Nothing's really changed, but I recently switched to Neutrogena's Ultra Light cleansing oil. It's easier and less messy to use, and does the same good job cleaning. Even though it's also a drugstore product, the oil is considerably more expensive. I'm pretty sure one jar of the Jergens will outlast two bottles of the oil...

Original review: What a steal!

It took me a week or so to decide that I really could tolerate the fragrance. Now, some months later, I barely notice it.

The texture is yummy. About half a tablespoon (not to worry, it comes in a huge jar) takes care of face AND *waterproof* eye makeup. I rinse it off with a warm, wet washcloth, and am astounded, every night, by all that comes off, and about the fact that it doesn't irritate or make my eyes blurry. The only downside is that the washcloths are pretty gross looking, so the choice is bleaching white ones, or using brown. No matter, it's worth it.

Follow with toner, etc. I've been using Proactive steps 2 and 3 (with the Jergens instead of step 1), and my skin's been behaving beautifully.

Did I mention that it's dirt cheap? And seems much more effective than Pond's.

I was looking for a face cream to use every night to hydrate and avoid future fine lines and wrinkles. This product is fantastic!! I've been using it for 3 months now,let me just say Holy Grail!! My skin looks so much better than it did before. It's softer,smoother and surprisingly I rarely breakout. I use it after every shower,a light layer is all you really need. It also removes pesky waterproof makeup like a dream. However when you wear it under makeup, I feel it wears longer without the nasty "cakey" look we all hate. It gives the most beautiful dewy finish,but can be mattified easily. My only complaint is that it does burn quite alot if it gets into your eyes,but this problem is easily avoided. I dont know what kind of magic is in this bottle, but what I do know is that I cannot recommend this product enough.