Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream

Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream
All-Purpose Face Cream

4.3

Active Ingredients Mineral Oil; Water; Beeswax; Magnesium Aluminum Silicate; Sodium Borate; Fragrance; Isopropyl Myristate; DMDM Hydantoin; Red 4

on 2/22/2018 3:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is now my substitute for La Mer cream. It cost $6 for 6 ounces. I have two huge jars that will last a long time. And mind you, this is the small jar. It also comes in 15 oz. jars.

My La Mer cream cost $120 for 1/2 ounce. That is a jar about the size of a walnut. It lasts about a week or two.

I have tried many expensive creams and serums and I just can't shell out the exhorbitant cost of these concoctions. So I'll use this old fashioned cold cream. It does leave the skin as smooth as a baby's bottom. It takes some practice to do it right. I can't just leave it on because it's far too greasy and heavy. I remove it with a wet washcloth and it leaves just the right amount on the skin.

If La Mer did not remove my wrinkles, I can safely assume nothing will, but I loved the consistency and smell of it and it did heal my skin barrier. I am putting my trust in this older cream to take care of my face. I don't like the heavy perfume of the Jergens but it's not so bad once I wash it off.

This is not sold anywhere in Canada, so I bought it on amazon. I suspect it is old, and it wasn't sealed, but it's from a pharmacy in the US so I'm hoping it is fine.

I don't think I will buy it again. It's an experiment, wanting to use the skin care regimen of the 1950s. And a compromise, because I cannot afford La Mer. Knowing myself, I will get tired of this and want to try another cream or serum.

on 1/2/2018 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This came up in my review feed today so I thought I'd add my .02. I Could love it, but it breaks me out. And I'm an old broad with dry, although not- sensitive skin. I actually downgraded it to use on my legs after discovering breakouts on my face and chest, and sure enough I got an ugly looking welt on my leg, which disappeared after I stopped using this. Oddly, I'm not normally sensitive to the ingredients listed. Otherwise I found it performs just as all of the excellent reviews state so if I use it only as a one-off on a particularly dry day it's ok.

on 1/2/2018 9:21:00 AM

I've been using Pond's cleansers and their Crema S moisturizer for half a year now. I have parched, flaky, horribly dry skin even in the hot summers, but I occasionally get a few blackheads or a clogged pore here and there. I wanted to try a different oil based cleanser and saw the reviews on this face cream were great, so I picked it up at Wal Mart for about $3 which is a steal!

The cream is light pink and scented like roses, which I really like. It's extremely thick, much thicker than Pond's, and you need a tiny scoop to cleanse and moisturize the face, that's all. I wet a wash cloth in warm water and steam my pores after applying this cream and then I wipe it off and apply a little more on the super dry parts of my face and my neck and chest. I had a breakout on my forehead when I got this product and when I woke up the next day the pores were unclogged and the redness was nearly completely gone! Not to mention my face is so soft and smooth and plump after using this cream.

If you're looking for an economical product that packs a cleansing and moisturizing punch I would recommend this product. I don't wear makeup anymore but I bet this removes makeup like a miracle!! I absolutely adore this cleanser and I'm switching from Pond's to Jergen's Face Cream from now on!! I would recommend this product to anyone with very parched skin or aging skin because its moisturizing properties are unbeatable! It's also very good for the bitterly cold winters here. I can't say enough good things about this product! Go out and try it!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been double-cleansing for over a decade. I started using cream cleansers and dedicated white washcloths to save money on makeup wipes and special removers. Recently, I decided to give this a try, as I'm a sucker for vintage-style "classic" beauty products. I wish I could knock off half a lippie for the oily residue it can leave behind in my sink and my facial brush, but that may just be part of its functionality. Here's the thing: this has turned out to be the perfect de-gunker for my oily, congested pores, while leaving a moisture "buffer" behind that keeps my skin from getting stripped when I use my foaming cleanser. The formula is super basic. the scent is nostalgic (sort of a soapy rose-floral) and the result is soft, clear, beautiful skin. I can't believe something with that much wax and oil would actually help unclog my pores, but it does! The price is unreal, at under $4 at Wally World. I'm hooked- especially for wintertime when even we greasy gals get dehydrated.

on 11/5/2017 5:38:00 PM

I have spent a small fortune, in fact a great fortune ;) on high end skin care products, believing that expensive must be better. Shame on me for not working out sooner that this in NOT the case! I have extremely sensitive skin and react to so many cleansers and moisturisers, which is so frustrating. I finally decided to go back to basics and try using a cold cream to cleanse and moisturise my face in one simple step. I tired Ponds and reacted quite badly to that and then I tried Nivea and Astral, all with no success. I stumbled across a review for Jergens All Purpose Face Cream and for just a few pounds (I live in England), I figured I had nothing to lose. I was not wrong, as it is hands down the best product I have ever bought. I have stocked up on several pots for fear of it ever being discontinued.

I use it both as a cleanser and a moisturiser, I just slather a generous amount on my skin and let it melt onto the skin for a few minutes and then remove it with a hot face flannel. It feels so gentle and relaxing to use and my skin loves it. Honestly, if you have normal skin, you may find you don't need to moisturise after cleaning with this, as although it is easy to remove, it leaves the skin feeling very soft and supple and lightly moisturised. If my skin is dry, I apply a light layer to add more moisture to my face. I also use it as an all over body moisturiser and it absorbs quickly and I personally love the smell as it is an old-fashioned 'classic' smell, just very delicate and light and clean smelling. I hate strong smelling creams but enjoy using something with a little fragrance as it definitely adds to the relaxation element of using skin care products. Like I said, I react to so many products, and this has caused me no problems whatsoever, so the fragrance is obviously not an issue for me, as it is very light.

I really wish I had discovered this years ago, as it's like a miracle product. So many people will not try it due to the ingredients containing mineral oil etc, however this formulation which includes beeswax, borax and mineral oil is amazing. It is so simple and yet so effective. I am amazed this has not reached the cult status of Pond's as it is a far superior product and much better value. For the money, you honestly have nothing to lose, and quite likely a lot to gain and will save you a fortune in the long run.

I could go on, as it's completely perfect in my opinion. I will never be without it and if they ever stop making it, I will set up a business and have it made myself!

I would just add that it is worth preserving with this product if you initially find you break out from using it. If your skin is very congested, it will draw out impurities and so you might feel your skin is breaking out at first. This is just the first step in your skin purging and then it will settle down. It really helps rehydrate skin, which should balance out your skin with continued use, and any breakouts will stop within a short period of time. I think the combination of ingredients is designed to both cleanse your skin and moisturise it at the same time, so unlike other cold creams it is more effective in balancing and normalising skin with continued use.

on 10/27/2017 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

When I started double cleansing I began searching for a good, oil based cleanser. One day I happened upon this on the bottom shelf at the drugstore and as transported back to my grandmother running it on my face after a dance recital. I snatched it up. I'm so, so happy. It does a great job of gently dissolving my makeup and sunscreen, and leaves my face in great condition. I really like putting it on before I take a hot shower. Seems loosen up any grits I have. And no, I haven't had any breakouts or other issues. Plus, how adorable is the packaging?

on 10/19/2017 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm giving this 3 lippies because I don't love it or hate it. Its just meh. Its really cheap and it lasts forever. I bought this as a moisturizer not a cleanser, makeup remover or primer so I'm reviewing as moisturize.
But FYI it does suck as a primer.
I'm surprised at all the great reviews, really. It is so greasy feeling. My hair sticks to my face! That dewy look it gives is because its like oil. And I've been using it for like 2 years and still have perpetual dry cheeks. I've finally had enough and am going to buy something else. I know, I'm a slow learner.
But I will keep my jar and probably still repurchase because of the price and it works in a pinch. But its still not great.

on 10/6/2017 4:22:00 PM

This is by far the best cold cream you can by. The price is fantastic. About $4 for a huge jar that lasts me for nearly 6 months! It does everything a cold cream should do, remove makeup, cleanse, and hydrate. I don't mind the smell because its a classic sent and I like have the packaging has old fashioned faces on it. This is a timeless cold cream and by far the best value. Pond's can't compare.

I've recently learned to check all ingredients in skin care to look out for comedogenic ingredients. This contains isopropyl myristrate which is EXTREMELY PORE CLOGGING. It is 5 on the comedogenic (the highest rating!) Check ingredients before you use them. I used this product for years and never knew that it was contributing to my acne. Will have to probably make my own cold cream from now on.

on 8/31/2017 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

OMG my new HG! I love this stuff. I am a big fan of all Jergens products. I've been using their lotions for who knows how long...anyhow, I've been wanting to try this and never actually went out to seek it, until one day I was at Walmart and saw it. It was like fate!! lol.. I use this at night before bed and in the morning as my primer before I apply my makeup. This stuff is indeed a multi purpose face cream! It works as a cleanser, makeup remover, moisturizer, and base primer. I haven't used this as a cleanser. I like to wash my face with the jergens extra moisturizing liquid hand soap. I know it's a hand soap, but that's a different story. I've been using this stuff now for a month and I'm addicted. I do have oily skin and some reviews says to not use it. I stand incorrect on that statement. I use this stuff at night and put it on before bed. I'll massage the product in my face and onto my neck until the product is fully rubbed in my skin. I'll sleep on it and awake to nice refreshing skin! If you have oily skin, don't let other reviews discourage you from trying this stuff. For $3.27 at Walmart you can't complain... My face instantly changed within a week, my face had less acne and clearing up. After maybe week 3, I was acne free and glowing... I even had strangers give me compliments about my skin. I must say you have to try this stuff! It's inexpensive and you will be wow'd like me!

on 9/13/2017 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This cold cream is fantastic and does an excellent job at removing sunscreen and makeup. I was getting clogged pores/break outs because my cleanser was not sufficient enough to remove everything off of my face. Once I started using this cold cream, my skin has started to clear up again and has become smoother/more radiant.

Each jar is ~$3-$4 and you get a HUGE amount. A jar can last someone for months even with daily use. The consistency is that of a light lotion and very easily spreadable. While working the product around the face, the product melts into an oil that removes all traces of sunscreen and base makeup. The scent is a mix of baby powder/roses so I would caution those who are sensitive to fragrances that it might be quite strong/irritating. Despite having sensitive, reactive, and acne-prone skin, I did not have any issues with the scent or any of the ingredients. It does sting a bit when it gets into the eyes though.

I like to use the cream as part of my double cleansing routine. I first go in with this cold cream to remove any sunscreen and makeup on my face and then follow up with my cleanser. Doing this ensures that I have a completely clean face. I never have any makeup show up on my cotton pad when I apply toner or Bioderma afterwards.

Overall, this is a holy grail product for me. It is an excellent cold cream formula that still resembles the original formulations of cold creams (minimal ingredients, inclusion of borax, etc.) that are hard to come by now. I would highly recommend this product to anyone that is looking for a cheap, effective makeup remover/cold cream. Can't rave enough about this product.