Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

3.9

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Too drying on my dry skin. If dryness is not an issue for you this is a fantastic, subtle brightener. It's finely milled and easy to use. The color disappears into my skin. The LM MUA at Nordstrom advised me to use just a tiny bit over my under eye concealer. Good advice, but this is still just far too drying.

on 6/9/2018 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This was the worst setting powder I have ever used. It settled into my fine lines under my eyes and looked dry. It didn't brighten anything on me, just looked like I applied white power on my face.It look away the pigment of the concealer instead of setting it. Light-reflecting pigment? you mean sparkles? not good
And why a powder does contain so much conservative?3 parabens and bht. Not something I want to have on my under eyes area
The price is outrageous for the amount they give you
Both the secret brightening powder and the translucent loose powder by Laura Mercier are subpar ,overhype and overpriced rubbish

on 8/7/2017 7:59:00 AM

I like this powder, it works well but for the price it's not life changing enough to purchase again.
It has lasted me over a year because I use it sparingly on my under eye area which makes the price easier to swallow but I believe there are cheaper, just as effective, products out there.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm not entirely sure why I ever bought this, but it sat around in a drawer for a long time before I decided to start using up a lot of my unused products. I didn't notice much difference from using this just under my eyes - it's not something I need, apparently, and maybe that's why I never bothered with it. I figured I'd try using it as a setting powder for my foundation just to use it up, and I actually really like it. It's very finely-milled with a very subtle shimmery glow that gives me that "lit from within" look while also making my skin look smoother and more flawless than usual (and my skin's not flawless). It's not too intense but also not super subtle and it may not be for everyone and not for every day, but I do love the look.

on 10/21/2015 11:36:00 AM

NOTHING SPECIAL PEOPLE!!!
I have the ben nye cameo powder and I think it definitely does a better job of concealing and brightening. I seriously think this stuff is just a gimmick and people go for it because of the name and brand.
I really don't think it does much.

Maybe it works for some people? I don't know. I also have the NARS pressed transluscent powder and I think that does a better job. Will be returning this one.

on 9/11/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Despite not really having a valid reason for needing this powder, I use it all the time. My skin is normal (N10), slightly dry on occasion (depending on weather and allergies), and I typically don't have issues with my concealer fading or moving around on my skin. But I love the effect this gives my undereye area. It adds a subtle luminosity and a soft glow without looking cakey or powdery. It's one of those products that I can easily remove from my routine, or replace with a more light reflecting concealer, but at the same time it's such a simple extra step with a lot of payoff so I can't see myself not using it.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.

I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

My HG!

I use this powder to set the various under eye concealers I use and this powder is just perfect! I never have any creasing, white flashback in photos when I use this. I was originally put off by the powder being white because I didn't want it to look ashy; but this powder is just perfect.

The product itself is a finely milled powder, almost like a sifted flour texture, it is very airy and light. It is white with a light sheen/glimmer to it. Once I blend out my concealer I apply this using my damp BB or my pointed Sigma Sigmax brush. I already use the GA orange corrector for my under eye area then conceal but I still want that something extra and this is just what I needed. I like the way this looks better during daytime then using banana colored powders it looks more natural. My under eye make up lasts forever once I set it with this. I also skip my corrector and my concealer will cast a dark shadow under my eye and this helps diffuse that perfectly!

I paid $24 and got 0.14 OZ. it might seem small but I have had mine since Sept.2014 and with daily use I still have a ton of product left. I highly suggest this powder, Its a must have in my book!

on 3/29/2015 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Laura Mercier where have you been all my life?! (Lurking in John Lewis that's where) this product was recommended to me by a kind soul at Clinique in boots after I'd completed a full lap of the makeup counters and come up empty handed.

I was looking for a translucent powder that I could use over my liquid highlighter to stop my mascara smudging on it under my eyes, but one that would not spoil the effect of wearing a highlighter in the first place, what a conundrum!

This works perfectly, it's a very fine loose powder that looks quite sparkly on first inspection but tones down after you apply it, it sets your highlighter or concealer without 'covering' it and is moisturising so it doesn't dry out your eye area.

*TIP after you dip your brush in the powder tap most of it off back into the pot to get rid of excess- you only need a tiny amount, also make sure you use a light touch but do buff in well with a soft, fluffy brush.
Xx

on 2/10/2014 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been through about 3 pots of this product, almost done with my 4th, and I have a backup sitting in my makeup drawer right now. I used to love the Benefit Powderflage, but since it was D/Ced, I have found this to be the next best option. I am not really sure what it is about this partiular powder that works so much better than all of the other siliconey powders I have tried, perhaps it is the pure white tone of #1 (they do sell a #2, for darker skintones). I wear a lot of concealer under my eyes, and this prevents creasing 100% without making my fine lines look dry or extra exaggerated. You really only need a little bit of this to set concealer for all day wear, I really do love it except for one thing...

The shimmer! I am not sure how people do not notice it, but I definitely do in direct, natural, sunlight. Even my SO pointed out that my undereye area was "sparkly." I dab my brush into the pot, and tap tap tap tap tap, so it is not as though I am packing it on. I suppose I will just have to live with this draw-back for now, though if I could find a product without the shimmer and just as good as this I would drop this one in a heart beat. Still, I continue to use it, until I can find something better (I have tried many products and nothing seems to work as well as this).

on 12/6/2013 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say this is a great product if you are under 40. I've used this for years. Always thought I liked it. Helped cover my dark circles and set my under eye makeup. But after a few hours I always think when I look in the mirror that my eyes look more dry, wrinkly and crinkly. So I thought I would try not using this anymore and just use a setting spray. Oh My God!! What a difference! I look like I don't even have under eye wrinkles anymore. It emphasizes wrinkles at any age. I know make artist say to put powder under your eyes to set the makeup, but it's a huge mistake. I look 10 years younger since I stopped using this product. Maybe if you are in your 20's this would be good, but otherwise be careful, if you want to look to look younger. Setting sprays are the best!!!!