Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

on 8/7/2017 7:59:00 AM

I like this powder, it works well but for the price it's not life changing enough to purchase again.
It has lasted me over a year because I use it sparingly on my under eye area which makes the price easier to swallow but I believe there are cheaper, just as effective, products out there.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm not entirely sure why I ever bought this, but it sat around in a drawer for a long time before I decided to start using up a lot of my unused products. I didn't notice much difference from using this just under my eyes - it's not something I need, apparently, and maybe that's why I never bothered with it. I figured I'd try using it as a setting powder for my foundation just to use it up, and I actually really like it. It's very finely-milled with a very subtle shimmery glow that gives me that "lit from within" look while also making my skin look smoother and more flawless than usual (and my skin's not flawless). It's not too intense but also not super subtle and it may not be for everyone and not for every day, but I do love the look.

on 10/21/2015 11:36:00 AM

NOTHING SPECIAL PEOPLE!!!
I have the ben nye cameo powder and I think it definitely does a better job of concealing and brightening. I seriously think this stuff is just a gimmick and people go for it because of the name and brand.
I really don't think it does much.

Maybe it works for some people? I don't know. I also have the NARS pressed transluscent powder and I think that does a better job. Will be returning this one.

on 9/11/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Despite not really having a valid reason for needing this powder, I use it all the time. My skin is normal (N10), slightly dry on occasion (depending on weather and allergies), and I typically don't have issues with my concealer fading or moving around on my skin. But I love the effect this gives my undereye area. It adds a subtle luminosity and a soft glow without looking cakey or powdery. It's one of those products that I can easily remove from my routine, or replace with a more light reflecting concealer, but at the same time it's such a simple extra step with a lot of payoff so I can't see myself not using it.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.

I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 2/10/2014 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been through about 3 pots of this product, almost done with my 4th, and I have a backup sitting in my makeup drawer right now. I used to love the Benefit Powderflage, but since it was D/Ced, I have found this to be the next best option. I am not really sure what it is about this partiular powder that works so much better than all of the other siliconey powders I have tried, perhaps it is the pure white tone of #1 (they do sell a #2, for darker skintones). I wear a lot of concealer under my eyes, and this prevents creasing 100% without making my fine lines look dry or extra exaggerated. You really only need a little bit of this to set concealer for all day wear, I really do love it except for one thing...

The shimmer! I am not sure how people do not notice it, but I definitely do in direct, natural, sunlight. Even my SO pointed out that my undereye area was "sparkly." I dab my brush into the pot, and tap tap tap tap tap, so it is not as though I am packing it on. I suppose I will just have to live with this draw-back for now, though if I could find a product without the shimmer and just as good as this I would drop this one in a heart beat. Still, I continue to use it, until I can find something better (I have tried many products and nothing seems to work as well as this).

on 12/6/2013 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say this is a great product if you are under 40. I've used this for years. Always thought I liked it. Helped cover my dark circles and set my under eye makeup. But after a few hours I always think when I look in the mirror that my eyes look more dry, wrinkly and crinkly. So I thought I would try not using this anymore and just use a setting spray. Oh My God!! What a difference! I look like I don't even have under eye wrinkles anymore. It emphasizes wrinkles at any age. I know make artist say to put powder under your eyes to set the makeup, but it's a huge mistake. I look 10 years younger since I stopped using this product. Maybe if you are in your 20's this would be good, but otherwise be careful, if you want to look to look younger. Setting sprays are the best!!!!

on 4/25/2013 8:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I just got this powder and I already love it. I bought it mainly to set undereye concealer. But this morning I just tested it out by applying it very lightly over my foundation in the T zone. I didn't think anything of it until I got to work just now, and looked in a mirror. OMG my skin looks FLAWLESS. I mean it looks airbrushed! It doesn't take much at all to make your skin look good. I am super pale and I still think it brightened my undereye area. Not really a fan of the packaging, some of it always seem to come out, even after the lid is on tightly. Best product I've bought in a while.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I like this, but it's definitely nothing spectacular. It really does give a noticeable brightening effect when I use it under my eyes, but I only notice it in the first minute after I put it on and after that I forget about it forever. I never notice my Bobbi Brown corrector creasing, so I suppose I can attribute that to using this product, but I can't be sure (maybe I'll try wearing it under one eye and the other without it and do a comparison at the end of the day). I also don't like that it stains my makeup brush a white color, although that's just a minor complaint because it washes out. All in all, this product is alright... expensive, but it does something that none of my other products will do (brighten) so I'll probably continue to buy it. I think this one jar will probably last FOREVER though since you need so little of it. Definitely give it a try though. :)

UPDATE 4/21 - I just wanted to update that I've now switched over completely to using Benefit's Powderflage instead of the Laura Mercier Brightening Powder. I find that the #1 thing I like better about the Powderflage is that it has less of a WHITE look after you put it on. Maybe that sounds weird, but what I mean is that it still lightens and brightens up the under eye area just as well as the Laura Mercier, but since the powder is pink (instead of white) it has more of a natural brightening effect and just doesn't have that white tone to it. I also think it doesn't settle into fine lines quite so much as the Laura Mercier powder. When I use the Powderflage, I see a noticeable difference every time and it's always pleasing. I will most likely swap the Secret Brightening Powder and I will definitely continue using the Powderflage instead.

UPDATE 12/21/13 - Still using the Powderflage regularly as part of my makeup routine and I like it much better than the Laura Mercier brightening powder. Would highly recommend the Benefit Powderflage for this type of product!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is a brightening powder made to set your under eye concealer.
****PROS****
1. This powder sets your under eye concealer and keeps it on all day
2. A little of this powder goes a VERY long way. Just get a tiny bit on your brush, tap off any access and then apply. Use less than you think you'll need.
3. It does brighten your under eye area. If your concealer is a little too dark, this will lighten it a little and make it brighter
4. This powder doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other (refer to cons below)
5. Is pretty reasonably priced considering it will lst you a long time!
6. The little jar is handy for traveling and storing
7. Comes in 2 shades; 1 and 2. I have #1 (I am NC15)
8. One reason I like to use this powder, is to stop my mascara from transfering on to my under eye area. Whenever I put concealer on under my eyes, and then put mascara on, the mascara always leaves black smudges under my eyes (because the oils and moisture in my concealer causes the mascara to smudge). This Laura Mercier Powder stops my mascara from transferring on to my under eye are (not just this powder, any powder will do the trick).
****CONS****
1. Now, this is still a powder. Even though I said that this 'doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other powder does', it still does do those things! It's a powder! What is a powder supposed to do, if you think about it? Absorb access oils and moisture, etc. This is still a powder. So it will absorb access moisture under your eye, causing it to dry and crease. Less than other powders, but still. If you think about it, all anti-aging foundations or foundations for mature skin are moisturizing and dewy instead of being drying and oil absorbing, because wrinkles and fine lines are less visible when the skin is moisturized and hydrated rather than dry. So the drier the skin (and any powder including this one will make your skin drier), the more your fine lines will be visible. When I just put this powder on, it looks flawless and creaseless and amazing. As the day goes on, it does crease and dry my under eye area out (I know because I tested this stuff out under one eye but not under the other). This doesn't crease as much because it contains silica I think (which helps it not crease)
2. You can see little shimmer particles in the powder. Some people say that the shimmer in this powder is so finely milled that you can't see the shimmer particles, but you definitely can. If you look closely, under sunlight after you apply this powder, you can see little shimmers. So it's not just a glow, it's shimmer (I would prefer more of just the glow rather than the shimmer particles)
3. This powder is white and contains silica, so be careful not to apply too much under your eyes or it will flash back white (like the makeup forever HD powder, just not as extreme as that one). Only use a tiny bit of this powder!
****APPLICATION TIPS****
1. I use the brush that Laura Mercier recommends for this (the camouflage powder brush or something). It looks like a mini foundation brush. It's the perfect size and shape for your under eye area
2. Apply this powder RIGHT AFTER you apply your under eye concealer. Do not do the rest of your face/eyes first, put on your under eye concealer, smooth out any fine lines that are visible (I do this with the beauty blender), and pat this powder on. I find if I wait to put this powder on, my under eye area is much drier looking than if I put this on straight away
3. While the jar is closed, turn the Jar upside down once (so that powder goes on to the lid). Then turn it the right way, and tap the lid (so that access powder falls back in to the main jar.
4. With your brush (and I do recommend a brush for this), get a tiny bit of powder from the lid (so that you don't get too much).
5. Then tap off any access powder (just tap your brush against the lid a couple of times so that the access powder falls back in to the lid). This will ensure that you don't use too much powder.
6. This is optional, but I also like to pat the brush with the side of the powder a couple of times on the back of my hand (to further get rid of any access powder)
7. When applying this powder, PAT it on. Do not sweep or blend.
8. Start applying it in the area where you have the least amount of fine lines/wrinkles. I recommend starting on the outer corner of your under eye area (part near your temples) You want to apply the least amount of product near your inner corners and around that part of your eye as you want that to be as non cakey and non dry as possible. (when someone looks in to your eyes, they will see the inner part of your eye more than the outer). So start applying on the outer corner and work your way to the inner corners
This gives the best result for me(and I have tried a lot of ways)
****BOTTOM LINE****
I still gave this powder 4 stars because it works better than any other powder I have ever used under my eyes (I have tried loose powder, translucent powder, pressed powders, powder foundations etc.)Everything looks FAR, FAR worse under my eyes than this does. I'm not stupid, I realize that this is a powder, and despite being made for under your eyes and despite being brightening, it will still do what powders were invented to do. So as far as a powder goes, this does deserve 4 stars in terms of being a great under eye powder! I don't use this stuff too often because I use a waterproof concealer under my eyes, so I don't necessarily need my under eye concealer to last longer. I probably would re-purchase it, just because if I ever switch concealers or need to use a powder under my eyes (maybe if I don't use such a long wearing concealer), this is the only powder I will ever turn to. I recommend it to anyone who has troubles with their concealer lasting. I think it would work better for people with oily skin rather than dry skin though. If you need an under eye powder, try this. Just keep in mind th

on 9/24/2011 9:49:00 PM

I felt it emphasized my fine lines and pores more so.