Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2Secret Brightening Powder

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I just bought my 3rd one of the #2 powder. I don't think I can use anything else to set my under eye concealer. The sifter is tricky because it dispenses a whole lot of product when you only need a teeny bit. To apply, I use a fluffy brush to pat it on and then sweep off any excess to avoid it from settling in my fine lines.
It definitely does brighten the eye area and doesn't flash back stark white in photos. The price is fair because one jar will last for about a year with everyday use. Totally worth it, IMO.

on 6/24/2010 12:49:00 AM

I have this powder in #2. It is very light cream shade of powder with tiny sparkles in it. This was the shade recommended to me as I have warm toned skin (MAC C4/C5). The powder is very finely milled, too fine to really stop any smudging of mascara you might get if you use under your brows. Did it brighten my very dark circles? No, every time I use this powder it somehow manages to make my dark circles look even darker than how they appeared before I applied my concealer and my undereye area appears to look more sunken than when I use normal face powder on top. I think it must be because the shade of the powder is just too insepid for my colouring which has a fair amount of yellow in it anyway. I'm not sure if I'm right about this but my hunch is if you are someone who suits a white shirt more than an ivory one (try it, one will lift your face much more) then it could be that no #1 is better for you. If it then makes the undereye area look too light, you can always go over it with a very light dusting of bronzing powder.
P.S: Don't apply this between the lower eyelid and the orbital bone, it looks strange in the middle of the summer - I tried it and I did.

on 12/1/2011 8:33:00 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I love the effect it gives under my eyes and it sets my concealer really well. However, the powder is so fine that it sometimes creeps up my bottom eye lashes and gets into my eyes. This causes eye dryness and vision blurriness. I have to be overly careful when applying. The pot will probably last a really long time but I don't think I'll re-purchase.

I was looking for an undereye brightener but was in a fix because I hate the way concealers look on me (like foundations, it is so difficult to get a shade that would match my skin perfectly. I also dislike how they would cake up under my eyes and make me look horrible close up). I was leaning towards Bobbi Brown's Eye Brightener, but even that didn't work for me. I have been using YSL Touche Eclat for that purpose with reasonable success but I didn't like that when used daily, it would give me milia. So anyway when I finished my last tube of Touch Eclat I thought I'd take a break from it and try this powder. I tried it at the store but for some reasom although it didn't wow me then, I did part with my money and take a pot of this powder home (in shade #2).

When I got home and put it on the following few days, I thought 'What was I thinking? I should have bought another Touch Eclat pen' but today - after much crying all night (a tiff with the SO) I woke up with puffy undereyes. I had a lunch meeting today that I couldn't escape, so I put on my eye makeup as usual and dusted a bit of the BP under my eyes and then like magic my puffed up undereyes disappeared!

It does it so subtly you don't know what hit you, but you know that when it's not there your reddened puffy undereyes would be so obvious.

I don't know how else to describe it, I don't know how it works, but this will be a staple in my MU bag from now on. Oh and a big plus is that it doesn't give me milia!

ETA: I hate the packaging though - it should have a sliding shaker cover to close the holes which are so big I have to scotch tape all but one hole - and even then a lot of powder can leak out.

UPDATE: I really like how this powder brightens my undereye area in photos. No reverse panda effect at all. ♥

A little of this powder is all it takes! This is a very white powder and it is fine with whichever concealer I use under my eyes. I could have written the review below me. I have hereditary dark circles. People always say that I look like I need more sleep if I do not apply concealer. I could sleep all day and drink tons of water, but the dark circles remain.

When I apply this powder, I use the Nars 13 large dome brush. It picks up just the right amount of powder on its fluffy bristles. If you put on too much, the powder is no longer "Secret."

This tub lasts forever because so little is used. Doubt if I'll need a replacement for more than a year, but I will restock when the day comes.

See my notepad for my current concealer favorites.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Worth the price. Held my concealer through heavy crying on multiple occasions. No discernible texture. Brightens. Smooths away edges of eyeshadow in a photoshopped sort of haze.

on 9/29/2015 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I went to the LM in hopes of getting the regular translucent powder for setting my concealer and to start trying the "baking" technique. I was disappointed to find out that it was out of stock but the lady somehow managed to convince me into getting the Secret brightening powder for my under eyes and said that the other would be super dry. Now over all, the product is nice, but what I don't like about it is that is contains glitter. I would not repurchase this product because I'm planning to get the regular translucent powder

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I frickin love this product! This is my new powder to set my under eyes with! It doesn't leave a white cast and doesn't crease or settle into fine lines. I apply this with either a damp beauty blender or a fluffy brush, like a mac 224. Definitely would repurchase!

Edit (9/24/13):
I use this over Mac's pro longwear concealer. I apply with a real techniques setting brush. No matter what foundation shade I'm in, this goes perfectly with whatever color I am. Definitely would still repurchase!!

1/30/15: I finally finished the pot!! Bought second one already. This is my HG setting powder for under eye concealer.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

This is one of my all time favorite makeup products. If you love under eye brightening then you will die over this.

Laura Mercier makes a partner product with this which is the secret under eye brightening pen.

The idea is that you use the pen first, which is clickable - which then disperses product onto a brush applicator. I will do a separate review on this, but basically I'm not the hugest fan. I hate those applicators, I think they eat product - but you can read my full review on that product elsewhere.

The brightening powder is unlike any other. If you LOVE the under eye brightening you see on the red carpet and in photo shoots, I gauruntee this is the product the MUA is using. It photographs beautifully and just looks amazing.

It's a loose powder, so tricky packaging. I'm not sure what it is about the packaging, but my lid never sits tight enough so I know I've lost product from that - also be careful about laying it on it's side, I definitely get fallout on the rest of my product. Saying this, the longevity of this product is AMAZING! I've easily had mine for a year and a half, use it about 2-3 times a week, and I still have so much left over. I predict I'll need to purchase a new one in maybe 6 more months. So 2 years lifespan on a product is amazing!! The price - whatever it is, I don't remember is totally worth it.

I recommend this product to all my friends and family - it's my secret weapon!

on 9/26/2011 5:24:00 PM

I don't know how this works but it does. After concealing my mild dark circles, a light sweep of this under my eyes with the Laura Mercier mini-fan brush just brightens up the face. I use the #2 as I am a NC30/C4 light tan Asian gal. For the rest of my face (usually just T-zone) I dust with her Invisible Setting Powder or my MUFE HD Powder. But for under the eyes? I ONLY use this Brightening Powder. I am a believer; it really makes a difference and makes me look awake and vibrant!