Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2Secret Brightening Powder

4.2

on 12/1/2018 2:30:00 PM

I've been using this product for a few years and I really like it. However, I had decided that the price $28 was getting a little steep (starting from $24 when I first bought it). So, I tried Sephora Collection Amplifying Concealing Powder which is bigger and $16. Great deal, right? I was so proud of myself of saving money. Well, I found again you get what you pay for!
Just to let you older gals know, as I'm one of you, I would NEVER put powder under my eyes except close to the lash line. It's going to make your undereye area look wrinkled, plain and simple! You want to keep that area bright and moist. That's what I do and i'm 73! Not saying I look 20 years younger, and I don't have to look like a young kid, but I want to look "well preserved". This Laura Mercier sets my eyelids when I use MAC prolongwear paint pot in soft ochre, then LM, then a highlighter shadow. I have deep set eyes. So, there you are! I'm returning the Sephora one and replacing it with the LM powder.

Oof the price on this is steep considering the size of that tiny jar (compared to the whopping full size of the translucent powder). But this stuff is just perfect as a setting powder under the eyes.

I own LM's translucent setting powder and using that to bake left me looking cake-y and too matte. The creasing was significant and gave me 100 year old eyes (no offense to the lovely centenarians out there!). This powder has just enough light reflecting particles that it brightens and doesn't look cake-y (to be fair the SA at Sephora told me not to get the translucent powder but I didn't listen; don't make the same mistake!).

The secret to using this to bake & set under the eyes is too use a beauty blender type sponge to apply, carefully rolling and pressing this powder in. Let sit and then brush away with a powder brush. I use this with YSL All Hours concealer and foundation and it looks incredibly flawless and natural and even hours of wear, there's no creasing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Too drying on my dry skin. If dryness is not an issue for you this is a fantastic, subtle brightener. It's finely milled and easy to use. The color disappears into my skin. The LM MUA at Nordstrom advised me to use just a tiny bit over my under eye concealer. Good advice, but this is still just far too drying.

on 6/17/2018 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've really been enjoying this powder for the last two months. At first I pulled off the whole protective cover and way too much came out. If you did so as well just cover half of the holes with duct tape.

I like the simple packaging and just dab a small amount right after applying concealer with a MAC 246 brush which I keep specifically for that purpose.

I really like the smoothness it leaves behind, doesn't look cakey and brightens the undereye area. It's still a powder though and don't think it can decrease the appearance of fine lines. Also the amount is rather small so it comes expensive overall. Still works better than anything else I've tried and will repurchase.

on 6/9/2018 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This was the worst setting powder I have ever used. It settled into my fine lines under my eyes and looked dry. It didn't brighten anything on me, just looked like I applied white power on my face.It look away the pigment of the concealer instead of setting it. Light-reflecting pigment? you mean sparkles? not good
And why a powder does contain so much conservative?3 parabens and bht. Not something I want to have on my under eyes area
The price is outrageous for the amount they give you
Both the secret brightening powder and the translucent loose powder by Laura Mercier are subpar ,overhype and overpriced rubbish

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

Way too expensive for what it is!!!4 grammes of low quality talc for 30 us dollars come on!!
Laura Mercier is a brand I wanted to like cause the creator is a French woman like me
Unfortunately I m not thrilled at by her products
The powder is very fine but unfortunately it's very drying and make the under eye wrinkly
The formula contains too much parabens for something who is supposed to be applied on the fragile under eye zone
If you want a talc and silica based formula to set your concealer go for the rcma no color powder
So much superior in every aspect

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am mid-40s with crepey undereyes and severe hereditary dark circles that are exacerbated by bad sleep and anemia. I have tried every concealer known to (wo)mankind with no success. I have been told that the only thing that can fix my circles is injectibles but I am chicken because I've heard the bruising in that area can be awful. Oh and also: it costs $1200 USD for the magical undereye injectibles at my derm's office. Which brings me to this powder - my last-ditch attempt to improve the appearance of undereyes that are aging me by 10 years. The only positive I can say about this product is that it is extremely finely milled and contains no obvious sparkles so it does feel high-end. The list of cons is much longer:
- This is not cheap and comes in a teeny little pot. You get almost no product for around $30 USD
- I expected this to brighten my purple circles because Secret BRIGHTENING Powder. This brightens nothing. It mattifies, like any other translucent powder. Nothing secret about that.
- I tried this several different ways - on top of just primer, on top of three different concealers, on top of foundation only, by itself - and it collected in fine lines and highlighted wrinkles like nobody's business.

In a nutshell, this costs a small fortune and rather than diffusing the purple circles, it just made the lines worse. After five failed attempts, I gave up and returned it. Back to considering injectibles.....

on 8/7/2017 7:59:00 AM

I like this powder, it works well but for the price it's not life changing enough to purchase again.
It has lasted me over a year because I use it sparingly on my under eye area which makes the price easier to swallow but I believe there are cheaper, just as effective, products out there.

on 8/5/2017 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Maybe I just got a particularly glitter-y batch but I find the micro-glitter in this product to be excessive and far too visible, drawing attention to my under eyes instead of doing what all good concealing makeup should do and making them blend with the rest of my face for a natural look.

If the micro glitter wasn't there, this would be a great product. It does brighten up the under eye (and then some, see comment re: glitter bonanza), blends fairly well (I use a damp beauty blender to apply) and stays in place with minimal creasing.

The packaging could be better (and feel less cheap) but is functional.

I would not buy this again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm somewhat indifferent to the full face version of this but this under eye powder is simply the best thing to happen to my eyes!!! I have extremely bad under eye circles and have used every recommended corrector, concealer, potion, and powder from ludicrously high end to high street and this is without doubt the best. A tiny amount of product covers even my worst dark circles, never looks caked, and never creases. Yes, it is expensive for an under eye powder given so many come in kits already, but nothing compares to this! The only drawback is that so much comes out from one tap of the lid; but given this isn't something to carry on the go and the lid is so secure it's not really an issue. An instant Holy Grail product I already worry what I will do if they EVER discontinue this!