Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Filtered by age: 25-29
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

I've been using this product for about a year and half .. i must say it deserves HG status for me. Being a makeup artist, i use this only as highlighter, especially under my eyes. A very little amount of product goes a long way. It may not appear much when you look at the mirror, but once you take a picture - your eyes really pop out! if you apply too much product, in the picture, you will appear to have a stripe of white under your eyes. I use Cle de Peau concealer or Bobbi Brown concealer pot, then afterwards, use LM Secret brightening powder on top of it to seal and highlight it.

I guess you will really appreciate this product when you see your face in pictures. For normal day use, you will appreciate how even the creamiest undereye concealers stay all day long. LM brightening powder is also a must have if you tend to do the smoky eye look or any dark eye look. It cleans up the whole undereye area.

I've been using this practically every single day for almost 2 years and i'm still using 1 pot!

on 8/5/2012 2:36:00 AM

Can't live without this. Its light-reflecting properties and finely-milled consistency make this one of the most versatile products in my arsenal. I use this to set undereye concealer - works better than Powderflage, which can cake at times - as well as an understated highlighter on my cheekbones. This contains no shimmer, no glitter, no shine; it just reflects light. It reminds me of granules of sand at the beach, except it's obviously not as coarse and it's white. The white color is virtually undetectable upon application, but it literally performs as the title suggests: it brightens. After I apply just a dab of concealer to the very darkest areas beneath my eye, I use the pointed end of a dry BeautyBlender to lightly press the Brightening Powder into the concealer to set and brighten. Then I use the larger end of the BeautyBlender to very lightly dust away whatever excess product remains for a totally flawless application. This is the only product and method I've found that lasts throughout the day while completely eradicating the look of undereye puffiness. Doesn't dry my skin and seems to blur my fine lines. And you know that awful magnetic force that pulls eyeliner to concealer? Not here. The Secret Brightening Powder forms some kind of impenetrable barrier over concealer. It's the only undereye product I can count on to stay put, even sitting alongside black eyeliner. There's nothing else like this stuff.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I like this product, but I consider it to be a sort of optional "extra" - I don't use it every time I do my makeup, and I don't typically take it with me when I travel because I get along fine without it, and it takes up space in my makeup bag.

Personally, in terms of setting concealer, I don't notice a big difference between this and LM's translucent setting powder (which I consider a staple of my makeup collection). BUT I enjoy using it for setting my under-eye concealer because of the brightening factor.
I imagine that when I am older and fine lines are more of a factor, I won't be able to use the translucent powder under my eyes anymore, and this product will probably become more important to me (reputedly, it will not settle into fine lines, whereas the translucent powder can).

I appreciate this product most when my under-eye circles are worse than usual, so I imagine that people who really struggle to cover their dark circles might find this to be a really great product.

I have tried to use this for setting concealer on other parts of my face (covering redness or blemishes) and I don't like the effect - I can tell that I've added white powder. (Instead I use the translucent powder).
I've tried to use this like a highlighter with modest success, but the effect is very subtle. If I've got it out, I'll dust it on my cheekbones, but usually I don't bother.

In short, I don't use it that much, but I expect to use it more as I age. I imagine it would be good for those trying to cover darkness, or who have problems with powder settling into fine lines.

Oh! one last thing - if you apply concealer and it just looks a bit too dark (because you've lost your tan, or the color's not quite right for you), this can make up that little bit of difference to get it looking just right. That's the only time when I use it to set non-eye concealer.

on 10/21/2015 11:36:00 AM

NOTHING SPECIAL PEOPLE!!!
I have the ben nye cameo powder and I think it definitely does a better job of concealing and brightening. I seriously think this stuff is just a gimmick and people go for it because of the name and brand.
I really don't think it does much.

Maybe it works for some people? I don't know. I also have the NARS pressed transluscent powder and I think that does a better job. Will be returning this one.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I like this, but it's definitely nothing spectacular. It really does give a noticeable brightening effect when I use it under my eyes, but I only notice it in the first minute after I put it on and after that I forget about it forever. I never notice my Bobbi Brown corrector creasing, so I suppose I can attribute that to using this product, but I can't be sure (maybe I'll try wearing it under one eye and the other without it and do a comparison at the end of the day). I also don't like that it stains my makeup brush a white color, although that's just a minor complaint because it washes out. All in all, this product is alright... expensive, but it does something that none of my other products will do (brighten) so I'll probably continue to buy it. I think this one jar will probably last FOREVER though since you need so little of it. Definitely give it a try though. :)

UPDATE 4/21 - I just wanted to update that I've now switched over completely to using Benefit's Powderflage instead of the Laura Mercier Brightening Powder. I find that the #1 thing I like better about the Powderflage is that it has less of a WHITE look after you put it on. Maybe that sounds weird, but what I mean is that it still lightens and brightens up the under eye area just as well as the Laura Mercier, but since the powder is pink (instead of white) it has more of a natural brightening effect and just doesn't have that white tone to it. I also think it doesn't settle into fine lines quite so much as the Laura Mercier powder. When I use the Powderflage, I see a noticeable difference every time and it's always pleasing. I will most likely swap the Secret Brightening Powder and I will definitely continue using the Powderflage instead.

UPDATE 12/21/13 - Still using the Powderflage regularly as part of my makeup routine and I like it much better than the Laura Mercier brightening powder. Would highly recommend the Benefit Powderflage for this type of product!

on 10/29/2007 5:45:00 PM

Full Size Image
(before and after photo)

HG eye concealer setting powder. No matter what concealer I use..this stuff goes over it.. Other powders that Ive used to set my eye concealer might look ok at first, but always made my eye area look all creepy after a few hours, not this stuff.
Im N20/25 from MAC sometimes higher if I self tan. It sets my concealer with no creases and helps brightens up the inner eye area. I also use concealer on my eye lid area, and set it with this powder. If I'm in a hurry, this is all I use besides mascara and a little tightliner. I also apply eye cream and let it set in before i apply any concealer or powder.

Full Size Image

this is the brush I use but I would recommend the one LM sells too. I gently press and smooth in. maybe gently blend a bit.

I cant imagine this being good to use all over your face..just the eye area

on 1/21/2014 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

This is the makeup equivalent of an instagram filter. I put the tiniest amount on a fluffy powder brush, sweep across my under eyes, cheekbones and forehead and it seriously makes you glow. Sometimes I even put it all over my face, though it's probably best to leave that for night time as it is a teensy bit shimmery in the sunlight (doesn't bother me personally). I've never used a setting powder that perfects my foundation so well. Even when I haven't slept, and my face really shows it, it works as a pick me up (admittedly not as well but well enough). I have actually tried using baby powder (it looked ashy and yuck on me), chanels translucent powder , and e.l.fs HD powder (which is a great, cheap dupe for this), but LMs is my HG. The packaging is a little annoying; spill-y and finicky, and the price is ok. It could be cheaper, but I wish everything was cheaper. I believe it's worth the price, one pot lasts me forever and I am a pretty heavy makeup user. It also does not break my whingey acne-prone skin out.

on 5/5/2010 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

i recently wrote a review for Mally's Eye Light Powder which is a white/translucent pressed powder that's made to set your undereye concealer and to help brighten the area. i adore that product, and would have kept using it except for the fact that i used it up and was desperate for something to set my concealer with and didn't have the time to wait for Mally's powder to be shipped to me from QVC-- hence, i bought this LM Secret Brightening Powder in Shade 1. although i really, really loved the Mally Powder and the fact that it's less expensive than the LM powder (minus the shipping and handling; if you add the s&h it's basically equal in price), i actually found that i like this Secret Brightening Powder a little bit better. although they both set your concealer without altering it's color, the LM SBP seems to look even less visible than Mally's powder and brightens the undereye area slightly more for me. it also definitely keeps my concealer (Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer at the moment, but i switch around a lot) looking just-applied-fresh much longer than Mally's powder. i actually cannot BELIEVE how amazingly fresh the LM SBP keeps my concealer; when i go to wash my face at 10 pm it looks EXACTLY the same as it did when i applied it at 9 am. that is impressive!!! there is a *slight* luminescence to this SBP, but it's not something i would describe as shimmer, and it's not noticeable once you've been wearing it for a little while. another reason i prefer this SBP over Mally's powder is the fact that since this powder is loose, it applies more finely than Mally's pressed version, and also when i was using Mally's pressed Eye Bright powder it always developed those hard spots on the surface from moisture that i would have to scrape off, thus wasting product. loose powders are always messy to deal with and my remedy to this (like many other people) is to only leave a few of the holes open for the loose powder to come out of. i just leave the sticker covering about 85% of the holes so that only a small amount of product will come out when i tip the jar over. i love the super, super, super finely milled texture of this SBP so much that i've been using a sample of Shade 2 (slightly more flesh-toned than Shade 1 which is a bright white) as a regular translucent setting powder all over my face! it's that undetectable and wonderful for me! but today i purchased LM's Translucent Setting powder to use for that purpose so hopefully it will work as well. although this SBP is a bit pricey, i'm sure it will last for atleast a year because you only need a tiny amount, and it's well worth the $22 to me because of how well it performs.

on 9/2/2007 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok I'm going to start of by saying that I didn't have really high exepctations for this product. I just happened to be wandering around Nordie's and was playing around in the makeup area.

Recently I have developed some darkness under my eyes and was thinking about trying something to hide them - more or less looking for an excuse to buy more makeup. The LM counter caught my eye and the SA dabbed on some Secret Concelear and put the Brightening Powder on top...and I immediatly fell in love. I adore the "Bright Eye'd" look underneath the eyes that seems pretty populare these days and this gave me just that. Woke my face up and even on those really bad mornings this does the trick to make everyone think that I have had a great nights sleep. I think the trick to avoiding "settling" into the not so good areas under the eye is to go easy with the product. The SA told me about five times NOT to over do it and just use a very small amount to get the effect needed. She was right...because those few time that I got overzealous the powder did settle into my lines.

on 8/5/2017 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Maybe I just got a particularly glitter-y batch but I find the micro-glitter in this product to be excessive and far too visible, drawing attention to my under eyes instead of doing what all good concealing makeup should do and making them blend with the rest of my face for a natural look.

If the micro glitter wasn't there, this would be a great product. It does brighten up the under eye (and then some, see comment re: glitter bonanza), blends fairly well (I use a damp beauty blender to apply) and stays in place with minimal creasing.

The packaging could be better (and feel less cheap) but is functional.

I would not buy this again.