Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer
Color comparison for MAC NC30 / NC35The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.2

Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Beeswax, Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance. May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77491).

Skin: Very Dry, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This has got to be the cakiest concealer on the market. So why, as a lover of thin, watery, barely-there concealer, is this my favorite concealer?

1. This concealer is dominating. I am sure you have never heard a concealer described like that. In fact, it's not even a feature I could even dream about in a concealer. So, what does that even mean? Once this concealer is applied, it can beautify any foundation and simply dominate the beauty of the foundation. Usually the base (foundation) creates the strength of the overall look, but this concealer can dominate my most powerful foundations. So, you ask again, but what does that mean? Basically this concealer makes everything else fade into the background and becomes the beauty of the look.

2. This concealer is transformative. I basically call it skin in a jar. Do you want brand new skin? I mean, do you? Well, here you go. But seriously, it strongly enhances the appearance of your skin. Not that I was ever after that effect when I was in search of concealers (since I like natural makeup), but I could never have imagined such a profound effect. Somehow it powerfully beautifies your facial features and still looks like skin.

3. This concealer is a workhorse. It isn't going anywhere. It is the only concealer I have encountered that does not need setting powder to stay on all day and yet still looks even better than it started.

4. This concealer looks even better with time and makes any foundation look better with time. Whatever it does, the foundation follows.

5. This concealer is emollient. While the consistency is thick and hyper-full coverage, it is smooth, creamy, dewy, radiant and hydrating, etc, which are often at great odds. If a thick concealer has all these great qualities, it is normally super matte in order to make it long-lasting. They have somehow managed to create all of these lovely qualities in a creamy concealer that stays creamy, comfortable and loving to the skin. What makes it marvelous is the consistency/texture allows it to work beautifully with all skin types.

6. This concealer is hyper-pigmented and you literally need a dot to do the entire face. This concealer can last as long as you want it to because so little goes a long way.

7. This concealer is easy to apply. It blends like a dream and melts into the skin when using your fingers.

8. This concealer wipes away all imperfections. The color correction in it eliminates all darkness/discoloration in your skin better than any concealer I have ever seen.

9. This concealer is radiant. No product currently on the market (foundation or concealer) is as radiant as this product. It brightens your face exponentially.

10. This concealer has high foundation compatibility. It works/pairs with most foundations easily, especially because it is usually the major effect in the look ultimately.This means that you can buy this concealer blindly and likely it will work with whichever foundation you already have.

Where this concealer is lacking is in versatility. It is too thick as an eyeshadow base, eyebrow sculpt and spot treatment. It isn't as impressive worn as a foundation. As under-eye concealer (with or without foundation) though it is foolproof and it's the best I have seen. I especially love this concealer paired with Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation. This concealer creates a glamorous look for everyday and any day.

It may be a thick concealer but the blendability, consistency, ease-of-application, color correction, skin-enhancing effects, skincare properties, brightening effects, pigmentation, lasting performance, foundation compatibility, overpowering beautifying effects, long-lasting product, etc.....clearly, the list goes on and on. You pay for much and get much more. It is called a sensual skin-enhancer and it makes your skin look simply irresistible.

on 10/29/2018 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

As a concealer for under eyes and to cover up my acne scars on cheeks, there is nothing better. It is very full coverage, covering up my dark red acne scars and undereye circles with just a tiny bit of product. I use a q tip to scoop a little bit out and put undereyes and on spots then use a damp BB to blend/pat into skin. The result is skin-like yet full coverage. I didn’t give this 5 lippies only because it does transfer even when I set with powder so I have to be careful not to touch my face. As a foundation, I absolutely hated this but once I tried just as a concealer I fell in love. For those looking to try sse as a foundation, be forewared it sits on top of the skin so it transfers like crazy. I mixed it with primer and used alone and while the result was flawless skin, it never really sunk into my skin so it slipped everywhere. As a concealer though used sparingly, it is truly incredible. SX07 is a good match for my nc20 skin tone.

on 10/9/2018 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product is legendary and I had a great color match, so I splurged on it and... regretted it. I tried incredibly hard to get this enhancer to work (mixing it with all sorts of lotions and mediums, applying it with different tools, etc.) but it had two major flaws. One, regardless of what I mixed it with, it kept emphasizing peach fuzz and skin texture that I didn't know I had. Two, it broke me out. I would be very cautious about using this product if you are acne-prone like me.

The pigmentation is truely awesome though, so I hope other people can get it to work.

on 5/14/2018 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Interesting and frustrating product. Liked the idea of a very pigmented cream foundation that spreads out for a natural yet buildable coverage that does not look dry or cakey on my mature, sensitive skin. Saw it being recommended by a Youtuber who recommended it as the perfect full coverage, natural foundation for mature skin. So, My first mistake is how I picked out the color. I went to Sephora and swatched it. Thought that the SX08 would work with my NC45 skin. Boy, was I wrong. I got that little pot home, used a tiny (1/2 pea size) drop spread it over my face and looked like a yellow ghost. It turns out that the product is so heavily pigmented is looks much darker in the pot and still much darker in a swatch then when it is spread all over the face. So, I then researched it on line and found some very good color indexes to follow. Turns out that SX11 or 12 are closer to my NC 45 color. So, I got SX11. Much better color match but I find it difficult to spread (I tried with several brushes, including one for this foundation by the same brand, fingers and sponge.). But, I was not ready to give up on this yet. So, after some experimentation, I found that the best, and easiest way for me to use this is to take a tiny amount (like size of a pen head) mix with sheer foundation (I am using it with Mac Face & Body, but also good with Flower Illuminating foundation, BB and CC creams). It ads coverage, but no heaviness at all. It is a perfect way to take my sheer-medium foundations and make them more full coverage. The foundation looks dewy and fresh but it has very good coverage. The little jar costs $48 USD and is at Sephora, and all drugstores. It looks like a lot of money for the tiny pot but it will last a very long time given the tiny amount you need to apply. This took a lot of work to make it usable, but I do like the result. I will also try mixing with lotion and/or sun block for summer. I deducted some lippies for the work that went into this but would recommend for its versatility and good results on skin.

OMG. Stop everything! I bought this off the back of the reviews below and I would personally hug you all if I could. This product is AMAZING! I already have a number of Levyn Aucoin products but somehow the steep price tag for a tiny pot seemed too much. Untill one day I went a little crazy and next thing I know I've binged in Bobbi Brown, MAC and SpaceNK. Oops. A little goes such a long way and the product blends really well. My gripe with the fluid foundation is that it sticks to dry patches really badly but I find this doesnt at all. Used alone with some moisturiser it provides medium coverage buildable to full and as a concealer it works wonders. Life will never be the same again. It will be better.

on 12/11/2017 1:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

Gah. I hate the fact I love this. It’s in a tiny pot and costs the earth but... I use the tiniest, most minute amount and buff it all over my face and my face looks awesome. Does not sink into wrinkles, coverage can be built upon from sheer to full and it feels just lovely on my skin. Gah. I even purchased a backup, it’s that good.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I really wanted this to be a Holy Grail product. Luckily - as I'm not a big user of skin make-up and I wasn't sure about the correct shade for me, I ordered a couple of samples n various shades off CRC ( a great site for this purpose - wish they had more of a sample collection).

It's thick and kinda hard to apply. But worst of all, it doesn't seem to cover these large grey patches I have on the sides of my face. I find that my Bare Minerals serum foundation does a better job of covering spots even though its so thin.

If you want to try this and don't have access to a store, I suggest you buy the sample size of Camera Ready Cosmetics. That alone will last you months as you need to use such little product every time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have combo skin and this concealer is the best out there, hands down. I pat it on my hand before putting on in my under eye area and it looks beautiful. Nothing else compares.

It lasts all day and doesn't settle in my fine lines. It does not look cakey either!

on 11/14/2016 5:09:00 AM

I have this in SX04, this works for me, I'm NC20. Looks quite dark and yellow in the pot, but when applied it goes much lighter. I think it's because it's super pigmented that it looks darker, due to the concentration of pigment. I would re-purchase this, though I don't wear it that often. This stuff is crazy pigmented and covers any hyper-pigmentation or skin discoloration. I don't have acne, but if I have an occasional pimple that leaves discoloration, this stuff is the best by far to cancel it. Luckily, it doesn't break me out, since I'm prone to breaking out from foundations. For daily cover ups for small discolorations, I use the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, more simple to use. You can use this as an under eye concealer, but you have to be careful and use only a tiny bit and then work it in until it blends, or mixed with moisturizer as a TM, but I am always in a hurry in the morning, so I don't want to have to work another step into my routine. Overall, I would buy it again, I feel like i need to have at least one very high coverage concealer in my life, but this will probably last me 10 years (wonder when you should toss it, I've already had it for at least 1 year and a half and it's still almost full). I think it's good value for the money, it's 18g/0,63oz, but if you were to use this as foundation and mix it with TM, I think you'd easily make at least 250ml of foundation, as you only need a pinch of this to cover your entire face, so this is probably the cheapest high end foundation/TM. I'm not a fan of the jar packaging, but don't know if there would be another alternative, this stuff is too thick to put in a pump.

on 11/14/2016 4:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I'm not sure why I didn't try this over a decade ago when I was obsessed with his brush collection. I think, maybe, back then he didn't have nearly as many colors and I don't remember seeing many good reviews...

I wish I had. I might not have wasted so much money on foundations that break me out, don't give nearly as much coverage, and don't quite match my skin.

This has the best coverage of any foundation I have ever used hands down (and, I've tried 75% of high end foundations that are available in my shade). But, because you need such a tiny amount, it manages to cover a multitude of sin while still looking pretty natural and not cakey at all unless you cake it on.

I am annoyed that, as usual, I have to mix 2 shades to get my perfect color ($100 after taxes). This is so common for me that I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy against golden tan people with slight olive undertones and golden/yellow warmth like myself... Every one seems to have a shade that is a little too light with the perfect undertone, and one that is a little too dark and/or warm - always a giant leap up with gaps in between where my complexion falls. I feel neglected. I digress...

I HATE THE FRAGRANCE! I HATE FRAGRANCE IN ANYTHING FOR MY FACE! But, I tolerate it in this for results... Fragrance free would be much better!

I am 60% SX 11 (a touch too light and needs a little more warmth) and 40% or less SX 12 (a touch too dark and a little too warm)... Mixed, they work like a dream. I also mix SX 11 with my NARS Luminous Foundation in Tahoe with similar results. I'm planning to try mixing it with oils and creams as well. I like the finish much more than Cover FX Custom Cover Drops. The finish is much more skin-like.

For reference, I am:

MAC - NC42/43/44 (depending on the formula)
Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick - Golden Natural/Warm & Golden Honey (mixed/center/perimeter)
NARS Weightless - Stromboli & Tahoe Mix
Becca - Bamboo (slightly too yellow)
Kat Von D - Medium 62 (too warm)
Black Up Full Coverage Cream - #2 & #3
Alima W5/G6 mix
Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Longwear Foundation Stick - 410 Bisque W (good undertone, too light - center of face only)
Tom Ford Traceless Foundation Stick - Caramel (too oily for Spring/Summer)
Anastasia Beverly Hills Stick Foundation - Caramel (great match, breaks me out)
Black Opal Foundation Stick - Rich Caramel (slightly dark, not yellow enough, gorgeous finish, breaks me out)
Cover FX Custom Cover Drops - G7 / N6 (looks dry and unnatural)

THIS KA Foundation gives me a beautiful glow, and evens my skin texture so well I don't even need a primer (I will update when I finally use it with a primer - as of now, it seems like an unnecessary step). It really does make my skin look beautiful. It wears forever, doesn't come off with oil or sweat and doesn't need to be set with much, if at all, depending on your skin type. I got 3 compliments today while wearing it, so I know I'm onto something and plan to keep experimenting with it. It is an awesome foundation and concealer.

This is some legit stuff! HG foundation for a full face, for spot concealing, and can be sheered down with other products for less coverage and a more natural finish. I just wish I hadn't written it off based on bad reviews and limited color selection years ago. I really missed out. This will always be in my arsenal from now on... A+