Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer
Color comparison for MAC NC30 / NC35The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.2

Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Beeswax, Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance. May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77491).

on 10/9/2018 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product is legendary and I had a great color match, so I splurged on it and... regretted it. I tried incredibly hard to get this enhancer to work (mixing it with all sorts of lotions and mediums, applying it with different tools, etc.) but it had two major flaws. One, regardless of what I mixed it with, it kept emphasizing peach fuzz and skin texture that I didn't know I had. Two, it broke me out. I would be very cautious about using this product if you are acne-prone like me.

The pigmentation is truely awesome though, so I hope other people can get it to work.

on 5/14/2018 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Interesting and frustrating product. Liked the idea of a very pigmented cream foundation that spreads out for a natural yet buildable coverage that does not look dry or cakey on my mature, sensitive skin. Saw it being recommended by a Youtuber who recommended it as the perfect full coverage, natural foundation for mature skin. So, My first mistake is how I picked out the color. I went to Sephora and swatched it. Thought that the SX08 would work with my NC45 skin. Boy, was I wrong. I got that little pot home, used a tiny (1/2 pea size) drop spread it over my face and looked like a yellow ghost. It turns out that the product is so heavily pigmented is looks much darker in the pot and still much darker in a swatch then when it is spread all over the face. So, I then researched it on line and found some very good color indexes to follow. Turns out that SX11 or 12 are closer to my NC 45 color. So, I got SX11. Much better color match but I find it difficult to spread (I tried with several brushes, including one for this foundation by the same brand, fingers and sponge.). But, I was not ready to give up on this yet. So, after some experimentation, I found that the best, and easiest way for me to use this is to take a tiny amount (like size of a pen head) mix with sheer foundation (I am using it with Mac Face & Body, but also good with Flower Illuminating foundation, BB and CC creams). It ads coverage, but no heaviness at all. It is a perfect way to take my sheer-medium foundations and make them more full coverage. The foundation looks dewy and fresh but it has very good coverage. The little jar costs $48 USD and is at Sephora, and all drugstores. It looks like a lot of money for the tiny pot but it will last a very long time given the tiny amount you need to apply. This took a lot of work to make it usable, but I do like the result. I will also try mixing with lotion and/or sun block for summer. I deducted some lippies for the work that went into this but would recommend for its versatility and good results on skin.

OMG. Stop everything! I bought this off the back of the reviews below and I would personally hug you all if I could. This product is AMAZING! I already have a number of Levyn Aucoin products but somehow the steep price tag for a tiny pot seemed too much. Untill one day I went a little crazy and next thing I know I've binged in Bobbi Brown, MAC and SpaceNK. Oops. A little goes such a long way and the product blends really well. My gripe with the fluid foundation is that it sticks to dry patches really badly but I find this doesnt at all. Used alone with some moisturiser it provides medium coverage buildable to full and as a concealer it works wonders. Life will never be the same again. It will be better.

on 12/11/2017 1:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

Gah. I hate the fact I love this. It’s in a tiny pot and costs the earth but... I use the tiniest, most minute amount and buff it all over my face and my face looks awesome. Does not sink into wrinkles, coverage can be built upon from sheer to full and it feels just lovely on my skin. Gah. I even purchased a backup, it’s that good.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I really wanted this to be a Holy Grail product. Luckily - as I'm not a big user of skin make-up and I wasn't sure about the correct shade for me, I ordered a couple of samples n various shades off CRC ( a great site for this purpose - wish they had more of a sample collection).

It's thick and kinda hard to apply. But worst of all, it doesn't seem to cover these large grey patches I have on the sides of my face. I find that my Bare Minerals serum foundation does a better job of covering spots even though its so thin.

If you want to try this and don't have access to a store, I suggest you buy the sample size of Camera Ready Cosmetics. That alone will last you months as you need to use such little product every time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have combo skin and this concealer is the best out there, hands down. I pat it on my hand before putting on in my under eye area and it looks beautiful. Nothing else compares.

It lasts all day and doesn't settle in my fine lines. It does not look cakey either!

on 11/14/2016 5:09:00 AM

I have this in SX04, this works for me, I'm NC20. Looks quite dark and yellow in the pot, but when applied it goes much lighter. I think it's because it's super pigmented that it looks darker, due to the concentration of pigment. I would re-purchase this, though I don't wear it that often. This stuff is crazy pigmented and covers any hyper-pigmentation or skin discoloration. I don't have acne, but if I have an occasional pimple that leaves discoloration, this stuff is the best by far to cancel it. Luckily, it doesn't break me out, since I'm prone to breaking out from foundations. For daily cover ups for small discolorations, I use the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, more simple to use. You can use this as an under eye concealer, but you have to be careful and use only a tiny bit and then work it in until it blends, or mixed with moisturizer as a TM, but I am always in a hurry in the morning, so I don't want to have to work another step into my routine. Overall, I would buy it again, I feel like i need to have at least one very high coverage concealer in my life, but this will probably last me 10 years (wonder when you should toss it, I've already had it for at least 1 year and a half and it's still almost full). I think it's good value for the money, it's 18g/0,63oz, but if you were to use this as foundation and mix it with TM, I think you'd easily make at least 250ml of foundation, as you only need a pinch of this to cover your entire face, so this is probably the cheapest high end foundation/TM. I'm not a fan of the jar packaging, but don't know if there would be another alternative, this stuff is too thick to put in a pump.

on 11/14/2016 4:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I'm not sure why I didn't try this over a decade ago when I was obsessed with his brush collection. I think, maybe, back then he didn't have nearly as many colors and I don't remember seeing many good reviews...

I wish I had. I might not have wasted so much money on foundations that break me out, don't give nearly as much coverage, and don't quite match my skin.

This has the best coverage of any foundation I have ever used hands down (and, I've tried 75% of high end foundations that are available in my shade). But, because you need such a tiny amount, it manages to cover a multitude of sin while still looking pretty natural and not cakey at all unless you cake it on.

I am annoyed that, as usual, I have to mix 2 shades to get my perfect color ($100 after taxes). This is so common for me that I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy against golden tan people with slight olive undertones and golden/yellow warmth like myself... Every one seems to have a shade that is a little too light with the perfect undertone, and one that is a little too dark and/or warm - always a giant leap up with gaps in between where my complexion falls. I feel neglected. I digress...

I HATE THE FRAGRANCE! I HATE FRAGRANCE IN ANYTHING FOR MY FACE! But, I tolerate it in this for results... Fragrance free would be much better!

I am 60% SX 11 (a touch too light and needs a little more warmth) and 40% or less SX 12 (a touch too dark and a little too warm)... Mixed, they work like a dream. I also mix SX 11 with my NARS Luminous Foundation in Tahoe with similar results. I'm planning to try mixing it with oils and creams as well. I like the finish much more than Cover FX Custom Cover Drops. The finish is much more skin-like.

For reference, I am:

MAC - NC42/43/44 (depending on the formula)
Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick - Golden Natural/Warm & Golden Honey (mixed/center/perimeter)
NARS Weightless - Stromboli & Tahoe Mix
Becca - Bamboo (slightly too yellow)
Kat Von D - Medium 62 (too warm)
Black Up Full Coverage Cream - #2 & #3
Alima W5/G6 mix
Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Longwear Foundation Stick - 410 Bisque W (good undertone, too light - center of face only)
Tom Ford Traceless Foundation Stick - Caramel (too oily for Spring/Summer)
Anastasia Beverly Hills Stick Foundation - Caramel (great match, breaks me out)
Black Opal Foundation Stick - Rich Caramel (slightly dark, not yellow enough, gorgeous finish, breaks me out)
Cover FX Custom Cover Drops - G7 / N6 (looks dry and unnatural)

THIS KA Foundation gives me a beautiful glow, and evens my skin texture so well I don't even need a primer (I will update when I finally use it with a primer - as of now, it seems like an unnecessary step). It really does make my skin look beautiful. It wears forever, doesn't come off with oil or sweat and doesn't need to be set with much, if at all, depending on your skin type. I got 3 compliments today while wearing it, so I know I'm onto something and plan to keep experimenting with it. It is an awesome foundation and concealer.

This is some legit stuff! HG foundation for a full face, for spot concealing, and can be sheered down with other products for less coverage and a more natural finish. I just wish I hadn't written it off based on bad reviews and limited color selection years ago. I really missed out. This will always be in my arsenal from now on... A+

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to do with this (I am shade SX06). I have concealers so didn't need another one and it's far too thick and pigmented for a foundation. However, I tried using it recently mixed with my cheap as chips but rather fabulous Astral cream for a nice, moisturising foundation at night and it worked a charm. Looked really nice, just the right amount of coverage and only one layer of product needed. Hooray, as I hate layering. I then tried it during the day mixed with my SPF (La Roche Posay Comfort Cream SPF30) and, again, it works really well. A tiny bit goes a long way so, despite the fact it was 38GBP, it's quite good value. It's also good to travel with as its such a small pot and then I can use it as concealer and foundation when away. For the record, I am 51, almost wrinkle free and no skin discolouration thanks to a 30 year habit of SPF but i get some redness around my nose and some enlarged pores there also.

on 8/17/2016 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've had mine for about ten years (no judging please). It's always been hit and miss until now in that it can look phenomenal and last all day, or it applies badly and looks like cr@p from the get-go. Ive now found a foolproof application method and it looks great, supremely natural but buildable. I apply after a facial oil so there is some 'slip', I dot some on with a flat concealer brush (I try to not touch product in pot with fingers) and then blend in using an oval brush (artist dupe). My undereyes and circles are cavernous ATM I do the same for them but mix with an illuminating concealer/corrector .

Pro: Lasts forever
Natural skin like finish buildable to full coverage
Self-setting (I don't need powder)
Seems adjustable, I wear sx05 and it matches me from my lightest to darkest. I don't wear mac foundation but I think I'm a neutral NC15-20 (I don't usually use as full coverage though)
Can double as concealer

Con: until I found my current method of applying my results were hit and miss even with the primer designed for it with brush, beauty blender or fingers.