Essie Nail Polish

Essie Nail Polish

3.7

on 7/19/2016 6:55:00 AM

These polishes for me are so blah. I think they're overpriced for the quality. The formula is nice from all the 9 polishes over tried from this line, one coat never does anything and usually even a 2nd coat (depending on the shade) will still be sheer. That's not a big problem since these do layer nicely but to just tedious for me to not be able to get the truly color easily. The range of colors are unique and so beautiful! There's a wide shade selection. The reason for my rating is because the lasting power stinks for me on my hands so I usually use ot only on my toes since it lasts longer for me. The polishes usually chip or look dull after the 2ND day.I've tried top coats no top coat and other methods but these just chip on me so easily. So far the price I don't think know the quality is there.

why doesn't this polish have a higher overall rating? because of its price point!
otherwise, i love essie! the polish is thin and not too streaky; it is opaque when it says it is and sheer when it says it is. the colors are so lovely and the packaging is clean. the smell isn't too strong and it's more chip resistant at the cost of a bit longer drying time.

the real downfall is how much it costs, which is about $8.5-$10.5 where i am. at the same time, i still like it better than OPI ($10-$14), because it's thin and not goopy. the brush could be better, but i have heard that newer bottles will have an updated brush so that could change! and really, the packaging just gets me every time.

To Read all 223 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/26/2016 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I've had a variety of Essie polishes (bought 4 myself, received 4 as a gift) and I can honestly say that I've only like two of the polishes as a whole. Their color selection is beautiful, as is the packaging, but I don't think I have the patience to use Essie. The polishes are not very opaque, 5/8 applied streaky, and they take forever to dry in between coats. The only two polishes I liked were Chinchilly and Nude Beach (very sheer, used as a base for a french tip, would not recommend standalone) and even then I have reservations about both. For a "high end" polish, the price isn't bad and, like I mentioned, the packaging is really cute. However, the product is by no means worth it in my mind when brands like China Glaze and Sinful Colors and even NYC exist. I do not recommend these polishes at all.

on 4/29/2016 7:46:00 PM

I adore the selection of colours Essie offers, the packaging is cute and the price is reasonable for a higher end polish. Unfortunately this polish is so hard to apply, despite the beautiful colours, I wont buy it again. I've tried a few colours wondering if I just had a dud but each time the polish comes out streaky and bubbly. I can't speak to how long it lasts because I take it off within the day because it usually looks so bad.

on 4/1/2016 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

The majority of my nail varnishes are made by Essie. I like everything about them EXCEPT for the fact that they contain formaldehyde.

on 12/12/2015 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love Essie polishes as well. For my last two manicures, I used the Essie base coat and gel top coat and they lasted over a week. One of the reasons I'm a big fan is the longevity of this -- I have had a bottle for over 8 years and it has never become thick! My big gripe with OPI was after two or three uses, the polish became thick and clumpy. I have not purchased OPI for years because of this. A couple of ways to save $$ on Essie -- Walgreens recently reduced their price to $5.99 and you can also get it at Bed Bath and Beyond with your 20% coupons.

on 12/12/2015 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this nail polish! It's drys fairly quickly and hardly chips. I've been wearing the same color for a week (without a top coat) and only one nail has a small chip. The only thing I noticed was if you wear it for long without a top coat, it does start to crack but you can hardly notice it. I'd say that's a lot better than chipping. The brush does take some getting used to since the handle is short and the brush is pretty thin. When you start putting it on, it does start out streaky but once I put 3-4 coats, there are no more streaks. The polish is pretty thin, so that might explain why it drys so quickly compared to other polishes like OPI and China Glaze. Plus Essie has TONS of colors to chose from! If cost is a problem and you want to get them for cheaper (like me!), I would suggest going to Winners, if there is one near you (sorry Americans). I'm sure I'm not the only one who you rather pay $5 then $8.

on 10/6/2015 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is, hands down, the best nail polish I have ever used.
I was lucky and got them for $3 a piece with a HealthSnap.ca sale, but at $10, they are a tad pricey. But totally worth it, in my opinion. Easy to apply, dried exceptionally fast, and looks professional. Mine has gone five days without a chip, no top coat. I highly recommend this product :)

on 7/24/2015 9:02:00 PM

I love Essie's colors. They are very beautiful. However, I find the formula on most of these polishes a little iffy for a salon quality brand. Easy to put on but chips relatively quickly even with a quality base and top coat. Wish they could improve a little with the longevity of the formula.

Great colors but Essie is hard to apply. Thin bush and thin runny formula. Does not really compare to OPI when it comes to brush and formula but they do have some great colors so I am sure I would still buy if OPI did not have the color I was looking for. Love Romper Room and Sunday Funday!!!!

Popular Polishes