St.Tropez Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion

St.Tropez Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to self-tanner for years now. It's not perfect but it's definitely the best one I've tried so far (and I've tried a LOT).

The most important aspect of any self-tanner is how believable the color is, and this is where St Tropez shines. Like all tanning products, there is definitely still some orange pigment, but the green base really helps neutralize it. By applying two layers I'm able to move from an extremely fair (around NW10) to a very natural-looking fair-medium (NC25-30) complexion - it's a subtle change, this is definitely NOT a product for someone looking to go a dozen shades darker overnight. In my opinion, those sort of deeply tanning products never produce natural-looking results on fair-skinned people.

I love that it's in lotion form - it absorbs much more deeply into the skin than a mousse, meaning the color lasts longer (about a week for me), and fades away gradually rather than flaking off in high-friction areas, which mousse products are notorious for. However, I can imagine that someone with oily skin might find that the product was overly hydrating or took too long to dry.

I also appreciate that the lotion gives me more time to work the product into the skin and correct mistakes, so I never get streaks. I use it on my face as well, as it's never broken me out.

Like every self-tanner I've ever used, it's messy and smelly. The day someone develops one that is neither of those things will be the day day I find my holy grail tan!

on 7/27/2017 3:21:00 PM

Crap.... out of the 3 I tried this came in 2nd I got a bit of colour but very light and my neck and legs stayed pale. It's guide colour is ugly it looks like I'm painting myself brown and after leaving it on all night that brown washed of and left almost nothing, overpriced crap is what it is, I wanted to love st Tropez products and so far they have all been a disappointment my cheap $9 self tan beats this by far. I really don't get it how it's so highly rated and others love it and get these beautiful tans I've done everything right and I've bedn using self tan since the early 2000s I'm no stranger on how to prep and apply it.

on 7/20/2013 2:10:00 AM

I do like this self tanner but it's not my favorite- the mousse is much better. This is relatively easy to apply and doesn't streak but when I wash it off the next morning I'm left with very little color- maybe one shade darker than my naturally fair skin. It's also somewhat greasy and takes a long time to dry.

on 2/14/2016 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I've tried the full St Tropez range, including this. It's a great product but I found I preferred the mousse, the lotion was more work to blend in and wait for it to dry, it just took ages. I switched to the dark mousse and never looked back. I'd originally rated this a 4 but as the years have gone on I've rated it down and I simply wouldn't buy this again because the blending time and drying time are too much.

Best self tanner I have ever used! I used to use cheaper tans that didn't really give much effect on me and they didn't have a very good colour, so I had a voucher for a store by me and brought this tan. It was 30.50 but I had my voucher so it cost nothing, I would never pay 30.50 because you can get it lots cheaper on ebay. I got back home and couldn't wait to try it so I didn't even exfoliate or anything and it still come out perfect!! I was very happy with the outcome. Gorgeous natural colour, not to over the top. Fantastic self tan won't use another fake tan other then St Tropez!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This stuff gave me a great color but it's really hard to apply evenly. I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to get it uniform everywhere. It could be a learning curve so I'm going to keep trying but if I can't apply it better I will not be buying it again.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

TIP: To remove the stain from your palms: make a paste of baking soda and water then rub your palms together. You're palms will be normal again.

I have done my whole body with this tanner and my palms were black; and I was able to remove the stain from my palms very easily with the baking soda paste. I am sure the gloves work fine; however, I would think you would waste a good amount of product on the glove or mitt. Baking soda is the cheapest solution to this problem. It is a tad drying so add a little hand lotion and you're good to go.

I only gave this product 3 lippies because I'm not sure about how well this tanner works on me. There is immediate payoff; however, once I take a shower, I feel I'm back to the same color again.

I used Clarins facial tanner before and that was awesome....good color and the smell didn't bother me at all.

on 5/9/2013 10:01:00 AM

Don't waste your money.

I bought this in South Africa, no less, because the exchange made it cheaper for me. I am a self tanning junkie and have tried them all, so I'd been eyeing this one up for years but couldn't swallow paying for it at home.

Yes, the formula doesn't smell as self tannerish as others...instead is smells of my grandmother who has lost her own sense of smell and bathes in her horrid perfume.

The color is natural. That's the only good point. A little also goes a long way. Much, much streakier then any other drugstore brand I've tried so far. To the places that I applies more then usual, streak city. To the places that I went lightly, my color is barely 2 shades darker. BARELY. And they want you to shower afterwards?! What?

I will stick with my standby L'oreal stuff.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This is a lovely product. Goes on smoothly, easy to apply. Make sure you use a mitt to avoid orange hands. I tend to prefer the bronzing mousse as I feel you have more control of the colour. This product still provides a natural looking tan and doesnt give off an offensive smell unlike some fake tanners.

Is this product worth the money? Yes I think it is. It provides a natural looking tan and doesnt smell too bad which are the two main things I look for. I would happily buy this product again.

on 3/9/2013 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have purchased so many self tanners in the past and I can honestly say this one is the best I have tried. It gives great color and it smells fantastic with a fresh, clean scent. It goes on well but be sure to wear latex gloves because it does stain your hands if you are not careful. The color is very natural looking and not at all orangish looking. This product is well worth the price and it will deliver good results.