Devon Violets

No Image

4.3

on 10/28/2006 7:19:00 AM

I can see why certain fragrance lovers would love this classic scent. It has a nice violet note, but for me, the note is smothered in greenness. I cannot do that much green. I need more purple.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Devon Violets is a pretty, soft violet fragrance. It is sweet, somewhat powdery, and a bit musty on the drydown. I bought a huge bottle (4 oz.) from the Devon website, and while I am not disappointed (as I bought it unsniffed), I don't think it holds a candle to the lush, green, deep loveliness that is Violetta di Parma.

on 1/24/2006 1:34:00 AM

Truer to real violets, to my nose, than any other violet scent I've tried. Just violet--more of a pure, solo violet than Violetta di Parma or even Violettes de Toulouse. Deep, complex, with a hint of green, neither powdery nor sugary, with no weird synthetic notes (although there is a shampoo-like hint of soap at first). Ladylike if worn lightly (I agree with GlamDiva that it's "classy"), almost hypnotic in large doses. Lasts all day in warm weather; not so long in cold, but it's still a treat in winter, when other violet scents would disappear on my skin. I don't know if violets differ very much from here to there, so for reference, "my" violets are New England violets that grow near pine trees!

on 9/1/2005 8:52:00 PM

A beautiful, clear violet fragrance that's similar to Borsari's VdP, just more present (but not perfumey). It's really quite beautiful: what more can you say about a true violet fragrance? Lasting power is not so great. This is the only violet scent aside from VdP and Caron's VP that I want to own. I've tried and liked many violets, but never found anything else that was worth a purchase.

on 11/16/2005 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been tempted by violet fragrances, because I love Apres l'Ondee. But apparently I only like the note as part of a larger composition. This was just too sweet. It was less sweet and soapy than Violetta di Parma. (I started typing Viletta, interestingly). EDIT: Well, I've learned to like violet, and DV is a very good one. It's simpler than Violetta di Parma (just violet and green notes, no woods), and has bad lasting power on me, so I don't rate it quite as highly.

on 11/16/2005 8:58:00 PM

I love Devon Violets, partly because it smells sweet and beautiful, and partly because it has helped me pick out violet notes in other fragrances. You see, I don't think I've ever smelled a living violet flower before. I remember giving an African violet plant to an elementary school teacher as a gift over 20 years ago, and that's about the extent of my violet experience. Apparently people just don't grow them in Missouri (where I grew up). Now that I've worn Devon Violets, I can wear other fragrances and recognize the violet. Maybe I should try growing the real thing now that I'm in Seattle, home of the almost-British climate.

on 3/3/2004 3:14:00 AM

Love Love Love this fragrance. Always have, always will. The only true violet I have ever worn. I can sniff my long empty bottle and be transported back in time. This would last all day, be completely different, non cloying and just all-around wonderful.

on 1/30/2004 10:22:00 PM

Absolutely classic - probably my first perfume! This scent has captured the true elusive violet and with a tiny sniff I am immediately transported to my carefree summers in Devon and can actually see my aunt's house and garden again, long years past. Ahh, nostalgia. A critical staple for violet lovers.

Popular Fragrances