Murad Clarifying Body Spray

No Image

Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid 0.5% ; Inactive Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat, Butylene Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Niacinamide, Allantoin, Glycerin, Nymphaea Coerulea Flower Extract, Panthenol, Glycolic Acid, Menthol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hydroxide, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil (source: murad.com)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This broke me out, which is a bummer because it was really expensive. Note though that I almost always break out with Vitamin E (Tocopherol/ Tocopheryl acetate), which this spray contains. But other than that here's what I've got to say:

The product comes in a bottle slightly too big for its content. I say that because the first time I held the bottle up, it felt a bit too light that I thought it must have spilled on its way to me. But there was no sign of that. Thing is, the bottle made for 200-250 ml liquid contains only 130 ml of this spray. So basically, you're paying a lot of money for a small amount and you'll also have to buy it regularly as it will surely run out fast. On the upside, the container is amazing as others have noted. It feels high-end but not OTT and the way it sprays is smart - a slight press and it releases a gentle mist that covers a wide area. If you're really efficient you can spray your entire back with only 2-3 brief sprays and you'll have no issues spraying upside down.

If your sense of smell is sensitive, it's important to note that this contains a potent alcohol smell. I needed to take breaks between sprays to breathe; it was that strong. The tingling was also intense. It was like my body was on fire, except with menthol. It can either be a cool or an uncomfortable experience. Lastly it was extremely drying, so make sure you slather on some really good moisturiser after it's dried. I just wish they'd reformulate and remove the Vit E as the product is still drying overall so it's not really helping.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

For $40, I expected wonderful things from this spray. I was desperate and needed something to use on the bout of chest acne I recently got. I used this for a week on my chest and face and noticed no difference. In fact, I want to say this actually caused breakouts on my face. I didn't read the bottle at purchase and realized later that this only has 0.5% salicylic acid and it also contains castor oil which can cause breakouts on my face. It also contains menthol so you well definitely feel the burn.

Idk why I decided to try this on my elbows which I'm having a psoriasis flare-up on them now. Surprisingly, this tones down the irritation immediately! It doesn't make the ugly white flaky inflamed bumps go away, but it helps with the itch and irritation that comes with psoriasis. But, any cheap store brand anti-itch cream can do that so this spray is not worth keeping.

on 1/25/2015 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The major reason I use this spray is due to the packaging. Continuous spray even upside down without having to pump the the nozzle. Works very well on what I call mild chest and back acne--mostly whiteheads in my case. As for performance, it's works just the same as the neutrogena spray. I'm willing to pay the extra dollars just for the bottle design.

on 6/11/2014 2:31:00 PM

I am 35 years old and for a few years have been suffering from bacne and chestne. I have been using this product for two months now have seen a dramatic change. It does work, but I have been using it every day religiously! I use it in combination with Neutrogena Acne Body Wash and CeraVe normal to dry skin moisturizer. Also, twice a week I use Murad's Aha/BHA cleanser to help with acne scarring. In the padt two months my skin has improved, it did not get rid of all acne and it is not a cure, but definetly I see good results and will keep using it. I am planning on getting a spot treatment to supplement my regimen.

on 1/6/2014 2:00:00 AM

Just a little background info- I'm a gal in my late teens who has been suffering from "bacne" (and chest acne) for years. I hate bacne so so so much, even more than my face acne. I used a prescription medicine on my back for a few years that i got from my dermatologist, but it never completely cleared my back. I bought this a year ago to see if it would work better, and i havent gone back to the prescription stuff. It cleared my back up COMPLETELY. Its a little expensive, but cheaper than having to go to the derm to get my refill presciption! I love this, 100% recommend :) its also easy to use because it is a spray instead of a cream, so you dont need someone to help you apply it!

Okay -- first things first, I loved the stuff. I've been suffering from body acne for as long as I could remember, and this stuff really did help clear things up. It wasn't perfect, but I could see it working.

The downside? It lasted me all of two weeks. That's right -- two weeks. I wasn't using a crazy amount, either -- three spritzes a day like suggested, and I didn't linger with the spray.

I thought maybe my pump had broken. It wasn't -- no matter which way I tried to get the product out, it wouldn't budge. It's also impossible to tell how much is left in the bottle, and it weighed exactly the same when I ran out as it did brand new. I'm sure there's a way to open up the bottle and pour the contents into a different spray bottle, but those kinds of projects are for someone way craftier than I am.

As much as I did like the product, I don't think I can shell out $37 every two weeks to get a new one. I'm trying the Neutrogena mist now as a replacement and so far, no complaints!

on 5/14/2013 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this for years and really like the product. Towards the end of the bottle, sometimes the spray nozzle would stop working properly, but that never bothered me. I recently just bought a new bottle and I'm not very happy with the new nozzle. Its very strong and there is almost no way to control the massive amount of product that comes out with just a quick short spray. HUGE waste of product and I have it running down my whole body after trying to spray just a little. They may have changed the nozzle in the hopes the new one wouldn't quit working, but I'd rather have the older style nozzle back. I'm pretty disappointed and I'm contemplating whether or not I will repurchase.

on 5/14/2013 6:58:00 PM

This product is amazing!
Clear back acne, but you have to be consistent!
A little expensive but well worth it.

on 10/7/2013 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Dr. Murad, you little effective dermatologist you. Why must your products be SO EXPENSIVE?

I bought this product during a mysterious shortage in Neutrogena's body spray in my area. No one seemed to have it. It was in the 90s, I had a trip coming up. I was terrified. That's a descriptor that no one who has ever had to deal with back acne will doubt. It's awful and confidence-destroying, not to mention irritating to walk into a store and have to always be like "Well, that has a low back, so no." Desperate, I picked this up at Ricky's. For $40. Forty. Dollars. To replace a product I usually spend $9.

Is it worth the astronomical price? I wish I could tell you no, but that would be a lie. This product is awesome. It has both SA (a relatively low dose) and a retinol, and it is EFFECTIVE. The Neutrogena product controlled by body acne, this completely eliminated it, and also helped with the dark spots left behind. It has a slightly menthol-like scent and it feels very cool when it goes on, which I personally like but others might not agree with. The spray really does work at all angles, which is great. The bottle is a little sketchy--I was sure that I had some sort of display model when I first picked it up, because it seemed like there was no product in it. I guess that it's some sort of pressurized bottle-within-a-bottle to ensure that it can be sprayed upside down. Don't get me wrong, it's annoying to not know how much you have left. But this did such a good job that it's hard for me to fault it too much.

I now have a bottle of this and a bottle of the Neutrogena stuff. I use the Neutrogena daily, and the Murad once a week or so as a maintenance procedure. This works for me and justifies the price, since I only use it once a week. When I was using it every day, the bottle lasted me about 3 months. If you are having problems with stubborn acne on your body, I cannot recommend this product enough. It's a splurge, but for your own personal comfort and confidence, I really do think it's worth the try.

This product really saved the skin on my chest. I started working out about 6 months ago, and my chest started breaking out horribly all the time. This product was recommended to me by a Sephora associate, and I was unsure because other Murad products have made me break out in the past. However, I took the chance and bought the product. I use it twice a day every day, and it's made such a huge difference. I can totally tell when I stop using it (as a test), because I start breaking out again. I took this product with me when I traveled Europe this summer, and I could tell it really helped me not break out, especially in hot places like Rome and Athens. When you spray it on, it's really cold and tingly at first (this feels very pleasant when it's hot). It does take a little while to dry; I spray it on as soon as I get out of the shower so that it's dry by the time I'm ready to put my clothes on. My mom did not like this because the "tingle" was too much for her; however, I love it. I highly recommend this for body acne, especially chest and shoulders.

Popular Body Skincare Products