MAC Lipliner in Spice

MAC Lipliner in Spice
Lipliner in SpiceMAC Spice LiplinerLipliner in SpiceLip liner swatches

3.7

It has the usual MAC quality but reminds of a terra-cotta planter. Too much orange for me.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is my HG lip pencil and I will never let myself be without it. The number one thing I love about this is the formula. A lot of lip liners can be pigmented, but too creamy that they become slippery and don't last. This has the perfect amount of waxiness, stiffness, creaminess, and pigmentation, and lasts all day on me. The shade is perfect for me, (I like to over line my cupids bow to give myself a cherry-lips look). I have light olive skin and this looks very natural and flattering on. It isn't too cool or warm either, it just looks like a darker version of my natural lip shade.

on 4/29/2017 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have this and have not used it recently. I am NC 30-35, Asian olive skin, with deeply pigmented lips that have a cool undertone. This is somehow too light on me for a MLBB look and too warm pigmented for a nude lip as I prefer a cool dark nude tone. I also did not like the drag on my lips (even when the pencil was brand new). I prefer Sephora lip pencils in a variety of MLBB shades. If you have a paler complexion, this might be perfect. However, there are many dupes and alternatives on the market. IMO the photo above is darker and more chestnut than IRL and not indicative of the color that lands on your lips.

on 12/4/2016 12:36:00 AM

Due to each lip pigmentation resulting in a different tone for everyone using the Spice lipliner from MAC; I achieved a very dark brown colour with just the ever so faint hint of a red or copper that is barely noticeable unless you're looking for it. This of course depending on light levels/light type (incandescent lights etc.)

It's a wonderful colour but it would easily be mistaken for plain brown on my lips from any distance in a dark environment, not to mention how hard it is when applying on the lips and how much it dries my lips out. I recommend using a good brand lip balm for 30 minutes prior and wiping off before using this pencil.
In brighter light, however; this lip liner appears much more reddish/copper in colour thankfully but is still quite dark. (Due to swatching I assumed it would be lighter in general on my lips).

For me personally, with this shade being quite dark and my very fair skin tone (Nars Siberia is too dark and yellow for me) I would have to go for a darker eye with this pencil.
If that's your thing (which it can be for me sometimes) that's great, but I was hoping for something a bit lighter which is unfortunate. It came out a lighter medium shade when I tested it on my hand before purchasing.

So to put all to the wise; this colour will be VERY different on you depending on your skin tone. Those with darker tones will find this much lighter, even with just a hint of a natural tan.
Those with barely any lip pigmentation like myself (barely pink, upper lip practically white) you will be disappointed when looking for a brighter, more copper looking tone.

I would recommend however if this is your sort of thing, and with the vague copper colour this is perhaps the closest I'll get for now for the colour I'm searching out.
however if like me, and you used a lip balm prior to application, you will notice fading. If someone were to go without a lip balm prior to use this may stay on your lips much longer.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

So Spice is not a color I use everyday, because I naturally gravitate toward lighter or pinker lip colors and I generally match my liners and lipsticks/glosses as nearly as possible. Spice is a medium warm chestnut brown. It applies well, but like all the MAC pencils it does tend to get a bit dry until you get them moving. They are just not as creamy as the twist up pencils, but I actually really don't mind the packaging and consistency because I feel like they last longer than any other lip pencil I use and you get much more product than with the twist ups. Seriously this pencil stayed put with no flaking or movement or fading for about 8 hours.
I am certain because the color is not unusual you could find a cheaper dupe if you applied yourself, but that would not stop me from recommending this. There is a quality and longitivity that keeps me coming back to these pencils.

Nice warm brown shade. I like the fact that the pencil is quite soft and easily applies, yet it is hard enough to achieve precision.
Works well all over the lips for a matte color.
Longevity is good, but not excellent.

on 4/3/2016 4:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love this lipliner! Goes with so many different eyes looks and I find my self reaching for this a lot! Looks great with MAC velvet teddy but I sometimes just wear this on it's own and it lasts really well through out the day. Really appropriate for work wear aswell.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm actually surprised by how flattering this is. I'm NC20 and already have Whirl and Soar. I find Whirl too brown so was looking for an alternative. I read that Spice was used a lot in the 90's so was expecting quite a strong red cast to it. I eventually ordered it and I really like it - much more than Soar and Whirl. It's great to pair with warmer shades of lipsticks and lasts too. I will repurchase :)

on 1/4/2016 1:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

MAC have an amazing variety of lipliners and the shade "Spice" is my absolute favorite. It looks really good with the Shanghai Spice and Honeylove lipsticks too. The shade is a warm reddish brown, and give a rich and smooth coverage if you have moisturized and peeled lips (which you always should before applying lipliners).

The price is decent and I always think the MAC pencils are quite long and easy to use. But like many lipliners you have to use a pencil sharpener and you tend to lose some of the product in the process to get that extremely pointy end.
The liner is not waterproof either so if you are out and about you should keep the liner in your bag to re-apply some (if you drink and/or eat).

I really recommend this liner, it's everything I expect from a lipliner and the color is just the perfect dark natural one. And you can use it to get a really outstanding classic 90's lip.

on 10/19/2015 1:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

pros:
- extremely natural appearance
- lipliners lend themselves to easy/precise applications
- extremely pigmented. I'm indian and have two-toned lips. My top lip is completely brown and this covered it up with ease.
con:
- needs to be reapplied after a few hours
- transfers if eating/drinking
- accentuates dry lips

Popular Lip Liners