MAC Lipliner in Spice

MAC Lipliner in Spice
Lipliner in SpiceMAC Spice LiplinerLipliner in SpiceLip liner swatches

3.7

on 12/4/2016 12:36:00 AM

Due to each lip pigmentation resulting in a different tone for everyone using the Spice lipliner from MAC; I achieved a very dark brown colour with just the ever so faint hint of a red or copper that is barely noticeable unless you're looking for it. This of course depending on light levels/light type (incandescent lights etc.)

It's a wonderful colour but it would easily be mistaken for plain brown on my lips from any distance in a dark environment, not to mention how hard it is when applying on the lips and how much it dries my lips out. I recommend using a good brand lip balm for 30 minutes prior and wiping off before using this pencil.
In brighter light, however; this lip liner appears much more reddish/copper in colour thankfully but is still quite dark. (Due to swatching I assumed it would be lighter in general on my lips).

For me personally, with this shade being quite dark and my very fair skin tone (Nars Siberia is too dark and yellow for me) I would have to go for a darker eye with this pencil.
If that's your thing (which it can be for me sometimes) that's great, but I was hoping for something a bit lighter which is unfortunate. It came out a lighter medium shade when I tested it on my hand before purchasing.

So to put all to the wise; this colour will be VERY different on you depending on your skin tone. Those with darker tones will find this much lighter, even with just a hint of a natural tan.
Those with barely any lip pigmentation like myself (barely pink, upper lip practically white) you will be disappointed when looking for a brighter, more copper looking tone.

I would recommend however if this is your sort of thing, and with the vague copper colour this is perhaps the closest I'll get for now for the colour I'm searching out.
however if like me, and you used a lip balm prior to application, you will notice fading. If someone were to go without a lip balm prior to use this may stay on your lips much longer.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

So Spice is not a color I use everyday, because I naturally gravitate toward lighter or pinker lip colors and I generally match my liners and lipsticks/glosses as nearly as possible. Spice is a medium warm chestnut brown. It applies well, but like all the MAC pencils it does tend to get a bit dry until you get them moving. They are just not as creamy as the twist up pencils, but I actually really don't mind the packaging and consistency because I feel like they last longer than any other lip pencil I use and you get much more product than with the twist ups. Seriously this pencil stayed put with no flaking or movement or fading for about 8 hours.
I am certain because the color is not unusual you could find a cheaper dupe if you applied yourself, but that would not stop me from recommending this. There is a quality and longitivity that keeps me coming back to these pencils.

Nice warm brown shade. I like the fact that the pencil is quite soft and easily applies, yet it is hard enough to achieve precision.
Works well all over the lips for a matte color.
Longevity is good, but not excellent.

on 4/3/2016 4:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love this lipliner! Goes with so many different eyes looks and I find my self reaching for this a lot! Looks great with MAC velvet teddy but I sometimes just wear this on it's own and it lasts really well through out the day. Really appropriate for work wear aswell.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm actually surprised by how flattering this is. I'm NC20 and already have Whirl and Soar. I find Whirl too brown so was looking for an alternative. I read that Spice was used a lot in the 90's so was expecting quite a strong red cast to it. I eventually ordered it and I really like it - much more than Soar and Whirl. It's great to pair with warmer shades of lipsticks and lasts too. I will repurchase :)

on 1/4/2016 1:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

MAC have an amazing variety of lipliners and the shade "Spice" is my absolute favorite. It looks really good with the Shanghai Spice and Honeylove lipsticks too. The shade is a warm reddish brown, and give a rich and smooth coverage if you have moisturized and peeled lips (which you always should before applying lipliners).

The price is decent and I always think the MAC pencils are quite long and easy to use. But like many lipliners you have to use a pencil sharpener and you tend to lose some of the product in the process to get that extremely pointy end.
The liner is not waterproof either so if you are out and about you should keep the liner in your bag to re-apply some (if you drink and/or eat).

I really recommend this liner, it's everything I expect from a lipliner and the color is just the perfect dark natural one. And you can use it to get a really outstanding classic 90's lip.

on 10/19/2015 1:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

pros:
- extremely natural appearance
- lipliners lend themselves to easy/precise applications
- extremely pigmented. I'm indian and have two-toned lips. My top lip is completely brown and this covered it up with ease.
con:
- needs to be reapplied after a few hours
- transfers if eating/drinking
- accentuates dry lips

on 10/13/2015 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Love this colour great for everyday use, I like to use this all over lips with lipbalm and the colour lasts all day.

on 9/26/2015 10:25:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I always use this lip pencil with EVERYTHING.... it literally goes with everything. I usually line my lips then fill in with this, then apply lippy on top. it's a nude dark neutral shade, it goes with pinks, reds, mauves, beiges - never looks out of place and lasts ages. Great value as its a very loong pencil :-) and sharpens great.

on 9/18/2015 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I bought this in my adult makeup-wearing life, but I'm sure I went through forty of these pencils. I wore MAC Spice every day for years with every lipstick color except for true reds. It was my nude of choice and still a favorite. I even used it when I did makeup for actors. The only complaints I remember were from people with strong yellow undertones who felt it was too orange on them. Most people do not have this complaint. I have pretty neutral skin (both pink and yellow, really a mix of warm and cool tones in my skin) and I was able to wear MAC Spice with almost everything. My only beef with it was having to constantly sharpen it.

Then for a few years, because I traveled so much, I got tired of finding wooden shavings in my suitcase and purse, despite the fact that I always bought sharpeners with lids. I retreated into a retractable lip pencil phase and bought the MAC Cremestick liners in various shades before MAC phased them out. I returned to MAC Spice like an old, dear friend from high school I hadn't seen for a while.

Then, I met Charlotte Tilbury's Pillowtalk. I didn't think I could find a liner that I would love more than Spice until I met Pillowtalk. Pillowtalk matches my lips even better, incorporating pink, peach, and nude in a way that no liner had other done before. And one day it whispered to me, "Charlotte Tilbury doesn't test on animals." So now Pillowtalk is 100% my favorite lip liner. Unfortunately I have to sharpen Pillowtalk, too. However, I will always have fond memories of MAC Spice. It was with me through many lipsticks and many kisses. I sigh with nostalgia and affection, and will buy again if MAC stops animal testing. Great nude color.