LUSH 1000 Millihelens Jelly Face Mask

LUSH 1000 Millihelens Jelly Face Mask

3.6

on 9/1/2018 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I decided on a whim to buy a face mask from here. Sales assistant was helpful, and explained that this product can be stubborn to remove and advised using a face cloth. I found it tricky to apply, you almost need to emulsify it in your hands before applying to your face.
It is a little stubborn to remove too. Did i notice any benefit? My skin felt slightly smoother - which I would expect after any mask - but thats it.
Not one I would buy again

This is my first jelly face mask from Lush, though I have been a longtime user of their fresh face masks and their Mask of Magnaminty and have a decent amount of trust in the effectiveness of their skincare range. I decided to purchase 1000 Millihelens as my skin was suffering from breakouts and the ingredients - Witch Hazel, Green Tea and Carragreen Extract - are ingredients which play nicely with my skin and have helped me in the past. I didn't have too much problem getting the jelly formula to work nicely for me. I simply take a small amount, rub it between my fingers in order to melt it down into a paste and then gently smooth the paste onto my face. I found I used a lot less of the jelly than I do with Lush's fresh face masks. This makes them good value for money as I will get more uses from the tub. They also have a much longer shelf-life than the fresh masks. Once on my face, I simply leave for 15-20 minutes before rinsing. The mask dries somewhat but stays soft and tacky. After rinsing, my skin feels soft and clean. I did find that it did help calm my breakouts. It eased the redness and helped them heal faster. As such, I was very happy with the result. I am definitely interested in exploring Lush's other jelly face masks and would repurchase this one also.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

First off, I do not like texture of this product. I’ve been reading up on how people use this mask and I just can’t get the same result. It just tends to roll right off my hands and into the sink, instead of breaking up into a more manageable consistency. It takes some time and effort to apply to my skin but I have to say, this is my one and only criticism, the rest of the mask is great!

The smell is wonderful (green apples!), and I love the results. It does help to calm down any breakouts but perhaps not as effectively as a clay mask. It does even my skin tone beautifully and gets rid of redness, like I’ve put on a smoothing primer. My skin feels nice and clarified and light. It’s my go to mask when I need something gentle for medium breakouts and for when I feel my skin needs to be refreshed without being aggravated.

The price is also reasonable, and I feel it would last me a good amount of time considering this is a lush mask and they tend to have less preservatives and therefore a shorter shelf life. Would repurchase this again, even though I hate the texture. It’s worth the trouble.

on 12/1/2017 2:35:00 PM

overall nice product, not sure it actually did much for my skin.
it smells incredible, kind of like a mix of herbal tea and cucumbers? its scent is very fresh and just puts a smile on my face whenever i use it.
its a fun consistency, because the thing is with this mask since its jelly, you have to take a bit out of the pot and then rub it in your hands for a few minutes before you can apply, personally i found this step to be really fun and therapeutic. once you make the paste it applies fairly easily to the skin (although i noticed once it starts to dry on your skin you cant apply any more over top). Its easy to remove.
as for its effects on my skin it didnt noticably really do much? but it did make my skin feel a little softer.
i got i believe the miniature size as it was my first time using it, but a little seems to go a long way with this, i estimate ill get about 14 uses out of this?
oh and did i mention it was only 14 dollars?
really my only complaints would be it does have a fairly short shelf life, so if you don't use face masks super frequently i wouldn't recommend this, plus it didnt really do anything mirsculous for my skin? like it felt a bit softer but.
all in all, this mask is a good price, its fun and relaxing to use but i didnt notice it doing much for my skin.

on 11/16/2017 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my first foray into Lush's new jelly face masks. When describing my skin (acne prone combo skin, oily t-zone and normal elsewhere) the Lush sales rep actually recommended me two of the other jelly masks. FOMO and The Birth of Venus, I think. I ended up going with this one in the end, partly because FOMO seemed very similar to Rosy Cheeks which I currently have a tub of, and partly because of the inclusion of green tea and witch hazel in 1000 Millihelens. My skin has always reacted well to Lush products containing witch hazel in the past, and this turned out to be no exception.

I am currently battling some hormonal acne, and while I don't know how much this mask does for my active spots, it certainly clears up clogged pores and brightens my skin a lot. It's a very enzymic, acidic mask, and it gives me a slight tingle when applied - though nothing crazy. Lush says to only let it sit on the skin for 5-10 minutes, and for sensitive and/or drier skin I'd definitely stay within that time limit. Personally I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, and when it wash it off my skin is brighter, clearer and smoother. Not a miracle mask, but a nice one all the same. In the future I don't think I would use it in the winter though, as I think it will be a little bit too harsh and drying for me when my skin becomes more prone to surface dryness due to the cold. I can see myself repurchasing it and use during the summer, though.

I've seen others say that this mask is harder to turn into a paste than the other jelly masks, and I hope that is true, because it is a bit tricky to use. I can never get it to a smooth paste, it's always chunky and therefore hard to spread evenly on the skin. On the plus side, it's not one of those masks that you need a really thick layer in order to get results. It really is a unique face mask, and the consistency means a little goes a long way. Much, much longer than Lush's own estimate, which I believe is something like 5-6 uses if I remember correctly. I've probably used mine 6 times already, with at least 2/3 of the pot left. So don't be intimated by the price per application, as it'll probably last a lot longer than it seems.

Having just tried this one mask, I feel the same about it as I do about Lush's shower jellies - not the most user friendly, but they're childishly fun to use. A sweet fun fact is that every mask is apparently inspired by a "badass Lush babe", i.e. Lush businesswomen. This one they say is inspired by Lush co-founder Helen Ambrosen. Girl power face masks is the new face masks!

+ Cruelty free
+ Vegan (4 out of 5 jelly masks are, only Bunny Moon isn't due to the inclusion of honey)
+ Clarifying, brightening and smoothing
+ Smells like apples and green tea - really fresh!
+ Doesn't dry down on skin, so no itchy stiff feeling
+ A little goes a long way - it feels very potent!
+ Self-preserving, so no artificial preservatives
+ A lot longer shelf-life than Lush's fresh face masks, at 4 months. Can also be stored in room temperature.

- The inclusion of perfume seems unnecessary when you have so many natural fragrances in there
- The skin can feel slightly tight and dehydrated if left on too long
- Doesn't turn into a smooth paste like the other jelly masks seem to