PAT MCGRATH LABS Matte Trance Lipstick

PAT MCGRATH LABS Matte Trance Lipstick

4.4

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

What would you expect from Pat McGrath? She's practically beauty royalty, right up there with the craft of Kabuki, Egyptian eyeliner and Kevyn Aucoin.She's got the original Supernodels as devoted followers.You know, the incredibly femme freaks of nature that ruled the 80s & 90s and left everyone breathless the entire decade and then some? Yes, those.I've read that's she's a perfectionist but also very practical.Considering her reputation and how long she's been in the industry, she wouldn't put her name to a product if it wasn't going to be glorious and this certainly is. To this woman and her clientele nude isn't just nude and red isn't flat. Her company's focus isn't just eyeshadow and trends like many of her contemporaries choose to do. Lips are just as important if not the ultimate weapon of seduction itself. I consider lipstick a defining and impactful tool of female beauty. The right one is earth shattering. Ms. McGrath's goal with her lipstick is to reinterpret what she feels are the perfect lipstick colors. So don't expect novelty, expect quality and dimmension. The formula of this is conditioning and just great. Like a good oil painting stick. No one should feel left out here, unless you're a makeup newbie, as these could prove too rich. I took my time testing these lovelies, as I seldom shell out for HE makeup. I'm not a makeup artist, I rather spend my money on experiences, and honestly I'm not impressed by expensive beauty for its own sake unless it works. Without further ado, my review of some shades...

FLESH 3: A deep rosey, maroon brown. I say it's the most beautiful brown for neutral toned women, particularly dark autumns. It's romantic, classy, but not boring. If you love bold lips like I do and want something more "natural" without losing face, this is a real winner.

ELSON 2: I chose this as an experimental shade not for complexion complement. It's a bright orange red. NYX Amsterdam is a perfect dupe, though the NYX formula is sheerer and not as luxurious as this. Too warm for me but it would be glorious on Springs and Autumn's as a statement red lip.

FORBIDDEN LOVE:A shade of classic, French inspired red. By that I mean a bit blue, but more pink and red. As such, the shade makes a statement while bringing out a fresh pink glow to the skin. NYX Monte Carlo is a perfect dupe. My favorite shade of red.

VENDETTA: A deep, sexy burgundy red. Lush, ripe and sweet all at the same time. NYX Cherry Skies is a great dupe.

ELSON: This is the red to end all reds. I haven't found a dupe. Actually, Kiss's Matte Lipstick (black casing) in Kiss Red is spot on, but what makes ELSON fierce is the formula of the lipstick. The Kiss one, though beautiful, ends up "flat". I have a billion red lipsticks, after all it is my signature look, but ELSON took the spirit and surprise that makes red lips so special all for itself. It's like a red ribbon on a gift. It tickles your tummy, pulls at your heart strings, and fills you with giddy exitement. This would look resplendent on everyone, truthfully. This is the red you wear when you want people to notice. Alexis Colby would have worn it on Dynasty. This is what you wear when you want to leave everyone breathless and inspire a small stroke. No one will forget or forgive you for being so incredible, except your bank account and Mama when you catch the billionaire du jour.

McMENAMY: Y'all ever had sex so good you'd sell your soul to the devil for a repeat performance? Let someone string you along like a harp and find he'd hit your notes just right? Where your orgasms were as epic as category 5 hurricane or high magnitude earthquake or losing oxygen on Everest or witnessing a Voodoo "exorcism" on the local hussy, bloody chicken and all? Or do you remember the feeling you had when Violet Chacki came out in the futuristic blue gown for a crowning ceremony and made Bob the queen staggeringly irrelevant? Or Lady Olenna's speech to Jaime Lannister just before her death? Well if those feelings were a color, it would be this I think. It's browned, burgundy plum. The color of an old fine Port wine. This is what Diahann Carroll should have worn in Dynasty to counteract Alexis. Beautiful on everyone I think but on the money if you're dark. Again, the formula makes it lethally sexy. It looks alive and a bit ominous. On the fair it reminds me of Michelle Williams' Louis Vuitton campaign. I will be honest here, I already had a lipstick with this color before purchasing this, Makeup Academy's Damsen.This makes me look like the Twilight vampire version of myself: It makes my contrasting darkness perfection. It brings out a garnet like quality to my eyes and makes them look exotic. I look and feel powerfuI. My man eating color ;).

If you don't fear color, love your lips, and are willing to splurge, try these. Just pick one I think. One reminiscing your favorite, preferably your signature.These are pretty pigmented but they're easy to work with. Fingers to mold the pigments to your lip contour and if you really want to amp it up, neutralize your natural lip color with concealer before applying. Also, amazing as cream blush! Even the packaging is chic. It reminds me of the cheekiness of Lulu Guinness' designs.Highly recommend these. I'll only use these on special occasions, way too $$. I ain't rich or have a sugar daddy sadly lol. With my old Estee Lauder compact and this, I feel like I've made it big. If only for one night sometimes.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Matte Trance lipstick is probably the best matte lipstick out there. The formula feels great on the lips, the color layers well and is long wearing for a lipstick.
My first lipstick was Vendetta and it is a very beautiful dark red. From that, my collection now includes the shades in her holiday collection. The nudes are beautiful as well as the pinks. Again, I do recommend the use of a lip liner and an exfoliated lip because it will enhance flakes on the lips, but I found that the the formula still glides on the lips. Another thing I love about this lipstick is the packaging it comes in. It is heavy, magnetic and the lips are super cute. Overall, this was a good purchase for me and I highly recommend this lipstick.

on 9/25/2018 10:41:00 AM

Incredibly pigmented, too much so. I love a pigmented l/s but I just couldn't get a smooth finish using these. I even tried applying and then blotting off to achieve a stain, which often works with some lipsticks, but even that didn't do much for me. The packaging is really fun and luxe though.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Very glad to lay my hands on them. Been hearing all the praises and beauties let me tell u that the lipstick is actually ace! The packaging is extremely pretty and the color pay off is brilliant. I have the shades “modern woman” and “flesh 3”. The texture of the lipstick on my lips was not matte matte but velvet matte and m sure this is the desired finish. One coat delivers intense coverage. The shades are so lovely nd m sure deres one “go to” color for every one!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Although you don't need every single shade from this range, I am convinced there is at least one lipstick here for everyone.

Pat has worked with so many brands before, you can tell she's mastered her formulas, because these matte lipsticks are exactly what they claim to be: pigmented, long-lasting, user-friendly, lightweight, opaque. Some shades are a touch drier than others, but if you love a traditional bullet-lipstick, these are totally up your alley.

I only bought her bright red shades, because these are the colours I wear often. Elson must be my number one favourite; you can see swatches and other product details in a separate review here (http://www.partyparrotblog.com/single-post/2018/01/07/Worlds-Best-Matte-Lipsticks-Feat-Pat-McGrath) but if you were looking for ONE - this is it. It is going to look perfect on every single person.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I tried the deep burgundy shade. It changed color on me in an uneven way...parts of my lip were bright red after not even an hour. It didn't wear very well and was patchy and drying. It looked like a Revlon matte lipstick I remember trying from back in the day (80s or 90s) when they started with the whole Colorstay thing. At the same time, I found it smearing off everywhere including on my face and on my teeth. I hate to be the sole dissenter here because I know she has a following, but I just didnt like this at all. I wouldn't like it at any price, but at $38 it's a definite no way for me.

on 11/7/2017 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I love the Lust MatteTrance lipsticks by Pat McGrath Labs. I have four of the colors but I want a fifth color called Flesh 3 which Pat McGrath Labs and Sephora are both always sold out of.

I love it. I find the formula to be quite long wearing even after eating oily foods and definitely after drinking. Those lipsticks feel comfortable on the lips for matte lipsticks, they feel very lightweight on my lips and have no scent or flavor. I wear them without lip liners. The packaging is very pretty and of amazing quality.

I wear Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint in Seychelles

on 10/31/2017 10:02:00 AM

The Matte Trance lipsticks are incredibly pigmented. I cannot even swipe them on because of making a hot pigmented mess. I have lips that tend on the thinner side. Because of how pigmented and dark it is (McMenemy) I have to dab it on. If I miss even a little it is difficult to clean it up. Once on it you can't even feel it on your lips. I can also appreciate that this doesn't have much of a taste or scent to it. I wish there was more of a color selection because I'm not sure that any of these colors truly suit me. Those things said, there is no way I will ever get to use even half of this lipstick up by the time it is expired. I wish they had a mini collection because $38 is expensive for a lipstick. I must say though, if you are looking for a pigmented, darker tone, matte lipstick and price isn't an issue these are very nice.

on 10/22/2017 4:14:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Pat is a genius regardless of what she does, but not sure these lipsticks live up to the hype. Packaging is gorgeous and reminds me of a Dali piece, yet I thought the product inside would be equally stellar and I'm a bit disappointed. It's not BAD by any means, but I reach for my Tom Ford and Charlotte Tilbury over this one generally.
i like a matte lipstick to have tons of pigment, hug my lips and wear for a long time. I'm just not certain paying an extra $21 is going to give anyone what a MAC matte couldn't, or on the drugstore side Milani mattes which are amazing quality. I think you're paying for packaging and the name, basically.
I got the reddish/orange shade Obsessed; it's lovely and great quality but probably could be duped for cheaper. Honestly that's my ONLY issue with the product too: I think TF is similarly overpriced.

on 9/9/2017 12:32:00 PM

Omie is that perfect color for me, the ever elusive MLBB! The staying power of this lipstick is very good and it literally feels like nothing is on the lips. I also love 1995 for work and Elson for going out. I'm fair but have pigmented lips that are hard to match and very picky about lipstick. This stuff is worth the money. I did reapply after lunch, but that's normal for me. I want to try the new Pat McGrath Lust Trance lipsticks and have just ordered the Donatello shade this morning from Sephora!