wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.4

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a very surprisingly impressive foundation. I say that not because it is $5.99; I have used and loved Rimmel's Lasting Finish foundation for years and it's in the same price range as this, so I knew that there was a fair chance it would be a winner. I say that because I was not thrilled with WnW's Coverall cream foundation and had my concerns that this would follow in that tradition.

This foundation is easy to apply, a very liquidy consistency that dries down somewhat quickly to a natural (not dewy, not matte) finish. I used a Beauty Blender because, well, nobody wants foundation all over their hands if they can avoid it, and I'm not a huge fan of foundation brushes.

It sheers out to anywhere between a light to medium coverage depending on how much you apply. I prefer a full coverage foundation, but for an everyday look I am fine with medium. I applied a layer to my face and upper neck and then a second coat to areas I felt needed extra coverage. It is layerable to an extent, but don't expect full coverage from this one.

With a primer and being set with powder, this doesn't emphasize pores or settle in fine lines, and wears exceptionally well. It has a light feeling on the skin. I have noted a slight paint-like odor to it, but this literally disappears immediately as it is being applied. Really, really not a big deal.

Even disregarding the reasonable price tag, this is a great medium coverage, perfect for daytime foundation that looks and feels natural on the skin. There are several shades available in store (I'm in Soft Beige), but many more online. The glass tube is a step up from WnW, and the spatula applicator does help in getting the product out. Yes, a pump would be ideal but I'm fine with it as-is. I would highly recommend.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I didn't care for this but I really wanted to like it and Wet n Wild has been coming out with amazing products lately...so I had an open mind. The first strike was the lighter colors, even the lightest was too dark and yellow for me. They were advertising a huge shade range so that as well as stores not carrying all the colors was disappointing. The bottle and spatula are fine, no issue with that. The smell is very chemical/paint like which would be easier to overlook if I liked the foundation. The coverage was heavyish...powdery and settled into lines which I don't have many of so yeah...not good. I have very well behaved skin that is combo...very very slightly dry in some areas and very very slightly oily in others. This is kind of why I hate most full coverage foundation, generally it makes you look worse, older and trying too hard because of heaviness and bringing out fine lines and being grotesque and mask like...that was exactly what this did unfortunately. Almost every YouTube review I've seen of this was the same, even if they liked the foundation after a little while of wear it looked really cakey settled into fine lines. Lots of Wet and Wild products perform like a million bucks, but for me that this was definitely not one of them. If you're looking for a full coverage Foundation that doesn't give a grotesque whatever happened to Baby Jane like mask effect... I recommend Kat Von D Lock-It, and it has better shade range especially for pale people.

on 6/19/2017 3:33:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This foundation has a great color range, especially for such an affordable brand. I love the little applicator wand and the simple glass packaging. The shades also come with undertone descriptions on the bottle, which is handy and makes choosing your shade a lot easier.

Performance-wise, it works really well for me. It does sink into my pores and accentuate them, so I have to make sure to use a pore filling primer on certain areas before application. It's definitely not a natural foundation, it is obvious I am wearing foundation when I apply this. That being said, it looks beautiful after proper prep and it provides a really nice medium/full, buildable coverage. It wears well for several hours (as long as I set it). The longest I've worn it is maybe 5 hours in very warm weather and it held up really well, even in my T zone. I am very acne prone and I don't feel that this foundation breaks me out, which is a HUGE bonus.

However it smells horrible, like literal paint. I mean, I'm sure the majority of foundations smell this way before added scents and masking agents. But actually smelling it as I apply it to my face gives me anxiety by confronting me with the reality of how horrible for your skin foundation actually is. Due to this, I never reach for it anymore. It's not always the case that more affordable foundations have worse ingredients, but when it comes to this foundation, I do think that my skin has been sensitive to it. I have experienced a bit of stinging after application, but it could've been something else as I only experienced this once or twice. But all of these factors combined just kind of make me reluctant to retry it past the initial tests.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is approaching holy grail territory for me.. first off, I walk to work and I live in Canada. So I need a foundation that can take a freaking beating from the elements. I also need something that can wear all work day, put up with my combo skin, has decent coverage and preferably not have to blot... So a bit of a tall order I guess.

This foundation has met all of my expectations. The only downsides I have found are that it doesn't have amazing oil control, nor does it claim to- it's decent but after 8 or so hours it can start getting shiny. I think a good mattifying powder will fix this. The other problem I have I think could also be fixed with a better powder- it hates my glasses. If I touch my face it feels matte/maybe satin but my glasses tend to slide down and ruin that bit of foundation. I'm going to mix up my primer and powder and I think that will fix it.

Still this is the only foundation I've ever been this please with and the price is so affordable. It's a beautiful finish, satin like, soft, a good medium coverage, good wear and lightweight.

I think super oily girls may get annoyed with this one. I also think it may cling to very dry skin- I wouldn't call it drying but it's not moisturizing either.

So in short- great price, good wear, natural looking finish, medium coverage. However, not mattifying or high oil control, may cling to dry patches, oh and it smells a bit odd but it goes away. Like a paint smell.

on 8/23/2018 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

OK, so I've used this four times--wanted to give it a fair try. I got Rose Ivory, I'm fair, neutral leaning cool.

PROS
Good coverage but not too heavy
Nice finish (though too matte for me)
Good wear time
Inexpensive, readily available

CONS
Awful smell, and I don't have a great sense of smell. Though it does dissipate quickly.
Way too flat/matte for my dry skin
Emphasizes deeper wrinkles

I did try applying with a brush, fingers, damp sponge; no real difference. The last time I mixed some oil with it, but other than thinning it (perhaps reducing coverage?), it didn't make a difference or create a dewier finish. Though it also didn't oxidize or break down from adding the oil. Too late to return, going into the declutter box. Not bad, probably great for oilier skin or those who like a matte finish, just not for me.

on 11/22/2017 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really like this foundation (bronze beige is my shade) and prefer to apply with a sponge although a brush works okay too. I like to use a light layer of it because it can settle into my laugh lines easily. It lasts long, covers well, and I think does what it says it'll do. I don't put the applicator directly on my face (idk if that's what it's for or not) but I also don't do that with any other foundations. I think it performs well for the price point. I think the foundation range REALLY SUCKS and I took points off for that (so I guess there's 20 shades available but they only had 6 of the lightest shades on display at the CVS I went to. In fact, mine was the third darkest). It matches me well, but it's really limited for others so minus points. I'd definitely repurchase though. Another thing, it has a strong chemical scent which can be annoying but it does go away.
UPDATE- I'm actually looking for other foundations because I really hate the smell. I think on a budget, this is really good. If I really didn't want to spend much on foundation, I would go back to this.

on 9/15/2017 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

UPDATE 10/: I really really like this. It is similar to UD Naked Skin (but without zany skin care ingredients). If you need something quick from the drugstore, this is a great buy! It's the price of getting a coffee...not much to complain about for that! When I first tried this it didn't impress me, and I suspected it was a shade issue. Sure enough, when I found Bronze Beige it made a complete difference. Unfortunately, on my skin this "oxidizes" the opposite way...it doesn't get darker, it gets lighter (is that oxidation?) By the end of the day I looked ridiculously pale. Part of it was that this seemed to disappear, and all that was left was my paste-like Anthelios SPF 50 primer. (A side note - if you want an SPF that stays put, Anthelios SPF 50 Primer is your dream come true.)

ORIGINAL 8/17: I like it...for a very, VERY, basic foundation. It has good coverage, and a nice finish. It reminds me of the discontinued Estee Lauder Lucidity, only it's more matte. It also reminds me of the discontinued Clinique Stay True, only it's less matte. It's also very similar to a foundation made by Arbonne, and Maybelline Fit Me foundation...and many BB creams. To me it smells like a "vintage" formula...or something like that...because the smell of it transports me somewhere in time. I guess, for me, there are so many foundations these days that have additional advantages, like "blurring", skin care ingredients, pore-minimizing, etc., this doesn't seem outstanding to me, although it sure is cheap. I think it looks like makeup, but I think that's not something anyone cares about anymore. Trying to remember what it is this smells like is going to drive me nuts. It smells SO familiar...it kind of smells like oil paints...If this came a pump it would be much easier to use.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Wow! I had been looking for a more full coverage, affordable, semi-matte foundation to work with my dry skin and this is a shockingly good answer to my problem. Aside from the packaging (spatula applicator) and the smell of it (which dissipates once it sets), this foundation has worked for my skin better than a lot of higher end foundations for sure. I apply it in dots around my face and blend out with a damp RT sponge. The finish is smooth and semi or demi matte. Once it sets, on me, it is transfer proof but sooo much more comfortable and less drying than my previous HG's. I do set it with a light dusting of powder. For being such a thin liquid foundation, this baby packs the coverage for sure. I highly recommend this! It is nuts how cheap this stuff is. Woot!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Finding a foundation that matches my skintone is a hard battle, and finding a cheap one that matches is even more amazing. I didn't actually like this when I grabbed it, I remember cursing the YT beauty gurus for conning me again. But after UD discontinued my primer and I had to switch, I decided to give this another try. I recommend a silicone based or heavier primer to get the best application. I did notice seperating near my nose when I didn't prime enough.

Pros: Non-oxidizing, palest shade is both the right shade for me and no yellow undertones, insanely affordable, coverage can be built up somewhat, doesn't settle into lines, long lasting, not tacky, has a nice glowy finish without being shiny.

Cons: Small shade range, the spatula applicator can be annoying/messy, needs the right primer to get a flawless application, might not be the best for oily skin and definitely slides around on my nose.

on 12/7/2017 9:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Price was great, shade range is really nice. No matter what primer or powder I use with this foundation it rubs off, creases, transfers and generally looks gross. I do find this oxidizes on me, and the “neutral” shades are just straight up pink. Texture is great, feels weightless on the skin with a nice natural high medium coverage.