Maria Nila - Colour Refresh Hair Mask

Maria Nila - Colour Refresh Hair Mask

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a great product! I have dyed black hair and I use this between fixing my roots. It works as both a colour refresher and a hair mask and can also be used to temporarily dye hair. It comes in a handy bottle with a pump, and when purchasing you get a free pair of gloves, which you will need, at least if you're using a darker/brighter shade. You get a lot of product for your money and if you're only using it as a refresher it will last you a long time. I also used this to dye my hair when I was a pale blonde, the purple and the blue. If applied carefully the result is very nice. You can also buy their "white mix" if you want to make lighter shades, pastels i.e. However you can get the same result using regular conditioner so I wouldn't spend money on that. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 out of 5 is that I wish it worked on non-treated hair. It might work for some if you want a light tint but I wish I could use it to dye my roots. It's quite hard finding a cruelty free, vegan permanent black dye that isn't henna. In many ways I think this product is similar to Manic Panic's dye, it may be more hydrating and less pigmented, I'm not sure. Anyway, I highly recommend this, and if you're looking to just try it out it does come in smaller volumes.

on 12/4/2016 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had such high hopes for these coloured hair masks, though I have to admit that I was terribly disappointed. I bought the Pearl Silver, hoping to remove some of the yellow tones from my hair before my next round of dye. Following the instructions to the letter, I left it in for 10 minutes. At first, I was very pleased with how soft my hair seemed while using it - it wasn't until my hair dried that I realised what it had done.

Reading so many overly positive reviews, I at least expected it to have some effect. What I didn't expect was how bad the effect would be. As I pulled my fingers gently through my finished hair, I noticed that instead of my usual supple, soft, shiny and healthy hair, it was now dull, dry and frizzy. I went to the mirror and almost got tears in my eyes. No more bounce or body, just a head full of brittle straw - and the colour exchange was minimal at best. To be honest, I can't really see that it had too much effect on much of the yellow tones. The biggest change was to the structure of my hair, which is now just awful. Even my freshly trimmed ends looked like they hadn't been cut for years.

I have thick, long nordic hair, and my natural hair colour is a dark to medium ash blonde. It usually handles everything from dyes and bleaching to the brutal norwegian weather and lazy hair care routines without so much as a split end, though this hair mask reminded me of the effects of a botched bleaching performed by a clueless hairdresser I once had the misfortune of encountering. I am afraid it will take weeks to get my hair back to its normal, healthy self, and I might have to put off my next scheduled dyeing just to be on the safe side.

This might work for you better than it did for me, though I urge you to lower your expectations and be somewhat sceptical about the glowing reviews on blogs when you don't know if the review has been sponsored.

On the plus side, the packaging is both gorgeous and practical, it comes with two pairs of gloves and it is vegan.

UPDATE:
As I couldn't bring myself to not finish the bottle once I had purchased it, I decided to give it another go. Though this time, I wasn't going to take any chances. I first saturated my hair in lots and lots of coconut oil, put my hair up and left it for 24 hours. Next, I mixed my colour refresh with an intensive hair cure before applying it (I used the Redken Extreme Strenght Builder this time, and will try it with their All Soft Heavy Cream next). I then left the whole mixture in for about 25 min.

Damn, the difference was striking. Not only did it strip most of the harsh yellow tones from my hair, but it left my hair just as soft and shiny as always.

So all in all, I am pleased with the results, even though it took a lot more work than I expected. I think the moral of the story here is that if your hair has issues with purple shampoos, this might be very drying and even damaging to your hair - so take precautions and add a tons of moisture/proteins to the mix just to be on the safe side.

on 11/14/2016 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

After trying a few of Maria Nila's products, I feel like the brand is definitely underrated, at least outside of Sweden. All products are vegan and cruelty free and seem to be of salon quality (and seems to be more and more frequently used and sold at salons in Sweden). This hair mask has not only freshened up my hair between dyes, but also treated my hair to a nice overall boost - it feels silky and nourished after use. Since the hair mask adds pigments that lasts for a few washes and doesn't dye your hair, you won't do any damage to you hair by using it. Quite the contrary, it seems. I use the shade 7.40 Bright Copper, and it adds a fiery yet fairy natural red colour to my hair. It does stick more to the dyed hair than the roots, but it doesn't work exclusively for dyed hair, so I get a gradient effect rather than "bare" roots when using this. I also just use semi-permanent hair dye, so I can imagine it sticking even more to bleached or permanently dyed hair.

The line is available in 16 different shades, everything from silver/grey that could be used to keep yellow out of blonde hair in a more gentle way than silver shampoo, to reds, browns and an array of "pops of colours". I think they even added a white one for mixing pastels colours at this point.

It washes out each time you shower - my shampoo lather becomes varying shades of orange every shower until it's all washed out. Despite that I haven't noticed any staining after showers. If I go to sleep with my hair wet I'll put a towel on my memory foam pillow, and it has never gotten stained.

The one draw-back with this product is that a little certainly doesn't go a long way. At least not when you have a lot of hair, like I do. I almost always use this in combination with another hair mask, in order to more easily (and with less product) cover all of my hair. I also keep it in way longer than it says to get more colour-payoff. The price isn't unreasonable, I feel like you get good quality for the money, but it's high enough that I don't want to go through the bottle too quickly.

If I naturally had a lighter hair colour, or if I could bleach my hair (it's too dry for it to be an option for me) I'd definitely try a violet or pink shade. As it is, I'm going to keep experimenting with the different red shades available!

+ Cruelty free (certified by both Leaping Bunny and PETA)
+ Vegan (all products)
+ Made in Sweden (i.e. locally produced, for me as a Swede)
+ No parabens or sulfates
+ "Colour guard complex" that supposedly has UV protection
+ Comes in a nice-looking bottle with a good pump
+ Makes my hair feel silky smooth, which few products manage

- I can't find ingredient lists online, which is both annoying and a little bit weird. Why the lack of transparency?
- Quite a lot of product is needed for each hair mask