Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream

4.4

Water (Aqua, Eau), Glycerin, Propanediol, Fragrance (Parfum), Polyquaternium-10, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Laminaria Cloustoni (Sea Kelp) Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Macadamia Ternifolia (Macadamia) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Silk Amino Acids, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate-60, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sorry to rant after all of these raves. Let me start by telling you about my hair. Thick and rebellious. I have been working with various products throughout the years to know that there is no product to rub to my head and go. I color my hair every 10 days because it grows like grass. Don’t get me wrong, I get lots of compliments on my hair but it is high maintenance. So I tried this on wet hair and my hair got super frizzy. Curly? I don’t think so. Tried it on dry hair and the strands looked glued together. Curly? Not at all. This product didn’t work for my wavy hair. Rushing to the store to return it.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

I have pretty "regular" hair with a slight wave. This product doesn't enhance my waves - I think you really need to have natural, actual curls! But I mixed some of this with distilled water and put in spray bottle. I really like the coconut fragrance this offers - smells authentically coconutty and a bit like a pina colada and I just use it as an inexpensive, non-offensive hair refresher/fragrance. Love it!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my HG curl cream. It is kept in the ethnic hair section most places, but I can attest that it works on my curly locks as well~

This cream is not overly fragant, does not weigh down your curls (unless you use too much), moisturizes well and really encourages curls. I get so many more compliments on my curls since using this product and I just can't imagine going without it.

I sleep with my hair in the "pineapple" do, so I don't find the curls are frizzy or undone the second day. I wash my hair once or twice a week typically, and I find this product keeps my curls for 3 days without me adding anything. By day 3, if I notice them starting to falter, I add a little bit more of this product and bam. We are good again.

Once you try one cantu product, you will find yourself trying the rest of their line! :P

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

TLDR: Worth trying on wavy hair to improve natural texture and can be reapplied throughout the day to help with frizzing. Try not to use too much initially, as it will weigh down your hair and slow air drying time. I do prefer it accompanied by styling mousse.

My desire to get away from constantly using hot tools has led to an on-again off-again pursuit of hair products that can tame my frizzy, messy, natural waves into something pretty without simultaneously breaking out my face and shoulders. I stumbled onto this after seeing it had great reviews and was easily available at the drugstore and decided to try it.

The formula is rich and thick with shea butter and smells delicious like a pina colada. I've applied it to damp hair alone, accompanied by It's a 10 Leave-In spray treatment, Drybar Southern Belle mousse, and with all three. I'm still trying to nail down a balance of these that works best on my hair.

Overall my first impression is that I like it but that it works better on my hair with something else like a mousse to help hold the curl. It really helps add shine and bring out the natural wave of my hair. It also seems to control frizz somewhat and improves texture; I notice my boyfriend is always tempted to touch my hair when I use this, which doesn't help with frizz! I like to throw it in my bag so I can reapply it throughout the day.

I will say that when you have 2A-2C hair, less can be more. I've had better luck initially using less and adding more as needed so to avoid weighing down my hair. This product can also make my hair airdry much slower, so keep that in mind when going to bed with hair in a damp bun (lest you wake up to wet hair like I did one morning.) Overall I like this and will continue to buy it when I run out.

Surprised at how much I liked this. I expected it to weigh my hair down but it doesn't. I use about a quarter size amount on my shoulder-length, fine 2a/2b hair. It does feel moisturizing and encourages curl

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It is so frustrating when something so popular in the curly world just isn't right for you and it feels like, just you sometimes. That is the case with this curl cream. This is gets great ratings here & is huge in the Curly Girl / Conditioner Only groups. But for me it is just ok. Yes, I had very bouncy curly hair from this but there are two things that separate this from my beloved Deva Curl Cream (original one,not the super coconut one or the Wavemaker). With Cantu, I have more of a poodle curl and less of a Botticelli curl that the Deva gives me. I like the Botticelli look better on me. The final decision that this was not for me was when I woke up and looked at my second day hair. It looked kind of dry and fuzzy and not as silky as when I used the Deva.

So as with any product, to each his own. If you were looking for a curl cream this would still be on my rec'd list. But you have to try to see if it works for you or not. I have uber fine 2A to 2B waves...with product I get more curls.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have fine low porosity 2c waves but really straight roots. I chose this because it is a curling cream and a leave in all in one and it has a lot less thick consistency compared to other silicone free drugstore curl cream. For thicker curls you might need another curl cream with this. But my hair is fine and I have to use gel (Aussie or Herbal Essence) because if not, my curls wont hold and disappear. But I am sick of using gels and I wanted a curl cream that wont be too heavy and grease up my hair. I used it with gel and on its own, honestly I love it just by itself or with leave in conditioner. I hate the crunchy cast gels give me, this has soft to medium hold but very different from gel. I prefer this than a light hold gel. I get ringlets too with this. I still get frizz compared to when using gel but the fact that I can be gel free with this is good enough for me. Will try the cantu coconut curling cream next.

Edit 9/15/17: I am doing a mass return to Kroger on all the new products I bought that aren't CG. I am CG again and this IS CG so go for that #win!!! I'll be keeping this.
---
Original review:

I put this in damp hair after I've done my makeup with some Aussie freeze gel & Pantene "air" spray have had good results. I'm experimenting w cantu products this is the first one I've tried so far so good with rewetting my hair w a little homemade sea salt spray, more of this, & hairspray. The hold of this is light & flexible I tend to rake my hands thru my hair (habit) & my hands don't get caught.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Thanks to a couple of reviewers who mentioned that a little bit goes a long way. WOW! I was ready to toss it...at first I thought it weighed my hair down and made it feel coated but then I realized I was using way too much. I then only applied about a nickel size amount and my hair looked and felt amazing. I have more of a beachy wave to my hair, not totally curly but this made them look great, no frizz, healthy, bouncy and separated. I am so glad I didn't toss this!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I love this curl activator cream and have repurchased it at least 3 times. A little goes a long way so the bottle lasts. I use it after I wash and condition my hair while it's still wet or damp and will remoisturize with it on dry hair when needed. If your hair is fine or thin be careful because this product will weigh you hair down. For the kinky thick haired girls I can't recommend this enough.