Tarte Shape tape

Tarte Shape tape
Shape tapeShape tapeShape tapeShape tapeShape tape

4.1

on 4/27/2017 12:59:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I finally decided to break down and order this. Every time it came in at my local Ulta, it would sell out immediately and I was unable to try it. After reading the reviews I narrowed down the color that would work for me and ordered it online. Overall, I really like this concealer, and I'm the girl who has a drawer of probably 30 concealers trying to find one that gives enough coverage and doesn't crease. First, this comes in a huge container. The wand does seem a bit ridiculous because of the size. I've watched YouTube tutorials where people are slathering it all over their face which is unnecessary. I only need two tiny dots under each eye, and sometimes that's a little bit too much. I've had the best luck using a Beauty Blender to buff it out and it seems to set it. Sometimes I go back in for a second layer, but honestly, the coverage is really good and better than most concealer's I've tried. I do get a slight bit of creasing and eyeliner transfer, but I think that's just me as every single concealer I've ever tried does this. Overall, I think this is excellent and the coverage is great. The formula is scented, but it's a pleasing flowery scent. Definitely give this a try if you've forever hunting for the perfect concealer.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Holy crap. Look no further. I've left plenty of concealer reviews, and have been more or less impressed by all of them, but this blows every other concealer out the water. Took me awhile to give in because all of the hype was a turn-off for me, as I'm usually let down by things with such rave reviews. But this truly is HG, best on the market.

It is a little thick, and I'm not a full coverage girl by any means. But once it sets, it doesn't feel like I have too much on my face. There is a little creasing, but nothing too obvious and far less (with much better coverage) than any other concealer I've tried.

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer creases much more than this, and with less coverage. I find them to be about equally drying.

Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer has about the same amount of creasing, but also with less coverage and something about it just looks not as good as the Tarte (not to mention, you're paying more for UD for half the amount of concealer!)

Kat Von D Lock-It Concealer Creme is about equally drying, if not a little more. Provides slightly less coverage and just doesn't look as good as the Tarte overall, but not bad either. Tarte is easier to blend.

Wet N Wild Photofocus has more creasing and was drier for me. Also less coverage. Probably the closest drugstore option though.

There's just something about this concealer that is truly amazing!!

on 4/26/2017 12:05:00 PM

I do like this. I think the logic behind it was for facial highlight/contouring but most people seem to want it for undereye concealer, which is why I got it. I got it in December/early Janurary when a lot of colors were always sold out. I picked it up in "tan" for blemish concealing and "light medium" for undereyes. I figured when I got more of a tan in the warmer weather I would use these shades more. So I left them and continued using my Nyx HD(which I also love). Curiousity got the best of me and I busted these open. They smell really good, almost kind of lemoney/floral. The wand is HUGE! But, that being said, a little goes a longggg way because this is very thick/pigmented so $25 is a good price because I think this will last awhile. I definitley use the light medium more than the tan, but light medium is a little too dark for what I want for my underye area, at least for now. So I typically will add 2-3 dots spaced out under my eye and then add some of the Nyx HD in "fair" (which is VERY light) and mix/blend it together with my finger and shape into a triangle. I've used tan a little for spot concealing, carving my brows, over my cheeks for extra pore/scar concealing and I even used it all over my face as foundation on Easter. It was ok like that, a little dry and I think the color is too dark for me right now but a little covered my whole face! Maybe i'll try it as a liquid contour or bronzer, we'll see. I set the undereye with the ELF undereye setting powder. I've never really paid attention to creases under my eye, but now I do a little more and sometimes there's a little bit regardless of what I wear but it doesn't bother me. Not everything can be perfect lol. Also, I don't have crazy dark circles or anything, a little bit and want to add brightness udner the eyes. I blend this down and to the temples. Overall I really do like this and will repurchase if when/I run out! I would probably recosnider the colors, though and am not 100% sure i'd buy another for the face, just undereye area.

on 4/25/2017 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have used a few concealers in my time, but love this one the most. It's creamier than Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown and has much more oomph than the benefit stuff I've used - the camouflage, lemonade, and the Oh La Lift.

In spite of how creamy it is and how easily it goes on, the coverage is remarkable and I always feel great when I wear it. I apply it and marvel at the coverage.

on 4/25/2017 9:21:00 PM

This product is absolutely amazing. First of all, the lightest shade actually matches my skin tone (I'm a pale girl) and it blends out really well and masks dark circles very well. I use a color corrector underneath it and it looks absolutely flawless. This covers redness very well as well. It also can make for a good concealer to conceal veins on your face.

on 4/25/2017 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this product very excitedly after watching a video featuring it by Rachhloves, where she tried a bunch of Instagram-hyped makeup products. She loved it, and raved about what it does for under-eye circles. I have serious under-eye circles, so I was like "no need for color correction before concealer? YAS" and bought it immediately. Well, the magic just isn't there. I honestly feel like it give less coverage than other, much cheaper brands I've purchased. I see no reason to buy this instead of any drugstore brand, honestly. It doesn't do what it claims, at least not for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Worth the hype. Covers, is creamy. Great if like me you're over 30 and you have fine lines under your eyes. Yes, it sits is them (they all do) but it sits in them A. LOT less than other ones.

It took me a while to get on the Shape Tape train....and I am really regretting it! I keep two shades on hand and often blend them to get just the right match. This concealer is just phenomenal. I normally don't like a "heavier" concealer, even though I have serious dark circles to contend with (Thanks Mom!), and I don't know that I would classify this as super thick because it all depends on how much you use. The doe foot applicator is great, although it's one of the biggest I've ever seen on a concealer, so do be careful that you don't over do it. It doesn't take much, but there since I started using this exclusively as my concealer, I have NO lines or creasing and it stays put all day, even if I don't "bake" it. I have dry under eyes and really use a heavy eye cream underneath and it still doesn't slip. I highly recommend it, especially considering the price point for a name brand concealer isn't that bad! A "holy grail" beauty item for me!

on 4/13/2017 10:19:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Omg this stuff is amazing! I had previously been using Rimmel's 2 in 1 brightening concealer but I was tired of how patchy it would get after a few hours. I decided to try this because of the insane popularity it's gotten. I got the shade in "fair neutral."

I have dark circles and have had them since I was 15. They're a huge insecurity of mine. I've tried NARS creamy concealer (creased), rimmel 2 in 1 brightening concealer (patchy after awhile), maybelline age rewind (no coverage), and loads others.

This stuff covers them SO well. It is definitely full coverage. It blends beautifully and it seriously lasts all day. By the end of my 8 hour work day my dark circles are still covered and the concealer hasn't creased into my fine lines.

It's rather pricy but it comes in a large tube so I think it's definitely a good bargain. You seriously don't even need to use a lot. I swipe the doe foot on the back of my hand and then use my fingers to put little dots underneath my eyes. I blend them out with my ring finger and my real techniques sponge.

Pros
Covers my dark circles
Doesn't crease
Lasts all day
Full coverage
Good amount of product for the price

Cons
Contains fragrance which could cause irritation
I've never liked doe foot applicators. It's a great way to get bacteria in the tube. I make sure to swipe it on my clean hand to counteract this.
Only Ulta exclusive, so if you don't have an Ulta near you it may be tough to find a color match.

I'm so happy that I've found a great concealer. If my opinion is to change then I will definitely update. Great job, Tarte!

on 4/11/2017 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm a huge concealer girl, since I was blessed with hereditary dark circles and eye bags to boot. I must have tried at least 50 in my lifetime and I'm not THAT old. So when the internet just about burst into flames with this "omg-makes-pandas-look-white" raves, of course I had to try it.

This is not available in my country, so I bought both Light Neutral and Light-Medium for my NC25 skintone. I think if you figure that no one is going to peer at you 5 inches from your face, both are quite good matches. But if I had to pick one, I'd go with Light Neutral. Light-Medium is just a hair darker, ie same shade as my skintone, so better to go lighter for under eye concealing.

Was it everything I thought it would be? Yes...and no.

Yes: It is as opaque as everyone says it is. This one covers almost like paint. So after applying, I look magically awake and bright-eyed. The amazing thing is that as thick as it is, it looks natural and doesn't crease, even after four hours. There was some wear and dark patches had begun to show, but it's as good a cover as I've ever experienced.

But (and there's a but, of course!) the downside about this concealer is that it takes A LOT of effort to apply. Because it's so thick and pasty, I had to spend double the time I usually took just to blend, otherwise my cheeks looked like I walked into a freshly painted wall. This is a huge con because if you think nothing looks worse than having dark circles, it's looking like you have correction tape under your eyes. I was so paranoid about this that it took me forever to get my face ready.

I compared the wear to the other concealers I'm currently using:

Maybelline Fit Me - Tarte won. Maybelline couldn't last beyond 3 hours
Becca compact concealer - Tarte won. Becca started to crease after 4 hours.
Cle de Peau - Tarte won. CDP sadly lost dismally both in coverage and creasing
Giorgio Armani High Precision Retouch - Ties. Both similar in coverage and no creasing

Based on the above results, I'm going to say Shape Tape is good but I get the same results with Armani, so am going to stick with the latter, since application is waaaaaay easier and less time-consuming. The only downside about Armani is the crazy price tag, so choose your poison depending on whether you wanna save money or time :)