Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer

maybelline’s fit me was probably my go to concealer until yt kept talking about this nonstop so ofc i had to try it it has a full coverage on my skin, i have mild redness and the occasional breakout and it covers. it dries to a powdery finish, so im not sure how well dry skin ppl would like this im in between shades, and this oxidizes a little bit, i think im light sand, i never totally figured it out it wears all day on my skin. it was $24 when it first released and now its $27 usd. but still ok considering how much product there is.

on 7/8/2018 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't regret buying it, but it didn't live up to the hype for me. I wanted to try it because people said it had very good coverage... And I can't agree on that. Finding the right color was hard - I literally had to swatch it 5 times (different days) before I decided on the color...

I'm about NC25 right now, and I bought this in the color Light-Neutral to use underneath my eyes and under my nose. It's a very good color for that, but I expected more from the coverage. Before this, I used the Ulta Full Coverage Liquid concealer in Light Warm, mixed with the Ulta Color Correcting Liquid Concealer in Pink, and I got more coverage out of those. Price-wise they are actually not that different per oz, but the Ulta concealer mix has better coverage and stays on for longer without creasing. The Shape Tape is more comfortable to apply - it is thin and less sticky than the Ulta concealer, but it actually creases slightly more, which I'm not that happy about. I can see it gathering in lines under my nose, even though I barely have any. I also mix this with some Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer in 06 to use on my blemishes.

I wouldn't say that this is a full coverage concealer, more like medium/full. For me, this is what I choose for lighter makeup days, actually. Would recommend for those who don't need super full coverage, and those who like to use concealer instead of foundation, as this is 10 mL/0.338 fl.oz., and light enough to be used on bigger areas. If you decide to try it out, you definitely need to swatch this in store and wait till it oxidizes, as this oxidizes about one shade on me. As this seems to accentuate lines, I don't recommend it for people who have a lot of fine lines

on 6/30/2018 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I'm always looking for a good concealer that will cover under eye circles, the constant redness around my nose, and the occasional blemish that might pop up. I've been using this concealer since it first came out, and I have to say it does those things very well. I use Fair Neutral for my natural, non sunless-tanned skin tone, and Light-Medium when I've used self-tan. It does a great job at covering, has great lasting power, and doesn't settle into creases or make my skin look dry or cakey. My only complaint about this product is the packaging. It's a bigger tube, which is great because you get a ton of product! But the doe-foot applicator is also very large, which usually results in me applying too much product and somehow ends up creating a huge mess. I understand the reason for it being larger since it's meant for contouring, although it's still not completely necessary. No matter how careful I am when I put the applicator back in the tube, it somehow ends up getting everywhere and then squishing outside of the tube as I'm twisting the cap back on. It's to the point where I can't even carry it with me in my makeup bag because it's gotten on everything so many times. The only way I can avoid it is if I wipe around the tube each time I use it before putting it back in my bag, which isn't always convenient if I'm using it on-the-go. I've also repeatedly wiped away tons of excess product from where the wand screws into the tube (wasted product) in hopes that it would stop the problem, but it only lasts one or two more applications before product gets all over it again. I said I would repurchase, but I'm going to try the Too Faced Born This Way concealer next to see if that works as well without the mess. I do prefer Shape Tape over Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer as it covers better, is longer lasting, and it costs less yet you get way more product.

on 6/28/2018 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this after all the rave reviews online and on YouTube. However, I don't know how people put so much of this stuff on. I wanted to love it, but it just looked too cakey and dry on me. I have oily skin, but my undereyes are a bit dry. I also has too light a shade on, which didn't help. This stuff just kind of crusted in the corner of my eye and accentuated fine lines. I also hated the packaging--it just all gunked up around the opening! I tried Too Faced Born This way (original) instead, and it too settled into fine lines and didn't cover that well. I tried It Cosmetics Bye Bye instead and it did a much better job. I'm considering trying the new Too Faced concealer, but don't know if it'll work on me.

on 6/22/2018 12:18:00 PM

I haven't written a review in a while, but its certainly not because I stopped searching for the perfect products. Concealer is, and always has been, at the tippy top of my priority list because I have the worst dark circles. Add my natural aging along with it, and now they're dark AND a bit creasy. I have absolutely, no exaggeration, sampled at least 90% of the concealers that are available to consumers. For 20+ years, I've been trying different ones constantly. Nars, BM, MAC, Loreal, Cle de peau, Covergirl, and on and on and on. sometimes they'd work okay (most were total failures), but none had ever covered, stayed, and not creased, not looked dried and cakey, etc. I had to settle (no pun intended) for what I could get, and just deal. I finally tried Tarte Shape Tape, and the moment I'd been waiting for since I was a teenager, finally happened. This stuff covers, looks flawless, stays all day, and does not crease. I discovered that I have to use my finger, and lightly dab it, adding light layers until covered. it dries so quickly, so you have to work fast and use very small amounts at a time. I used a couple different brushes, and it went on WAAAAAY too heavy. haven't tried a blender yet, but my finger works so perfectly that I don't really plan on it. I just sweep a bit of powder on and it's good to go for the whole day. Wish it was in a squeeze tube, cause I don't use the big clunky doe foot applicator at all, except to dab it onto my fingertip. Also, of course I wish it was less expensive, but it's not so unreasonable that I can't keep it on hand all the time. Praise the concealer gods that I finally found this product!

on 6/18/2018 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have put off reviewing this forever. It is so popular, how can I be so not pleased with it. But alas, I am. It offers nice coverage and a little goes a long way. However, it just wasn't for me and here are the reasons why:

1) From the start, finding a "perfect" color match wasn't proving easy for my deep winter, neutral but pinky skin with a weird golden undertone.

2) Too drying for under the eye area where I really need it. Maybe it is me and my 43 year old, dark circled, dry skin what ever...but oh my goodness...this just never blended well and left my skin looking OLD.

3) This gets so much love in this Instaglam age. But I prefer to never see product on my face. Bold lip color or eye color...great. But I never want to SEE the makeup or powder on my face. This is my preference. I feel like Shape Tape is better suited for those that want that full polished, perfect, made up look. I like my skin to look like skin. If I use a foundation, I use MAC F&B. When I use this on other parts of my skin, it is just so heavy and visible and doesn't seem to melt into my skin. I tried to use just this for a beach vacation....big mistake. I am going back to my trusted NARS RCC for those kind of days.

Bottom line is this was not written on a whim. I have been playing with this stuff and gave it such a chance because of all the praise for over a year. And I am officially giving up.

on 6/6/2018 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this concealer due to its hype but after reading the reviews here I was worried it would not work out for me. I have oily skin and I have noticed some concealers crease under my eyes and make me look older. This concealer does not crease and looks good after a whole day at work! I have not tried many concealers for my undereyes as I don’t have dark circles but in the past I’ve been using MAC pro longwear concealer for my undereyes and that one does not crease. I would say this one is similar to pro longwear but with this you can contol how much you use because it has a wand applicator. I have also used this to cover my hyperpigmentation from acne on my face and it works wonders. Highly recommend and would definitely buy more.

on 5/19/2018 4:29:00 AM

I am on a quest for a concealer that does not settle in line creases. Tarte shape tape was good for highlighting and shaping around my eyebrows but as far as an undereye concealer...I returned it. The formula is rather thick and pigmented and difficult to blend. It dries quickly to a matte finish, and settles into lines easily. I tried several techniques to give it a fair go, with powder to set, without , with a brush with a bit of setting spray to set, oil instead of under eye moisturizer underneath, under eye primer, none helped.

on 5/18/2018 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am disappointed with this concealer. I tried it on at Ulta and the salesperson kept saying how fantastic it is and I caved. Maybe I expect too much from a concealer, but on me it wasn't a holy grail at all. I have bad dark undereye circles and dry skin and the Tarte seemed to find every little line. I applied over eye cream and NYX color corrector (love that!) and It did give good coverage but it dried down thick and cakey.

I need to try it by itself, not over the color corrector. So far, I like Lancome's Effacernes and By Terry Touche Veloute much better.

Its so cakey, it adds +10-15 ages to your face. It might work when u have very oily skin but if ur skin is normal/dry, avoid this concealer. Coverage is medium to full.