Almay Intense I-Color Volume Mascara Mocha (for green eyes)

Almay Intense I-Color Volume Mascara Mocha (for green eyes)

3.0

on 5/3/2016 12:15:00 PM

I wanted a brown mascara and the only ones I was finding was either cheaper brands that didn't work for me, or pricier ones.

I already knew the cheap ones I'd tried didn't work, and I didn't feel like spending $20 or $25 on a high-end one, so this was a good compromise. I used a coupon to score $1 off and for around $7 it's not bad.

I oddly like that it's called Mocha, and not brown or black-brown. It's branding, but since I love coffee and coffee drinks, it had its appeal. The color is something like dark roasted coffee beans, too, and there's a bit of shimmer. The packaging says there are "eye-brightening crystals" in the formula to intensify eye color. I have no idea if that means glitter or if it means some kind of mica. But I don't notice any issues with glittery bits in my eyes.

The formula works equally well for volumizing and lengthening. I think it actually works better to build length for me, which is fine. Initially I wasn't wild about the brush, which is big and bushy and not slim and plasticky, but I've adjusted.

I wanted a brown mascara that boosted my lashes, and this works better than I expected. I need a lot of coats for drama, and the packaging even says use 25 strokes for maximum volume (insane, but honest), so it's fair. They don't promise 2000 percent more lash volume -- it actually says you can double the volume of your lashes, which is realistic, and I see better results than they promise. The color works well to make my eyes stand out a bit more, too. I wasn't sure a dark brown would really work with my green eyes, as a way to make them look more intense, but it does work.

Overall, I'm happy with this. If I want a more subtle look, I'll apply a coat or two, and if I want drama, I'll swipe on some more layers.

on 3/14/2016 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I know there are better mascaras, but I've used this product for years and I always have a tube. It's really not that volumizing, it's actually kind of heavy on my lashes. But it really, really makes my eyes pop. If k don't feel like doing the whole shabang, eyeshadow and liner, I put some of this little guy on and feel half made up. A good staple to have.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used Almay mascaras in the past, and generally love them. I ran out and decided to try their new "for green eyes" mascara because it was the only mascara I could find that was brown. The color is great, but there are HUGE flecks of glitter in the mascara! It is really annoying because as you look around, the glitter reflects light and so you see little sparks everywhere. Maybe that'd fun for a party or something, but when you're trying to focus on work, its super obnoxious. The glitter does nothing to make your eyes sparkle, so I don't really get the point. The formula for the mascara seems wrong as well...it's super flakey and gets dust underneath your eyes after only a few hours of wear.

I was also disappointed with the wand. The bristles are scarce and so it clumps your lashes. Plus the glitter leaves chunks in your lashes.

If I could give this less than 1 star I would. Love the color, but Almay needs to fix everything else.