MAC Prep and Prime Fix+

MAC Prep and Prime Fix+

4.1

Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caffeine, Panthenol, Arginine, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol

on 7/25/2016 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I love this product. I've seen a lot of bad reviews on it, but I feel like that's because people have a misconception of what it is

This is NOT a setting spray. This will not set your makeup, or make it last longer in any way.

This is simply a mist that adds life to your make up. I love it to give me a nice dewy look (I'm not a fan of matte) and I've been using it for a while.

I typically use this with a setting spray (currently Urban Decay All Nighter), and I'm still trying to figure out if it works best if used before or after your setting spray.

Over all, this is a great product, the only thing that could make it better is if they made a product that was similar but was an actual setting spray.

on 7/16/2016 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

In truth I don't fully know how I feel about this product. At the moment it's quite marmite for me. Sounds crazy considering I gave it four stars but when I thought about it more I realized I didn't have much to gripe about. So first the downsides of this product that made me take off that one lippie:

- In my opinion, I think it's overpriced for what you get. I paid 27 dollars for this product.
- I've heard the ingredients are nothing special and that you can just make your own mixture at home that would be equally as good. Which leads back to my first point. I have yet to try this out but honestly if I did one day and liked the results I would never buy this spray again.
- it finishes up really quickly so you have to buy a new one every couple of months

Now on to why I like it:
- It prolongs the wear if my makeup. YES - I SAID IT. It actually makes my makeup last a whole lot longer, and if I'm having a good day where I'm not sweating or stressed or bored (hence touching my face a lot) my makeup remains in place and doesn't budge at all. I don't know how, even though it's not designed for that. At first I thought it was all in my head but after extensive use for a month I can safely say that yes, it sets my makeup. I have used this setting spray in Rome, in the summer, when the temperature was 36C and i was sweating buckets. My makeup did come off but not nearly as much as when I do not put any on. So heck, if it passed the test in Rome then I can confidently confirm what I'd said above.

- it's a multi-purpose product. I use it to prime my face (the makeup glides on more smoothly), to dilate my BB cream (it's quite a thick consistency and is patchy without the spray) and sometimes I spritz it on my beauty blender though I don't think that does much in truth.

I do not wear eyeshadow so I have not tested how it affects pigmentation and lasting power in those regards.

- Lastly, the finish, OH MY GOD, THE FINISH! I am not one to rave, but honestly: I am using a BB cream that is pretty good but difficult to work with. As I mentioned earlier, it needs to be applied on enough places on my face else it will be patchy, and is of an extremely thick consistency. I loved the finish it gave but it took too long to work with (it's the Nivea BB cream in the shade Light, by the way.). I thought I wouldn't buy it again and instead get something more user friendly by the time for when I go back to university, as it would not be helpful in the morning. But this spray changed everything... Application was ten times easier, it glided on more smoothly and blended in well. Patchiness was gone. AND THE FINISH: the results were beautiful with the BB cream, but the spray made it reach the stars. I have the most beatiful dewy, glowy, smooth complexion I have ever had. HOWEVER: I will note that this is with the aid of a Beauty blender. When I don't use the beauty blender I get pretty much the same results but not as sheer a coverage.

So yeah, this spray kind of changed my life. I am a little skeptical and not very loyal to it. If I find a cheaper option for equally better results, or find that water is just as good, or manage to make my own DIY spray that does exactly the same, I will dump this and save those 27 dollars on something else.

Another note: because I spritz it onto my face (both before and after makeup), and onto my beauty blender and my hand where I have dabbed some BB cream, it finishes up pretty quickly. That's quite a bummer since it's expensive.

To Read all 1389 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

My boyfriend got this for me since I have been wanting to try it out. I've heard of all types of uses for this product such as spraying your damp hair with it and of course using it as a setting spray. I tried everything. The only thing that actually impressed me was the fact that it can enhance the pigmentation of eyeshadows... But then again, so can water. So I will not be purchasing another one of these.

on 7/13/2016 4:39:00 PM

I do like this product, although when I bought it I thought it was a setting spray. Doesn't make my makeup last longer, but it does make my makeup look dewier and more natural.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This doesn't do much for my skin. I mainly spray it on my brush before applying eyeshadow or after I apply highlighter. I love the smell but honestly I don't think this is a must have for my everyday makeup routine.

on 7/9/2016 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My disclaimer is that I probably do not know how to use this product. It's $27 a bottle (100ml = 3.4ounces).

Basically, this is NOT a setting spray. I use my Urban Decay de slick spray for that.

And as a prep for my skin, well, I have moisturiser and primer for that.

This product is to refresh your make up during the day. However, I must admit my make up doesn't really need this. It's more like, during the day, I need blotting paper, and a re application of some make up. My skin tends to be oily, so if I use too much powder, I tend to leave it (because sure enough, my oil will ooze through anyway).

Some people also say you can use this to wet your eyeshadow and get it a darker color. But you can use things like water, your contact lens solution, or UD de slick spray for the same thing.

You can easily make your own. For eg., on http://www.beautyandblog.com/2011/12/dupe-it-yourself-mac-fix-plusmakeup.html (I am NOT affiliated with the site), the author recommends 1/2 spoon glycerine to 1 spoon water, and 1/2 spoon rose water. Another alternative that feels nice is just to use the rose water alone.

So apart from the fact that my own Mac Fix it spray has been sitting in the cupboard for a year, even if it were to run out - I would suggest making your own. I think this product is best for those with dry skin, and those who hate a powdery look. I would suggest those with oilier complexions to beware.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that this is called Fix+, yet it's not a setting spray. I'll admit that my makeup does look rather nice and dewy for a while after using this, but then my skin gets even oilier than usual and my makeup gets smear-y and can't be rescued. However, I've found that my eyebrow powder goes on much smoother and more precise when I use this as a primer and I'll be looking into even more alternative uses for this product soon so as not to waste an almost-full bottle of it.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This is just a Micellar water, but it's by far the best I've ever tried. I've heard that the brand Simple is almost the same with the exception of a couple ingredients like caffeine, which this one has and the Simple brand doesn't. How they stack up against each other, I don't know, but I'm tempted to put the Simple brand to the test by putting it in a spray bottle and see how it performs.

But then again maybe I won't, because I love this stuff. It does everything from hydrate and give my face a much needed pick-me-up, to giving finished makeup a more natural look.

I don't know if I believe that it sets makeup though, especially because it was never marketed that way until lots of us started using it at the end of our makeup routine instead of using a traditional setting spray. Either way, it's a great product and I totally recommend checking it out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Saw other reviews so I gave this a go. The spray gives a nice mist, not as fine as Evian but it doesn't come out in globs either. It also provides just a touch of moisture which is nice during the winter. It did help to set my makeup, I just had to give it about 30 seconds to dry. I sprayed it after applying all my makeup. Keeps my makeup looking good by the end of the day.

on 6/14/2016 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Sooooooooo disappointed with this product. I wanted to love this after all the rave reviews, but no. It's not a fixing spray & does nothing after it's been applied - so what's the point???? Additionally it makes my skin ultra oily! Oily skinned ladies beware.

Popular Face Skincare Products