Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by age: 30-35
Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.3

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I know I say this a lot, but my goodness do I love this palette. My heart skipped a beat when I first saw it and bought it ASAP when sephora released it. The colors are so so so buttery and opaque.
It comes housed in an adorable chocolate bar inspired tin. The packaging, while cute...leaves much to be desired. It does not close/lock securely. It actually had a plastic insert with the color names that is supposed to stay on top of the shadows, but it slides right out from inside the case. The first few times I opened it I got the delicious chocolate aroma, but it has since subsided.
The colors are a gorgeous mix of browns, golds and some pink/purple shades. There is a beautiful highlight color as well. The sparkly purple (candied violet) does take some effort to apply, but when done right, it's is superb. I absolutely love this palette! I thought that having all 3 UD Naked palettes would make owning this palette a non-necessity, but that is so not the case!! I can't imagine now owning it. It was a bit steep in price, but really, worth every penny.

on 1/22/2014 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I was looking for a good neutral palette and really eyeing Naked 2. I was sure that would be the one. I saw others that were 'nice', but either too small (less shadows but close in price to make it more worth it to buy the larger ones) or colors that were too similar/not interesting enough to me. I loved how smooth and high quality the Nakeds were, that there were some mattes in there and I didn't have any yet. However, I am more of a color girl, but wanted something more subtle, and the Nakeds were really nice but very along one or two color lines.

So when I saw this I was drawn in. It's neutral, many colors (16!) but not ONLY browns/taupes or coppers. I envisioned so many looks I could do, not only with this but in addition to all my other shadows. I liked that it had the larger base and highlight/brow bone colors that I could use with *any* look, I liked that there were many mattes of differing colors, I liked that there were shimmers that were greenish, reddish, brownish, light, dark and medium shades, etc. It seemed like a great buy for all those shades. Another cool thing I discovered was "Triple Fudge" as a liner color. I have never used a shadow as a liner but that seemed like the perfect color for it. *Update: I just started filling my brows (yesterday). I really don't need a lot since they are thick and dark, but I did use this as a brow powder and it's really fantastic for that too*

A few things that worried me were that the color payoff of a few shades. The Black Forest Truffle and Candied Violet (and cherry cordial a little bit as well) seemed to have some shimmer fall out. However, the color pay off turned out to be great with a primer, and the shimmers didn't even fall out as much when it was on as it had when I made a quick swatch. I would say Candied Violet is the exception though, that color is pretty but don't expect the glitter to stay on, it absolutely does not. Even with a great primer it's very weak applied (much lighter than it appears) but still pretty.

When I got the palette, I also noticed the packaging being a little cheaper/smudges on it than expected even though it is adorable. I agree about the magnet being weak. It's fine for my dresser and I even thought it was cool that it had a magnet in the first place, but I would not feel safe traveling with it either. I didn't realize the smell until I had mine, so it wasn't a selling point that made me want it, but I do love it now that I realize!

These colors are formulated in such a high quality way that they outshine my other shadows BY FAR. When I do a simple natural look with this, I feel bright and awake. It draws attention and light to your eyes and is such a confidence booster. My favorite so far is marzipan, I use it as a shadow and highlight sooo often. Triple Fudge, a great basic dark matte brown for deep creases, brows and liner. Salted Caramel, obvious and perfect transition though great on the lid too. The Strawberry Bon Bon is amazing. The bottom left 3 shimmer brows are perfect. And who doesn't love Champagne Truffle. I usually get drugstore shadows, but they often fall flat in matte colors where these mattes are not muddy or dull at all.

So overall, I'm super happy with the colors and the quality of this palette. I think I made the right choice for me. Though I'm generally a bargain buyer and don't usually buy something so expensive, it's very worth it price wise if you are the type to only buy a few palettes instead of individual shadows. I used a gift card to be able to get mine and I'm happy I got to treat myself to something so nice. Years later I can def still call this HG and something I'd actually plunk down full price for. And I never pay full price lol.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I love this palette SO MUCH. I've been using it for a solid two weeks now and I have no plans to return to Naked 3, 2, 1 or Lorac Unzipped or UD Smoked or any of my 753376538 MAC shadows etc etc any time soon. There are several reasons I will be ignoring all of my other shadows for who knows how long:
1. The smell. These shadows obviously smell like chocolate. I am not a morning person. Every morning that whiff of cocoa when I dip my brush in whatever shade I choose to use first puts my mood from groggy and pissy to happy and comforted in an instant. I guess I am very susceptible to the soothing powers of chocolate.
2. The colors. I have used every single color in this palette and have loved every look I have achieved with it. For my coloring- about NC30 skin, blonde hair, green eyes- all the shades in this palette are not only flattering, they are complimentary. Having those burgundy shades really sets this over the top for me because no colors will make my green eyes stand out like red based colors. I don't have to reach for any other shadows to complete a look. Using any other palette I own, I would have to reach elsewhere for a hi lite for the brow, or maybe a blender color. But not here. For the vast majority of my days, I wear a softly smokey eye done with warm colors. This lets me do several variations of that with a little purple for fun.
3. The quality. All of the shadows are wonderfully pigmented, smooth and easily workable. There are a few with teeny glitters, and the glitter stays on the eyes if I press the shadow on or it easily is tapped away from my brush if I choose to do so. I have no fading or creasing through the day. I always prime with UDPP in Eden, so nothing really ever fades or creases on my primed lids.
4. The packaging/presentation. This is just a cute palette. It looks like a chocolate bar. Inside it has an overlay on the shadows with the names, just like a box of nice chocolates. It's very sturdy and has a nice weight to it. It opens and closes without an issue (hem HEM Naked 3). It's just fun to use. Makes me happy.
So again, I adore this and it is my favorite makeup purchase in some time. I would give up all my naked palettes for it. I am going to update this review when I move on from this palette. I don't even know why I'd stray at this point, but it will be worth making note of if it makes me as happy as this palette.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this chocolate bar. I had one Too Faced "Sexy" palette before and I didn't like it at all. I tried all the colors at Sephora and decided to give this brand another try. I am glad I did. All the colors are very pigmented and beautiful, a very good pallete, there are shimmer colors, matt colors, very easy to work with. I think they are very thoughtful that they put two light shadows (the matt white one and the shimmer white one" with extra quantity, because I use both more often, almost every look, so, good job! It also has chocolate smell. I love chocolate, so I am very happy about it. For whom don't like chocolate smell, maybe won't be the pallete for you. I also uploaded some photos, hope would be helpful.

The only thing I don't like is the packaging. How to put this, for mine, it doesn't close/click properly, also I think the container can be thinner, would be easier to travel.

on 2/17/2014 9:44:00 AM

I have such mixed feelings about this palette. I think the packaging is absolutely adorable and the shadows are very great quality, I just don't think it's a must-have as far as the eyeshadow shades go.

The colors are all warm and very similar, which makes it a bit redundant if you already have palettes like UD N1, LORAC Unzipped, etc. I made myself use this for one week straight and it was difficult to find 'everyday' wearable looks since there are only a few lighter shades. The majority of them are on the darker side, which make it more suited towards a night-time palette.

Am absolutely in love with the Too Faced chocolate bar eye shadows pallette. I only wish that the strawberry bon bon colour was a touch more pigmented which would then make this pallete perfect. The colours are smooth and blend so well together and the combination of looks is limitless. I also love the smell of chocolate

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I was sold once I learned the palette smelled like chocolate and looks like a chocolate bar. I love the shades which are highly pigmented and blend really well. I love that most shades are bold so I don't have to layer it on so much. I'm pleased with my purchase and looking forward to trying more products from this brand.

I love love love this palette. The colors are beautiful, blend very well, and omg smell amazing. No lie, I walk over to this palette all the time and open it just to smell it. Genius idea to market a chocolate smelling eye shadow palette to women. I have every single Urban Decay Naked palette, several Too Faced palettes, and a very large Tarte palette, yet this one is the only one I reach for now.

on 5/30/2014 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Is this palette gorgeous or what?! I heart it so much! This not only smells beautiful- it really does have amazing neutral shades with some pops of color! You can create so many looks with this palette, it's not even funny. You can go from a very light lovely day look, to a more intense sexy date night look- all the way to special event looks! It carries a great mix of shimmer and matte shades- and there are a couple of glittery shades, such as candied violet...which I did experience some slight fallout with, but nothing too cray. All shades are absolutely stunning and there are some awesome transition shades as well- hello Salted Caramel! If you are a neutral shadow girl and love the warmer tones, get this palette- you will not be disappointed.

on 6/15/2014 12:01:00 AM

I'm a palette collector so I don't need anymore shadows but did I want this? Oh heck yes and so far it is just wonderful! First the scent I love it, and I like how the properties of these shadows are more towards benefiting the skin. I'm usually a bright shadow kind of girl but this is a great mix of some colour that I love and neutrals which, I need to start loving because I'm not getting any younger.;) I like to prime let that sit then apply NYX white base only to my lid. You can use the base or not for me I prefer it because it makes the purple Candied Violet and Black Forest Truffle show up amazing! It works very well for Strawberry Bon Bon too if you are not on the fair side. For me with shadows primer is a must and these go on very well. Nice and buttery:)

I have also noticed these are highly pigmented and the right brush makes all the difference like with the Violet and Truffle I use my Mac 239 it picks those shades up perfectly and deposited the shade true to pan on my lids. Also you really only need to touch your brush to the shade to get a lot of pigment. I prefer to start light and build my colour intensity up. I have found with these only Milk Chocolate took some extra blending time. Some might find the pink too light. For me I adore everything about this and was surprised by the lackluster blog reviews. Hence why I usually go with MUA on a lot of my makeup purchases.

I have been using this everyday since I got it and for me the colors last all day and do not blob together at all. I love using Champagne Truffle on the inner eye and lid, Strawberry Bon Bon in the middle and either Candied Violet or Black Forest Truffle on the end going into my lower lash line. I like Semi Sweet, Milk Chocolate, and Marzipan, Hazelnut, and Haute Chocolate in the crease I play with those main colours and add others or take away depending on my mood. Cherry Cordial another amazing shade that makes a good liner as well. I use White Chocolate usually on the whole lid brow bone or to blend out shades.

As a palette collector this was a must have for me! If you have a ton of neutrals unlike me you could pass but if you don't own a lot or feel that you don't this is excellent because it gives you a bit of both worlds. Plus I love how these are good for your skin and I really like the whole chocolate concept and this was done right where it is not cheesy. This is just an awesome palette I'm so glad I gave in it is totally worth it! So Recommended!